More Tales from the Fang

Warhorse47

"Vassakov! You and what's left of your pack, form up on me!" The Wolf Guard Ragnarok pointing to a shattered building, he ordered the last 7 Gray Hunters to take up positions to provide covering fire to their brothers. Warhorse found a spot where he could use the old Dark Angel plasma rifle he had "liberated" from somewhere during the last 3 weeks of this battle, while Vassakov slammed one of his last clips home into his well worn bolter. " Horse, how much ammo do you have left?" "Not enough my brother, take these last 2 clips and I will use this toy" was all Warhorse said. The vengeful shriek of missiles coming in was all the warning they got as a battered Rhino came careening down the street. "When in Blazes did the Blood Angels show up?" Ragnarok muttered as the markings became visible under the mud and damage. The cause of it's erratic course became obvious as it neared, with a tread ready to fly loose and a young Blood Claw driving. "By Russ, that's that young whelp Schertenlieb! Where did he get a Rhino? And more importantly, where is Irlin?" Stepping boldly into the street, Ragnarok bellowed for the Rhino to stop and take a blocking position in the rubble. As it slewed around, the tread finally gave out, slamming the Rhino hard into position stopping less than a meter from Ragnarok, who calmly reached out and lit a permamatch on the hull for his cigar. Irlin was the first out, grimly smiling at his former packmate and shaking his head. "Glad to see you Brother, we've wounded aboard and almost out of ammo." "Get the wounded into cover and spread out their ammo as best you can, we are almost spent as well." was his only comment. "How many are left?" "We lost half our number in the last fight, by Russ, I hate fighting nurgle forces." Turning to the building the Wolf Guard yelled for Vassakov to join them. "Take command of these Blood Claws and form them up over there so we can use a cross fire on them when they show up." "You can't just put someone we don't know in command of our pack like that!" yelled a tall, rangy Blood Claw. Vassakov's open handed slap knocked him flat and completely unconscious. The Rune Priest stated, "Ah Jonas, he's all courage and action. If he lives he will be a fearsome one." The other Blood Claws looked on in shock and surprise as Vassakov looked at them. "Anyone else have a problem with my giving you orders?' he quietly whispered. All who knew him, knew when he spoke so softly, it was time to worry. "Alright then, set up firing points from those windows and clear paths so when it's time to close you don't trip over yourselves or debris." He then knelt down and poured some water onto Jonas' face and then hauled him to his feet. "quit sleeping lad, we've work to do."

Two days later, as they were refitting, treating their wounded and repairing armor, Irlin finally had time to tell their full story. "We got dropped off by the Crusader, and headed over to the Northwind sector. The whole area was overgrown and all of a sudden we literally stumbeld over that Blood Angel's Rhino. It had gotten bogged down and it wouldn't start, but that young pup Firenze actually got it running and freed up. That's when we got hit. They came boiling up out of the sewers just like the bloody plague they are. We lost four in the first attack before we could even draw weapons it seemed. Firenze and Schert' were using the Rhino to literally grind them into the ground and young Jonas over there had a chain sword in each hand and was like a bloody dervish. Well, it was a running fight for the next several hours until we ran into you and you Hunters. We lost seven good Claws, brave lads, all of them. What is going to happen to them now?" Characteristically, the Mage never mentioned his own part in the battle or worried about himself. A wolf in heavily scorched armor settled down next to them as Ragnarok chuckled. "Well 'horse, that DA plasma gun sure made a mess of your armor didn't it?" "Aye, they are finding me another helm and I told them this time I wanted a melta." Irlin laughed and said "Oh ready to become a Long Fang are you?" Everyon but Ragnarok laughed, and he just looked thoughtfully away. They all looked up as a red transport pulled up. What had been a Blood Angel Rhino, now bore the evidence of rushed repairs and a bold "VI" proudly painted on a new twin linked laser turret that had been hastily fitted to it. Another Gray Hunter, Decoy looked over thoughtfully and asked "Are there any more abandoned vehicles left there?"

