Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A "Dragonized" Ironclad Dread from AoBR Dread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
83 replies to this topic

Targol

Targol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts
Hi all.
As I always have ten projects as the same time to avoid being blocked on a single one, while my RTV mold for the jet pack is drying, I started to convert the AoBR Dreadnought to transform it in a decent IronClad for my Dragon's sons.

The first step was to represent the heavier armor plating of the clad. To do so in a dragon way, I thought that scales should do the trick.
As I didn't want to sculpt them directly on the dread, I decided to build a "print" that will allow to mold several scales plates that I can use for various purposes and pieces.

So I made a Milliput(1) plate on which I marked the inverted scales using an hexagonal key given with "DIY furnitures" (sorry I can't find a correct translation for these Ikea type furnitures).
Posted Image

After the master print has dried, I covered it with vaslin oil and spread GreenStuff(1) on it using a roll just like a pastry cook :
Posted Image
Note the 2 rolls at each side of the master to control final plate thickness.

Here is the (covered with vaslin oil) result :
Posted Image

Once cut and glued on the dread :
Posted Image Posted Image

(1) The choice of resin type is important here :
  • For the master, I wanted something hard and solid so I chose the Milliput.
  • For the scales plate itself, I needed a more soft result that could be bent and chose the Green Stuff

More to come later....

Edited by Targol, 23 September 2011 - 08:55 PM.

Dragon's Sons A samurai themed chapter.
My W40K blog (in French)

Khrangar

Khrangar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,032 posts
The plating looks great. I really like how the scales came out. The tool is called a hex/allen key.

Khrangar
QUOTE (-Q- @ Jun 1 2006, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yay! At the BnC everyone is a Mod! biggrin.png

The 11th Grand Company of Erasmus Golg

The Emperor's Word Part 2

The Angelus Sanctus

The Angelus Sanctus

++ RUBERO CUNICULUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 10,085 posts
A very impressive idea about the scales, well done :)
Armies Owned:
Angels of the Lion (DA): Grand Master Angelus Sanctus | Space Wolves: ? | Iron Hands: ? | Sisters of Battle: ?
Emperor's Children: Lord Amorr'ei Ge'hinnom | Thousand Sons: ? | Word Bearers: ?

My Stuff:
My Photobucket | My Blog | My B&C PC&A Blog

Skoby

Skoby

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 608 posts
At first I thought it would just look like honeycomb but you got really good results from this. By the way, furniture like you get from ikea is usually called flat-pack furniture.

Brother_Beork

Brother_Beork

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 440 posts
Cool way of making costum texture stamps I never thought of sclaes this way...

This should make scale cloaks a bit easier for me.

Beork
The most practical and dramatic victory of science over religion occurred in the seventeenth century, when churches began to put up lightning conductors. - Isaac Asimov

Hey, I also have a Photobucket

Shiodome

Shiodome

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 555 posts
;)

Cyrox

Cyrox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,128 posts
Very clever, me likey!

Look forward to following this thread :rolleyes:

"I remember when Ragnar Blackmane had blond hair and this was aaaallll fields....."

gallery_60566_6038_4617.gif tn_gallery_60566_6038_42067.jpg gallery_60566_6038_1993.gif

jlmb_123

jlmb_123

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 352 posts
That is a very cool effect. How come the mould you've made looks flat, but the scales which you've cast in green stuff are overlapping? Can you explain the science behind it?

Targol

Targol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts
Thanks to all for these great words (or smileys :D ) that warmed my old heart ... Yes, this was my 39th birthday last sunday.
Thanks also for the vocabulary help.

How come the mould you've made looks flat, but the scales which you've cast in green stuff are overlapping? Can you explain the science behind it?

It's not a question of science but a question of angle : the allen key has been push down with always the same angle onto the milliput.
The Idea is to have one side of the key print deeper than other one. On First picture, the top of every key print is deeper than its bottom.
While inverted by the molding process, it gives the overlapping impression.

Hope it's clearer.
My W40K blog (in French)

ShinyRhino

ShinyRhino

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,704 posts
Very nice work. The overlap effect is very striking, and I'd be willing to bet that it'll look even better when painted.
-- "To locate, close with, and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver, and to repel the enemy assault by fire and close combat."

Brother Anvilus

Brother Anvilus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 333 posts
okay, if allowed, consider this idea nicked :rolleyes:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ Army Status: Reformation in progress ]
[ 96% Eternal Legion // 4% Minotaurs // ***% Unpainted ] [ 3855 Pts // 145 Pts // **** Pts ]

QUOTE (Giga @ Nov 21 2012, 11:04 AM)
The helmet needs to be pink. As per the codex astartes. There is no other option, sorry.

Targol

Targol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts

Very nice work. The overlap effect is very striking, and I'd be willing to bet that it'll look even better when painted.

I'll experiment my newly bought airbrush on it. I hope It'll be fine...

okay, if allowed, consider this idea nicked :D

Of course it's allowed. If I didn't want I wouldn't have explained how to do it ;)
... And U'r a Dragon brother :P
My W40K blog (in French)

NemFX

NemFX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,442 posts
Nice one. I'm damned tempted to copy that idea.

