Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[LI01] Alternate Heresy Painter Images - COMPLETED

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
87 replies to this topic

Aurelius Rex

Aurelius Rex

++ GESTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,726 posts
+++Edit: To make it easier to keep straight what stage the painter images are at, and what things still need to be done I have altered this first post as a masterpost.

The Dornian Heresy project is going to be used as the basis for the first issue of the Legio Imprint, which is intended to be published in April. To make the alternate IA articles look even sharper, Sigismund Himself (Matt) has been working on painter images, and has been joined by MadScuzzy (Dom) and Ferrus Manus (another Matt. :P )

Below is the list of what we need, what we have and where we are with things. And hopefully who is doing what. +++

1) World Eaters by Sigismund Himself - Post 66. COMPLETE.

Posted Image

2) Emperor's Children by Sigismund Himself - Post 66. COMPLETE.

Posted Image
Notes: Emperor's Children marine from the 16th Grand Company wearing mark 4 power armour.

3) Raven Guard by Sigismund Himself - Post 9. COMPLETE.

Posted Image

4) Word Bearers by Sigismund Himself - Post 66. COMPLETE.

Posted Image
Note: The black votive cloth covering his right pauldron denotes his squad's assignment to Devastator duties for the coming battle.

5) Ultramarines by Madscuzzy. COMPLETE.

Posted Image
Note: Sergeant of the second company, Orpheus Chapter.

6) White Scars by madscuzzy COMPLETE.

Posted Image

7) Space Wolves by Sigismund Himself - Post 14. COMPLETE

Posted Image

8) Thousand Sons by Ferrus Manus - Post 74. COMPLETE.

Posted Image
Note: Thousand Sons sergeant with psychic hood and force staff.

9) Blood Angels by Madscuzzy and Sigismund Himself - COMPLETE

Posted Image

Edited by Aurelius Rex, 06 April 2010 - 06:36 PM.

Posted Image

Alternate Heresy Index Astartes articles for the World Eaters, Emperor's Children, Raven Guard, Word Bearers,
Ultramarines, White Scars, Space Wolves, Thousand Sons and Blood Angels available as a pdf
Click here for the Legio Imprint download thread
Iron Warriors +++ Iron Hands +++ Alpha Legion +++ Dark Angels

Index Astartes: Scions of Dorn

Sigismund Himself

Sigismund Himself

++SCRIBERE NOVELLUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,415 posts

How much leeway / technical wizardry do you have, Matt, such as putting a chain-axe on a loyalist WE, or morphing the legion symbols onto the shoulderpads? Forgive me if I throw out completely unrealistic ideas here - feel free to rein me in when I go overboard! :)

I can do putting Legion Symbols onto shoulder pads, add blood spatter and script. Basically, I'm alright with manipulating and adding to the painter images, but I don't think I can create things like chain axes in Photoshop. I can have a go but I don't think they will look very good.

1) World Eaters
They have not changed their armour from the Pre-Heresy white and blue, but they do use chain-axes.

This painter image comes courtesy of Moonsword. It doesn't have the WE legion symbol (not Khorne) on the shoulderpad, and ideally they should have a chain-axe rather than a bolter.
Posted Image

I'll redo it with a darker blue and add the legion symbol. I'll have a look at doing a chainaxe as well but I'll leave that till last. Are there any markings you would consider distinctive to the legion?

2) Emperor's Children
Their defining character, beyond their arrogance, is that they cling to pre-Heresy marks of armour, and remain the only legion to use the Aquila iconography.

This painter image again comes courtesy of Moonsword. It ticks most of the boxes, but if it can be improved, then please do.
Posted Image

I can try to make a clearer image. Anybody got an image of the Pre-Heresy Legion symbol?

3) Raven Guard
This could be tricky, as the post-Heresy Raven Guard are completely chaotic, with things that I would imagine are not anywhere on the painter. Thoughts?

Could do a blacked out scheme silhouette with the words 'Classified' pasted across it. Of course, that silhouette would not match your average marine's...

4) Word Bearers
They would keep the Pre-Heresy metal / grey armour, which is engraved with Lorgar's holy words. Thoughts?

Do you have an image of the scheme somewhere John? This is pretty much the only scheme I can't recall from memory. I think I can add script to the armour as well.

