More Tales from the Fang

Warhorse47

Vassakov and Jonas dragged a wounded Decoy behind a shattered vehicle as they continued to fire at the approaching Tyranids. Coughing up blood Decoy choked out "you two get out of here, I'll take a few more with me." "We aren't leaving you brother, besides you are too ugly to be a hero." Seeing more 'nids coming in from their flank, Jonas lobbed two grenades into them with deadly effect, buying them enough time to drag Decoy into a large factorum beside them. Stifling a curse as one of the bugs ripped into his power armnor, Vassakov brought his chainsword down through the attacker's body, ripping it in half. Unfortunately, the damage was done, his knee joint ripped open, he was now barely able to walk himself. Jonas threw Decoy over his shoulder, than grabbed his pack leader and began to support him too, climbing up a flight of stairs to get them away from the 'nids. Looking back, Decoy watched the remains of the swarm come through the doors after them. "Jonas! Ht the deck!" came a familiar voice from above. Dropping so that Warhorse could open up with his meltagun, the three Wolves watched their attackers vaporize, and then Warhorse helped them all to the next level. "Kid did you lose both chainswords?", Jonas grinned back at the Horse "Yeah, one shattered and the other is still stuck in the Carnifex we took out." Looking down, they saw more nids forming outside the building, surrounding it. Vassakov was on the command frequency, and looked over at his brothers, "They are trying to form up to counterattack, I told them we would be here when they got here." "Is that what I think it is?" asked Jonas. "Well Vass, looks like you lied to our brothers," chiked out Decoy, "because, yeah Jonas, thats a Hive Tyrant about to come through the doors." The Horse grabbed Jonas and hauled him aside and shoved his old chain axe into Jonas' hands. Look, we've got one chance to turn this here and now. You have to take those two and jump to the next building over and get word of what's going on here to the Pack. I'll buy as much time here as i can with the melta. No arguing grb them and go!" Jonas realized that the older Wolf was right, strapping the blood gift to his armor, he grabbed Decoy and Vass, surprising both by throwing them over each shoulder. The powerful young wolf then ran as hard as possible, scrashing through a window and vaulting several meters across an alley to land on the roof of the building next door.

Firing thrice more to keep the attention of the nid swarm and buy time, Warhorse worked his way across the factory to the production area of the noodle factory. Meanwhile Vassakov was cursing Jonas and yelling at Horse to get out of there. They could see the Wolf force slashing their way down the street, a combined assault that was slaughtering everything in their path to reach their trapped brothers. Running out of time, the Horse looked down and laughed, "Alright you cursed filthy bugs, come on! This Son of Russ will laugh as I stand on your bodies in the Halls of Valhalla this night!" Aiming his melta at the top of the storage silos,he pulled the trigger and turned the silos into a fuel air bomb weighing several hundred tons.

The explosion blew out windows over a kilometer awy and rocked everything that wasn't nailed down for blocks around. Tyranids were vaporized and thrown against buildings, crushing them into paste. Land Speeders were litterally blown out of control and those Wolves on foot were knocked flat.

Two days later, Schertenlieb climbed slowly out of his Razorback and slowly lowered the ramp. Normally exuberant, he moved like an old man, heavy with grief. "I found him." was all he could say. As his packmates gathered round, they saw the scorched armor and realized it was literally fused from the explosion. Jonas just looked at the axe he now carried. His oldest friend Decoy leaned over and said, "Goodbye old friend." then leaned over to look in the eyes of his helmet once more. To his amazement, one of the eyes winked at him! Literally knocking the scorched debris loose, he fought with the latches to get the helm free. As Warhorse grinned at them he breathed deeply at the first fresh air in two days. "It was getting stuffy in there," he said "and somebody scratch my nose for me, it's itching like crazy!" "oh, so your nose itches? ooh that is miserable, bet you are glad you aren't itching in the middle of your shoulders, aren't you?"

"Don't talk like that!"

"Or when your foot itches, that's miserable too..."

"What's even worse is when your belly button itches..."

"AAAAAAAAGH!"

As Firenze walked into the Fang's hall he smiled at the surroundings. The Iron Priest's smile widened as he spotted Decoy and the Gray Mage, Irlin sitting in the corner with Warhorse. Walking over he tossed a helmet to the Horse, "Well, I fixed it again. How many helms have you gone through in your years?" "Oh, one or two, I guess." as the others laughed. "so what are you two doing in from the warp?" asked Firenze. "Collecting some more warriors for our hunting pack." was the answer. Warhorse nodded, "Aye, I will be joining them too. As I never was an original memeber of that Long Fang pack, they can bring one of their own brothers up now." "Look who else just came in!" waving Vassakov over to their table Decoy yelled for more food and ale. Vassakov's smile was ear to ear as he said "Wait until you hear this." As they all leaned forward Jonas came in cursing and raising nine kinds of fury. Heading straight for their table, he yelled at Vassakov "This is all your fault!" Before he could continue, a pack of brand new and untested Blood Claws came through the doors, yelling for a fight and demanding to know where Jonas Stromclaw was.

