Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[LI01] Alternate Heresy Painter Images - COMPLETED

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
87 replies to this topic

Ferrus Manus

Ferrus Manus

+LEXICANUM+

• + LEXICANIUM +
  • 2,705 posts
I'll get some more work done on the TS on the weekend. When's the publication date? It's just that I'm juggling this and Coursework at the moment, which is due 31st March. Hence, if I don't manage to finish it by then it will be done early April.

Oh and John, I'll give that a go, shouldn't be an issue.

My WIP Space Marine Chapter

Sigismund Himself

Sigismund Himself

++SCRIBERE NOVELLUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,415 posts

Great stuff, Matt. :) In the first post I added a list of 'to do' things that occurred with each of the images... It had a number of things for both the WE and WB that I would suggest looking into - for the WE it included putting a squad designator (eg tac squad arrow) on the our left shoulderpad - I think the rest had been discussed before.

Is the Tactical Arrow really appropriate for a loyalist legion given these markings are the invention of that heretical Guilliman fellow?

Alos, any thoughts on markings for the Emperor's Children marine would be welcome.

Aurelius Rex

Aurelius Rex

++ GESTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,726 posts

I'll get some more work done on the TS on the weekend. When's the publication date? It's just that I'm juggling this and Coursework at the moment, which is due 31st March. Hence, if I don't manage to finish it by then it will be done early April.

Oh and John, I'll give that a go, shouldn't be an issue.

The publication date is intended to be 'April' - no exact date - with the artwork deadline set as the end of March so that Paul has plenty of time to integrate things and to stop mad headless chicken rushing around. The coursework and the deadline look like they will clash, so something will have to give, and I know that RL rightly trumps board activities.

All I can say is that whatever you can do without affecting your studies will be gladly accepted... that a good version of something modest will be preferrable to something perfect that comes in grotesquely late. We can probably push things a few days, but litle more as it is a slippery slope.

On that score, do you have any plans for the force staff? If not, then reverting to the simpler image without the psychic hood complications may well be the way to go.

Oh, and many thanks for the effort you are putting into this project. It is much appreciated. :P

@Sig / Matt - Hmmm... I had not thought that the tac arrow was specifically a codex / Guilliman thing. Doesn't it have any pre-heresy appearances on non-UM? You may well be right - I shall look into this tonight. Otherwise, do you have any alternate ideas?

On the EC, I had not considered how to approach it other than making sure that the marine had a prominent aquila. The chest would have been ideal but in this case it may be a bit busy with the piping and all... perhaps the shoulder and/or the shin armour?
Posted Image

Alternate Heresy Index Astartes articles for the World Eaters, Emperor's Children, Raven Guard, Word Bearers,
Ultramarines, White Scars, Space Wolves, Thousand Sons and Blood Angels available as a pdf
Click here for the Legio Imprint download thread
Iron Warriors +++ Iron Hands +++ Alpha Legion +++ Dark Angels

Index Astartes: Scions of Dorn

Ferrus Manus

Ferrus Manus

+LEXICANUM+

• + LEXICANIUM +
  • 2,705 posts
Update:

Posted Image

Next problem is the Force Staff, all I need is a good image. Time to get hunting...

Comments welcome.

madscuzzy

madscuzzy

++ VEXILLUM PICTOR ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 2,656 posts
Posted Image

Scuzworks
SL40K - My Models

Forum Rules

Available for Commissions! PM Meeee~!

Aurelius Rex

Aurelius Rex

++ GESTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,726 posts
@Dom - The Orpheus / 'U' additions look great - better than I would have hoped. ;)

I noticed that the arrow tac symbol on the (our left) shoulderpad has disappeared. Is it possible to get it back - probably with the bottom yellow border changed to make it mirror the (our right) shoulderpad?

@Matt (FM) - The shoulderpad borders and the tabard look very nice. ;) Not sure about the helm part of the face at the moment - is it a placeholder? Would a standard mark 7 (one after the beaky) head with the eye lenses smoothed out be possible?

+++Edit+++@Matt (SH) - I checked my sources such as the IA's and collected visions (Not the most accurate, I know!) and there were tac symbol arrows on non UM pre-heresy. However, if it is seen as a stupid oversight then I am perfectly happy for it to be something else, either a studded pad or another non-codex symbol like a diamond or somesuch. :)

Edited by Aurelius Rex, 18 March 2010 - 07:18 PM.

Posted Image

Alternate Heresy Index Astartes articles for the World Eaters, Emperor's Children, Raven Guard, Word Bearers,
Ultramarines, White Scars, Space Wolves, Thousand Sons and Blood Angels available as a pdf

madscuzzy

madscuzzy

++ VEXILLUM PICTOR ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 2,656 posts
Posted Image

Scuzworks
SL40K - My Models

Forum Rules

Ferrus Manus

Ferrus Manus

+LEXICANUM+

• + LEXICANIUM +
  • 2,705 posts
Posted Image

How's that?