5) Ultramarines
Quite similar to the HH version, but without the drag of superstition that holds back the Imperium they have higher tech - perhaps characteristic elements from the Tau? - and no need of purity seals. The Ultra 'U' would dominate, but could be winged.

What was the Shoulderpad trim during the Heresy? I'll have to think about how to incorporate some Tau stuff in, not sure how to do it subtly.

6) White Scars
I would defer to Phil on this one - would they stick with white or have Slaaneshi pastel elements incorporated into the colourscheme. I would also guess that they would be highly ornamented, given their aquisitive nature and love of bling.

Not sure how well I can add on the bling, as it were, but I'll see what I can do.

7) Space Wolves
They take the armour from defeated opponents both to replace battle damage and as trophies, so the occasional piece in a distinctive Ultramarine or Emperor's Children colour would be characterful - Think 13th company. They wear neck torcs to ward off the 'evils of sorcery', which they anoint in the blood of their enemies, so the grey chest armour is eternally splattered in dried blood. Spikes and horns seem to just magically appear as soon as a legion falls to chaos but perhaps not the Khorney bunny ears, which might be a step too far.

If I can find a good image of a torc, I'll see if I can add it in. Should be easy otherwise.

8) Thousand Sons
They keep the pre-Heresy red armour, with what I always think of as an Egyptian theme. See the excellent artwork that has been done for the legion in the artwork thread. Note that this will probably be really difficult to do on the painter!

Don't know how much I can do for these guys in terms of Egyptian styling.

9) Blood Angels
Corroded, mottled from red to rusted brown, yellow or even green in patches or streaks. Pre-Heresy they would probably love jump packs, but the post-heresy Blight-drone jump packs would probably be beyond the painter's abilities. Regarding the legion symbol, pre-Heresy it could be three blood drops, which morph post-Heresy into a stylised version of Nurgle's three circle chaos symbol?

Should be all good to do, barring blight drone jump packs.

Brother Argos

Brother Argos

++ IGNUS GLADIUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 3,549 posts
If anyone does do any image work ... do it at twice the normal size (800 x 1000) .... and keep a copy in greyscale shading ... if its any good I can then reuse it later for the painter :)
Brother Argos

Brother Argos stepped forward into the reflected light of the schematic. The Techmarine went unhooded. The left portion of his face was framed with a steel plate, the snarling image of a Salamander seared into it as an honour marking. Burn scars from the Brander-Priests wreathed his skin in whorls and bands. A Bionic eye gleamed coldly in contrast to the burning red of his own.

When he spoke, his voice was deep and metallic.

- Heroes of the Space Marines - Fires of War : Pg 190

Iron Hands - A new beginning

Ferrata

Ferrata

++ PUNIO TRUCIDO ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 9,909 posts
The comments on the White Scars are close enough. I presumed the White Scars themselves would have kept the white colour scheme as normal, though a few more out-there brotherhoods would have picked up the pastel colours of Slaanesh.

Sigismund Himself

Sigismund Himself

++SCRIBERE NOVELLUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,415 posts
An rough mess around with what I can do for the Raven Guard. Achieved by mixing the Ork Painter with the Space Marine Painter.
Posted Image

Mock up of World Eaters as well, just trying to find the right blue. Thoughts John?
Posted Image

Edited by Sigismund Himself, 12 January 2010 - 08:36 AM.

Ferrus Manus

Ferrus Manus

+LEXICANUM+

• + LEXICANIUM +
  • 2,691 posts
I like the Raven Guard image, good work Sig!

My WIP Space Marine Chapter

Aurelius Rex

Aurelius Rex

++ GESTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,726 posts
Hehe, agreed about the Raven Guard looking good. Hulking and clearly not a proper Astartes any more! If you look hard you can just make out the wrist claws ready to snickt out. Slap a 'classified' across it - they are clearly to heretical for our clearance level - and you are done. :D

The blue looks good on the World Eater too - darker than MoonSword's, but more business-like. :)

I will have to get back to you on the other questions, (WB, UM etc) Matt, but this is a brilliant start. Thanks! :tu:
Posted Image

Alternate Heresy Index Astartes articles for the World Eaters, Emperor's Children, Raven Guard, Word Bearers,
Ultramarines, White Scars, Space Wolves, Thousand Sons and Blood Angels available as a pdf

Aurelius Rex

Aurelius Rex

++ GESTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,726 posts
Regarding the look of the Pre-Heresy WB armour, the Lexicanum has a shot of it taken from their GW IA article, Matt. Here.

