Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Space Wolf Great Company (LF2)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 17,183 posts
SPACE WOLF GREAT COMPANY
Large Formation

A Great Company is the standard fighting force of the Space Wolves chapter. A Great Company is led by a Wolf Lord, a formidable warrior and a great tactician. Wolf Lords tend to imprint their preferred style of warfare onto their Great Company and this serves to identify a Company just as well as the Companies emblem upon the shoulder pads of the warriors. Each Wolf Lord has several highly trusted warriors which are Wolf Guard Battle Leaders and are expected to use their initiative to achieve their tasks. The Great Companies finest warriors are labeled Wolf Guard and act as either elite packs of infantry, bodyguards or as leaders for other packs. The Companies Long Fangs are often the eldest Wolves in a Great Company, often having suffered many casualties since their induction, however their arms are steady and their aim is true, being entrusted with the Companies heavy weaponry. Grey Hunters are the bulk of the Great Company, being equally capable in defensive and offensive tasks, able to keep a cool head during conflicts and being a steadfast force to rely on whether it is with bolter or bolt pistol and chainsword. The Blood Claws are the newly inducted Space Wolves and are highly aggressive and determined to get to grips with the enemy, they fight with bolt pistols and chainswords and their charges are ferocious indeed. Sometimes Blood Claws are trained to fight with jump packs or bikes, depending on the Wolf Lord in question and the task at hand.

These units, with varying skills and equipment work together as one large pack to claim victory during a conflict. Great Companies have no fixed size as the Space Wolves disregard the Codex Astartes and follow the teachings of their Primarch, Leman Russ. This means that one Great Company may outnumber another by a factor of two to one or even greater as sizes fluctuate wildly. The greatest variation tends to be in the number of Blood Claws each company consists of as casualties affect the promotion of Blood Claws When fighting together as a full company the Wolves seem to fight with more determination and refuse to give ground.

It is recorded that during the 13th Black Crusade that all twelve Great Companies were deployed to the Eye of Terror to aid in halting the advance. The key to victory was the ability for the Great Companies to integrate at Company, Chapter and even Task Force levels, allowing their unique skills to be used as needed.

FORMATION:
1 Wolf Lord
0-10 Wolf Guard Battle Leaders
5-40 Wolf Guard
5+ Blood Claw packs (Each pack must number at least ten men)
0-3 Sky Claw packs
0-5 Swift Claw packs
8-15 Grey Hunter packs
1-4 Long Fang packs

(All units may take transport options as normal from Codex: Space Wolves)

SPECIAL RULES:

All models in the formation have the Stubborn and Furious Charge Universal Special Rules.

Orbital Bombardment

Designer's notes: A Great Company has no official size as the Space Wolves operate independently of the Codex Astartes, allowing for much greater numbers of warriors to be deployed. However as with usual Space Marine forces armour will be drawn from the armoury and is not a part of the Great Company itself, hence why there are no options for armoured units in this formation. Space Wolves on the battlefield are ferocious warriors to behold and I believe I represented this well with Furious Charge and Stubborn, they can be broken but it takes a lot. Also it is sensible to assume that a Great Company will often have access to ships in orbit to deliver deadly bombardments to the battlefields.

The aim of my Great Company datasheet was to provide a flexible structure to a Great Company whilst having some form of regularity to make it identifiable, due to the sheer flexibility however I have made the formation cost three hundred points but I now feel this is perhaps too low.

Please discuss this datasheet by replying in this topic.

If you have any questions about the process, please refer to this discussion.

Grey Mage

Grey Mage

++ ARCTOS CAELIFERUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 18,428 posts
13 troops units? I can understand the high unit price... it seems quite fluffy on that, but why did you demand 5+ bloodclaws and 8+ Grey Hunters? Wouldnt a simple note of *atleast 13 of these units must be taken, and all bloodclaw units must number atleast 10 models* have been more flexable?

Also, while Armor is drawn from the general pool for SWs its also assigned to a Great Company for very long periods of a time- often several campaigns. I also note a lack or Wolf Priest or Rune Priests... wich, officially coming from the Great Wolfs company still tend to be assigned to a single GC long-term. Same thing with scouts.

It just seems odd that the Priests and the Dreads that were with the company would not be similarly stubborn, or agressive.

Edited by Brother Tyler, 07 October 2009 - 09:02 AM.
No scores, please.

