= 1,000 Chapter Project: post links here for MIA Chapters =

Philip S

Octavulg, I would suggest that I am in noway strongarming anyone to any decision, merely voicing my opinion as others are doing. We all agree that a list of SM chapters is a great idea, if the intention was to limit it to 1000 chapters and then force actions upon this, then that would be wrong in my opinion. Whilst we are talking hypothetical situations here as the limit has not been reached, it is something that does concern me. The same goes for different chapters with the same name, whilst some will choose to change their names to get onto the list, what I dislike is the idea of people telling other frater that they cannot use a name because it is already in use. The same goes for the copyright issue, it is a sad sad world if that is the case that I cannot write about the Scion of Dorn as my own chapter because Aurelius has already produced a chapter with the same name. I am looking at this subject in the massively microscopic environment of Liber and ignoring the bigger picture - but as Moderator of Liber Astartes it is my concern about the well-being of the sub-forum. If I believe something will challenge this well-being, I voice my concerns.

forcing others to conform to your view of what is creative and appropriate, thus stifling their own creativity, or at least the way they express it.

Sorry, is it something wrong to suggest that someone can call their Space Marines what they want? Or suggest that there might be a different version of the Black Guard, or the Imperial Castellans or the Dark Sons then the ones I created? If someone were to create a different version of those GW chapters, I would hold no grudge against them as it is their work and their ideas - I hold no claim to those chapter's backgrounds.

On restriction of creativity:

By attempting to strongarm Philip into changing his methods (which is certainly what it looks like at the moment), what you are doing is, in fact, forcing others to conform to your view of what is creative and appropriate, thus stifling their own creativity, or at least the way they express it.

No one is trying to strong arm anyone into anything and I can't see anything of the sort happening. So far it's just been a discussion of perspectives on the creation of DIY ideas. :P

Philip and myself have always got on well together and I'm sure Dazzo is a really nice bloke who is just passionate about what he is doing.

Like Ferrata says it's just people voicing their opinions which I happen to know for a fact is something that Philip openly encourages and am pretty certain has no problem with. :D

However, since the discussion with the Obsidian Tears and claiming names, there has been a bitter twist in the discussion.

There was no bitter twist.

It was Neisseria's chapter - I think Neisseria states his feelings in clear terms, and what he understood from my position, in his post.

To make is 100% clear: no one has to change the name of their chapter to get onto the list.

This is the way it has been since the issue first came to light many, many, months ago.

Which brings me to this;

As of how to overcome this difficulty, I am not sure of how you are coding the system but how I would do it would be have a number of links of the same chapter name. You could always have one you suggest above the others (for example using it as the colour scheme), but you could link all of them.

Which is exactly what we are going to do. As stated many months ago. This system has not been implemented yet, and I figure I would get around to it once we hit a 1,000 (so not long now).

At first I was going to use asterisk, with each one clickable, but I am also thinking of superscript letters to give an idea of what is being linked to (F = fan made IA, G = gallery of miniatures).

I listened to the concerns of fans the first time round and worked out an idea for dealing with it.

At the moment, because this system is not yet implemented:

• If the name of your chapter is already in the list you are going to have to wait until this system is implemented. This does not mean you are not going to be included, merely you are doubling up on a name and we are going to sort that out later.
  • If your chapter's name is in the list and is marked MIA, and you want to replace it, then I have to research it to see if I can find the one in the lost. If I do find it, then the above applies. If I do not find it, then it will replace the one in the list and a new link to your IA (or gallery) will be put in (this is what happened to Neisseria's chapter).
  • If for some reason you cannot wait until I complete my research, which can take a day or two as I search about a liaise with Dazzo, then change the name and you can be added very quickly. I would say that this is usually pointless as most updates are in batches, and you would probably have to wait a day or week anyway, unless you really wanted me to add it during an update spree (which is kinda what happened with Neisseria).

In the end this has been resolved to Neisseria's satisfaction, and I hope my (and Dazzo's) future plans also meet with everyone's approval.

+++

Please can we get back to the topic at hand: are there any MIA chapters in the list that you recognise and can supply a link for?

Philip

PS: We've hit 1,001!