More later on the other questions you posed, Matt.
Posted Image

Sigismund Himself

Sigismund Himself

++SCRIBERE NOVELLUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,415 posts
Alt RG completed.
Posted Image

Alt WE complete, save for any markings that need adding.
Posted Image

And a concept test for the Blood Angel style jump packs:
Posted Image

Aurelius Rex

Aurelius Rex

++ GESTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,726 posts
RG looks great - job done!

The World Eater has the right colours - the legion symbol is nicely done. Given their rigid militaristic bent, is there any chance of adding a squad designator (like the arrow for a tactical squad or four arrow assault squad symbol. I always think that overlaying it with a squad number is essential for that ring of authenticity... is that doable? Finally, is there a way of giving the poor guy a chainaxe, as no self-respecting World Eater Assault marine would be seen dead taking a weedy chainsword into battle. ;)

The Blood Angel nearly made me still tea all over my keyboard! :lol: You have got the right idea - although before I had only thought of one turbofan on each side rather than two - but I suspect that it might be a step too far, and it would be best to concentrate on a normal back pack and focus on texturing the corrosion on the power armour. :)
Posted Image

Sigismund Himself

Sigismund Himself

++SCRIBERE NOVELLUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,415 posts
Started back on these as I figure you'll need these for the Legio Imprint now more than a complete Alpha Legion IA :P

Ultramarines Take One. Awaiting photoshopping of bare power armour onto chest, addition of wings to U on shoulder pad and ariels onto the backpack.

Posted Image

Space Wolves colour test. I've gone for a shade between the normal Space Wolves colour and the 13th Company. Awaiting Ultramarines thigh armour, blood spatter and torc. Might try and give him some weapons as well.
Posted Image

Sigismund Himself

Sigismund Himself

++SCRIBERE NOVELLUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,415 posts
Further work.

Update for the wolf. Missing blood spatter (still experimenting on effects) and torc (hard to find an image to match the description).

Posted Image

And UM updated. Having difficulty finding suitable wings for the chapter symbol and how to 'Tauify' it a bit.
Posted Image

Aurelius Rex

Aurelius Rex

++ GESTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,726 posts
Thanks, Matt. The Ultramarine looks better with the bare chest - A stylised 'U' might well work there, but don't worry about the wings, as the lack of wings would differentiate it nicely from the Imperium. The addition of the chapter / legion symbol on the shoulderpad is vital to the look, I think. Don't worry about tau'ing it up... Unless he is touting a railgun it might not come over. :D

I have just re-read the Alt-UM IA, and it made me think that there might be something to differentiate which of the chapters within the Ultramarines Legion the marine belongs. Obviously the premier chapter is the Macragge one, but Orpheus, Ulixis and Calth are also mentioned as sites of other chapters of the Ultramarine legion.

Could this be marked on the armour in some way? Perhaps the name of the chapter's planet (Orpheus, Ulixis, Calth etc.) below the 'U' legion symbol on the shoulderpad, with almost a chapter symbol or bit of heraldry on one of the kneepads, which look rather bare at the moment? The Praetors of Orpheus have a nice looking chapter symbol that could be stolen for the kneepad - here.

The wolf looks much improved - less horns and more Khorne. ;) The leg is a nice touch, although it seems slightly odd to have the ultra symbol on that part of the armour... I am guessing that as part of the trophy-taking the berserker scrawled on the 'U' and then symbolically crossed it out, but would it be possible to have a characteristic piece of armour that already bears the enemy chapter / legion symbol, such as, for instance, a lower leg and kneepad which may well have the legion symbol on already?

Is it also possible to add some kind of neck torc, and of course a form of the legion symbol (corrupted wolfy thing) and warband designator on the shoulderpads? :)

Oh, and having seen the old armour mark painter that Brother Argos was showing off a few days ago (here) made me instantly think that it was the perfect thing to use for the Emperor's Children. Pre-Heresy to a tee!

Edited by Aurelius Rex, 26 February 2010 - 04:12 PM.

