[EPIC] The Apocrypha of Skaros!

Octavulg

Between mistakes I didn't notice and better ways to do things, I've actually almost got enough material for another update. It'll likely come out around New Years, unless people would greatly prefer it sooner.

I dunno I just think Dreads should be made cheaper as at present they just don't fit into the list at all as Space Marines get those free Rhinos but will struggle to use them if the Dread is also included in the detachment.

Another thing I would like to see is the option to add pairs of Assault and Devastator units at a time to Assault and Devastator detachments, whilst having the option to double the size of Tactical detachments. The Tactical element is obvious as it enables us to have a Company's full 6 Tacticals together, whilst the other 2 detachments are just so small against the other race's detachments it seems silly a commander wouldn't combine his force of several Companies together into detachments that perform their appropriate roles.

I know we can simulate this with a commander upgrade to get multiple assaults, but in a game of epic combat and dozens of special units and rules, I think it is a little fiddily to have such a thing.

Just a personal preference though, so feel free to ignore it if you must! :)

I dunno I just think Dreads should be made cheaper as at present they just don't fit into the list at all as Space Marines get those free Rhinos but will struggle to use them if the Dread is also included in the detachment.

I know. The dedicated Dread formation is supposed to help with that, and they can be added to the Thunderfire formation as well, so they're at least more practical than in the usual SM list. Garrisoned Thunderfires with Dread support seems not impractical.

The problem is more one of "these don't fit anywhere" than one of "these are too expensive". It's not that the Dread isn't worth its points (though I admit it may not be - no one uses them enough to know :D), but that the Dread doesn't fit in the list so no one will use it regardless of its costs because other choices always fit better. It needs to fit the list better, not cost less, but the problem is that at the moment it simply doesn't. The Dread formation and the option to add it to Thunderfires (and Vindicators, if I remember to add the option) will hopefully result in it being taken more, which will make it possible to determine if it's fairly priced.

Another thing I would like to see is the option to add pairs of Assault and Devastator units at a time to Assault and Devastator detachments, whilst having the option to double the size of Tactical detachments. The Tactical element is obvious as it enables us to have a Company's full 6 Tacticals together, whilst the other 2 detachments are just so small against the other race's detachments it seems silly a commander wouldn't combine his force of several Companies together into detachments that perform their appropriate roles.

Problem is that you end up with nigh-unbreakable formations thanks to ATSKNF (Epic version). 12 Tactical units is a break point of 24 Blast Markers (48 with Rhinos) - which can be hard to reach. Not impossible, but difficult.

Besides, the Demi-Company option lets you turn an entire company into two formations - formations which combine various units to work together synergistically! Now that's being all Space Mariney!

Large, mono-purpose formations don't feel entirely Space Marine to me - multi-purpose ones, however, seem to better reflect the way the Space Marine forces are all supposed to work together etc, etc, etc.

If it helps, look at it as the Commander not wanting to risk any lack of coordination by combining forces who are not wholly familiar with each other. ;)

I know we can simulate this with a commander upgrade to get multiple assaults, but in a game of epic combat and dozens of special units and rules, I think it is a little fiddily to have such a thing.

Ah, but that just represents the coordination between Space Marine units on yet another level! :P

Just a personal preference though, so feel free to ignore it if you must! msn-wink.gif

On the one level, I'd kinda like to have multiple Battle Companies running around in massed formations. OTOH, big massive single-purpose formations always feel a little unrealistic for Space Marines (says the man on the form about power-armored superhumans), there's balance issues, and the standard list size of 3000 points allows no more than two Battle Companies comfortably. In short, if you go with the large, big formations, you end up with possible balance issues and not enough activations to fight well. A bit of a lose-lose.

Version 0.2 is out.

Mediafire Link to PDF

Mediafire link to DOC

Links have been updated in first post.

Again, any feedback is more than welcome.

0.1->0.2 Changelist:

Changelist:

Scouts cost added

Land Speeder cost increased

Land Speeder Tempest formation size increased, cost changed

Thunderfire formations may now take Dreadnoughts

Damocles cost reduced. Abilities changed.

Demi-Company cost increased

Thunderfire cost reduced

Revised Damocles ability to providing leader to any one formation on the tabletop per turn

Removed non-critical recommendations

Reduced Landspeeder Tornado cost

Gave all units except Dreadnought the Commander option

Devastator cost decreased

Thudd Gun cost reduced

Added special rules

Added reference list

Improved Comms is now its own ability.

• 3 months later...

Version 0.3 is out.

Mediafire Link to PDF

Mediafire link to DOC

Changes since the last version:

Changelist:

-Thunderfire option removed from Tacticals and Devastators. I'm trying to keep the SM artillery options fairly low-mobility. There are Whirlwinds for that.

-Razorback option added to Assault Marines. It seems like it'll make them more popular, and they can take it if they're Mechanized

-Thunderfire formation changed to Fire Support formation. Fire Support option added.

-Commander option added to Dreadnought formation.

-Assault option merged into Demi-Company, which now works slightly differently accordingly

-Fire Support option replaces Thunderfire and Thudd Gun options. Represents the ridiculous variety of artillery pieces Space Marines have had access to over the years, and allows for old, new, or both at once.

-Predator and Vindicator options combined into Vehicular support, which should limit formation sizes somewhat and shortens the list a little. Does allow for a few unusual combinations, but such is life.

-Statistics on Thudd Gun brought more into line with other artillery pieces, since they're now assumed to have fewer men attached. Artillery pieces are slightly tougher than standard, because valiant Space Marines are using them.

Additionally, some costs were changed. Dreadnoughts went up by 100 points for the formation, Vindicators went down by 25, and Thunderfires went up by 50 (which may have been a bit too much). Some option costs changed as well, though not by too much.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived