Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[LI01] Alternate Heresy Painter Images - COMPLETED

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
87 replies to this topic

Sigismund Himself

Sigismund Himself

++SCRIBERE NOVELLUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,415 posts
Having remembered how to use the Multiply layer type (be forgetting my own head next :sweat:), I've managed to whip up an Emperor's Children marine. I just need to clean up the image a bit (remove white, balance the colours a little better and redo gold 'buttons' on it). So if that's satisfactory for John, I don't think we'll need to intrude on your small amount of free time David :)

Posted Image

Is it possible to make the grey of the metal a few shades darker, though? At the moment it looks bright enough to be mistaken for the norm-'verse Grey Knights. :D

At the moment, it's really difficult to get a metallic colour on the painter. I can go darker easily but it will stop looking as 'metallic' as it currently is.

Is the intention to have the text on all of the armour surfaces that will take it, even the arms and backpack, or just the legs? I am not sure if the effect would be as good on the smaller surfaces, but if you can get it to work it will be stunning. :)

I'll have a play with it and post some examples.

The red tabard looks good as well, I think. :) Could a piece be adapted to drape over the (our left) shoulderpad? Your photoshopping skills seem to be pretty advanced, from what you have shown us here! ;)

I'll see if I can. The 'folding' of the draped section might appear a bit weird.

A powersword (plaguesword?) corroded and dripping with toxins would doubtless look amazing, but I can imagine it might also be time consuming.

Ooo, sounds ridiculously good. Not sure if I can pull it off but I'll give it a go (after the basics are sorted).

Oh, and on the subject of the Blood Angels, I have incorporated the feedback you gave me on their IA article, and gave it two more very thorough proofing passes before sending it off to Paul for the Legio Imprint. I did it all on the word formatted version and so have not got round to changing the version in the thread, but if you like I will forward you the attachment. Multiple, multiple changes, mostly minor, and all the better for the things you pointed out. Many thanks again for that!

Sure, wouldn't mind having a read of how it turned out :)

Brother Argos

Brother Argos

++ IGNUS GLADIUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 3,549 posts
Posted Image

Try using that Matt ...

Literally I had just finished it after you posted.

Quite good actually .. pointed out a bug on the right (as facing) knee ...

Please do NOT use the codes in that image on the board publically ... they are a testbed for development and as such liable to change / be removed as development continues.
Brother Argos

Brother Argos stepped forward into the reflected light of the schematic. The Techmarine went unhooded. The left portion of his face was framed with a steel plate, the snarling image of a Salamander seared into it as an honour marking. Burn scars from the Brander-Priests wreathed his skin in whorls and bands. A Bionic eye gleamed coldly in contrast to the burning red of his own.

When he spoke, his voice was deep and metallic.

- Heroes of the Space Marines - Fires of War : Pg 190

Iron Hands - A new beginning

madscuzzy

madscuzzy

++ VEXILLUM PICTOR ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 2,656 posts
I hope this is not too much... but I couldn't help myself. Was thinking how to push the BA one...esp with the new dex and nurgle... sorry matt if Im offending you.

Posted Image

Scuzworks
SL40K - My Models

Forum Rules

Available for Commissions! PM Meeee~!

Ferrus Manus

Ferrus Manus

+LEXICANUM+

• + LEXICANIUM +
  • 2,705 posts
That is rather cool!

My WIP Space Marine Chapter

Aurelius Rex

Aurelius Rex

++ GESTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,726 posts
Great to see you here, Dom! That Blood Angel looks amazing. I have been intending to pm you about the Legio Imprint - picking your brains, the possibility of a banner to publicise the e-zine etc. Expect it tonight. :D

Regarding the Emperor's Children marine, both versions look near identical. Thanks very much, David and Matt. That form of armour would be perfect. Do you think you can use it as a base for the final piece, Matt?