QUOTE (Wolf Guard Dan @ Dec 28 2009, 06:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When in doubt- Grey Mage.
QUOTE (thade @ Jun 7 2011, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, Hammernators are for pansies. There, I said it.

Mikal Wolfheart

Mikal Wolfheart

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,808 posts
Perhaps but you have to look at other datasheets in the books. The Battle Company is inflexible and still costs two hundred points for the advantages it gives. So surely it's best to be slightly restrictive rather than have to pay an extortionate amount of points for the right to flexibility.

But flexibility is a key part of a Great Company I suppose.
QUOTE (A D-B @ Jan 10 2011, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
THE CUSTODIANS AREN'T PSYCHIC OH MY GOD I HATE YOU MIKAL.

Working with Resin

Vash113

Vash113

++ SCRIPTOR CLASSIARIUM ++

• + LEXICANIUM +
  • 4,813 posts
13 Troops seems excessive as a minumum. Maybe some Greate Companies get that large but your looking at a round 130 Infantry, that's a ton of models and not really practical. I'd say something more reasonable would be 2+ Blood Claw Packs and 4+ Grey Hunter Packs. Many Space Wolf players could field those units reasonably but some could go much higher. But as a minimum that's still 60 Marines before you get to Wolf Guard, Long Fangs, Skyclaws, Swiftclaws and so on and so forth.

Also Wolf Scouts are not, as many think, part of the Great Wolf's Company but are members of each of the 12 Great Companies. So they should be included in the Datasheet as well. Wolf Priests and Rune Priests aren't always part of the Company so I suppose they can be left out.

Still I think a more modest minimum squad count would be more practical.

As for the cost, with Furious Charge and Stubborn I'd say a price at over 500 points would be easily justifiable and I'd pay it gladly to get Str 5 and I 5 on the Charge with 100+ Space Wolves and in Apocalypse 500-1000 points is nothing compared to such a massive tactical advantage.

gallery_24878_5332_50483_zps960f3bfd.jpg
gallery_32575_2112_962.gifgallery_17224_3068_178.gifgallery_17224_3229_616.gifgallery_17224_3229_261.gifgallery_17224_3068_874_zps00305bb1.png
"Are we going to scrap about it now. Argue which Legion is the toughest?"
"The answer always is, the Wolves of Fenris," Torgadon put in. "Because they're clinically insane."
-1st Captain Sigismund of the Imperial Fists and Captain of the Luna Wolves 2nd Company.

Catheras

Catheras

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 108 posts
I'll have to agree on the number of mandatory troops in the formation, looking at ragnars great company that is one of the biggest of them, they field almost 200 in total.
Cutting down to half that number would still mean that you will get almost 100 models if you take 10 man squads for troops and get 1 of each of the other squads.

LPetersson

LPetersson

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,184 posts
I like it very much. It is very reminiscent of the pre-heresy great company formation from BOLS which I also like.
300 points may sound like a lot, but it's definitely worth it for FC in all my models.

To keep it fluffy, I would probably add both Rune Priests and Wolf Priests into it with a minimum of two Wolf Priests and 0+ Rune Priests...

QUOTE (Aurelius Rex @ Apr 19 2009, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
“The Emperor protects, but we must also protect The Emperor.” -Lorgar, after seeing The Emperor entombed within the Golden Throne
QUOTE (==Me== @ Mar 15 2009, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like everything else in the Imperium, Space Marine vehicles are powered by skulls, purity seals and screaming bald men.

When the sun goes down, she hunts...pants AdeptusMe, Myself & IAre Blood Angels cowards?

utilityzero

utilityzero

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,865 posts
i think the minimum size is too much as well. a space marine with upgrades costs around 3000 points. you'd never make this fit into that points range. why not something like +5 wolf guard, +8 grey hunters and/or blood claw packs and +2 long fangs packs, all at full strength. that gives you around 100 marines to start with and they can add on what they have.

also, why stubborn or furious charge? how does that fit with the SW fluff? i'd rather see that dropped in favor for a couple of apoch stategums.
1% of people know that answer to, "What's the F.T.W. stand for?" You're not one of them.
8% of teenagers dont listen to rap and 2% havnt tried pot OR drinking... and an even smaller percentage of people actually feel the need to bolster their own self-esteem by putting a spin on being rhythmicly challenged and having no social life.
100% of your base are belong to us.
50% of marines apparently get lost in the warp. If only the guy who came up with that plot had gotten lost in the warp first.

