Index Astartes: Doom Guard

The Normish

[img; background-image:url(http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/hq2.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: 8px 2px; padding: 12px 8px 12px 8px; border: 1px solid #DDD; margin-left: 0 auto; text-align: left; color: #fff; text-indent:50px; font-size:130%; width:50%;">http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/1268002165/gallery_50723_4325_1233.jpg[/img]

D
oom and death stalk the enemies of the Emperor from within the adamantium-clad ships of the Doom Guard. Protectors of the Faith, Messengers of Hate, and Sons of the Divine, they defend the Imperium and it’s Church from the threat posed by heretics, traitors, and xenos. Acting as one, they will strike, and they will purge. Ever onwards, ever leading, ever fighting! For the Emperor!

T
he Doom Guard were created as part of the 22nd Founding, in response to the various threats that remained following the Age of Apostasy. The taint of Goge Vandire's reign, as well as the collapse of Cardinal Bucharis's empire, left gaping wounds in the heart of Imperial unity, and none but the Space Marines could heal these wounds through the precise application of brute force.

The Chapter's original role under the tutelage of the Imperial Fists, from whom their geneseed was drawn, consisted mainly of hunting down the remaining worlds and fleets still resisting the creed of the High Lords. Following the pacification of these heretics, the Doom Guard took unto itself the task of ensuring that the Cult of the Divine Emperor, as proclaimed by the Ecclesiarchy, was maintained throughout the Imperium. The Chapter's Battle-Brothers have so far performed admirably, fighting with zeal and courage, and are earning their place at the Emperor's side.

Homeworld

D
ue to the nature of the Chapter's original purpose, it has never possessed a homeworld, as this would have been impractical. Instead, the Doom Guard voyage in a massive fleet, consisting of hundreds of mainly small vessels, which allows them to deploy more rapidly, as well as ensure the protection of all worlds in the Imperium, more so than they could if tied to a single Sector.

This has allowed the Doom Guard to benefit from a large recruitment pool. These recruits are drawn from the best and most zealous of the young men that they encounter on their various travels across the Galaxy. The newly inducted novices are then trained aboard a dedicated Battle-Barge, the "Emerald Blade".

The fleet itself consists mainly of small vessels, but also of several Battle-Barges and Strike Cruisers. The "Glory's Hold" is the personal Barge of the Chapter Master and of the First Company, while the other Companies each possess their own ships (though most of the time they are spread across the fleet for increased flexibility).

Often, the Doom Guard will find itself accompanied by smaller fleets of the Adeptus Astartes, or an occasional Imperial formation, perhaps the remains of a larger force, or the retinue of an Inquisitor, no doubt plotting away some holy task.

Combat Doctrine

L
argely adherent to the organizational, strategic, and tactical precepts of the Codex Astartes, the Doom Guard does have a few peculiarities. The Chapter specializes in ship-to-ship and urban combat, often finding that the worlds with the highest Ecclesiarchal presence are Hive-Worlds. The role of boarding assaults as a specialty is decreasing however, as the Doom Guard becomes less and less needed to purge traitorous fleets, and more inclined to destroy the enemy corrupting a planet's surface. This is largely due to a shift in the nature of Heresy, as more and more enemies of the Imperium appear from within.

Scouts, though not a larger part of the Chapter than the prescribed 10th Company, play an important role in combat, where Sniper support and tactical reconnaissance is paramount, especially in an urban setting, or when infiltrating an enemy vessel.

One would expect a lower percentage of tanks to be used on the field when compared to the average Chapter, but the commanders of the Doom Guard have found that in certain situations, a formation of heavy vehicles sweeping through the streets is the best means to affect a purge. This tactic was employed during the Purge of Skismos (340.M38), when the Captain of the Third Company, Hermann Stross, employed several dozen of the Chapter's tanks in order to suppress a city-wide riot that had overwhelmed the local Guard, following the arrival of the Space Marines for diplomatic reasons.

