apologies for the rushed pics but i did it really quickly, if you guys want Im sure i can take better, more detailed pictures for you
also this was my first go at this symbol so it might seem a bit rough, but its really not overly difficult and with practice yours will look better.
the important thing to remember is to thin your paints a bit as that way it will flow off of the brush better, it makes this sort of thing so much easier.
the other thing to note is that i painted this in black because it shows up better. i also painted it on some card so its a bit bigger than it would be on a shoulder pad but the process is exactly the same.
1) start by painting an 'S' shape. this will form the basis of the body and tail.
2) add a small 'V' at the top of the S. this will be the wolfs head and jaws. also add a small dash pointing upwards from where the V and S meet. this will be the wolfs ear.
3) Make the legs by adding some small 'Z' shapes at the bottom of the curve on the S.
4) For the upper legs use a small slightly curved line. you don't have to attatch these to the S as the body will be widened slightly in a few steps.
Ok thats the basic shape made. Now we need to start to build up a more defined image of the wolf.
5) Ok, you need to paint another 'S' shape for the front of the belly. this should start at the point of the 'V' and run down to where the back leg joins the 'S'. This will widen the neck and create the stomach area.
you also need to add two small '(' shaped lines. one from the head half way down the spine, and the second where the first ends, at a slight angle, and finishing at the base of the tail.
6) Using small lines you can make the mane and tail. The idea here is to create several points. do this by by painting several angled dashes a bit like this \\\. there should be some running from where the ear is to the bottom of the first '(' you painted by the wolfs spine. the same should be done on the tail but you need to do this both sides of the line.
it should be something like this \\\\
7) add another 'V' shape at the top of the lower leg, this will be the thigh. once that is done add some more dashes to the lower part of the leg as shown in the picture below.
8) now you need to add the claws at the end of the foot. this is simply three small lines. imagine it a bit like this /_
9) Finish the other leg in much the same way. The techniques used will be identical to those above.
10) for the upper legs you will need to work in a similar way. make the dashes point away from the body and then add the claws on the end of the leg.
11) Complete the last leg in the same method. once you have done this leg add a small line starting half way along the bottom of the two top legs and finishing just beneath the upper most, this will stop the leg from looking to thin and add a bit of definition. do a similar line on the top most leg but this one doesn't need to start so far along the leg and should thicken out the neck very slightly.
+apologies for the smudge on this picture, the paint was slightly wet and i brushed it with my sausage fingers +
12) this is a very quick step. you simply need to another 'Z' shaped line starting from the bottom of the ear forming the shape of his eye and then dropping into the snout. this is simply done to give the wolf a more defined head
13) this is the very final step, simply fill in the gaps in the wolf. there may be some untidy edges but don't worry as you can easily tidy up the edges by using whatever colour the background of the shoulder pad should be.
And there we go. It may look long and complicated but its all simple shapes and i would urge you to give it a try even if you think its beyond you. there is no harm in trying. maybe use a scrap bit of card and try it a few times rather than trying it for the first time on your freshly painted mini.
lastly, if you guys like this do you want me to do any more similar tutorials for some of the other logos?
+apologies for all the underscores on some of the mini diagrams for the claws and tail but i had to do that otherwise the placement of the bottom row was messed up+
Edited by stinkenheim, 06 December 2009 - 10:34 PM.