Durfast Spiritwolf

Durfast Spiritwolf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,580 posts
Looks very good but given the nature of GCs, wouldn't access to elements of the Great Wolf's Company be normal: Dreads, Ven Dreads, Wolf Priests, Rune Priests and Iron Priests not to mention Wolf Scouts?

What about adding wolves and thunderwolf cavalry?

Personally I don't buy into the justification for 'stubborn' and 'furious charge', and I think that the 5+ BC and 8+ GH minimum will encourage lots of smaller units at the expense of some meater 15-marine BC packs.

L_T_Banner_V2_zpsf3c366bb.jpgL_T_Badge_03_Champion_zps7af57173.jpgImg_CH00_08Awards_06_ETL_2013A_zps7fe3edETL_2013_Forum_Champion_12_Honour_zps79e

I'm sorry, but nobody is here to answer your trolling right now, please leave a message after the tone....

Rocknar

Rocknar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 49 posts
This is awsome Though I would like to see 0-1 Wolf Priest, 0-1 Rune Priests, 0-1 Iron Priests , 0-3 Dreadnoughts, 3+ BC, 5-15 GH.
This Minimum still gives the 106 marines of a normal SM compony as welll as possably being much much larger.

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 17,183 posts
JUDGES’ COMMENTS:

Bannus:
BALANCE: Poor. The Battle Company offers the opportunity for a couple more assets provided you build your army in a very restrictive way and at 200 points to boot. This datasheet offers minimal restrictions (other than lots of models - something you are going to have anyway) combined with some of the most powerful USRs that affect the whole army for the whole game and at only 100 points more.

Completely broken as far as balance.

USABILITY: Excellent. It is a small stretch for what Space Wolves players already have in their armies to field.

ADHERENCE TO THE BACKGROUND MATERIAL: Below Average. There is nothing in the fluff that supports any "strategic advantages" for a whole Great Company to be fielded. If anything, their informal organization would be less effective in larger formations, not more effective. Adapting the Battle Company concept to a Space Wolves Great Company is simply trying to put a square peg in a round hole - it just won't fit.

Corpse.:
I would say it’s a bit over the top. Older codices granted 3 points for furious charge, and estimated 1.2 points in newer codices (rough estimate), and 1.2 points times the total of 10+40+(75 to infinity)+30+?(swift claws)+150+24= way more "free" points then just 300 with no true restrictions beyond filling the min requirement of 5 wolf guard, 5 blood claw packs, 8 grey hunter packs and 1 long fang pack. (The requirements times 1.2 is 102 points, not including stubborn)

But because the trivial units - not including any vehicles will cost a good portion of the standard player’s average, and being forced to play with lots of infantry in a potentially heavy tank force game may be a fun representation of a large chapter of wolves heading against the enemy. In both old and new codices that I see it can be represented fairly among both even if this submission is in the middle of a codex update month.

Fairness rated excellent; Usability for minor requirements to top end requirements is outstanding; Adherence is hard to say with the codex update but as far as I see it’s outstanding.

Gillyfish:
Average…my feeling is that, whilst it's a really good idea and it fits the background of the Wolves well with their non-standard and varied Great Companies, it offers too many powerful benefits for the cost. I'd feel better disposed towards it if it ranted strategic assets instead or cost more for the same rules. At the moment it's simply too potent for the points

Honda:
Average. Not that impressed really. I will look at it closer, but I also think that in general, adding special rules to an army that already has them in their codex shouldn't be encouraged.

JamesI:
Average. This one either needs massive restrictions or more points. It is too flexible, and extremely good. Furious charge on Grey Hunters and Blood Claws with the current codex is too good.

gallery_26_548_2975.gif
gallery_26_548_8659.gif
gallery_26_548_10374.gif
gallery_26_548_102.gif

Mikal Wolfheart

Mikal Wolfheart

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,808 posts
Indeed people. It seems I should be kept away from designing datasheets and just enjoy the background of the game. I wasn't sure on points value because too high people wouldn't use it, too low and it would be broken so trying to work on that was difficult and from your feedack I was too generous and did what I hate, created something broken yet failed to realise it.

However a few things.

"Special rules to an army that already has them in the codex." I take it this refers to furious charge? Which one unit can have access to if attached to an expensive character. I'm just curious about it.