Sigismund Himself

Sigismund Himself

++SCRIBERE NOVELLUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,415 posts
Looks great Matt :)

Here's a play with the Painter for the start of the White Scars.

Posted Image

Aurelius Rex

Aurelius Rex

++ GESTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,726 posts
@Dom - That's great! I would call that complete, and many thanks. :mellow:

In another threat - the Cedo Lounge thread IIRC - I asked to clarify if you were able to do a piece of original artwork for the Alt-Ultramarines (as the original artist has dropped off the board without trace) and I wanted to confirm that you were clear that I meant an original piece of artwork like those that Badaboom, FireLizard and Empty Bolter Clip have been doing in the other thread, rather than the painter artwork here. You certainly have the look down for the Alt-Ultramarines, but I wanted to make sure you knew I meant what I had asked about was not the painter image, as I assume you missed the question in the other thread.

@Matt (FM) - The addition of the scarabs on the chest and shoulderpad look very nice. Regarding the helmet, do you want to re-integrate the psychic helm crest onto the top of the helm? What are your thoughts about the eyeless look?

Good luck with finding a base image for the force staff... if this proves difficult, perhaps a force sword adapted from a powersword with extra power cables and runes would work?

@Matt (SH) - The White Scar looks like a good base to work from. Were you thinking gold tracery on pieces of the armour to bling him up, and the same sawtooth patterns on various places, but in light blue rather than red?

Oh, and the Slaanesh symbol on the belly-plate rather than the eight-pointed star of Chaos?

The end of the month is fast-approaching, but I wanted to say I really appreciate the effort and creativity you have all put into this project.

Regards,
John.
Posted Image

Ferrus Manus

Ferrus Manus

+LEXICANUM+

• + LEXICANIUM +
  • 2,705 posts
Yeah, I'm planning to add the head crest on at some point. I did find a good image for a Force Sword, but I'm not sure how to use it, as in the pose. Does anyone have any idea on that?

madscuzzy

madscuzzy

++ VEXILLUM PICTOR ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 2,656 posts
Yeah I read. Apologies... should have said something. Here is a preview of what I was working on...

Posted Image

Scuzworks
SL40K - My Models

Forum Rules

Badaboom

Badaboom

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + ADEPTUS DOMUS +
  • 330 posts
Hey, that looks pretty promising, good to see some UM at last. Looking forward to see it finished!

Sigismund Himself

Sigismund Himself

++SCRIBERE NOVELLUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,415 posts
Word Bearer nearing completion :P

Posted Image

World Eater with Axe, just needs some cleaning up and an image on the other shoulderpad.

Posted Image

Emperor's Children aquilified up. All done for him, I think.

Posted Image

Aurelius Rex

Aurelius Rex

++ GESTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,726 posts
@Matt (FM) - As to the pose - which I take to mean how it is held - could you base it on that of the painter chainsword?

@Dom - A great start on the Ultramarines - we have plenty of single figure poses but we have less of the bigger battle scenes. :) Also, it is nice to show that they are fighting the Tau, in case anyone thought they were still their friends after seeing the Tau-ish slant to the weapons and armour.

@Matt (SH) - The Word Bearer looks very good, and a nice job on the shoulderpad cloth. Risking a verbal kick, is it possible to have the shoulderpad cloth in white or black? If it is anything more than a colour pallete click then don't worry about it - I just wanted to differentiate the shoulder cloth colour from the tabard colour. You said it was nearly ready - what extra were you intending to add? The text on the helm and backpack?

The World Eater and his chain-axe looks very nice. A good adaption. :) You had the legion symbol on the old image, so shouldn't be difficult to adapt. What did you decide on the squad symbol? Arrow or something like the diamond (square on its point) to represent their designation?

The iconocraphy on the Emperor's Children marine looks great. I was going to suggest having the XVI on the kneepad referring to him coming from the 16th Gand Company - was that your intention? The aquila on the shoulderpad is appropriately prominently displayed. The only thing is that the white on the edge bleeds into the gridline background. Would it be appropriate to give a very thin line to differentiate where the aquila ends and the background starts?

I know this painter doesn't have any weapon packages on it, but is it possible to add some weapons - even something simple like a bolt pistol and/or chainsword so he isn't unarmed?

Excellent work, guys!

Regards,
John.
Posted Image

Sigismund Himself

Sigismund Himself

++SCRIBERE NOVELLUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,415 posts
EC Complete. It's just a bit too hard to add a weapon on this guy John (mainly due to the differences in shading), especially if I want to get the WS marine done on time unfortunately :unsure: the 16 was indeed for the 16th Grand Company but it could also easily be a squad marking.
Posted Image

Word Bearer complete. I tried some text on the helmet but it didn't work particularly well. Managed to colour in that shoulder clothe as well.
Posted Image

World Eater done as well. Added diamond as squad marking and the axe looks a little better around the edges.
Posted Image

Some of these look sharper in Photoshop so I can send the original files to Paul (or whoever needs them) should we want higher quality for the Imprint.

