Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Comments and Questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
273 replies to this topic

Pilgrim666

Pilgrim666

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1 posts
hey i am prty new to the whole warhammer 40k minitures played the pc games and read the Greyknights omnibus and the Inquisitor wars books big Demonhunter fan been painting a Greyknights army up and building a Greyknight Grandmaster so i am going to give the competition a go .
Just got a quick question do Chimeras come under the rules to enter not to sure if they are a variant of the one's in the rules Thanx and good luck all

Karitas

Karitas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 206 posts
So...

No power armoured or Terminator armoured Inquisitors in the single mini category?
Always more pictures on My Blog

Rune Priest

Rune Priest

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 93 posts

We want raw pictures here. No airburshing, no star/sunbursts no special added backgrounds or lighting effects.

A quick question about this:
Does this mean we cannot have a paper backdrop behind our minis when we take our picture? for example, a gradient blue colour sheet of paper printed and held behind a mini would be legal or not?
Praise Russ!

kotaminipainting.com

"its no toy soldier. its art"

QUOTE (Terrible_Trygon @ Nov 5 2009, 02:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait, Rune Priest is a dude? I always thought he was a she from his avatar and all that.

KhorneHunter57x

KhorneHunter57x

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,993 posts
Wow. This sounds cool. Count me in.

I will probably enter an Ironclad Dread.

Golden Bolters for the Golden Throne! :woot:

BTW, Thanks Kurgan the Lurker, Brother Argos, the entire group of Admins, and the sponsors for putting on this contest.

"We must thank the Emperor, I suppose, that it was Roboute Guilliman's gene-line that proved the most stable and prevalent. Had it been that of Russ or the Khan, for example, we would have found ourselves defended by feral savages barely distinguishable from our foes. At least the Ultramarines successors understand how to conduct war in a civilized fashion." - pg. 25, Codex Supplement: Ultramarines

Brother Plasticard

Brother Plasticard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 466 posts

Does this mean we cannot have a paper backdrop behind our minis when we take our picture? for example, a gradient blue colour sheet of paper printed and held behind a mini would be legal or not?

In the picture samples I believe they used a towel or something. So maybe use on too? Or a simple white backdrop so as to not distract from the mini itself?

Komodo

Komodo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 481 posts
Is color levels correction legal?

Brother Arius

Brother Arius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 71 posts
Looking forward to buying a Black Templar Captain and painting my tactical squad and Land Raider. No more procrastinations!!! (hopefully)

igotsmeakabob!!

igotsmeakabob!!

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,628 posts
I'm considering entering... I know that I can't compete with some of the better painters around here but I don't mind. I look forward to seeing the submissions!
Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes.

How do they rise up?

Allerka

Allerka

+LEXICANIUM+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,048 posts

Just a thought - how many entries can one member enter into the competition? Is it one per person?

One entry per category per person.

hey i am prty new to the whole warhammer 40k minitures played the pc games and read the Greyknights omnibus and the Inquisitor wars books big Demonhunter fan been painting a Greyknights army up and building a Greyknight Grandmaster so i am going to give the competition a go .
Just got a quick question do Chimeras come under the rules to enter not to sure if they are a variant of the one's in the rules Thanx and good luck all

If it's not on the list, it's not allowed.

Kurgan the Lurker

Kurgan the Lurker

++ INQUISITUS EXTERMINATI ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 18,582 posts

We want raw pictures here. No airburshing, no star/sunbursts no special added backgrounds or lighting effects.

A quick question about this:

A good background is important for the picture -- but it shouldn't be something you add into the picture. So whether you are using a shirt, sheet, towel, piece of paper as your background is fine (in the example pics I used a pillow cover and shirt). It's after the shot is taken stuff that we are talking about. You shouldn't be manipulating the picture to make it look better in the hopes of moving farther into the contest.

If you want good pictures then make sure you have your camera set up properly. Lighting, white balance and so on. Most decent cameras should have a multi shot option that take several pictures and allow you to select the best one for keeping.
The Cult of Orange -- None Can Withstand Our Color!
Duck Blind Miniatures - The website has been gone for a long time so I've put up a FaceBook page to show what photos I have left or may add in the future.
Duck Blind Minis IG - I do post on IG too but fair warning there are other things (mostly the gym) on here besides minis.
Kurgan's Twitter Feed
Kurgan's FaceBook Page

"And maybe the Traitor Legions would come to their senses, renounce the Ruinous Powers and return to the light of the Emperor." -- Ciaphis Cain on the likelihood of a Mawloc being scared off by a melta blast.