Also the reason scouts were not included in the Great Company was because at the time I was unsure what stood from a fluff point but the new codex does state they are drawn from Great Companies.

I did go a bit overboard with the minimum size of the formation, because I was thinking what I would include and had no real basis for the size of a Company, just that they tended to be larger. If I re-work this it will get a massive overhaul and I think I will include Blood Claws, Swift Claws and Sky Riders all under the one thing, so you can choose from either of them or Grey Hunters as some people suggested.

It didn't make sense to me attaching the priests in this formation even though they are often assigned for long periods but I created a broken formation anyway.

So thank you everyone for feedback. Thank you judges for being objective and telling me it doesn't work, better than a pat on the back whilst thinking silently I am a fool. I'm not too sure if it's even worth salvaging to be perfectly honest.

Working with Resin

Bannus

Bannus

++PRAETOR BELLUM++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,813 posts

Indeed people. It seems I should be kept away from designing datasheets and just enjoy the background of the game....better than a pat on the back whilst thinking silently I am a fool. I'm not too sure if it's even worth salvaging to be perfectly honest.

You are being far too harsh on yourself.

You simply were inspired by the concept of the Battle Company and wanted to apply it to your favorite Chapter - who hasn't wanted to do that?

The problem (and the charm) of the Space Wolves is that they are so different from other Chapters - period. GW was "thinking outside the box" when they first introduced the Space Wolves and continued to do so ever since. When it comes to datasheets, it requires the same.

So just think outside the box. :D
IRON HANDS LEGION OF THE DAMNED

Remember that during a zombie apocalypse, you don't have to out-
run the zombies....just the guy next to you.

Mikal Wolfheart

Mikal Wolfheart

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,808 posts
Well first thing is I'm going to drop Furious charge. Is a little sick for that many models.

I'm thinking of keeping stubborn if I mention something about them never turning down a fight and not being able to resist starting them.

Thinking outside the box is difficult. Perhaps they have to achieve some sort of force objective to keep their honour?

Working with Resin

Bannus

Bannus

++PRAETOR BELLUM++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,813 posts
Making the datasheet some type of "super-saga" would be a good idea.

I think you are on the right track now!

Mikal Wolfheart

Mikal Wolfheart

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,808 posts
And perhaps a small base cost but a cost for each unit to cater in for the flexibility of such a force. Say as a ballpark figure 15 points per unit but also an initial cost to cater for the difference in unit's effectiveness with the stubborn rule.

Working with Resin

Bannus

Bannus

++PRAETOR BELLUM++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,813 posts
Look at the other datasheets....see what they have in common....and apply it as best you can. The closer you follow precedent, the more balanced the end product will likely be.

Mikal Wolfheart

Mikal Wolfheart

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,808 posts
That's the problem, trying to show the difference with the wolves means flexibility which means restrictions so I'm thinking be a bit different and have an additional cost per unit, more likely higher than 15 though.

Working with Resin

Bannus

Bannus

++PRAETOR BELLUM++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,813 posts
there are a number of datasheets that have a fixed cost, but only a minimal requirement in units - with no upper limit.

Armored Spearhead has a fixed cost. Requirement - 3+ Land Raiders. So its cost (and effects) are fixed, but the size is not.

I'm not saying to try and emulate it off of the Battle Company, that won't work. Build a "super-saga" that only a large formation of Space Wolves could achieve.

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 17,183 posts
My 2 cents...

The first major problem I see is that the Space Wolf Great Company is such a nebulous unit that the format presented doesn't work.

The Great Company is analogous to the Battle Company of a Codex Chapter, so the benefits should be similar in their scope and application. They don't necessarily need to be identical to those of a Battle Company, but should be based on the same concept - what synergy is gained from having an entire Great Company take to the field of battle together?

Both Stubborn and Furious Charge should be dropped like a hot potato. Neither is appropriate and are geared more towards improving individual unit combat effectiveness rather than representing the synergy of the entire company. I'd look at the various strategic assets and figure out which seem most appropriate to an entire Great Company.

That said, because the Great Company is inherently more flexible than a Battle Company, there need to be some trade offs. The Battle Company enjoys specific benefits of significant potency largely due to the very specific composition of the company. Since the Great Company is much more flexible, it should have less in the way of benefits or the cost should be significantly higher (or a combination thereof).