Regarding the Word Bearers, if darker becomes an issue with the metallic look then that's fine - go with what you currently have. :tu:

Expect the additions to the Blood Angels IA in your e-mail inbox this evening. Off the top of my head I think there were only a couple of your points I didn't execute - such as having Sanguinius see the ships coming into orbit. I know what you mean, but after all he is a superhuman primarch with amazing eyesight... and I liked the imagery. The other one was regarding The Emperor rather than Sanguinius being the greatest being to have walked on Baal. Again, while true, the IA is skewed to the perspective of the Blood Angels, who hate The Emperor above all others, so they were not going to credit Him above their beloved - if rather stinky - primarch. :lol:

Wow - that means that with the exception of the very tricky Thousand Sons there is something in the works for eack one of the featured legions. Outstanding!
Posted Image

Alternate Heresy Index Astartes articles for the World Eaters, Emperor's Children, Raven Guard, Word Bearers,
Ultramarines, White Scars, Space Wolves, Thousand Sons and Blood Angels available as a pdf
Click here for the Legio Imprint download thread
Iron Warriors +++ Iron Hands +++ Alpha Legion +++ Dark Angels

Index Astartes: Scions of Dorn

Ferrus Manus

Ferrus Manus

+LEXICANUM+

• + LEXICANIUM +
  • 2,705 posts
I could have a go at the Thousand Sons if you'd like John. What sort of things were you looking for?

Aurelius Rex

Aurelius Rex

++ GESTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,726 posts
Hi Matt. :) I'm not sure how Matt / Sig was planning to approach it - and wouldn't want to step on his planning toes - but the best images we have for the Thousand Sons are the pictures FireLizard has done in the artwork thread - check the first post summary.

They would retain the red armour, of course. It is more highly ornamented than many of the legions, which may mean that some serious adaption may be needed. They are soul-bound and so are blind, and so have reforged their helms into unnerving eyeless masks. Tim has made some wonderful touches for the theme of the legion iconography - the emblem on the chest looks to me at once a scarab beetle, and also a stylised 'T'. Or that is at least how I saw it. :)

I think the fully psychically active marine* that Tim drew has more of a psychic hood, and it looks pleasingly similar to the post-Horus Heresy helms. :pinch: I love how these little echoes come through.

They also have lots of lightning bolt iconography - the Emperor's sigil in the Dornian Heresy 'verse as the EC jealously guard the Aquila - and as they are soul bound to the Emperor they are unshakeably devoted to him.

*I take it a sergeant or suchlike - they are all psychic to some extent or another so there is no need for a dedicated Librarian role as such.
Posted Image

Alternate Heresy Index Astartes articles for the World Eaters, Emperor's Children, Raven Guard, Word Bearers,
Ultramarines, White Scars, Space Wolves, Thousand Sons and Blood Angels available as a pdf

Sigismund Himself

Sigismund Himself

++SCRIBERE NOVELLUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,415 posts
Thanks David :)

Wow Dom, that's beautiful :tu: I bow to your superior skills :P

I hadn't got any good thoughts on the Thousand Sons so feel free to run wild Matt.

Ferrus Manus

Ferrus Manus

+LEXICANUM+

• + LEXICANIUM +
  • 2,705 posts
Well here is my base pic, I'm fairly happy with the colour shades at the moment - but I'd thought I'd run it by you guys first.
Posted Image

Edited by Ferrus Manus, 10 March 2010 - 07:52 AM.
It would help if I remembered to include the image.

Octavulg

Octavulg

+LEXICANIUM+

• + LEXICANIUM +
  • 8,010 posts
Shouldn't they be white, not goldish?

Proud author of the Ice Lords, the Bronze Prophets, the Stone Hearts, the Steel Dogs and the The Marines Tenebric.

The Octaguide - Your very long guide to very long IAs

Help me update the Big Liber Timeline!

"Wake up. Pray. Train. Pray. Drop screaming through the atmosphere from low orbit into a raging battlefield, and take the fight to enemies that may outnumber us by as little as three to one. Do battle with the most horrific enemies of mankind imaginable and charge into lines of weapons that could shred a tank into ribbons. Afterward, lunch, time permitting." - Marshal Arturas, 15/05/08

Ferrus Manus

Ferrus Manus

+LEXICANUM+

• + LEXICANIUM +
  • 2,705 posts
I thought they were white/bone/gold, depending on ranks - at least that's the impression I had. Hence I went with bone.

EDIT: Some basic ideas for the helmet:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Opinions?

Edited by Ferrus Manus, 10 March 2010 - 04:53 PM.