Posted Image

Sigismund Himself

Sigismund Himself

++SCRIBERE NOVELLUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,415 posts
Ultramarine gets to be from the Orpheus chapter, with shiny metal name plat on shoulder pad and Praetors symbol on knee. I've also removed all the armour 'joint' lines that are normally on the painter to try and make it look a bit more advanced.
Posted Image

Blood, torc and symbols added to the Wolf. I tried not to go too overboard on the blood spatter...
Posted Image

Having fun experimenting with the Blood Angel, might have something to show for it by Friday.

Aurelius Rex

Aurelius Rex

++ GESTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,726 posts
The refinements look great, Matt. :) I love the idea of subtly showing the sdvancement of the armour by removing the obvious weak points of the joint lines. :P The name 'Orpheus' under the shoulderpad 'U' lacks contrast / definition at the moment. It is a subtle enough detail as it is, only being able to see the first half of the name, so if it can be made clearer than the current light grey on grey, it would be more obvious. If this is tricky, then even a white 'Orpheus' on the blue pad background might be a simple option.

I think that some sort of note somewhere to mention that the marine is of the Orpheus Chapter of the Ultramarines Legion would be in order. This can probably be done as a small line of text beneath the image during formatting.

Last thing - it is probably the indistinct nature of the text, but it currently seems to say 'Orit....' rather than 'Orph....'. :) :)

Regarding the Space Wolf, every version looks better than the last. The blood splatters are spot-on and the torc is looking good. While I know that time is running short, is there a way to address the Ultramarine thigh armour concern I raised before:

The leg is a nice touch, although it seems slightly odd to have the ultra symbol on that part of the armour... I am guessing that as part of the trophy-taking the berserker scrawled on the 'U' and then symbolically crossed it out, but would it be possible to have a characteristic piece of armour that already bears the enemy chapter / legion symbol, such as, for instance, a lower leg and kneepad which may well have the legion symbol on already?

Obviously if time just becomes too pressing and it is too difficult to do, then let it pass, but seeing the attention of detail you have already put into the Wolf, it would be a shame to have this niggle remaining, especially if it is a relatively quick fix. ;)

So looking at the bigger picture, there are nine legions featured in the Legio Imprint:

1) World Eaters - Marine with chainsword... Is it possible to give him a chainaxe instead? If not, how about a bolter or just a bolt pistol, as the chainsword seems out of place.
2) Emperor's Children - The new mk 4 armour painter would be great for this.
3) Raven Guard - Done.
4) Word Bearers - Slate grey with carvings?
5) Ultramarines - Done, bar points above?
6) White Scars - ?
7) Space Wolves - Done, bar points above?
8) Thousand Sons - This could be tricky... they retain the red armour, but it is pretty stylised.
9) Blood Angels - WIP? Corroded, rusty red/brown?

This is a lot to do / ask, Matt, but you have done such a good job so far. :D Does it sound do-able?
Posted Image

Ferrata

Ferrata

++ PUNIO TRUCIDO ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 9,909 posts
For the White Scar, iirc there was a bike image for the painter early on in the process of making it so if you PM Argos or go searchy, that might save you a lot of time. As for colour scheme, I'm currently painting one and I've kept the white of the White Scars, but attempted to introduce more excentric colours in place of read. For example, one has ice blue rims on their armour and bike (along with a dark green elongated chainsword. Wonder where he got that :D). Trying to pimp them up might be easier in the painter than it was for my modelling skills, but gold weapons here, and a fancy weapon there :D

Sigismund Himself

Sigismund Himself

++SCRIBERE NOVELLUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,415 posts

The refinements look great, Matt. :D I love the idea of subtly showing the sdvancement of the armour by removing the obvious weak points of the joint lines. The name 'Orpheus' under the shoulderpad 'U' lacks contrast / definition at the moment. It is a subtle enough detail as it is, only being able to see the first half of the name, so if it can be made clearer than the current light grey on grey, it would be more obvious. If this is tricky, then even a white 'Orpheus' on the blue pad background might be a simple option.

I might just go with the plain white text so it's nice and clear.

While I know that time is running short, is there a way to address the Ultramarine thigh armour concern I raised before:

The leg is a nice touch, although it seems slightly odd to have the ultra symbol on that part of the armour... I am guessing that as part of the trophy-taking the berserker scrawled on the 'U' and then symbolically crossed it out, but would it be possible to have a characteristic piece of armour that already bears the enemy chapter / legion symbol, such as, for instance, a lower leg and kneepad which may well have the legion symbol on already?