Organization

T
he Chapter follows standard Codex organization, with a small exception. Following the events of the Agordian Campaign (992.M37), the First Company is controlled not by a Captain, but by the Chapter Master himself. This ensures a more prominent role for the Chapter Master in combat, as well as a firmer grip on both the loyalty of the Chapter and on the command of troops.

Of interest is the way the Doom Guard is run. It is headed by the Chapter Council, which assembles whenever an important decision needs to be made (for example the appointment of a new Captain, or whether or not to intervene on behalf of a xenos army). The Council consists of:
  • The Chapter Master (currently Conrad Halden)
    gallery_50723_4325_2938.jpg
    Second Company Tactical Trooper
  • The Master of Sanctity (currently Bartimeo Faïd)
  • The Chief-Librarian (currently Broderick Strange)
  • The Master of the Forge (currently Gordon Scarbak)
  • The Head-Apothecary (currently Setis deMaude)
  • The Nine Company Captains

Each Company of the Chapter also possesses a Company Doomsayer, who acts as a member of the Command Squad. This Brother is tasked with choosing the battle-cry for each engagement, whether by making his own, or using a previously established one, such as a Company or Chapter battle-cry. Each battle-cry is then recorded in the Chapter's Librarium.

As far as the Chapter's heraldry comes into play, the first Chapter Master, Prasis Fatum, adopted a fairly intimidating scheme of black and red, with gold trim. The hands of each Brother were also to be painted gold in memory of the Imperial Fists and of Rogal Dorn, their Primarch-Progenitor. The Chapter badge depicts an erupting volcano, representative of the Emperor's fury against unbelievers and traitors. Apothecaries, Chaplains, Librarians and Techmarines bear fully white, black, blue, and red armor, respectively, while also possessing a black left shoulder with red trim. Sergeants are given golden helmets, while veterans have white stripes on theirs.

Beliefs

T
he historical origins of the Doom Guard have played a significant part in the development of its belief system. The end of the Age of Apostasy was marked with a renewal of faith in the Imperial Cult, as the new Ecclesiarch Thor perpetuated the Emperor's Word throughout the Galaxy. Of the many worlds experiencing this spiritual rejuvenation, were the planets where the Doom Guard drew its first recruits, and indeed, its first Chapter Master. This means that as the Chapter traveled, drawing more and more recruits from worlds dominated by the Ecclesiarchy, their Chaplains made the Imperial cult the Chapter's own.

This belief that the Emperor is indeed a god has meant that the members of the Chapter can easily understand the actions or opinions of the non-Astartes, mainly when dealing with the Adepta Sororitas or the Imperial Guard. This association has come in handy numerous times, but memorably in the Conquest of Ugganobath (541.M41), when Captain Varas Uller of the Second Company was able to negotiate a denominational dispute between an Inquisitorial representative and an Imperial Guard commander, allowing all three to win the battle.

However, faith in the Divine Emperor also means that the Space Marines, created from His genetic material, consider themselves to be partly gods as well. So, despite their understanding of lesser beings, they are easy to dismiss their thoughts and accomplishments, a situation which has led to mixed reactions from Imperial forces. Some say that their self-proclaimed divinity borders on the heretical, rumors which have been hotly denied by both Chapter Master Halden and the Reclusiam. This arrogance has reflected poorly on the Doom Guard on some occasions, where they were convinced they needed no assistance, yet accepting aid could have resulted in less material and human cost.

Geneseed

P
roud sons of Dorn, the Doom Guard draw their geneseed from the noble Imperial Fists. This means that they lack the Betcher's Gland and Sus-An Membrane, but so far, it has not really been a hindrance to them. As of 873.M41, the Apothecarion reported no mutations in the Chapter's geneseed.

Unlike many Imperial Fists successors, the Doom Guard does not make extensive use of the Pain Glove. While it is still employed on occasion, the teachings of Chapter Master Fatum concerning the reconciliation of sins with the Emperor led to its decline.