Aurelius Rex

Aurelius Rex

++ GESTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,726 posts

Wow - that means that with the exception of the very tricky Thousand Sons there is something in the works for eack one of the featured legions. Outstanding!

D'oh! I forgot the White Scars! How could I do that? I have been immersed in their IA for a good portion of the last few days! :P Sorry Phil. :)

Regarding the Blood Angel, I love the collaborative effort! Is it possible to continue this and add the plaguesword as discussed? At the moment the only thing I can find to improve it would be not to have him unarmed. :)

@Matt (FM) - That is a great start! Looking at the Collected visions and the GW IA the tabardy thing and shoulderpad rims looked more ice white than bone to me, although that book is notoriously fickle and changeable. Bear in mind that there is much scope to change details from the Horus Heresy, but personally I think it looks better as ice white than bone... less like the Blood Ravens for a start. Is it possible to alter the colouring?

Regarding the helmets, the extra helmet ruffles would work for an officer, although he would also bear a force staff rather than a bolter which might be difficult to do from scratch. On the basis of a basic, only slightly psychic battle-brother with a bolter, I have found the images drawn by Tim. While I like the purity seal on the eyes, I wouldn't see it as what the usual marines do... is it possible to have the helmet as actually eyeless? The distinctive device on the forehead of the officer is pretty special - could something be created by cutting down the top of the psychic hood crest?

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Scarab / 'T' icon that Tim has added to the chest armour of both marines, along with the lightning bolts are really something that brings it together and differentiates it from the norm-'verse pre-heresy Tsons. Is it possible to create something like that on the chest of this marine?

The Collected visions has a very distinctive corner to the shoulderpad edge. Is it possible to replicate this? Certainly not required by any means. If anything I am more interested by the unusual curled detailing that Tim gave to the shoulderpad rim... almost swirling smoke or runelike?

Regarding the Tson legion symbol, there is no reason to change it from their sun thing from pre-Heresy - although the scarab could remain as strong secondary imagery. Is it possible to have it appear on the shoulderpad (side on) and on the tabard face on?

Regards,
John.
Posted Image

Ferrus Manus

Ferrus Manus

+LEXICANUM+

• + LEXICANIUM +
  • 2,705 posts

Regarding the helmets, the extra helmet ruffles would work for an officer, although he would also bear a force staff rather than a bolter which might be difficult to do from scratch. On the basis of a basic, only slightly psychic battle-brother with a bolter, I have found the images drawn by Tim. While I like the purity seal on the eyes, I wouldn't see it as what the usual marines do... is it possible to have the helmet as actually eyeless? The distinctive device on the forehead of the officer is pretty special - could something be created by cutting down the top of the psychic hood crest?

Cause I'm quite attached to the head like that I'm more than happy to have a go at a force staff. On that note, Brother Argos - any chance that's being included in the up and coming painter update? However, if not, if we can find a good image of a force staff I can adapt it into the image so it is possible.

As for the white, that's easily changed. -_-

The Scarab / 'T' icon that Tim has added to the chest armour of both marines, along with the lightning bolts are really something that brings it together and differentiates it from the norm-'verse pre-heresy Tsons. Is it possible to create something like that on the chest of this marine?

I'll give it a go, I did try and use the knee pad as base image for a scarab jewel, it worked fairly well so I'll see what I can do.

The Shoulder pads are possible. I can steal them from the IA image of the 1k Son and recolour it like I did for the helmet.

Regarding the Tson legion symbol, there is no reason to change it from their sun thing from pre-Heresy - although the scarab could remain as strong secondary imagery. Is it possible to have it appear on the shoulderpad (side on) and on the tabard face on?

It is, I just need a good image. At the moment I'm struggling to find a good example of the Pre-Heresy Thousand Sons symbol and a scarab image akin to those on the cover of A Thousand Sons.

Hopefully, I'll update it by the weekend.

madscuzzy

madscuzzy

++ VEXILLUM PICTOR ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 2,656 posts
Yes... I tau-ed it up. Rather, for the most part it is now more 'sci-fi' mordern... other than the tau-ish stuff... how do you find it?