Obviously if time just becomes too pressing and it is too difficult to do, then let it pass, but seeing the attention of detail you have already put into the Wolf, it would be a shame to have this niggle remaining, especially if it is a relatively quick fix. ;)

I can replace the entire leg or just the lower leg + knee with UM armour if necessary but I'm fond of the current look. I think it would look a little weird otherwise. For the moment, I'll leave it so I can concentrate on the other schemes that I've got brewing but I can go back to it anytime.

Also added an old school 1st Edition reference to his leg armour as it was looking rather bare...

1) World Eaters - Marine with chainsword... Is it possible to give him a chainaxe instead? If not, how about a bolter or just a bolt pistol, as the chainsword seems out of place.

Chainaxe isn't likely as it would most likely require me to make it via drawing rather than just rip the image off the web and play round with it until it fits the picture :) This I'll put after an attempt at the Thousand Sons.

2) Emperor's Children - The new mk 4 armour painter would be great for this.

Dropped Argos a PM about it.

4) Word Bearers - Slate grey with carvings?

I was thinking of going a bit more metallic as the Space Wolves already have the grey colour. Carvings I will have a go at. Any ideas for armament?

8) Thousand Sons - This could be tricky... they retain the red armour, but it is pretty stylised.

I may not be able to do these guys well enough to warrant a picture. I'm leaving them until last at this stage...

9) Blood Angels - WIP? Corroded, rusty red/brown?

I've got an appropriately disgusting blend of brown, red and green happening at the moment. The corrupted symbol also looks nasty but I'm not sure if you can see enough to guess that there's three dots of blood. Might place it somewhere else on the marine. Thoughts on weaponry?

This is a lot to do / ask, Matt, but you have done such a good job so far. :) Does it sound do-able?

I'm just starting up uni at the moment unfortunately so I can't really promise anything definite. However, with two weekdays free a week and unemployed, I should be able to do something :)

For the White Scar, iirc there was a bike image for the painter early on in the process of making it so if you PM Argos or go searchy, that might save you a lot of time. As for colour scheme, I'm currently painting one and I've kept the white of the White Scars, but attempted to introduce more excentric colours in place of read. For example, one has ice blue rims on their armour and bike (along with a dark green elongated chainsword. Wonder where he got that ;)). Trying to pimp them up might be easier in the painter than it was for my modelling skills, but gold weapons here, and a fancy weapon there :D

Dropped Argos a PM about the bike painter. I'll see what I can in the way of pimping as well :) Any ideas for legion symbol/warband markings?

Aurelius Rex

Aurelius Rex

++ GESTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,726 posts
@Phil - Replacing the red for the 'slash marks' on the White Scars with other, more Slaaneshi colours sounds great. You have mentioned a light blue, but would a similarly pastel pinky purple also work, as it would be an evolution of the original red?

Elongated chainsword? Did he steal an Alt-Apollyon pattern model from one of the Alt-Scions of Dorn? :P

I am really looking forward to seeing the model now, Phil. ^_^

@Matt -

I can replace the entire leg or just the lower leg + knee with UM armour if necessary but I'm fond of the current look. I think it would look a little weird otherwise. For the moment, I'll leave it so I can concentrate on the other schemes that I've got brewing but I can go back to it anytime.

Also added an old school 1st Edition reference to his leg armour as it was looking rather bare...

It is lower priority than getting the others done. We can come back to it if there is time. Regarding the bareness of the armour, that is why I thought that a kneepad (and attached shin armour) would be a good choice as it would be an ideal place for a chapter symbol - suitably crossed out, of course - that would make it clear to the viewer what was going on.

Chainaxe isn't likely as it would most likely require me to make it via drawing rather than just rip the image off the web and play round with it until it fits the picture This I'll put after an attempt at the Thousand Sons.

In preference the hopefully quick to change bolter would fit better than the chainsword, as it reinforces that they are not one dimensional berserkers that their norm-'verse counterparts are.

I was thinking of going a bit more metallic as the Space Wolves already have the grey colour. Carvings I will have a go at. Any ideas for armament?

Oh, quite right... I always saw the pre-Heresy / alt-Heresy WB as having bare, unpainted metal armour. The Alt-IA mentions them having votive cloths of different colours to denote their squad specialty (such as Tac, Dev, Assault etc)which they attach / put over the shoulder pad which on other legions might denote their specialty. I didn't specify which colours were which. Also, they would probably have lots and lots of purity seals.

