"Life size chainsword" tutorial

Pizzasemmel

Allright, there were some requests in my WIP thread so i felt forced to do a small tutorial (allthough i don't think i am very good at this)

First of all, excuse any linguistic mistakes you will find, englisch is still not my first language.

Lets start with a little material list (everything in this thread is going to be estimated since i don't plan and just do it - so this is kind of backwards engineering)

- motivation (every project needs that)

- a handle (i used one from a hammer drill (the handle in the front))

- a threaded rod that will fit in the handle's thread (oh yeah, the handle needs a thread :D)

- a few hex nuts

- some MDF (medium density fiberboard) 16mm thick - although you can bassicaly use any wood you want

- plastic card

- green stuff, magic sculpt (i use that one) or any modelling clay you prefer

For illustrative purposes i made some professional hand drawings, the exact measurements can be taken from a pic like the following (you have to pick your own scale)

gallery_49861_4396_169457.jpg

Here is quick overview how the parts are going too look and after that, an explosion drawing

gallery_49861_4396_95999.jpg

gallery_49861_4396_102052.jpg

Preparations

1.decide how big of an chainsword you want to build ( i know the answer is "HUUUUUUGE", but you should consider wheight )

2. do the math and make a plan with all the dimensions

3.cut out all the parts needed (except the top plate maybe, i recommend you first put everything together and meassure how big it really has to be...you can skip that part if you are super duber sure about what you do^^)

3.5 i just noticed i forgot to include the vent in my plans...so here is special little tutorial :D

gallery_49861_4396_22918.jpg

4. use a sander ( i highly advise the use of a orbial sander) to bring the teeth into shape (this gets really tricky if done after assembly)

5. assemble as shown below- well, you can't do too much wrong when you took a look at the explosion drawing^^

6. drill a hole in the markes position (diameter should be equal to the diameter of your threaded rod) ATTENTION: don't drill to deep or you will end up in the blade part and everything will burst (this includes you...into tears)

looking from behind it should look like this

gallery_49861_4396_77276.jpg

7. meassure the lenght of you rod (this depends on the lenght of your handle and the depth of your hole) ATTENTION: there should still be 1cm left behind your handle to mount the pommel upon

8. fix the handle with the nuts and glue the whole thing into your hole

by now it could look like this

gallery_49861_4187_358474.jpg

9. be creative about what you want to use as a pommel (keep in mind that it can easily be attached by glueing a nut into whatever you want to use as a pommel^^)

This is what i did^^

gallery_49861_4187_124505.jpg

10. use green stuff / MS to smoothen the transition between handle and engine block and also to sculpt the rivots

gallery_49861_4396_86207.jpggallery_49861_4396_144499.jpg

11. use your experience to find the right stuff to seal the MDF (furniture finish and hammer paint in my case) and start with the paintjob

gallery_49861_4187_115706.jpg

12. done

13. decide your not done yet and want a display

gallery_49861_4187_58271.jpg

14. come back to this thread to find out that there are the plans for that too

"Image will follow soon"

Random pieces of information:

-the guide rolls of the chain are plastic pearls (the ones you made chains out of as a child...) - i was lucky enough to find flat, round pearls with a dimple(??)

-colours i used till now are: chaos black, boltmetal, mithil silver, brazen brass, shining gold, foundation red, blood red, and very important the valejo flesh wash for all thr wheathering

-the handguard (yes it is a guard not a throttle :P) is a evergreen plastic tube covered in magic sculpt

-the sword weighs about 1.7 kg

-i used a warhammer 40k scale sword as reference for all the detail work

-YES it is as awesome to hold as i looks like^^

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask them here or PM me if you are too shy to ask in public :P

C&C welcome, especially on the way the tutorial is done - this was my first one so i need feedback how to improve :)

-Pizzasemmel

Yay! Tutorial!

Looks good - easy enough to understand and your English is pretty darn good. I think I might have to give this a go when I've got a weekend or two free!

• 2 weeks later...

Theoreticaly, you could make a longer one and a double-edged one, no?

EDIT: Oh, and yes, that is AMAZING! I really want to do that, that's why I asked, because I want to make a Frost Blade. Seriously man, it's awesome.

Did you use wood? If so, what type? And how thick? Because my DT course at school allows us to make something like this for our final evaluation, and if I could do a really detailed one of these, I could get a high mark, and lot's of enjoyment at the same time!

Theoreticaly, you could make a longer one and a double-edged one, no?

You will se i answered your question in the other thread :P

Did you use wood? If so, what type? And how thick?

- some MDF (medium density fiberboard) 16mm thick - although you can bassicaly use any wood you want

Because my DT course at school allows us to make something like this for our final evaluation, and if I could do a really detailed one of these, I could get a high mark, and lot's of enjoyment at the same time!

you are such a lucky bastard to be able to something like that at school and get marks for it *sigh*

It can be anything other than a weapon, and I'll just pass this over as a personal wood-saw. But, I'll have to tweek your designs so I can get away with it being 'mine' :).

• 7 months later...

So, I'm making one of these to go with my suit, and I had to blow up your picture about 550% to fit it how I wanted. Here's a picture:

http://entice789.deviantart.com/#/d2x70pd

I did trim down on the weight by cutting out more than just the holes you showed, and it still ended up being around 10-15 Lbs (my bathroom scale sucks :P )

Anyways, thanks for the guide :blink:

Archived