History

E
ver since its first uncertain steps alongside the Imperial Fists

Early History

Recent History

Celebrated Members

[b; background-image:url(http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/hq2.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: 8px 2px; padding: 12px 8px 12px 8px; border: 1px solid #DDD; margin-left: 0 auto; text-align: left; color: #fff; text-indent:50px; font-size:130%; width:50%;">Prasis Fatum[/b] – First Chapter Master of the Doom Guard. Wrote Principles of Warfare: Applying Guilliman, a book that emphasized adherence to the Codex Astartes while also encouraging pragmatic adaptation of its principles. He was also known to have encouraged faith and devotion as a means of maintaining purity – this led to the decline of the Pain Glove early on in the Chapter’s history, and eventually to the adoption of the Imperial Cult by Chapter Master Odeon.

Eric Odeon – Third Chapter Master of the Doom Guard, First Company Captain. Odeon is also known as the Great Reformer. It was his rule that saw the adoption of the Imperial Cult as the Chapter belief-system, a move endorsed by the Reclusiam and supported by the dying wishes of the First Chapter Master Prasis Fatum. Following the Agordian Campaign (992.M37), Chapter Master Odeon completed a massive structural reform of the Doom Guard, and in a single move, not only created the institution of the Chapter Council, but also combined his post with that of the recently deceased First Company Captain, Fillip Adrian. This not only allowed him to quell potential dissent within the Chapter by allowing participation of the various substructures in debate and policy-making, but it also allowed him to keep a more watchful eye on the actions of his subordinates. Odeon became the first Doom Guard to be interred in a Dreadnought sarcophagus after an Eldar Farseer shattered his body in a cowardly act of xeno sorcery. He has since become the least coherent and the most unpredictably dangerous of the Chapter’s Ancients, and must be kept in near-permanent state of hibernation.

Conrad Halden – Current and Tenth Chapter Master of the Doom Guard, First Company Captain. Halden has only been Chapter Master for about two centuries, taking command following the death of Aggadus Kaska at the Battle of Slodia (755.M41) So far, he has proven a strict and unforgiving leader, his extreme piety and condescendence rendering him unpopular amongst ordinary Imperials. Captain Uller usually acts as his counter in the Chapter Council. He currently is at the head of the Battleforce “Pursuing Lance”, which consists of approximately seven tenths of the First Company, as well as the Fourth Company and Eighth Assault Reserve Company.

Varas Uller – Second Company Captain, Lord of the Fleet. He rose to his current position after serving as Sixth Company Captain and slaying an Eldar Avatar using only a bolter and a krak grenade. Was present at the death of Aggadus Kaska, and bears a heavy shame for failing to save his Chapter Master and friend. Driven by shame, he questions the more disciplinarian Chapter Master Halden concerning decisions. Currently leads Battleforce “Emperor’s Shield”, consisting of the Second, Third, and Sixth Companies, as well as elements of the First and Tenth.

Aktari Teesan – Brother Codicier, Keeper of the Histories. A native of the Hive-World Biblognostis, Teesan was almost abducted by a Black Ship before he was discovered by Chief-Librarian Strange. The only Librarian of his rank in the Chapter, Teesan has had to requisition many Chapter serfs in order to maintain the numerous tomes and chronicles under his watch. A devoted chronicler of Imperial History, he is rarely seen on the battlefield, preferring to find refuge in the lessons of the past.

All right. Here I will post all my progress form the creation of my Index Astartes. First of all, I'll show you my draft for Origins and my partial Draft for Homeworld:

ORIGINS

The Birth of Doom

The Doom Guard is an Imperial Fists Successor Chapter, and a very young one at that. Created in the 41st Millennium at the 26th Founding, the Chapter is eager to prove itself worthy of the Emperor and of Dorn’s heritage.

The geneseed of the Doom Guard is of particular interest, as the Adeptus Mechanicus was given instructions to re-introduce the Betcher’s Gland into the Imperial Fist stock for this particular Chapter. It is unknown as of yet whether or not this will result in mutation, thus the Chapter is closely surveyed by the Holy Inquisition.