Edited by Philip S

Hey Phil

Just letting you know that I have posted some pics of my Chapter. I have created my own custom badge rather than the one Dazzo made for me ages ago. The link to my IA article is in my sig so you can update my Chapter image.

Cheers

I have received some comments on the origins and background so there might be some changes but I am still unsure...I posted it because I observed that for the above post you replied that WIP might do.

It will but we need chapter badges if any(explanation why not), company markings if any, no mk6 helmets with mk8 collars(new rule, any already on the list shall be altered) and a definite decision on the name. Dont feel you have to do all this immediately we will only add your chapter when your happy with everything ;)

I have received some comments on the origins and background so there might be some changes but I am still unsure...I posted it because I observed that for the above post you replied that WIP might do.

It will but we need chapter badges if any(explanation why not), company markings if any, no mk6 helmets with mk8 collars(new rule, any already on the list shall be altered) and a definite decision on the name. Dont feel you have to do all this immediately we will only add your chapter when your happy with everything :)

Thanks for the clarification...Regarding the name, Death Dealers has become final and I will edit the OP to reflect this...Regarding the chapter badge and company markings, I wrote down in the article itself how their trade mark secrecy and lies heritage from Alpha Legion causes them to never wear anything that could help identify them so that any actions they take (specially if they don't please the imperium) can't really be traced back to them and so that the enemy can't identify which class of soldiers he is facing...their original chapter badge (which they don't wear but is usually inscribe inside their ships and tattooed on their bodies) is an Omega sign (similar to an upside down ultramarine badge.)

Regarding the mk8 collar with the mk6 helm, I'll go remove this silly mistake right away.

I had considered a traitors gallery, but chaos isn't really my thing so I didn't take it any further, but I guess it could be done, it would depend on whether phil wants to do it or not, as I have no problem with collecting them up.

Once the 1,000 loyalists are done (basically the new primary list - made up of canon+DIY only - is full to 1,000) I would like to do the traitors. However this may be a pipe dream.

The one thing that really puts me off is the amount of work to get it up and running with satisfactory results. That is results I am happy with. The chaos painter does not have wargear option, and seems a bit temperamental in places. I would like to do a few bits for the chaos painter, or perhaps an extra 'chaos' section under the v5 wargear (or two wargear sections - Imperial and Chaos over the base marine). I do not like the images rendered by the new v9 painter (no highlights and over saturated - a similar (but better) effect for colour can be obtained in v5 using the wargear option of 'less shading', it would also be nice to have a 'no shading' option too!).

Failing that, it would mean a lot of custom work, as chaos by it's nature tends to shy away from uniformity.

Philip

• 1 month later...

Hello Phil!

Firstly I am a big fan of your fluff writing and what you've come up with has been a great inspiration with 40K projects of my own.

I've been watching the 1000 chapters project for a few years now and I think its time to open my mouth about a chapter on your list, the Green Dragons

I've collected Space Marine chapter under that name for over a decade now and although the coloring you've found isn't exactly mine (Though it looks similiar I once started with)

I've never completed the Chapters story and have a pile of concepts for it, but for this great endeavor I will make it!

I have the chapter color scheme on a 3D model in a mod project for HL2 here "Tale Of The Inquisitor" and I will soon post the Chapter details to this forum for your project.

You might notice similarity with my Marine model and yours and to be honest I've used your diagram of Space Marine morphology as a reference. Hopefully you will not be offended, as I never asked your permission. :P

Zakathius

-Dracones numquam pereunt-

• 3 weeks later...

@ Silver Phoenix - It's a prototype, I'm sure it'll be sorted out one day.

@ orion thunderer - the image is not showing up. Do you have a link to your story?

@ Zakathius - great work. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

;)

Philip

wow. its been a while since i looked in on this thread...so first, congrats on the 1000 (+ now) and thanks for the work on pulling this mass together in a presentable fashion!

second, I need to put out a big Thank You! to whoever it was that edited my chapter's marine to have the badge on his shoulder...looks damn nice!

@ trub - no worries. Do you have a copy with the chapter symbol?

@ Shinzaren - I need a v5 painter version, armed with a bolter, and the chapter symbol.

@ GhostLegion - thanks, and it was Dazzo.

@ Ecritter - do you have a copy with the chapter symbol?

Philip