More to come....

This I seem to realise is a long while before my saga. I am still a Claw it seems. I do like how these threads have arced together to provide the largest picture of our Fang I've seen in a long while.

I do like the way I seem to be assembling everything naturally on instinct!

"Alright Decoy, let's hear your idea." The fighting unit had grown by several as other Wolves, cut off from their own packs, had joined up. Perhaps the strangest addition were two small children, who had been rescued by the Wolf Priest Bjeorn. The boy, about 10 , sat protectively by his younger sister, who was curled up by Bjeorn's wolf, Inga. Two scouts had also shown up, swelling this new pack even more.

"Aye, brother" Decoy replied"We were lucky Growler and Wolf showed up. Their report says this idea might work. There are at least one more Rhino and a Land Raider stranded in the same field that the Gray Mage and his Blood Claws found the other one in. Must have been a brutal swamp when it is wet, but as dry as it has been, I think we could get them out. Growler and Wolf are the key, they sneak in and set up with our reports. Then we use our new Razorback to carry the fuel we need to them. Once we fuel them up, we use a flamer to burn the overgrowth as fast as possible and get out. With any luck, we can at least fuel without the chaos scum spotting us. If we can get both, that keeps them out of the chaos hands and boosts us. If we cant, we melta & grenade them to deny them to our enemies." Ragnarok leaned back and pondered the plan, it was a highly risky gamble with the lives of his men, but had to be done, as if the chaos forces got them and turned them it could break open the Wolves own defenses. "Very well, Vass, you and Irlin will take the Claws and Rhino 4 with the fuel, Irlin, you will go with them. Warhorse, you are with them too, if we have to slag them your Melta will be needed there. I will take the rest of the Hunters and Bjeorn in the red Razorbackr.The children will stay with Inga back here. Scouts head out, we will follow in one hour."

The rest of the pack began to combat load with extra ammo and checking weapons and armor. Even Warhorse was smiling as he pulled on his helmaet, as Jonas looked like, according to Bjeorn, "Like a Rogue trader cartoon of a pirate" with two bandoliers of ammo crossing his chest and two chain swords. The fuel tanks were quickly strapped on top of the Rhino as Schert' climbed in to drive with Vassakov claiming the pintle bolter. Everyone cheered when they saw Bjeorn claim the lasers on the Razorback, as his smile threatened to split him at the ears.

As they neared the site of the earlier liberation of the Pred' Growler's voice came over the comm link "Still quiet, we may just pull this off." "Okay lads, let's do this as quickly as we can. "Came Vassakov's order. "Yeah and what about the old guys?" muttered Jonas, elbowing 'Horse with a grin. "You just stay up with me." was his answer.Schertenlieb slid the Rhino between the 2 overgrown vehicles easily and everyone quickly climbed out and began using chainswords and knives to clear off the growth. "Hey, this is a Dark Angel's Raider! Can we keep it?" "only of we can get it running!" Firenze slid into the Raider's cockpit and began plugging in a fresh power module, just in case the old one had drained while anothe Claw, Hidden Wolf did the same with the Rhino. Schert kept the other idling, in case a quick exit would be needed. Jonas wrestled one of the fuel tanks onto the Rhino and Horse grabbed another for the Raider. "Warhorse, not that one! It's our last keg of Wolfwhiz!" cried Jonas. "What was it doing on top?" demanded the Horse!all of a sudden the Raider under his feet began to rumble before he could get an answer. "Hey, it likes ale!" The Rhino took several tries before it too, coughed to life. "Hey i think we're gonna make it>" said Schertenlieb. Everyone just looked at him in horror, waiting for Murphy's Law to strike.....

It struck with a vengeance.