The Cataleptic Membrane is still absent from the genes of the Doom Guard, and as such, they find it difficult to participate in extended campaigns. This has also made conventional space travel long and dull, and as such, the Doom Guard requires a substantial number of Astropaths and Navigators to guide them in their many journeys through the Warp. The Chaotic influence of these journeys is yet to be determined.

The first members of the Doom Guard were chosen from the ranks of the Imperial Fists. Over the first twelve decades of the Doom Guard’s existence, these experienced warriors recruited, trained, and supervised the fledgling Space Marine Chapter until it was judged capable of surviving on its own, in 860.M41.

After the departure of the Imperial Fists, a Chapter Master was chosen, the 10 Companies were formed, and a Battle cry was designed. The Adeptus Mechanicus assigned the Doom Guard a battle-barge, the Glory’s Hold, as well as a dozen Thunderhawk gunships and a small fleet of Rhino APCs. It was then left to Chapter to develop their own arsenal as they saw fit.

To this day, the Chapter holds firm within the Ultima Segmentum, protecting the Emperor’s domain and His children from the corrupting powers of Chaos and the Xenos filth.

HOMEWORLD

The Home of Doom

The Doom Guard home world is named Septum Bohemia. Located within the Quaith System, in an unnamed Sector of the Ultima Segmentum, Septum Bohemia shares its little quadrant of the Galaxy with three other planets.

The first is a dead world, reduced to ash and devoid of atmosphere for many a millennium. Its name is Slodia Primeus.

The second planet is a Forge-World, domain of the Adeptus Mechanicus, named Septum Moravia. Polluted and tightly controlled, it is also the source for much of the Chapter’s weaponry.

The final planet is a gas giant named Roldare. Roldare has twelve moons, most of which have been extensively exploited for mining resources, but the twelfth moon is habitable. Covered in deserts and peppered with blood-red seas, this moon, named Nova Slodia, is where the Chapter trains its recruits and Initiates.

Septum Bohemia is a beautiful and civilized world, with most major cities located on the Western Hemisphere. The capital is Prahae, a massive but aesthetically pleasing city, home to the Planetary Governor and his Planetary Council.

That is what I have so far. Sorry for the wall of text.

I am also working on a time line and list of notable characters. Chapter Organization is posing some problems, I can't decide just how Codex adherent the Doom Guard is. I'll later make a post about Squad Markings and the such.

Comments and Criticism please.

I thin kyou mean the Sus-an membrane - meaing they cannot go into self-induced hibernation. They would still be able to use stasis tech to sleep through long journeys (though I believe that mariens usually use this time to do more training - specific to the expected foe and terrain situations they may find). Why would the Ad Mech be told to reintroduce 1 missing zygote and not the other? Just curious...

I thin kyou mean the Sus-an membrane - meaing they cannot go into self-induced hibernation. They would still be able to use stasis tech to sleep through long journeys (though I believe that mariens usually use this time to do more training - specific to the expected foe and terrain situations they may find). Why would the Ad Mech be told to reintroduce 1 missing zygote and not the other? Just curious...

ah, yes I meant the Sus-an membrane. Sorry. I think that they'll prefer training, but say they are deployed to a far location, warp-travel would be useful. As for the Betcher's gland, I don't know why they would re-introduce it. Perhaps that should be one of the mysteries fo the chapter (I put it in because I like the idea of spitting acid, but also Imperial Fists. Eh)

It looks rather professional, although I would have used the B&C's Space Marine Painter, which would make it look about twice as professional, what with it having all those cool add-ons like Assault/Tac symbols and extra doodads.

Looking good nonetheless. =)

Thanks. The squads aren't indicated in that manner though. The squads are indicated by the color of the knee pad. Company and Chapter insignia go on the shoulder pads.

Alright, I'm thinking of switching my Chapter to become Fleet Based. I can;t seem to properly write a Homeworld section. Instead, I will write about their fleet, their general direction of travel, and how they pick their fights.