Posted Image

Scuzworks
SL40K - My Models

Forum Rules

Aurelius Rex

Aurelius Rex

++ GESTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,726 posts
I think there are a load of really great elements in there, Dom. :)

The last thing I have to write for the Legio Imprint Dornian Heresy articles is an additional colourpiece for the Ultramarines - it talks among other things of their constant evolution of their technology, and the only very recent adaptation of things like Tau tech.

From that perspective the 'Sci-fi modern' look is perfect as it reflects their un-superstitious view of technology and nicely shows what gradual evolving technology would do for the legion. I especially like the segmented armour in the abdomen, the flatter profile on the shin armour (greaves?) and chest and the way the yellow border is used on the chest and bottom of the (our left) shoulderpad. Oh, and the great looking 'U' on the chest. The yellow company colour is a particularly nice adaptation. :)

The only thing that really didn't fit was the Tau sept thing inside the Ultramarines symbol and the (our right hand side shoulderpad) as they are actually at war with the Tau Empire. :D This is thanks to the Alpha Legion, hehe, but with the breaking of the treaties they have been free to apply stolen tau tech for their own uses. However, this was a relatively recent phenomena, and it is taking a long time for all of the legion to take these ideas on board, so the influences would be subtle... a shield drone with a 'U' on here, a predator with a heavy railgun mount there, that kind of thing. Overall, UM's with subtle Tau weaponry influences rather than a straight mashup of the two armies. :P

Is it possible to merge the great iconography that Matt did for the Ultras with this? For instance, make the (our right) shoulderpad like the left one and put the 'Orpheus' chapter designator in black in the yellow bottom stripe? Similarly, can you put the Praetors of Orpheus chapter symbol back on the (our left) kneepad - either keeping the new angular style if that works or reverting to the traditional round style... and of course remove the tau thingy on the chest.

The helmet is a cross between smoothly futuristic and a retro throwback to the older marks of helm... I almost think it should have 'breathing holes' on one side like the ones you see for the Templars occasionally.

Overall, outstanding!
Posted Image

Ferrus Manus

Ferrus Manus

+LEXICANUM+

• + LEXICANIUM +
  • 2,705 posts
Posted Image

Here's an update. There's a couple of things I'm not happy with, mostly due to the poor to the poor quality of the base images I've used.

Any chance anyone can find a decent Thousand Sons symbol?

madscuzzy

madscuzzy

++ VEXILLUM PICTOR ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 2,656 posts
Posted Image

Scuzworks
SL40K - My Models

Forum Rules

Aurelius Rex

Aurelius Rex

++ GESTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,726 posts
@Matt - Lexicanum has a Thousand Sons symbol here for reference. It could go white or red... or black for that matter depending on the background. I don't know where that extra bit in the middle came from. :P I would stick with the middle being a simple donut hole rather than putting an 'i' at the centre... If you know what I mean.

The shoulderpad border looks the right shape, and even have the 'squiggles' - I take it that you scanned this in from the IA - but I agree that the fuzziness jars with the picture quality of the rest of the picture. To get round this, would it be preferrable to use it simply to use it simply to get the right shape for the borders and then work from there?

What are the things on the kneepads? What is your thinking for them?

On the chest, are you heading for the scarab as a work in progress? Are you also intending to delete the wings and then add in some thunderbolts? :)

The psychic hood frills look good for an officer, but I'm still not keen on the way the parchment covers the eyes and the purity seal over the face. Is it possible to eventually go for the 'eyeless helm' thing for the lack of eyes instead - somewhere along the lines of what Dom came up with in the other DH artwork thread? I realise that you are still WIP'ing this. :)

@Dom - thanks for the fast turnaround. :D The new version looks even better, but looking back I was not clear with what I was asking for in a few cases.

- I intended for the (our right) shoulderpad to have the Ultramarines 'U' legion symbol - it wasn't clear from my post above.

- Rather than having the Orpheus chapter symbol itself on the (our right) shoulderpad, I intended that the word 'Orpheus' itself be written on the yellow border to denote the planet the chapter hails from. I am not sure if it would work - if not, stick with the way you have done it. :)

- Is it possible to put the Orpheus chapter symbol on the (our left) kneepad itself rather than underneath it? There should be just enough room on the upper angular face.

