Sons of Doom DIY Chapter

Brother Cambrius

Well it's finally happened! I've got my brand new digi cam that is adept at taking photos of miniatures! :tu: This will be a long running thread as I slowly upload the images of my army.

So to kick off, I thought I'd upload some pictures of my captain of the fifth company, Captain Eutronus Amorphous. Anyone who's been following the Arena of Death on Nestir V will recognise who he is. If you don't know about the Nesitr V AoD click me! The applications are closed but the war machine of the AoD rolls ever forward and contributions are always appreciated.

Now to a little info on Amorphous. He is the first ever IC I painted 2 years ago when I started collecting 40k. Since then he's been improved painting wise as he's my captain of the company of the marines I lead, so he must look presentable, leading by example and all that. :P The paint is on thick in some places, considering i had only just started using the paints so I was still learining. When you see my other captains you'll notice an improvement in the thinly applied paint front.

And here he is then:

gallery_26154_2055_3176927.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_1089035.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_2687818.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_1111657.jpg

And finally a pict image of him taken on the surface of Nestir V:

gallery_26154_2055_42073.jpg

All comments appreciated. Next I'll present my 2 dreadnougths, Honoured Brothers Aedon and Dion.

Cambrius

Alright time for some more models for you all to see. Below are my 2 dreadnoughts, Brothers Aedon and Dion, also known as Faith and Vengeance by the chapter.

The story behind Aedon, the Venerable Dreadnought of the chapter was that he was one of the original members of the Crimson fists chapter that helped to built the young chapter during the 26th founding. Throughout the early years of training and building the chapter alongside his fellow venerable brothers in command. The battle that would intern him in his new body of vengeance and justice would occur during the infamous Holmna campaign, where three companies of the Sons of Doom were wiped out by a Tyranid onslaught after they crash landed onto the planet's surface. Aedon had survived the impact and had fought bravely with what weapons he had alongside his other surviving brothers as wave upon wave swarmed the Sons of Doom. Eventually the mighty Captain fell and was gravely wounded, those surviving brothers rallied around him and protected his body with their lives until the rest of the chapter descended upon the planet to exact their revenge. Aedon's broken body was interned into the Dreadnought armour not long after the massacre and was christened with the name of Faith for his new life. The banner he proudly carries is one signifying the planet where he fell, reminding those brothers that fight alongside him of the vengeance that they owe to exact upon the enemies of the chapter.

And here be some pict files of Aedon, the scythes on the shield will be thinned down soon.

gallery_26154_2055_3132272.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_3132441.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_708695.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_307559.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_3133483.jpg

And next is Veteran Brother Dion of the fifth company. I converted an AOBR dread to make this one and I thank Battle Captain Corpus for sending me those shield with skulls. the made the unique symbol shield on Dion's left shoulder with a littel green stuff.

gallery_26154_2055_3133772.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_3134373.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_3134679.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_3135060.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_3242605.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_2430835.jpg

That's it for now comments appreciated. :)

Cambrius

Nice to see some more stuff from the Sons of Doom Brother Cambrius!

I especially like Veteran Brother Dion of the fifth company. - I guess he is at Nestir as well then?

I also noted that Captain Amorpheus is missing his loin cloth scroll thingy.

Are you planning on giving them more of a Celtic theme as well? I seem to remember a few Celtic hints here and there in their stories.

As for the photos, they are still a bit blurry here and there.

May I suggest a bit better lighting, stabilizing the camera by leaning it up against something or using a tripod, and too use a sheet of paper or some uni-coloured surface as a background. - That way you get less clutter and a better focus on the model.

Other than that, good work! :ph34r:

Thanks for the compliments CMG. Yes Dion is on Nestir's surface, he shows up in the story I'm still working on . :ph34r: Yeah I got rid of his purity seal/loincloth after it just stuck out like a sore thumb. I think it look better now the way he is. The celtic theme is big in this yes, as I take certain aspects from my life and heritage into the chapter, mostly the Welsh and Irish influences with a dabble of Scotland here and there.

Yeah I only got the camera yesterday so I'm learning how to use it properly, thankyou for the advice given. I'll try to use it soon.

Cambrius

Yeah I only got the camera yesterday so I'm learning how to use it properly, thankyou for the advice given. I'll try to use it soon.