If I may, I don't think lacking the ability to hibernate is a huge issue: the Space Marines are highly disciplined, and would likely use the time training and meditating. The Imperial Guard do it all of the time. The Space Marines don't make the kind of jumps described in the Heresy books: they were a resource delivered to make war during the Great Crusade, now there's lots of Space Marine chapters which react to events close to them, for the most part.

If I may, I don't think lacking the ability to hibernate is a huge issue: the Space Marines are highly disciplined, and would likely use the time training and meditating. The Imperial Guard do it all of the time. The Space Marines don't make the kind of jumps described in the Heresy books: they were a resource delivered to make war during the Great Crusade, now there's lots of Space Marine chapters which react to events close to them, for the most part.

Alright, I'll adjust accordingly (not a lot of updates recently, as I am overloaded with other work).

Okay, I was thinking about changing it from a home world based chapter toa fleet-based one. Normal Company structure, but they move from planet to planet. I was also thinking that they should have a history of close-attachment with the Imperial Guard. Maybe a planet was destroyed, and the only surviving regiment of IG decided to accompany the chapter, recruiting as they went along, and guarding the planets conquered by the Chapter.

hmmm...yeah that's a good decision to put them down as a fleet-based chapter if you want them to be true sons of dorn!

will they have the same favoured tactics or not? and are you thinking of creating any special characters?

to be very honest, when i look at your chapter colours, i don't really like them...maybe once you've painted a SM with the chapter colours you could post a pic here so that i could get a better look?

you've got some good fluff there :)

good luck with the rest!

BB Ludovic

Alright, I've been working on the ORIGINS section, tell me what you think:

The Doom Guard, an Imperial Fists successor Chapter, was created at the 26th Founding, that is, in approximately 748.M41. Its origins lie in the purging of a system in the Ultima Segmentum by a Black Templar Crusade. The system had for centuries been under the control of insidious Orks, and so after the Black Templars swept the area clean with fire and zeal, it was decided that a further deterrent for a future Ork invasion was needed, as the numerous Imperial Guard regiments posted in the sector seemed to have little effect on the audacity of the Ork hordes. Thusly was it decided that the best course for action would be to establish a new Chapter of the Adeptus Astartes, the Space Marines/

With permission from the Adeptus Terra, and with the knowledge of the Techpriests of Mars, the Imperial Fists began searching for potential geneseed matches, in order to lay the foundations for the new Chapter. The first members of the Doom Guard were chosen from the ranks of the Imperial Fists, and over the first twelve decades of the Doom Guard’s existence, these experienced warriors recruited, trained, and supervised the fledgling Space Marine Chapter until it was judged capable of surviving on its own, in 860.M41.

After the departure of the Imperial Fists, a Chapter Master was chosen, the 10 Companies were formed, and a Battle cry was designed. The Adeptus Mechanicus assigned to the Doom Guard a battle-barge, the Glory’s Hold, as well as a dozen Thunderhawk gunships and a small fleet of Rhino APCs. It was then left to Chapter to develop their own arsenal as they saw fit.

Today, the Chapter is already earning its place amongst the Emperor’s Finest. Many battles have they fought, many beasts have they slain, and many legacies have they left. The Doom Guard’s ongoing Crusade through Ultima Segmentum will see them at the right hand of the Emperor, on the Day of Judgment.

I am also drawing up a list of characters and notable battles. I may also mention their close attachment to a specific Imperial Guard regiment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hopefully my internet is now fixed for good.

Alright, here is my new, updated and hopefully definitive color scheme.

gallery_50723_4325_1586.jpggallery_50723_4325_14937.jpggallery_50723_4325_31514.jpggallery_50723_4325_12758.jpg

From left to right, up and down: Second Company Tactical Trooper, Second Company Tactical Sergeant, First Company Veteran Trooper, First Company Veteran Sergeant.

Trooper schemes are all the same, with knee pad variations for different companies, and squad insignia differences.

