How to convert thunderwolves

Oldenhaller

I have a question about the 50% gw model rule. So if I mount a space wolf on a non GW wolf mount, but since the wolf is bigger than the Space Marine then it's not tourney legal correct? I'm assuming its based on the mass of the model. Now if I were to add in some more "GW" stuff on the base, would this count toward the overall size of the model (such as dead dark elves, chaos bits, you get the idea) and be sufficient to "LEGALIZE" the model?

Um...no idea to be honest. I think it'd be down to the tournament organiser and checking with them. I've gone for making the wolf from a GW piece because as you say, it's more than 50% of the model. In my mind 'the model' being defined would be the unit choice you've gone for....anything else is just decoration and thus not part of the unit entry which defines what that model should be.

~O

front on prowling pic...

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f151/evil-jim/250920091058.jpg?t=1253914145

think it give a better impression of how the head looks. Tips of the ears have been recreated with greenstuff as I accidentally lopped them off in the conversion process :lol:

~O

I've just made a quick conversion of a Fenrisian wolf.

Maybe cutting and adding come greenstuff I can make a bigger wolf, a thunderwolf.

It was inspired by the illustration of the SW codex, the one of the Fenrisian wolves entry.

http://www.telefonica.net/web2/fjgarces/Varios/lobofenris01.jpg

http://www.telefonica.net/web2/fjgarces/Varios/lobofenris02.jpg

http://www.telefonica.net/web2/fjgarces/Varios/lobofenris03.jpg

Oldenhaller, your wolf looks very cool. With the GS work you already suggested it should come out absolutely ace. I would elongate the tail though, to make it more wolfy, although this mastiff-length tail could work well if you want him to look kinda hyena-like.

I know the rider isn't done, but may I make a few observations:

The head held back like that (nose in the air) combined with the straight left arm pointing down and the sword at a 90degree angle actually make him look like he's off balance, about to fall off. Fixing any or all of those would very much improve the rider's stance. You might also wanna put him forward, towards the wolf's shoulders, a bit more. I would go for a hunched forward pose - just look at the warg riders for LotR or even our very own Bike riders to get ideas.

EDIT

@fjgarces: wow what a wolfy! Too small for cav, but certainly a great improvement on the gobbo wolf. Ima nick that idea and use it on my fenrisian wolf pets. excellent. Also remnd me of the wolves in the movie 'Willow'. (now THAT'S a trip down memory lane... :) ).

Well I like the lion conversion and the gs work on the wolf, but they're just confirming what I already suspected.

The only way I'll be happy seeing a power armoured marine riding into battle is on a juggernaut conversion or similar sized model. Even the Hordes wolves just don't look strong enough.

This is just my own personal preference. I'll still be looking on in interest to see what others come up with.

Marek

what about using the warg models from the lord of the rings line? ive never seen hem but am wondering how they stand next to marine...???

They're really tiny, you would have a better chance with the WHFB wolfs from Orcs&Goblins. And they do not look like any wolf you would ever see in real life. I'd like to see if someone could GS sculpt a orc&goblin wolf to put a bit more mass on it, then see how the marine looked on top of it.

what about using the warg models from the lord of the rings line? ive never seen hem but am wondering how they stand next to marine...???

They're small, just a little taller than a marine's waist. Although, if you just need a model to represent twolves you could stick one or two plus marine on an appropriate size base. Same idea as the wulfen just not the hard to find/convert models.

well, here we are...

I've done a test piece and I think we can all see why we shouldn't use gobbo wolf rider wolves or anything too small

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f151/evil-jim/250920091048.jpg?t=1253910677

B)

While this was done as a joke - I'd already realized it'd be far too small I think it proves quite well that it won't work. I think that the same can be said of the wargs....from looking at the minis they're of a similar size just with terribly sculpted heads and no tails.

@Rao Cheers for the feedback fella, much appreciated. The marine needs a lot of work and I think I'll break him down and start again rather than try and repose. It's the head I think which make the problem and already being stuck it's somethig of a nuisance as removing it would have damaged the body/itself. Will see what I can do.

On the position front the issue becomes legs. They were the most tricky part of it as they had to be cut and repositioned to be wider without looking too goofy. I'd have like him to be sat further forward also however just behind the wolf's mane is layers of armour and straps and the back of it's shoulders which make this even more awkward looking. In this instance I took off the legs at the hips and shaved them to fit at the right angle. For the next one I think i'll disassemble them comepletely and then rebuild them with pinning so they fit correctly. I don't know if this will allow the marine to sit further forward but there'll definately be more balance.