Ferrus Manus

Ferrus Manus

+LEXICANUM+

• + LEXICANIUM +
  • 2,705 posts
I'd say this guy was pretty much done to:
Posted Image

@ Sig, great stuff mate.

Aurelius Rex

Aurelius Rex

++ GESTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,726 posts
That's brilliant! Four more of the of the painters are completed! Many thanks to you both. :)

I will go through the original post and update things this afternoon, as well as check to see what is still on the to do list.

Regarding the image files, if you could send them to Paul or me so we have them available then that would be ideal, but I think that the size they will appear in the e-zine, the quality you have here would be just fine. :)
Posted Image

Ferrus Manus

Ferrus Manus

+LEXICANUM+

• + LEXICANIUM +
  • 2,705 posts
Glad you like it, John. :) I've just e-mailed you with the image attached.

Aurelius Rex

Aurelius Rex

++ GESTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,726 posts
Thanks for the e-mailed image, Matt.

I have collated the images into the original post, and I have to say that they look amazing, and will really add to the professional feel of the Legio Imprint.

What remains to be done:

@Matt (SH):
1. Completing the White Scar marine is the biggest thing.
2. Have you had any thoughts about a plague sword for the Blood Angel? It may be too late for this - in which case I wouldn't want to spoil things with a botch job.
3. Don't worry about the Space Wolf leg thing unless you really have nothing better to do. :cuss

@Matt (FM):
1. Looking closely at the force weapon there is a quite noticable white line around it - and in particular between the leaves of the staff head - where you would expect to see the red of the leg behind. Is it possible to tidy up these small niggles?
2. Is it possible to add a 'File no.' tag (followed by something like 40TS7U or something) to the top left corner in the same way that the others have got?

@Dom:
1. The gridlines behind the Blood Angel painter image are messed up - Is it possible to re-format them?
2. Is it possible to add a 'File no.' tag (followed by something like N8BA13 or something) to the top left corner in the same way that the others have got?
Posted Image

Sigismund Himself

Sigismund Himself

++SCRIBERE NOVELLUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,415 posts
Unfortunately my computer with Photoshop has decided it doesn't want to work this afternoon. So it looks like it will need a visit to the repairers :) If you need an image by the 31st, someone else may need to have a shot. Though if you leave a gap in the Legio's layout of the WS article, I can probably have one done by the 15th of April at the latest (depends on when the computer gets put in/given back).

Ferrus Manus

Ferrus Manus

+LEXICANUM+

• + LEXICANIUM +
  • 2,705 posts

@Matt (FM):
1. Looking closely at the force weapon there is a quite noticable white line around it - and in particular between the leaves of the staff head - where you would expect to see the red of the leg behind. Is it possible to tidy up these small niggles?
2. Is it possible to add a 'File no.' tag (followed by something like 40TS7U or something) to the top left corner in the same way that the others have got?

I'll get right on it.

Aurelius Rex

Aurelius Rex

++ GESTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,726 posts
@Matt (SH) - Very sorry to hear that! I shall see if anyone else can step in on the White Scars, and if all else fails, I will ask Paul to add in a placeholder until the 15th. :D

@Matt (FM) - Many thanks, and good luck with the coursework.
Posted Image

Ferrus Manus

Ferrus Manus

+LEXICANUM+

• + LEXICANIUM +
  • 2,705 posts
Thanks, John.

Here's the final image. I'll e-mail it to you, unless you have any major issues with it.
Posted Image

Aurelius Rex

Aurelius Rex

++ GESTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,726 posts
That's great, Matt. Thanks a lot. :D

I have contacted Dom concerning the White Scars painter and he has very kindly offered to step in. :) Many thanks, Dom. :wacko:

To speed things up I have tried to pull together the info on the Alternate, Slaaneshi-devoted sons of Jaghatai Khan. If I have missed or misunderstood anything then shout out.

The White Scars follow Slaanesh mostly in its aquisitive / greed aspect, so their armour is bedecked with gold edging and filigree... they outdo gangster rappers for their love of ugly and garish bling. They still are predominantly bike based - Matt tried a standard chaos marine for the painter mock-up below, although I heard talk of a bike painter image somewhere in the archives. :lol: I don't know if a bike painter image would work or be doable, (with the marine astride the bike or standing next to it) but it would certainly be eyecatching!

Rather than the red 'sawtooth' effect that the normal White Scars have, the Dornian Heresy ones could have a more slaaneshi colour like pastel pink, light blue or the colour that everyone associates with Slaanesh via the Emperor's Children - purple!

Below is a quote from my first response to Matt's initial painter idea:

Posted Image

Have Slaaneshi ice blue elements to replace the traditional red slashes. They would also be highly ornamented, given their aquisitive nature and love of bling. Perhaps gold tracery on pieces of the armour to bling him up, and the Norm-WS sawtooth patterns on various places, but in light blue rather than red?

Oh, and the Slaanesh symbol on the belly-plate rather than the eight-pointed star of Chaos?

Does that give you any ideas, Dom?
Posted Image