Warhorse, this was an excellent read. I loved the fact it shows SW in all the right light. I also like that it had some other chapters in it but would love to see more interaction between the SW and the UM

"I'm Stromclaw," stated Jonas,"and you must be Pack Windrider." The largest of the Claws strode up, got in Jonas' face and said "That's right, so you are supposed to be the one to teach us how to be warriors?" Jonas sighed and looked over at Vassakov, "Please tell me I wasn't nearly this stupid back then?" As his fellow Wolves howled with laughter, Jonas calmly removed his gauntlet and said "Well, at least I remember how you taught me to deal with this...."

As Thor and Odin licked the faces of the semi conscious Blood Claws and some semblance of order was restored in the hall, Jonas handed a very large ale to Vassakov and said "I heartily apologize....". Then starting to lift his new pack to their feet told them to grab chairs and drag a table over so they could meet real warriors and get "Unca Warts" to tell them a tale.......

Jester dragged himself to his knees and looked out of his right eye. The left had swollen shut two hours earlier during the early part of the honor fight with the Dark Angel. As tradition had demanded when the two chapters met and honor duel would be fought and as the runes were cast, his name was chosen. Looking over at the DA warrior, he saw that he was much smaller and at least 30 kilos lighter. Then the runes called for the fight to be without their armor. His opponent had looked over and laughed out loud when he saw this. Jester knew he would have a hard time and it had been true. He knew that several times he could have given up, with no loss of honor, but he could not. So as he found his strength once more he launched himself into his foe once more. For the first time he felt his opponent start to buckle. Dropping his head, he felt the wolf rise within him and put all he had left into this final assault. Driving his nemesis back into a Rhino, he snapped his head up, catching his foe under the chin. The marine who had been indestructible moments earlier, now went slack and slid slowly to the ground, unconscious. Dropping back to his knees, Jester barely heard the shouts from both sides, but the honor duel was over. Vassaakov and Schertenlieb helped the smaller wolf to his feet and half carried him over to the Wolves' area where he was greeted like Russ himself returning from the warp. Looking up, he saw Bjeorn and the DA Chaplain shake hands as traditions had been upheld.

He barely had gotten his armor on the next morning when he heard arguing outside the Blood Claw's tent. "Who is the perpetrator of this heresy?" demanded a voice from a heavily cloaked figure. As the pack came boiling out of the tent, they realized that the speaker was from the Adeptus Mechanicus. "What heresy do you mean?" Pointing to the Ork looted Chimera standing there, the Mech' continued "Is it true that you Wolves have tried to reclaim that abomination without the blessing of the Omnissiah?" "Well, we took it away from them and are using it ourselves, what is the problem with that?" Bran asked, obviously annoyed. "It has been defiled, and now you drive it around as some sort of trophy!" "Well, yeah, that about sums it up. Why not?" "Because you cannot resanctify it. Until the Mechanicus or one of our Priests consecrates it you cannot use it!" "Well, we asked you guys to get it running for us when we took it, but you were too busy, so we fixed it ourselves." This revelation seemed to be a physical blow against the Mechanicus as he then launched into a tirade that drew a lot of attention for the length, depth and obvious knowledge of profanity that it now drew from the Mec'. It didn't help when he finally stopped to draw breath and Warhorse asked him, "Would you repeat that, I want to make sure I didn't miss anything for the next time I run into a Commissar?". Meanwhile Decoy and Irlin were sneaking Firenze and Schertenlieb away from the scene. "Get Firenze over to the Command Post and tell them what is going on." was the Gray Mage's order to Schert. "Don't stop until you get there>" as he shoved them into the Razorback. Decoy then looked over and said, "What is all this about anyway?" "Firenze has been drawing a LOT of attention lately with all of us letting him work and repair stuff. So he's being sent to Mars to become an Iron Priest. Now we have to keep the cogboys from tearing him apart before he can get there." Returning to the entertainment of Warhorse, Bran and Vassakov harassing the Tech Priest, they discovered that the Priest's humor had not improved as he continued to berate the Wolves, with "horse interrupting him and telling him to slow down as he tried to make notes. His demands to see the blasphemer who had dared to work on their equipment was finally answered by Irlin, who simply told him "He isn't here. And will not be returning. You have my word as a Rune Priest of the Space Wolves." This statement caught all the Wolves by as much surprise as it did the Tech Priest.

More to come.....