Sergeants follow the same rules, but have golden helmets.

All veterans, troopers or sergeants, have white vertical stripes on their helmets.

Terminators, as they are veterans, by default have a black helmet and white stripe, while the sergeant has a gold helmet and white stripe.

Captains have their personal heraldry instead of a squad insignia, and all have white helmets.

Chapter Master can be decked out however he pleases (plus he's a Dreadnought, so not a lot of options there).

Chaplains, Librarians, Apthecaries, and Techmarines all wear their distinctive colors (black, blue, white, and red respectively), with their left shoulder pads being black with red trimmings, along with the Chapter badge.

I don't think I've left anything out. If I have, please alert me to it.

Comments and criticism welcome!

P.S. I'll get round to working more on their fluff as soon as possible.

I think you may be confusing warp travel and sub-light travel. All occupants onboard a ship with a Geller Field can operate normally during warp transit, they typically experience discomfort on the jump to/from real space but are otherwise unaffected. Some fluff dictates that the viewing ports etc are covered by blast shields to prevent the passengers and crew seeing the raw warp and so being turned inside out or something similarly nasty, in other fluff such as Gaunt's ghosts novels certain ships have observation decks which allow occupants to view the warp - however special ward are in place to stave off the worst affects.

It may still take weeks to arrive at your destination but it sure beats several centuries at sub-light speeds - as far as I'm aware no ships are truly capable of FTL travel in 40k, they merely hop into the warp. I'm not a BFGothic player so I'm not sure but I surmise Necron's could be an exception, despite this they seem to prefer portal/teleportation tech anyway.

So in short, you're marines don't need to be logistically crippled by a lack of sub-ans membrane, hope that helps :blink: Otherwise I'm liking the idea so far, will the mini's use cut down heads of xenos etc or will you freehand the 16 (17?) special helms?

I think you may be confusing warp travel and sub-light travel. All occupants onboard a ship with a Geller Field can operate normally during warp transit, they typically experience discomfort on the jump to/from real space but are otherwise unaffected. Some fluff dictates that the viewing ports etc are covered by blast shields to prevent the passengers and crew seeing the raw warp and so being turned inside out or something similarly nasty, in other fluff such as Gaunt's ghosts novels certain ships have observation decks which allow occupants to view the warp - however special ward are in place to stave off the worst affects.

It may still take weeks to arrive at your destination but it sure beats several centuries at sub-light speeds - as far as I'm aware no ships are truly capable of FTL travel in 40k, they merely hop into the warp. I'm not a BFGothic player so I'm not sure but I surmise Necron's could be an exception, despite this they seem to prefer portal/teleportation tech anyway.

So in short, you're marines don't need to be logistically crippled by a lack of sub-ans membrane, hope that helps :) Otherwise I'm liking the idea so far, will the mini's use cut down heads of xenos etc or will you freehand the 16 (17?) special helms?

Otherwise I'm liking the idea so far, will the mini's use cut down heads of xenos etc or will you freehand the 16 (17?) special helms?

I'm not sure what you mean here. Care to explain?

I don't get that either...liking the colour scheme though The Normish ;) *looks better now than before.

BBL

• 1 month later...
Like the scheme, can't wait to see them painted! on thus sus-an membrane note during long space travel they would still be able to rest and utilize the 'half-brain' sleep technique due to the fact that that the IF geneseed still has an intact catalepsean node. the only purpose of the sus-an is to secrete a waxy substance that effectively seals the marine against hard vacuum, should he get ejected into space for some reason. other than that keep up the good work and make Dorn proud!

• 2 weeks later...

Index Astartes: Doom Guard

gallery_50723_4325_1233.jpg

The Doom Guard is one of the Imperium’s youngest Space Marine Chapters. They are eager to earn their place at the Emperor’s side, and despite their short and tumultuous history, they have proven themselves worthy of the title of the Emperor’s Finest. Their fleet-based tactics are renowned throughout the Ultima Segmentum, where they scour hundreds of worlds, claiming them in the name of Mankind and the Golden Throne.