As to weapons, nothing springs to mind. He isn't a chaplain, I take it, so whatever fits best to your eye.

Dropped Argos a PM about the bike painter. I'll see what I can in the way of pimping as well Any ideas for legion symbol/warband markings?

The bike would be a really nice bonus, but if it isn't available, don't worry. As to the legion symbol, I will defer to Phil for this. Is there a way to incorporate the Slaaneshi symbol into it somehow? :P

Can't wait to see how these come out - especially the Blood Angel. :lol:

Regards,
John.
Posted Image

Ferrata

Ferrata

++ PUNIO TRUCIDO ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 9,909 posts

Any ideas for legion symbol/warband markings?

I've always imagined they've overtly played to the thunder bolt imagery. Like the Emperor's Children keep their name to mock the corpse-God, the Alt-White Scars keep the Lightning symbol to mock The Emperor (plus, it was theirs first ;)). Some might work it into the Slaanesh symbol by replacing the crosslink with the bolt. For colours, I used the blue as it is what I had at hand (no pink or red) ^_^ Oh, and yes, he might had stole it from a Scion :P

Sigismund Himself

Sigismund Himself

++SCRIBERE NOVELLUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,415 posts
Experimenting with the Blood Angel. The left leg's mottling has been smoothed while the right leg's remains streaky just to gauge opinions on which works best. The full Blood Angel symbol is included on the left shoulder pad so you can get a proper look at it. Once I've got some feedback, I'll start doing it on the Chaos painter (though I want to retain the winged skull chest).

Posted Image

++Edit++ Would robes/tabards work for the Word Bearers John? Not sure I can pull off the cloth draped shoulderpad.

Also could whip up a montage of small snips from the painter work to act as a teaser if needed.

Edited by Sigismund Himself, 05 March 2010 - 10:42 AM.

Aurelius Rex

Aurelius Rex

++ GESTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,726 posts
That is looking really interesting, Matt. :lol: The corroded, scummed up appearance is ideal for their lack of care about maintenance, and the browny-red colour gives the impression of dried blood.

On the mottled / smooth subject, if I had to choose perhaps just a slight preference for the mottled look... although to be honest I think there is room for both effects in different places for variety's sake.

The red eyes tend to merge in with the red armour... What do the norm-'verse BA do for this? Green? It would stand out - but then I have a fondness for red and green, I suppose - and like the glowing eyes of the winged skull, an unearthly green would have a subtle association with Nurgle. :P

You are going to integrate elements of the Chaos painter to this, you say? Should be even better. Perhaps some goo (browny-green?) leaking and streaking down from a seal or suit vent point?

The Legion symbol is better than I could have hoped... tied to the Blood Angels we know, and yet subtly incorporating the 'three circle' Nurgle imagery as well. It is so good, and as you have mentioned the effect might be lost on the shoulderpad, that it may be possible to reinforce the image by representing the image on a straight-on image of a shoulderpad, just like the GW IA's do to show the legion iconography? Either that, or put it additionally somewhere front-facing on the marine like the kneepad or lower leg armour.

Regarding the Word Bearers, I can't remember if I mentioned they wear tabards, but I think that it would look suitable for them and differentiate them from the other legions represented so far. Having the tabards be red might also be a nice way to tie them into the post-Norm-heresy, which may be a subtle nod. :P I think I had a discussion along these lines with a Frater on the board about this when the WB article was released IIRC.

As to the votive cloths, it would be a shame to lose them, but if nothing can be done, or adapted from the tabard / cloak fabric in the painter then so be it. :)

Also could whip up a montage of small snips from the painter work to act as a teaser if needed.

I'm not sure what you mean about this, Matt. Do you mean to promote the upcoming publication? If so, it would be interesting to consider, but don't let it get in the way of completing the painters themselves. :)

Edited by Aurelius Rex, 05 March 2010 - 01:25 PM.

Posted Image

Sigismund Himself

Sigismund Himself

++SCRIBERE NOVELLUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,415 posts

The red eyes tend to merge in with the red armour... What do the norm-'verse BA do for this? Green? It would stand out - but then I have a fondness for red and green, I suppose - and like the glowing eyes of the winged skull, an unearthly green would have a subtle association with Nurgle. :lol:

Green it is then. I'll try the glowing effect on them as well.