The two nearest buildings seemed tg erupt with mutants, far too many to count. charging the Wolves. Bjeorn opened the game with laser strikes as the bolters on both transports fired. "Get these beasts moving!" roared Vassakov. The scouts opened up with a missile, tearing a great hole in the attack, Irlin was casting balls of lightning into their very teeth, but on they came. Then the lasers on the Raider opened up as well, but it was too late as the mutant wave swept over the Wolves, Jonas leapt between the roofs to join Warhorse on the Raider and they stood back to back, firing desperately until both were swept off the Raider. Now all three drivers gunned engines and all 3 vehicles answered the call, literally running down the horde and trying to free their brothers. Suddenly a great hole appeared swallowing most of the attackers with the sound of a horrifying wolf howl. A solitary Rune priest strode through, defying his enemies and casting wrath on them. The few remaining mutants fell quickly as Mikal Wiolfheart strode up. He reached over to steady a tall young wolf who had somehow kept his feet, each hand gripping a chain sword. "Where's the Horse?" Jonas cried! Suddenly, a misshapen figure dragged itself free from the mire, where the Land Raider had run over the largest group of mutants. Pulling his helm off, Warhorse looked at the raider and said "I.m gonna kill that boy...."

Wolf Guard Battle Leader Ragnarok shook his head in bewilderment at the condition of the Space Wolves' encampment. In all his centuries it still awed him, the way Wolves who had been vicious killing machines only brief hours earlier would then turn around and care for those they had just fought and died to protect. But even so, he had never seen anything like this. Tarps stretched between vehicles to offer cover, even pieces of the destroyed Dark Eldar transports being used to provide shelter and battle hardened veterans watching over the children of the wounded and dead as things and families were sorted out. This community however, was truly amazing, one of the children had called a Wolf "Uncle" and it now seemed that every wolf was uncle someone to the youngsters. But the truly fascinatng sight was Irlin the Gray Mage's two Fenrisian wolves, Odin and Thor, nearly buried under the kids, who were drawn to them ever since the battle in which the 2 great wolves had torn several warp beasts to shreds before they could reach the school they were trying to get to. As he approached the field kitchen Firenze had cobbled together, he was almost knocked over by Vassakov and Jonas, both laughing so hard they could barely breathe. With both of them unable to tell him what was so funny, he came around the corner to see Warhorse with a small child, missing both front teeth holding his hand and looking up at him. Decoy looked over and obviously repeating the little girl's request said "C'mon Unca Warts, tell us a story...." before he sagged back against a nearby Rhino shaking with laughter himself. The old Long Fang, trying unsuccessfully to maintain his dignity, straightened his shoulders and said "Alright then I will tell you a tale from many years ago about another wolf named Inga, a boy and girl named Toby and Jenna and a land raider that liked ale."

Checking his Multi melta again and laying his helm at his side, Warhorse sat down and found himself surrounded by kids. Other Wolves leaned back as he began....