As Schert and Firenze neared the HQ, they saw that there were Mechanicus all around. Stopping out of sight of the cogboys, Schert told Firenze to do something to make the Razor run poorly. In a couple of minutes, it began to smoke and sputter "Okay hang on and when I get em confused you slip out and sneak in" he told his packmate. Nearing the checkpoint, the Techpriest headed straight for them "Why are treating this transport this way?" he demanded. "I was told to bring it to you so it could be blessed to start running right again." Schert managed to get out with a straight face. As the Priest and his servitiors began swarming over the Razorback, Firenze slipped past them and with a broad wink to his brother was quickly out of sight of the checkpoint.

Meanwhile, Decoy spotted Beef standing near Jester and Jonas, quickly motioning for them to join him Beef complained "That is the most fun we've had since getting here, why are you dragging us away? "We need a distraction, and we are going to give them one.' As the 4 wolves slipped around the corner, they saw what he had in mind. Quickly climbing aboard two Dark Angel Land Speeders idling nearby, they took off. At least the one with Beef at the controls did and the one piloted by Jester promptly shot straight back through the thin wall separating them from the crowd around the enraged Techpriest and the rest of the Wolves. As they dove for cover, they could hear Jonas yelling "I thought you said you could fly this thing?" "Well I saw Warhorse do it." was the only answer they heard as the speeder rocketed across the grounds. Meanwhile Beef was drawing more attention by nearly decapitating the DA crews whose speeders they had hijacked. The mechanicus' were screaming into their commlinks to watch for the speeders which were now rocketing across the area in different directions. Beef and Decoy heading for the HQ and Jester and Jonas barreling backwards at a row of Sentinels parked on the edge of the tarmac....

"Turn left......NO the OTHER left!" yelled Jonas as he looked back over the rear of the land speeder.

"Why did we have top steal a speeder from the repair shop anyway?"

"Uh oh" Jester said, as Jonas looked over to Jester, he saw the shorter Wolf hand him something. It took a moment to realize it was the throttle control.

"Errr, I don't know if this is good or not, but I see several Ravenwing speeders chasing us" Jester then told him. Trying desperately to keep his footing while standing in the runaway speeder. Jonas didn't dare look back at their pursuers as he and Jester tried to keep from splattering themselves all over the buildings and vehicles all over the spaceport staging area.

Meanwhile, Beef and Decoy were having their own problems.

"What's that red light?" Decoy asked,

"It means we're on fire"

"Are you sure?"

" Yup. pretty sure, You want to take a look?"

"Uh, I guess so...."

"How bad is it?"

"Looks like the size of a melta gun hit. You sure Warhorse didn't shoot this thig?'

"Um, the staging area is that way."

"I know, it won't turn that direction....."

"Oh, I'm afraid to ask, but will it turn the other direction?"

"Well, now that you mention it....."

As Beef and Decoy's speeder began to spew smoke, they got "help" in the form of an Adeptus flyer coming alongside and demanding they turn over the heretic who had been working on machinery without the blessings of the Omnissiaih. They then saw several Ravenwing bikers closing in on them as well.

"You know, as much as I hate to admt it, those Angels can really handle those bikes."

"Yeah, they are awfully good." was the comment as they roared across the tarmac, dodging, weaving and still gaining ground on the purloined speeder. Finally closing the gap, a veteran sergeant yelled at them to aim for a clear landing pad ahead in case the speeder would blow. Seeing what he was talking about , Beef tried to juggle the throttle controls on the engines to aim the damaged skimmer that way as the DA bikers literally cleared a path for them.

"Why are we getting closer to the ground?"

"The engine's giving out."

"That wall is looking a little too high...."

"I'm so glad you noticed. Now hang on!"

As they reached the blast wall, they almost made it over, but the sensor dish slung beneath the speeder didn't quite clear. With a nasty sound it was ripped free sending the speeder into the Mechanicus skimmer before it hit the ground. As the speeder skidded to a halt, the engines finally caught fire. As the Ravenwing bikers pulled alongside, Decoy and Beef watched a DA Storm land speeder also fly up. The crew whose speeder was burning looked on in horror. Even though his armor was gleaming black, many battle scars were visible as the veteran swung off his bike. He walked past the Wolves and up to the Angels whose speeder was now a funeral pyre of metal and said, "Just where were you two when these 2 took your speeder for a joy ride?" As they tried to stammer out an excuse, the Mechanicus Priest who had started all the ruckus climbed out of the damaged flyer. "Which one of you two are the one who has been defiling the machines with your tampering?" he roared. "Hey we just saw this thing start burning and wanted to get it out of the area before it blew up." was Decoy's answer. "Yeah, if you had a real brain left in there, you'd realize we would have grabbed a running one or fixed it ourselves." Was Beef's comment. The cogboy then turned and ran back to his flyer, screaming to get going after the other speeder. As he left, one of the Ravenwing quietly asked what was really going on. As the story unfolded to their erstwhile allies, the bikers began to smila and then laugh at the description of the early morning argument with the techpriest. Wondering why they found this so funny, the Wolves had to ask "WHY?" It turned out that the Techpriest had gotten into an argument with the DA Techprists over the Ravenwing Commander Sammael's jet bike, wanting access to it to examine it and had been refused.