You are going to integrate elements of the Chaos painter to this, you say? Should be even better. Perhaps some goo (browny-green?) leaking and streaking down from a seal or suit vent point?

Ooo, I'll see what I can do along these lines :P

I'm not sure what you mean about this, Matt. Do you mean to promote the upcoming publication? If so, it would be interesting to consider, but don't let it get in the way of completing the painters themselves. :)

It's just a simple cut and paste job from existing images so it takes no time at all. Like so:

Posted Image

Trial Word Bearer for the engraved text effect and colours. Doesn't look as sharp textwise as it did in Photoshop format unfortunately...
Posted Image

Aurelius Rex

Aurelius Rex

++ GESTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,726 posts
You continue to impress, Matt. That text looks absolutely great. :P Is it possible to make the grey of the metal a few shades darker, though? At the moment it looks bright enough to be mistaken for the norm-'verse Grey Knights. ;) Is the intention to have the text on all of the armour surfaces that will take it, even the arms and backpack, or just the legs? I am not sure if the effect would be as good on the smaller surfaces, but if you can get it to work it will be stunning. ^_^

The red tabard looks good as well, I think. :lol: Could a piece be adapted to drape over the (our left) shoulderpad? Your photoshopping skills seem to be pretty advanced, from what you have shown us here! ^_^

I see from the snippets that you have added the Nurgle legion symbol to the Blood Angel's kneepad - that looks like it would really work to drive home what it is and will completely solve the problem of not being able to see the whole omage on the side-on shoulderpad. To make it clear, I would go for the full-on image on the kneepad and also keep the half / side on image on the shoulderpad. Have you had any thoughts about what to put on the other shoulderpad (our left, his right) or what weapons to give him? A powersword (plaguesword?) corroded and dripping with toxins would doubtless look amazing, but I can imagine it might also be time consuming. If in doubt, go for something which will take the least time. :lol:

Oh, and on the subject of the Blood Angels, I have incorporated the feedback you gave me on their IA article, and gave it two more very thorough proofing passes before sending it off to Paul for the Legio Imprint. I did it all on the word formatted version and so have not got round to changing the version in the thread, but if you like I will forward you the attachment. Multiple, multiple changes, mostly minor, and all the better for the things you pointed out. Many thanks again for that!

Regards,
John.
Posted Image

Brother Argos

Brother Argos

++ IGNUS GLADIUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 3,549 posts
With regard to Mk4 armour it would need to be hand configured as we currently lack an interface for the new wargear and the mk4 is my testbed. Would take a fair while to teach someone how to hand code what they wanted into the test bed, what do you need the mk4 armour for .. any particular chapter ?
Brother Argos

Brother Argos stepped forward into the reflected light of the schematic. The Techmarine went unhooded. The left portion of his face was framed with a steel plate, the snarling image of a Salamander seared into it as an honour marking. Burn scars from the Brander-Priests wreathed his skin in whorls and bands. A Bionic eye gleamed coldly in contrast to the burning red of his own.

When he spoke, his voice was deep and metallic.

- Heroes of the Space Marines - Fires of War : Pg 190

Iron Hands - A new beginning

Aurelius Rex

Aurelius Rex

++ GESTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,726 posts

With regard to Mk4 armour it would need to be hand configured as we currently lack an interface for the new wargear and the mk4 is my testbed. Would take a fair while to teach someone how to hand code what they wanted into the test bed, what do you need the mk4 armour for .. any particular chapter ?

The mk 4 would be ideal for the Alt-Heresy Emperor's Children, which decreed that they had achieved perfection just before Istvaan, and so didn't hold with any of these new fangled technological developments. Just think the Amish... only they are completely different. :D

They are the ultimate pre-Heresy army. For this reason the mk4 pattern would have really made the Alt-Heresy EC stand out. I saw the quartered purple / white (IIRC) mk 4 marine you posted before, and thought that it was ideal... if it wasn't for the white bits! :)

Is it possible to get the base marine in EC purple - even if we don't have the wargear or even weapons? If this is possible, Matt has proved to be remarkably adept at photoshopping things in from other sources. :) Does that sound doable, Matt?

If it is not usable then something along the lines of the mk 6 'Beaky' style EC from the first post would also fit.

Edited by Aurelius Rex, 08 March 2010 - 05:24 PM.

Posted Image