I hope that was all a bit clearer, Dom... but reading back I am not sure. :)
Posted Image

Ferrus Manus

Ferrus Manus

+LEXICANUM+

• + LEXICANIUM +
  • 2,705 posts

To get round this, would it be preferrable to use it simply to use it simply to get the right shape for the borders and then work from there?

Good idea. :confused:

What are the things on the kneepads? What is your thinking for them?

On the chest, are you heading for the scarab as a work in progress? Are you also intending to delete the wings and then add in some thunderbolts?

The Kneepads were simply cut and pasted from the IA image of the Post Heresy 1kSon, I was going to do the same with the lower legs - simply to add to the ornate look.

As for the Thunderbolts, I could erase the wings - but first I'd like to try placing them on top of the wings. But if that doesn't work. I will erase them.

The psychic hood frills look good for an officer, but I'm still not keen on the way the parchment covers the eyes and the purity seal over the face. Is it possible to eventually go for the 'eyeless helm' thing for the lack of eyes instead - somewhere along the lines of what Dom came up with in the other DH artwork thread? I realise that you are still WIP'ing this.

Having only seen Dom's artwork I'm am very willing to have a go at the eyeless helmets.

Watch this space.

EDIT: How's this for the Eyeless helmet?
Posted Image

Edited by Ferrus Manus, 13 March 2010 - 09:26 AM.
Image added.

Aurelius Rex

Aurelius Rex

++ GESTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,726 posts
Sorry for the delay, Matt. I didn't notice the edit!

The legion symbol looks good on both the shoulderpad and the tabard - although is it possibble to have the tabard as white like the shoulderpad borders rather than bone?

Regarding the eyeless helmets, how about doing it on the later mark helmet you used for the psychic hood in post 41, only without the extra parchment / purity seals. The helmet would probably still have a 'brow' line which would define the face, but without the eye lenses would look pretty eery. :)

I have edited the first post in this thread to have the most up to date images. As things are completed they will be easier for Paul to find and integrate into the Legio Imprint. If I can keep them up to date. :)

There are two weeks until the end of the month - the intention is to publish in April so the end of March deadline would give us time to get things finished and incorporated without a mad rush. So, can everyone involved in this check in and say what they are working on and if they need anything from me / anything else to complete this so nothing falls through the cracks. As people check in I will update the first post.

Regards,
John.
Posted Image

Sigismund Himself

Sigismund Himself

++SCRIBERE NOVELLUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,415 posts
Working on the Word Bearers as I type. Also having a go at putting a chain axe in the World Eaters' hands.

White Scars I will have a think about on Friday.

Badaboom

Badaboom

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + ADEPTUS DOMUS +
  • 330 posts
Btw, which one is the Raven Guard insignia in this alternative storyline?

Aurelius Rex

Aurelius Rex

++ GESTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,726 posts

Working on the Word Bearers as I type. Also having a go at putting a chain axe in the World Eaters' hands.

White Scars I will have a think about on Friday.

Great stuff, Matt. ^_^ In the first post I added a list of 'to do' things that occurred with each of the images... It had a number of things for both the WE and WB that I would suggest looking into - for the WE it included putting a squad designator (eg tac squad arrow) on the our left shoulderpad - I think the rest had been discussed before.

If you can get the chainaxe to work then that would be ideal, Matt. Otherwise, I think I suggested just the pistol in the other hand or a bolter to show they are not all close combat berserkers in this universe.

@Diego - Do you mean what does the Raven Guard legion symbol look like after they turn to Tzeentch, I don't think the subject has ever been discussed. :) Feel free to try something appropriate to the Tzeentch cult legion if the inspiration catches you, or otherwise just go with something based upon the conventional Horus Heresy universe chapter symbol the Raven Guard use. :P
Posted Image

Badaboom

Badaboom

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + ADEPTUS DOMUS +
  • 330 posts
Ok John, working on it. Is the color scheme for the RG still black and white, or does it changes to the blue/gold color of Tzeench?

Aurelius Rex

Aurelius Rex

++ GESTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,726 posts

Ok John, working on it. Is the color scheme for the RG still black and white, or does it changes to the blue/gold color of Tzeench?

I would stick with the characteristic black and white, Diego. :D
Posted Image