Mean while back at the other speeder......

As the three Ravenwing Land Speeders closed in, Jonas was still directing Jester's efforts to keep their speeder from smearing them all over the spaceport. One of the Angels motioned for them the slow down and when Jester held up the throttle, he could see the other's eyes go wide. He did not know what he said over hteir comms, but the other 2 speeders then shot ahead of them to clear a path.

"Man Jester, you ought to see these guys fly, they are something else."

"I just wish I could see where we are going."

"Yeah it would help if you were tall enough to see over the cockpit..."

"Very funny."

"Hey, are birds bad on land speeders going backwards?"

"Why?"

In answer to that question, Jonas ducked as it sounded like they were going through a Hydra battery attack. The speeder shook madly from the impacts as they roared through the flock of birds. Suddenly the Port engine seized up, throwing the speeder into a spin like a dervish and causing Jonas to lose his grip and be hurled from the land speeder. Hitting the gihly polished tarmac at full speed, his armor took the impact, but his velocity was like a guided missile careening along through wildly scattering IG troops, a hot dog vendor and finally becoming airborne again off a luggage cart. He sailed through the air with all the grace of a wounded thoat before landing ang bouncing his way into a tent Marked "Order of the Purging Heart" accompanied by his oaths and lots of feminine screaming and yelling.

All Jester could do was grimly hang on as the centrifugal forces that had launched his brother now pinned him in place. Suddenly he saw a flash that told him he was about to meet the front armor of an IG Baneblade. The sudden bone-jarring stop was expected, but there was no way to truly prepare for it. As his ears rang, he realized the speeder was now completely wrapped around him. He could hear the Ravenwings as they tried to pull the metal open and then he heard a deep voice say "Me do it." The biggest hands he had ever seen then began to peel the metal back and finally a huge head appeared. "Hi, me Rokk" and Jester realized his liberator was one of the ogryn troops they had seen earlier. "Uh hi Rokk, I'm Jester.' As the ogryn pulled him from the wreckage like he would lift a tankard, he was amazed. Rokk said to him "Funny, we like" He then saw the ogryn all smilling down at him and then asked "Where's Jonas?'

If you mean your battle brother, he launched into the Sisters of Battle area."

"Sisters? He must be taking after Warhorse..."

"Warhorse? A warrior about 3 centuries old? Scar running like this?"

"That's him. You know him?"

"Oh yes, I gave him that scar. When we were youngsters we fought to a draw in an honor fight. Eighteen hours.....aren't you the one who fought yesterday?"

"Yessir, that was me."

"Well fought, now explain to me what you were doing with our speeder."

"Nehemiah? Is that you?" rasped out a familiar voice. Turning to see his pack arriving, Jester was glad to turn this part over to his leaders as Warhorse pulled the DA aside to tell him the story. Vassakov told them that the Thunderhawk was now aboard the Wolve's battle barge and would soon be on his way to Mars. About this time the Mechanicus flyer slowly settled down and their favorite Techpriest climbed out. Seeing the Wolves already there he again launched into his demands for the defiler. Rokk and several other ogryn were standing there until the Techpriest turned to yell at one of them for leaning against his flyer.

Watch yourself Priest, we owe them an honor debt for rescuing our brother." warned Vassakov, "Don't push your luck anymore." Realizing he was facing several armed veterans and a half dozen DA vets as well as the ogryn, he wisely decided to let the subject drop. As he pulled away he saw the DA and Ogryn join the Wolves in heading over to the Sister's area to find Jonas.

"What do you mean he is taking after me?"

"He landed in the middle of the Sister's tent."

"Blast it, without Firenze here, we'll have to build another hot tub ourselves...."

As they arrived, they were met by a very stern looking Cannoness.

"Is that your warrior who interrupted our time of study and repentance?" she asked.

"Umm, yes, He's ours. Just where is he?"

"Still in there, as I said he interrupted and it was a repentant session.We even had a member of the Ecclesiarchy here today."

Suddenly Jonas came running from the tent, yelling "Get me out of here!" Literally leapoing into the back of the nearest rhino, he then slammed the hatch shut.

The Cannoness explained, "He really shouldn't have interrupted the Sister's Repentia in that meeting...."

Archived