So representing a generic Great Company is problematic (as we learned in the community version of this same datasheet some time ago).

However, there is a viable alternative. In the new Codex: Space Wolves, some of the Wolf Lords are described with having specialties tied to their Great Companies. What you might do, then, is change this from a generic Great Company into a specific Wolf Lord's Great Company, imposing a specific composition (possibly even as specific as the Codex Battle Company) and conferring specific benefits appropriate to the Wolf Lord's specialty. Again, the more flexible you make the company, the less potent it becomes and/or the more expensive it becomes.

Regardless, a fixed price for the datasheet seems a given since that is the precedent that GW has established, even with all of the other variable datasheets.

gallery_26_548_2975.gif
gallery_26_548_8659.gif
gallery_26_548_10374.gif
gallery_26_548_102.gif

Grey Mage

Grey Mage

++ ARCTOS CAELIFERUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 18,428 posts
Actually I think that Brother Tyler has an excellant idea in choosing a particular GC and expanding its fluff into a formation.

That could be really cool, and allow you more of a focus.

Mikal Wolfheart

Mikal Wolfheart

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,808 posts
Could work but the problem is I don't play a canon armoured company and trying to think of something advantageous to give to an armoured company is difficult.

Obviously it doesn't have to be the company I happen to play but that would be part of the enjoyment.

I'll ponder on it for a few days

Working with Resin

Grey Mage

Grey Mage

++ ARCTOS CAELIFERUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 18,428 posts

Could work but the problem is I don't play a canon armoured company and trying to think of something advantageous to give to an armoured company is difficult.

Obviously it doesn't have to be the company I happen to play but that would be part of the enjoyment.

I'll ponder on it for a few days

Well, theres alot of ways to go with that, and if you wanted to you could probly fit it into Egil Ironwolfs great company without any issues.

Mikal Wolfheart

Mikal Wolfheart

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,808 posts
I suppose I could just label it as a Space Wolf Armoured Company, therefore bypassing any canon names, just mention old Egil as being quite renowned for it.

I've toyed with several ideas but I just don't know about power in the game as its not why I'm really in the game.

I was toying with making rhinos and razorbacks fast vehicles but think too powerful and wouldn't apply to the troops, also armoured not mechanised.

I think the idea of some super saga would be good as people suggested.

Perhaps something about the Land Raider spearhead (Which is allowed to be part of an armoured spearhead, or is that then broken?) having to try and make it into the enemies zone? And perhaps as a bonus for a suitable amount of points give them each an additional d3 inch movement per turn? Only thr Land Raiders though and you'd have to take the supporting elements of the company to gain the bonus.

Working with Resin

Grey Mage

Grey Mage

++ ARCTOS CAELIFERUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 18,428 posts

I suppose I could just label it as a Space Wolf Armoured Company, therefore bypassing any canon names, just mention old Egil as being quite renowned for it.

I've toyed with several ideas but I just don't know about power in the game as its not why I'm really in the game.

I was toying with making rhinos and razorbacks fast vehicles but think too powerful and wouldn't apply to the troops, also armoured not mechanised.

I think the idea of some super saga would be good as people suggested.

Perhaps something about the Land Raider spearhead (Which is allowed to be part of an armoured spearhead, or is that then broken?) having to try and make it into the enemies zone? And perhaps as a bonus for a suitable amount of points give them each an additional d3 inch movement per turn? Only thr Land Raiders though and you'd have to take the supporting elements of the company to gain the bonus.

Well you could say it requires X selections from a particular list, and that 3 of those must be Wolf Gaurd with Dedicated Landraiders of one type or another.

And while within X" of the command tank *the one with the WL in it* each of the vehicles can always fire one main weapon, no matter how far theyve moved due the guidance of the Long Fangs and the extra sensor suites and SW keen senses available with all those lads in one spot.

Or an extra D3 movement, rolled as one for the entire formation- but usuable only by units that are in a transport, and only those who are within say 18" of the Lords Raider.

Or you could concentrate on the troops aspect- and then add on things like a Linebreaker squadron or predator assassination force to complement it.

Mikal Wolfheart

Mikal Wolfheart

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,808 posts
Thanks for the ideas Grey Mage. I'll mull it over because my GC (including all armour) is going to run at a point shy of 12000 so it's probably broken from the start anyway.

Working with Resin