*wander off hunting for old long fang legs to make an Ironpriest from....*

@Night Runner - Ta :)

Will be looking at making a whole unit eventually. At the moment it'll be these two, one more and then an Iron priest so i'll have a unit of three - probably two basic and one with t-hammer and storm shield. On arming them I'm tempted to start changing the close combat weapons for lances and the like....however not too sure if this'll look not quite wolfy enough.

@fjgarces - Wow...sweet looking fenrisioan wolf. Looks like they can be mean with the application of just a little green stuff...:D

~O

@fjgarces - Wow...sweet looking fenrisioan wolf. Looks like they can be mean with the application of just a little green stuff...:P

~O

Yes this is the idea :-) I't musn't be a lot of job because I'm going to convert 14 FR <_<

Javi

I was thinking of trying to convert an Empire Horse. With a head swap and then some green stuff work. I guess I was thinking that the horse would make a good "skeleton" for me to GS on. I'm no sculptor, but making a wolf pelt shouldn't be too hard. The wolf head could be from our own wolves, but may need some added detail to make it seem larger.

I also am no sculptor, but making wolf pelts with greenstuff is pretty cake. I made my first one the other night, and with something like the empire horse or high elf lions to base it off of, it should be pretty easy. Does anyone know ifa any of the bitz sites sell warhammer bitz yet, because last time I checked, they didn't, and this would be infinitely preferable to having a bunch of prissy elves cluttering up my storage space, as no one in my local shop plays that army ( and rightly so).

I thought about using the Empire horses, and the same problem with the gobbo mounts exists there too, they are too small, even for the knights that normally ride them. I think maybe bretonnian horses might work, size wise, but you'd have to find some way to cover up the caparisons, which are a fairly major feature of the model. This could be partially done with wolf fur, but the problems are really right around the legs, where the chainmail/caparison joins with the leg. I'm not good enough with greenstuff yet to do a major resculpt like this, but for those that are, it might be a viable option.

I myself am thinking about sculpting some fur over chaos hounds and modeling them being led into battle by walking Grey Hunters on chains, until I can buy thunderwolf mounts from either Gdub or forgeworld.

I'm not too sure about the scale, but I'm thinking of starting with the empire horses. My thinking is that the GS could be used to fill them out and compensate for their size while sculpting the pelts. There would need to be a significant amount of reposing as well.

I'll probably start getting the bits together this week. Once I start, I'll put up a WIP thread. I'll need some tips from those of you that know what you're doing. (In fact, one of you could start sooner and put up a WIP thread so I can follow it before trying it myself... ;) )

I was thinking of the Dire Wolf from Avatars of War. Instead of the Space Marine riding it, it's walking/running beside it. Would that work?

http://www.arena-deathmatch.com/images/aow12_blister.jpg

http://www.arena-deathmatch.com/onlineshop/onlineshop.php

Right at the bottom.

Saw these was well, and also thought of the Chrase Lion /Wolf mash up, but instead of riding, a Marine handler will be holding the Thunder Wolf back with chains.

Years ago I started, and still ahven't fimished a Juggernaut conversion, the idea being that if you lengthen the rear legs you can change the body shape and then raise the head

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/richardworthington/WIP/Wolf%20Rider/juggernautDesign.png

Though I still haven't got very far!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/richardworthington/WIP/Wolf%20Rider/DSCF1341.jpg

Other than the tourney problem the only issue with the avatars of war and the circle orobos ones that I can think of is that they're going to be 1 stock model which being metal is going to be harder to convert for units...they'll look cool if you're bog enough.

Re the juggernaught - great plan! It's just crazy enough that it might work!! It looks impressive and the position of the saddle means thaat it'll be deigned for taking a rider. Not sure if it'll help but the ooooold juggie model (from when they were pot bellied and mad of brass) had a number of options for heads and i think one was dog like.....although that might have been the old thirster aswell...either might be worth tracking down?

Basic stps for converting lion to wolf done - should ave them up tonight. Will fill in the greenstuff steps next and then work on the marine,

To those who said the pose was wrong - have not been able to move the marine on the lions back but have switched to a chain-axe (ythought it more appropriate for rending) and think that the hand's new position suits the model more.

~O

here is my attempt to convert a thunder wolf using a war lion from my high elf army. my green stuff skill is garbage, so be nice, and this is very W.I.P. i still havent figured if i want to try and enlarge the snout to be more wolf like, that might take several more hours of work on my part, more GS (which i am out of at the moment) and alot more swearing and pacing...

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i65/kieran_m/100_0624.jpg

hope you all like!

WLK

Archived