Selling off the PILE OF SHAME! Links to my ebay page for everything that is going up over the next 10 days:
Kurgan's Pile of Shame auctions

Neigorath

Neigorath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 394 posts
Well, might as well participate as this will give me a chance to really work on that custom Abaddon I'm doing as a showpiece for my army... Hopefully I can improve on my painting and learn new techniques.

Edited by Neigorath, 01 November 2009 - 10:18 PM.

gallery_11038_675_363.png

gallery_24779_1036_18403.jpgneigorathl.png
Once our great father Horus led us to the gates of Terra! There he was slain by the false emperor and his weakling primarchs. Now they worship that rotting carcass as a god! Horus might have been weak and foolish, but we, his Sons, still live on! Abaddon leads us to greater glory with each of his crusades and eventually we will show our brothers that true power demands sacrifices! No-one will stand in our way, be it the lapdogs of the weakling Imperium or our brethren in the other legions! We are the Black Legion! WE ARE RETURNED! -Neigorath the Thrice Accursed, captain of the 8th Grand Company of the former Luna Wolves during the battle for Cadian Gate.

Iacton Qruze

Iacton Qruze

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 660 posts
In the Squad entry, suppose I do a Space Wolves Grey Hunters squad, since it is legal to have a member of the Wolfguard as part of the squad, would I be able to include him in the entry, or can I only have the Grey Hunters?

Demoulius

Demoulius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,299 posts
i have a question regarding the squad category.

it says one picture of the squad. but can the squad be bigger then 5 man? the picture only shows 5 man. if the unit is bigger can we show multiple pictures? a head on shot doesent show much detials, and only 1 shot for 5 man tends to cause the picture to be made from a large distance in order to get them all in, so would it be ok to make 2 shots showing 5 in each for example?

My blog: click me! Latest update 20th of December. 6th edition musings.
Blood angel BFG Blog: click me

a particular Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

sml_gallery_64798_13809_5652.jpggallery_48988_15465_4294.png

Garou24

Garou24

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 76 posts
No Possessed for Chaos can be entered? Think of the painting and conversions just waiting!

Sgt. Wolf

Sgt. Wolf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 25 posts
I'm thinking Inquisitors from Codex; Daemonhunter and Witchhunters, in power armour?

Seems like they should qualify for the contest in all possible ways, except for not being on the list. (hope I didn't just misread it though)

Thanks for hosting the contest.

92% of teens listen to rap. If you are one of the 8% who listens to real music, please paste this in your sig.

Adeptus_Astartes

Adeptus_Astartes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6 posts
Hurray!

Bloodriver

Bloodriver

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10 posts
Obliteraters are listed as acceptable in the Squads category, but the biggest game-legal unit is three while the squads category is for five-plus models. Could you clarify this please?

This competition is a great idea - I'm looking forwarward to seeing the entries. There's sure to be a bucketload of awesome stuff!

Brynngar

Brynngar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3 posts
I will enter

themonkeyfeet2

themonkeyfeet2

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1 posts
thanks for holding the contest. it gives me a reason to paint with care and try new things.
thanks to the sponsors, too.

NeoHunter

NeoHunter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 38 posts
Sounds interesting. Just so happens that I am in the midst of painting a Space Marine model.

Shall join then.

Dosjetka

Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,129 posts
Yeah definetley entering (maybe all 3 categories?) :P
are conversions of charcters allowed? (sicarius conversions, etc...)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

You carry the Emperor's will as your torch, with it destroy the shadows.

+ + +

Black Templars (8th Edition) - W:6 D:2 L:3

Tangamarine

Tangamarine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 532 posts
I'm in

are conversions of charcters allowed? (sicarius conversions, etc...)

they better be! :P

++From the Phoenix to the Flames: The Tangamarines return ++

WIP Log Featuring 30k models reenvisaged for the 41st millennium, 3D Printed Jetbikes  and a servo skull towing a trailer teehee.gif 

++Old project log++

Plastic Sicaran, Predator Executioner and Vindicator Laser Destroyer

Dosjetka

Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,129 posts
i hope the new legion of the damned mini's are out in time!!!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

+ + +

Anything But A One

Anything But A One

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20 posts
Brilliant idea guys, count me in. Will give me something to occupy my summer holidays instead of sitting in the sun drinking beer. :P

Or maybe I can do both. ;) :P
"Repent! For tomorrow you die!"

Dosjetka

Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,129 posts
summer hols? it's autumn... :P

+ + +