ORIGINS

Issued from the 26th Founding (748.M41), the Doom Guard were created as a result of an augmentation of Ork activity in the Initialis Sector of the Ultima Segmentum. The numerous regiments of Imperial Guardsmen stationed in the area seemed unable to discourage the audacity of the Greenskins. Following a long and bloody purge of a planet named Protos, the Black Templar Crusade “Apprehension of Faith” requested permission from the Adeptus Terra to found a new Chapter specially adapted to conquer and defend worlds, so that the Imperium could grow and protect itself without the need of constant shielding by the Space Marines. They proposed to use the gene seed of the ancient and glorious Imperial Fists, stoic and resolute in defense; however, this new Chapter was to be trained by the legendary Black Templars themselves, in order to encourage an aggressive fleet-based behavior.

After permission was obtained from the High Lords, the precious gene-seed was transferred and implemented on the first of many recruits by the Adeptus Mechanicus. Following this, a select number of Black Templars joined the new Chapter in order to supervise and train the new Space Marines, turning them from a fledgling Chapter into a force worthy of Rogal Dorn himself.

HISTORY

Since the Doom Guard does not have a home planet, it has always found recruitment difficult, especially in its early stages. The development of the ten battle-companies was a long and arduous process, but ultimately the numbers of the new Chapter were sufficient to allow the Black Templar mentors to rejoin their own Crusade.

Before leaving, however, they appointed a Chapter Master from among the ranks of the Doom Guard. His name was Aggadus Kaska, cool-tempered and pragmatic. It was he who chose the name Doom Guard and the Chapter Colors. He appointed the ten Captains, most notable of which was Ulysses Haart, his second, who was made First Company Captain.

The Doom Guard began their illustrious career near the center of the Galaxy, and worked their way outwards from there. Several minor battles such as the Battle of Redwaalk and the Hunt for Dorros Daemonblood earned the Chapter its laurels, as well as respect from other Chapters and Imperial forces. The Doom Guard left lasting legacies on each conquered planet, as part of their doctrine mandates superior defensive complexes on each taken world.

Rare were the defeats of the Doom Guard, but one is remembered above all others. The infamous Battle of Slodia. This battle was a defining moment of the Chapter’s recent history, and must therefore be described with detail (for a narrative account of the battle, see “Heart of Darkness” – in progress – located at: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=194828).

HOME WORLD

The Doom Guard does not have a home world, instead preferring to be a fleet-based Chapter. This stands with the general policy of many Imperial Fists successor Chapters, who believe that the Space Marines were created to conquer new worlds, not to stand around waiting for an attack. The Doom Guard fleet contains hundreds of ships, of a variety of sizes and classes. The flagship “Glory’s Hold” is also the Chapter Master’s personal barge, as well as that of the First Company. Other companies tend to be spread about the remaining ships in an even fashion.

BELIEFS

The Doom Guard, unlike many Chapters, actually believes that the Emperor is a God. As such, their Chaplains adhere to the Imperial Cult faithfully, and have found it easier to communicate with and relate to other Imperial Forces. However, as a result of this, they also believe that they are partly Gods themselves, seeing as they are given the gene-seed of the Emperor’s son Rogal Dorn. They aptly refer to themselves as Angels of Death, the holy messengers called upon by the God-Emperor to defend Mankind. Other Chapters and some Imperial organizations (notably the Inquisition) have called the Doom Guard vain and haughty.

GENE-SEED

The Doom Guard uses the gene-seed of Rogal Dorn, and as such, lacks the Betcher’s gland and the Sus-an Membrane implants, though this is not really a hindrance to the Chapter. No mutations have so far manifested themselves in the Doom Guard’s history.

COMBAT DOCTRINE

The Doom Guard combat doctrine is fairly standard, though they tend to employ tanks in large formations (though the Chapter is not necessarily vehicle-heavy). Scouts play a larger role than expected, and are often put in charge of holding primary defense lines.