Cambrius

A quick way to really make your minis look a lot better photo-wise is explained in this tutorial.

no i love the model Cambrius

it's just he and his command squad (at least i think it was a command squad) destory at least 2 of my squads during the game. but if we ever do get together for another game i will be ready for him (-_-)

nah i love the models great work

Athiair :P

no i love the model Cambrius

it's just he and his command squad (at least i think it was a command squad) destory at least 2 of my squads during the game. but if we ever do get together for another game i will be ready for him (:))

nah i love the models great work

Athiair :)

Hur hur hur. Yes I do remember that moment...it was your Grey Knights wasn't it?

More pics coming soon, just settling into Aber Uni.

Cambrius

Hur hur hur. Yes I do remember that moment...it was your Grey Knights wasn't it?

More pics coming soon, just settling into Aber Uni.

Cambrius

yes i liked my Grey Knights up to that point and i ain't used them that often since

mainly becuase i have to paint them to play with them in Swansea, but also becuase they didn't perform that well

although in one game i played them in, i did have them take down a 7 man bike squad and pred and a tactical squad which was awsome :blush:

Athiair :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
very nice, crisp painting, but the only thing is the writing doesn't look very realistic a bit of practice might be in order

but still nice work :)

Athiair :D

Cheers Athiair. Are you referring to the text on the front left of the bike by the bolter? If so that's be be painted over soon anyway.

Okay update from me. I bought this Vindicator off of Ebay last week for £15, which I did mention in the epic ebay wins thread earlier on this week, so now fully painted, here it is. The Vindi's actually the bitz from the 2nd Ed. Vindicator asnd has been incorporated onto a new rhino. I didn't build it but whoever did it did very well indeed. The left door was damaged so I replaced it, to the expense of some damage trying to get the old one off (the former owner used some mighty strong super glue to keep it there) But it's pretty well hidden behind the paint. Finally note the number on the top of the Vinicator...a little hint to what may be coming. ;)

So without further ado, the S.O.D. Vindicator:

gallery_26154_2055_1170268.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_1170277.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_1173215.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_1170419.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_3370360.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_1170502.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_1170588.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_1170595.jpg

That is all...for now. :)

Cambrius

• 1 year later...

Blimey its been a while since I updated the progress on my army. I finally managed to finish painting up some marines to table top quality although sadly the pics have taken away some of the depth in the blue paintjob. :)

but anyway, 5 Tactical marines whom will grace the battlefield tomorrow against the old Tyranid menace.

Subsquad Awern

gallery_26154_2055_3469405.jpg

Brother Awern (helmet stripe represnting him as sub commander of squad)

gallery_26154_2055_3495058.jpg

Brother Milwr

gallery_26154_2055_53087.jpg

Brother Hexon

gallery_26154_2055_271510.jpg

Brother Straeta

gallery_26154_2055_271914.jpg

Brother Arienis

gallery_26154_2055_3525435.jpg

Comments appreciated, apologies for the camera quality. ;)

Cambrius

Quite nice, I like the skin on Arienis, it's very realistic.

However, Milwr's bolter arm seems a bit off, expecially the shoulder area, and the pad.

Thankyou zyxw. For Arienis' skin tone, I simply basecoated his head with dark flesh, then applied 2-3 thin layers of elf flesh before washing gryphonne sepia and blood red (in that order) over his head. Once that dried I dry brushed elf flesh over his head lightly, giving a more organic look before applying the details.

Yes its something that's been niggling me for the past few days so I've gone and moved his arm. I've also painted up a new tac squad member and have oh so nearly finsihed my Sternguard. Expect pictures of them soon. :huh:

Cambrius

• 2 weeks later...

Finished working on an Assault on Black Reach miniature that needed some TLC after it was won with a bundle off of ebay. I think I may have made it feel proud to be a warrior of the Emperor once more. :) This is the first time I've tried just using a lback wash over the entire miniature rather than using specific washes over different areas, It seems to make the model look a lot more worn and grimy as if it's gone through the smoke of warfare. quite apt for a missile launcher wiedling marine.

gallery_26154_2055_730750.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_1417750.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_1418052.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_1089591.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_118786.jpg

Opinions? All comments/critique appreciated.

Cambrius

Archived