"We had just survived a battle when we grabbed the Rhino marked number 5 over there and the Land Raider named Daniel that's over there from a bunch of enemies. We had left the two children, Toby and Jenna with the Wolf Priest Bjeorn's wolf Inga for safety. She is the great grandmother of Thor and Odin over there and she really liked those kids. We were heading back and just starting to breathe normally, when we heard Inga's howl. Now there are several sounds those wolves will make when they are talking to you, and you get to know them after a while. Well this was a howl a wolf gives when it's time for battle and she is calling the rest of her pack to the fight. When we heard that cry, we sped as quickly as we could to get there! We were ready to take on the mutants again, weapons loaded and charged, when we came to the scene. To our amazement, ti wasn't mutants, daemons or anything we ever expected to fight. Inga was there with the 2 children behind her, facing an Imperial Inquisitor and his retinue! Bjeorn, the Senior Wolf there, leapt from the Razorback he was on and landed in front of the Inquisitor. "What in Russ' name is going on?" he roared, his face centimeters from the Inquisitor's. "They have been in the presence of mutants! And I will take them now!" was the Inquisitor's response. "I don't think so, I examined them myself when I found them half starved hiding in what was left of their home after you idiots shelled the wrong area!" None of the Wolves had ever seen Bjeorn as angry as he was then, but the injustice done to the victims had fueled his rage. The =][= retinue had slowly started to try to raise their weapons to impress the angry Wolf Priest, but that proved to be the wrong move to make as the Wolves leveled their own weapons. All of a sudden the Land Raider pulled forward, slamming the Chimera the Inquisition had arrived in, into the wall. "Firenze, enough! I will deal with this." ordered Bjeorn. "I'm right here" stated Firenze, standing next to Decoy, and both were several meters from the errant Raider. "There's no one in here!" cried Schertenlieb as he climbed up and looked inside. Slowly, the lasers swung around to point directly at the Inquisitor. "Possessed!, Daemon spawn!" The Inquisitor hissed and Firenze said, "I don't think so, it wouldn't have fired on those mutants back there by itself if it was possessed." "You weren't doing the shooting?" asked Jonas. "No, it was the Machine Spirit" replied Firenze. While this was going on, one of the Retinue was trying to move around with a flamer towards the children and Inga. Feeling, rather than seeing something next to him, he turned to find himself staring down the maw of a mud smeared meltagun, held in the hands of a very filthy and scowling Gray Hunter. Taking a deep breath to keep his temper under control, Bjeorn turned to the Inquisitor and told him, "You know we Wolves think little of you Inquisitors as a whole. We give honor and respect to those who have earned it. You have done neither. You have exhausted my patience, now if you wish to try to take these children, you will have to do it by wiping out this pack,as we will not give them to you." The silence stretched on for several heartbeats as the Inquisitor tried desperately to find a way to salvage his dignity and pride. Finally, he said "You are certain they are free from taint oh stubborn Wolf Priest?" "Aye, I have already told you that." "Very well, their fates hang on your word, but I will remember this." "Good, my name is Bjeorn. Mark it well along with this day and do not tempt my hand again. Now get out of my sight. Firenze, get their transport freed up so they can leave." Grinning wildly, the young Blood Claw climbed into the cockpit of the Raider and slowly backed it free of the Chimera whose gleaming black paint now bore the unmistakable scars of the building and the Land Raider.

As the Inquisition left, Decoy walked over and wiped off the name badge which still bore the faded name "Daniel" on the side. "Well, Daniel, it seems you have thrown in with us. Well met, my large brother!' The ramp slowly began to lower as the Raider then turned and allowed Inga and the children to enter, it's first passengers as a Space Wolf."

As Warhorse finished his tale, he noticed a young boy reaching up to wipe off the proud name of "Daniel" now boldly written on the Raider. The Wolves all smiled a private smile at the large cask which was always strapped to the flank of the great war machine, knowing that was a tale for another day....

Leaning back in a shady spot near Firenze's field kitchen, Wolf Guard Battle Leader Ragnarok looked over the encampment. smiling to himself, he allowed himself the luxury of relaxing for a moment. The small encampment was bustling and overcrowded, but still the people here were trying to rebuild after the Dark Eldar had made the mistake of coming here. What a near thing it had been, if the Wolves' Battle Barge had not dropped out of the warp unexpectedly, it would have been a slaughter. As it was, the Eldar had learned why Space Marines were nicknamed the "Angels of Death' as drop pods and Thunderhawks delivered a payload of fury and wrath. He took in the view, Decoy wandering around, looking like he wanted to surrender, holding his Wolf Claws above the heads of running children, Irlin the Gray Mage looking at his huge wolves, who now had ribbons in their manes from the kids.........

All of a sudden the 2 wolves stood up, growling, then raising their heads in fierce howls, and alerting their pack to danger incoming. Magnoculars, auspexes and targeting systems were quickly aimed at the direction the wolves were facing as the adults grabbed the kids and hustled them to what cover was left of their town. As usual, Schertenlieb spotted them first, "DE raiders heading this way, four of 'em at least." Memories unbidden flowed forward to Ragnarok as he watched his veterans prepare once again to stop the enemies of his people......