The Doom Guard expects its campaigns and battles to be swift and decisive. They also rely heavily on the support of nearby Imperial forces, especially following the vents of the Battle of Slodia. Otherwise, they prefer to adopt defensive firebases and allow strike teams to take down the enemy from their flanks or from within.

ORGANIZATION

The Doom Guard is divided into ten companies, largely following the standard Codex Astartes force organization. A few minor differences are present however. Firstly, the Chapter Master is also First Company Captain, following the events at the Battle of Slodia. Secondly, each Company Command Squad contains a Company Doomsayer (see Battle Cry).

One major break with the Codex Astartes is the Doom Guard’s use of other Imperial forces, notavbly the 63rd Slodia Regiment of Imperial Guard. The regiment accompanies the Chapter wherever it goes, making use of the Chapter’s fleet, and is ready to occupy the worlds that the Chapter conquers, as part of the Chapter’s policy of conquest and defense.

Of interest is the way the Chapter is run. The Chapter Master presides over the Chapter Council, a council in charge of making the decisions that will affect the Chapter the most, as well as appointing Marines to senior positions. It consists of:

• The Chapter Master (currently Conrad Halden).

• The ten Company Captains.

• The Reclusiarch (currently Bartimeo Faïd).

• Senior Chaplains.

• The Head-Apothecary (currently Setis deMaude).

• The Chief-Librarian (currently Broderick Strange).

• Senior Librarians.

• The Master of the Forge (currently Gordon Scarback).

• Senior Techmarines.

Shown, from left to right, 2nd Company Trooper, 2nd Company Sergeant.

sm.php?b62c=@haLvy_hIAEG.i8khi____@@@_@hyvFn@@..@@@@@@@@@@@._._@@@..@@@..hyvFn@@@@@@@@@@____hyvFniakk7&sm.php?b62c=@haLvy_i8khi.hIAEG....___._hyvFn@@__@@@@@@@@@@@_._.@@@__@@@__hyvFn@@@@___@@@....hyvFniakk7&

Chapter Colors consist of a black body recalling the Black Templar colors, red shoulders indicating the Emperor’s sacrifice for the salvation of man, golden hands to remind them of their paragons the Imperial Fists, and gold trimmings so that the flash of their bolters would be reflected into the eyes of the enemy. The Chapter Badge depicts a volcano erupting, signifying the fury of the Emperor as well as the devastating force of the orbital strikes which the Doom Guard favors.

Trooper schemes are all the same, with knee pad variations for different companies, and squad insignia differences. Sergeants follow the same rules, but have golden helmets. All veterans, troopers or sergeants, have white vertical stripes on their helmets. Terminators, as they are veterans, by default have a black helmet and white stripe, while the sergeant has a gold helmet and white stripe. Captains have their personal heraldry instead of a squad insignia, and all have white helmets. The Chapter Master can choose to use any armor and any type, but usually wears Artificer or Terminator armor. Chaplains, Librarians, Apothecaries, and Techmarines all wear their distinctive colors (black, blue, white, and red respectively) all over their armor, with their left shoulder pads being black with red trimmings, along with the Chapter badge.

BATTLE CRY

The Chapter’s Battle Cry is “For Dorn and the Emperor! Doooom!”

Each Company has a designated Battle Cry, usually associated with its past exploits or function. A unique feature of the Chapter is that each Company has a Doomsayer, the Marine in charge of deciding upon the Battle Cry to be uttered at each battle. The Doomsayer may choose between any prepared Battle Cries, or may construct one of his own that suits the particular circumstance.

Chaplains all use the Battle Cry “Our faith is your doom!”

THE 63RD SLODIAN

The 63rd Slodian is an Imperial Guard regiment that has held a significant place in the Chapter’s hierarchy since the Battle of Slodia.

So here we have the majority of my Index Astartes. I'm still finishing up the HISTORY and THE 63RD SLODIAN sections. I have a bit more work to do on the actual background of it, though I have a good idea.

Archived