.. Monopoly just wasn't the same after I called down an orbital strike on Baltic Avenue.
.. There is no problem that 42 heavy bolters can't cure.

New Reno or Bust - The Enclave thread

Terranis Holds - The Kreig 68th derivatives thread

Vulkan454

Vulkan454

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 521 posts
I really like the scales man, i may consider doing them for my Salamanders army.
How long did it take you to put all the marks in?

gallery_21629_1142_21859.gifgallery_70393_10089_13388.png

Targol

Targol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts

Nice one. I'm damned tempted to copy that idea.

Copy anything you think good enough to be copied !

I really like the scales man, i may consider doing them for my Salamanders army.

The more I work on this army, the more I think the dragon theme can lead my conversions near salamanders look : scales an heavy flamers everywhere :lol: .

How long did it take you to put all the marks in?

For what is about time, I didn't spend more than half an hour to make the prints on the master.
You know, there's no many scales to print.

I think the time and difficulty raise if you make smaller scales. Mines are 3mm wide so it's quite easy to do.

The advantage is that, on real animals, scales are always slightly different one and another. As is, It's no big deal if you're not too regular.
Look at my master : top scale line is far for being parallel bottom one and it's not too disturbing while glued on the dread.

Edited by Targol, 01 October 2009 - 08:23 PM.

My W40K blog (in French)

Vulkan454

Vulkan454

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 521 posts
Ok thanks that really doesn't take much time at all.
Do you have to use miliput? would anything else work?

Targol

Targol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts

Do you have to use miliput? would anything else work?

Yes, resine choice is important as I said in my first post :

The choice of resin type is important here :

• For the master, I wanted something hard and solid so I chose the Milliput.
  • For the scales plate itself, I needed a more soft result that could be bent and chose the Green Stuff

By the way, if you don't have Milliput, you can use another resin type like sculptey or any resin that, once dry, become hard and stiff. The idea is to avoid Green stuff or any kind of resin that stays soft once dry.
The advantages of using hard resin for the master are double:
  • if made with soft resin, the master should loose its shape under the pressure of the rolling process while making the scales.
  • the difference of softness of the master and the scales print will help to separate them after the print GS is dry.

My W40K blog (in French)

Vulkan454

Vulkan454

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 521 posts
Oh right i missed that bit. Is milliput expensive? and how is it available in england?

Edited by Vulkan454, 02 October 2009 - 05:37 PM.

Terrible_Trygon

Terrible_Trygon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 725 posts
Very smart, very smart indeed.
Horus Heresy: Horus leads the largest warhost of Chaos ever known in the invasion of Earth. Roboute Gulliman and his entire Legion of Ultramarines are at the other side of the galaxy. Gulliman will later write the book on tactical thinking.

QUOTE (Ganuus @ Jun 15 2008, 12:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been sniffing my freshly painted minis to get an idea how dry they are for eleven years.

QUOTE (The Emperor on Warseer @ Jun 10 2009, 6:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hell, according to the fluff, you're more likely to find Superman flying around than a female Space Marine, because whereas the fluff states that geneseed only works in males, it doesn't state that there aren't Kryptonians in the galaxy.

QUOTE (Prathios @ May 5 2009, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the warp Mass x Velocity = rubber chickens.

Targol

Targol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts

Oh right i missed that bit. Is milliput expensive? and how is it available in england?

As I'm located in France, my Google returns me answers from French online stores. I'm sure that Google.uk should give plenty answers with UK shops (onlines or IRL) <_<

Very smart, very smart indeed.

Thanks.
My W40K blog (in French)

Targol

Targol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts
Some (illustrated) news of the "scaly guy" :

Some work on the arm too :
Posted Image

PS : This time, I posted smaller pictures. Just follow links for higher definitions.
My W40K blog (in French)

Brother Loring

Brother Loring

++ AEDITUENS IURATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 1,214 posts
Those scales and the method used are awesome. One of my templars may just have to slay a dragon and get a nice little cloak???

Great work, keep it up!

TheOtakuGundam

TheOtakuGundam

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 56 posts
I hope you don't mind if i use the scales method for my Dragon Guard Shoulder pads? :whistlingW:

Click. please. and send me an email at AJackson793@yahoo.com if you want to join.

the great beaver

the great beaver

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,367 posts
if its soft enough to bend then how come it doesnt get ruined when you push on it with your fingers? and if it's hard enough not to be squished when you push it then how is it soft enough to bend around the armour to fit?

very awesome stuff dude!

Targol

Targol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts

I hope you don't mind if i use the scales method for my Dragon Guard Shoulder pads? :angry:

If I wanted to keep it for me, I shouldn't have shared. So, if you find that idea good enough to be used, use without restriction. It's open source hobby :lol:

if its soft enough to bend then how come it doesnt get ruined when you push on it with your fingers? and if it's hard enough not to be squished when you push it then how is it soft enough to bend around the armour to fit?

It's just because it's Green Stuff. This resin stays soft when dried but keep small details.
I make the scales plates on my milliput mold, let it dry and, when dried, I remove it from the mold. The natural softness of GS allow it to be bent even when dry.

By the way, (very) few update (I have family at home these days so not much time for the hobby).
Just some more plating :

Edited by Targol, 14 October 2009 - 06:35 PM.

My W40K blog (in French)