"Land Raider heading this way and four mobs of mutants, at least..." the young Blood Claw Schertenlieb reported to Wolf Guard Ragnarok. He was getting a reputation for quick eyes and good counting among his pack, a valuable skill. Vassakov and the rest of the Blood Claws quickly formed up on the left, ready to make the enemy pat dearly against a huge levy built there that would even withstand a Land Raider's attention. Scouts, where did they disappear to? Oh well, they will be ready wherever they turn up at, those two especially had a knack for timing it just right. He knew they only had 2 loads for their missile launcher though. Warhorse atop a shattered plascrete column with his meltagun and Decoy yelling at him again. Mikal and Irlin on either flank and grim Bjeorn heading over to join the Blood Claws with Inga. "Where are the kids?' he wondered, then saw little Jenna wave at him from the shattered building behind the Gray Hunters. Waving at her to keep down he checked his terminator armor once more and then climbed aboard the Land Raider named Daniel. Feeling a little strange to be talking to the great warmachine, he leaned over and whispered,"If we get through this, I will personally make sure you get some more Wolfwhiz." As if in response, the engine roared just a little louder.

"Enemy Raider in range of lasers" Open fire, as soon as the mobs are in range, engage them too." came his order. The hiss of ionizing air was heard as the lasers opened up but were unable to penetrate the great machine. "it's a Redeemer" was heard over the comm bead "We out range it" "Not for long" someone muttered sotto voce. Once again lasers scorched the Raider to no avail when all of a sudden a missile flashed from a wrecked building almost from directly above, driving straight through the open hatch where the driver was looking out. For a heartbeat it seemed nothing had happened then it seemed to slowly swell as the promethium aboard it detonated, causing it to swell and then a great ball of hungry orange flame roared out devouring the Raider and any mutants too close to it. "Great shot Growler, now get your furry carcass out of there before you are overrun." Too late for that, they are coming up now, but we will make them pay dearly." "VASSAKOV, GET THERE NOW!" came the order. The Blood Claws now raced down the top of the levy, carving a bloody path of destruction as they went to the aid of their elder brothers. The mutants then saw the gap left by their attack and tried to head towards it as the fire from the Gray Hunters ripped their numbers to shreds, but it was not enough to stop them. Hitting the hatch release, Ragnarok leapt from the Land Raider, his storm bolter roaring and activating his Frost Blade charged into the gap. As he felt the call of the wolf rise in his veins, he roared out an oath against his foes, his armor taking blow after blow, ears ringing from the concussions and his hearts roaring with fury as he stood unyielding, a bulwark in a sea of death, holding on as the Raider's guns tore about him and Gray Hunters fought their way to his side. Blasts of lightning from the Rune Priests' tore a path for the others to reach him, but Ragnarok did not care, ignoring his wounds he climbed atop a pile of mutants and drove the horde backwards, creating a legend still told to the young Blood Claws to this day.

Slowly oh so slowly, his rage coming under control, Ragnarok looked about him, realizing there were no enemies left alive. Blood Claws, Gray Hunters, Scouts and Priests all looking at him in awe as the great Land Raider idled next tohim and even Inga, slid quietly to his side to push her great head under his hand. Suddenly he heard Bjeorn bellow out "Attention! Present arms!" As his Pack reached back in their memories to their earliset training, they all responded automatically, saluting him with pride.His heart nearly breaking with the honor his brothers had just given him, he started to speak ss darkness claimed him from his wounds, his former packmate Irlin lowering him to the ground as Bjeorn came up to treat him.

Tearing his mind back to the present, he yelled for the Wolves to make one final armor check and fire when ready. Patting Daniel on the flank, he said "Old friend, here we go again...."

Archived