Sisters of Battle Falling to Chaos?

Semnos

Quick question. I see many instances of the Astartes falling to Chaos. (Thus we have Chaos Space Marine Legions... duh.) However, I was curious. Is there any official fluff detailing the corruption of a Sister of Battle, or a group of them, and then fighting for the Ruinous Powers?

Thanks for looking and responding.

I don't have access to my library at the moment to check for the titles, but some of the black library books do detail such things. However, it is a somewhat contentious issue to many sister players, most of whom like our older fluff about only one sister ever falling to chaos, and that was directly by Slaanesh.

The trouble with fallen sisters, is that everyone models theirs to be Slaaneshi. This makes a lot of players (incl me) think you are a pervert.

Well, we have the god of carnal lust on one side, and these high and mighty nuns on the other, now what would be cool here I wonder? cogs whir

I don't have access to my library at the moment to check for the titles, but some of the black library books do detail such things. However, it is a somewhat contentious issue to many sister players, most of whom like our older fluff about only one sister ever falling to chaos, and that was directly by Slaanesh.
Heh heh heh, well I believe we may be clear of one particular Sisters player who very much, ahem, chastised any and all for even thinking those kinds of thoughts... but she's not been seen around these parts for some time so I think we're free to talk.

As it is there's not a lot of fluff relating to sisters anyway, a few scant morsels but nothing extensive so I reckon that there's a good chance that some have fallen to the dark side over the years, it's just the records have been edited to ensure the secrets don't get out.

The trouble with fallen sisters, is that everyone models theirs to be Slaaneshi. This makes a lot of players (incl me) think you are a pervert.

Well, we have the god of carnal lust on one side, and these high and mighty nuns on the other, now what would be cool here I wonder? cogs whir

Thing is falling nuns (as apposed to flying nuns) has been a well explored issue throughout history and isn't something unusual. Ken Russell's 'The Devils' is a good example of such a theme (not for those easily offended though!).

Keep in mind in official 40K cannon in all of recorded history there has been only one single sister who has ever fallen to Chaos, and I believe she fell to Khorne (don't quote me on that though). It's possible, but you may get a few raised eyebrows :P

Edit: yes as Armoured Wing has pointed out the Sisters do keep that fact under serious hush hush. That's the only instance we have to go off of though, the single incident.

It does seem like a lot of the people who use Slaanesh Sisters use the concept as an excuse to make an entire army full of fetish fuel and nudity. It tends to bug people who like to see a more respectful treatment of the only female army in 40k than seeing them turned into drivel material for 13 year olds.

That said, a reasonable version of Chaos sisters wouldn't bother me. There's even ways you could run such an army without contradicting existing fluff about only one sister ever falling; it is certainly plausible that some Chaos warleader might decide to create his own twisted version of the Sisters, for example.

It does seem like a lot of the people who use Slaanesh Sisters use the concept as an excuse to make an entire army full of fetish fuel and nudity. It tends to bug people who like to see a more respectful treatment of the only female army in 40k than seeing them turned into drivel material for 13 year olds.

While I certainly sympathize with this position, have you actually seen the official models and artwork? GW has pretty much already done the fetish/bondage thing. I mean most of the time their armor looks like it's just painted on. Also Sisters Repentia and Mistress...um yeah.

(Side note: It's also worth remembering that Slaanesh is the the of pleasure and excess, not just sex. I'm not familiar with any detailed info on the fallen Sister, so it's entirely possible she fell for non-sexytime reasons. For example, perhaps she got in the habit of using hallucinogenic drugs or nitro-chem inhalers right before going into battle. Heck maybe she was just waaaaaay too into paintings and music.)

While I certainly sympathize with this position, have you actually seen the official models and artwork? GW has pretty much already done the fetish/bondage thing. I mean most of the time their armor looks like it's just painted on. Also Sisters Repentia and Mistress...um yeah.

GW is not a perfect company. Still, compared to some of the ideas you see for how a Slaanesh sisters army would look, GW is downright prudish.

(Side note: It's also worth remembering that Slaanesh is the the of pleasure and excess, not just sex.)

Lots of people forget that.

Miriael Sabathiel in the 2nd Edition codex was the only Sister recognized as having willingly fallen to Chaos, Slaanesh to be specific. There are other incidents in various novels and such of other Sisters fighting alongside cultists as well as being under the sway of daemons. The Sisters, while strong of will due to their faith, are not immune to psychics or daemons. Daemons and psychics can destroy their mind and the former can take over the Sister's body.

The Sisters Repentia ARE the Sisters who have fallen in some fashion to the lures of chaos, heresy, etc. They recognize that they have failed in some way and they know that atonement will only be gained by their death. Sisters have the equivalent of cyanide/suicide implements in their suits to prevent any 'incidents' from occurring if they should fall into enemy hands.

Have more Sisters gone fully to Chaos? Certainly. Recorded cases? Not a chance. The Inquisition would never allow anything to taint the outward appearance of the Emperor's Daughters. They are a light in the dark for the Imperial citizen.

The Sisters Repentia ARE the Sisters who have fallen in some fashion to the lures of chaos, heresy, etc.

Very incorrect; fluff makes it quite clear that Repentia still are and always have been loyal followers of the Imperial Cult. There are no second chances for heretics and worshippers of chaos.

Repentia are largely made up of sisters who have either violated minor rules of their orders (breaking major ones nets the death penalty) or somehow failed on the battlefield (like retreating in the face of overwhelming odds instead of fighting to the death). There are also some sisters who join the Repentia voluntarily, since they believe it allows them to achieve a state of grace.

The Sisters Repentia ARE the Sisters who have fallen in some fashion to the lures of chaos, heresy, etc.

Perhaps my wording is not fully accurate and a bit harsh. I don't mean Sisters who go "Praise Nurgle, what a glorious pestilence!", but the Sisters who failed to live up to their code. Curtailing chaos instead of living by order. Having lapses of judgement and thinking not of the Emperor but of them self. A Sister whose foot paused at the threshold of damnation without taking the step. They are only human.

It is true that some Sisters join the Repentia in a desire to free themselves completely to the Emperor.

The following statement comes from the Codex: Sisters of Battle 2nd edition: "A sign of the Sisters strength is the fact that in their entire history only a single sister, Miriael Sabathiel, has fallen to the lure of Chaos. How Miriael fell is unknown, only that she was turned from the Emperor's light to Slaanesh worship, and now serves as one of the prince of chaos' greatest warriors."

However this is clearly contradicted by the Graphic novel Daemonifuge in which a Sister was seduced by a Navigator (who had been corrupted by a daemonic servant of Slaanesh) and several Sisters were completely corrupted by a Keeper of Secrets, a greater Daemon of Slaanesh. The novel "Cain's Last Stand", It is also stated that an entire Mission of Sisters were seen engaging Imperial forces with Chaos cultists, Cain is also confronted by two sisters under Daemon influence.

From this, it would seem that fallen SOBs is possible.

It seems to me that there are multiple sources here that are describing sisters falling. If you want it, go with it, but make sure its damn solid fluff your doing with and not poorly written smut.

The reason why I was asking was because I was considering creating a fallen Sisters of Battle and Chaos Space Marine chapter combined. However, not fully knowing the fluff, and being new to the game mechanics, I'm not sure if it's plausible.

Its plausible. You need to ask yourself why they're working together? Why would stone-cold killers work along side religious zealots that had a change in faith? For example, The Nephilim work with the Devadasi because the Devadasi are ordained oracles of Slaanesh. They assist in sorercerous rituals and the summoning of daemons. The Nephilim in turn use the Devadasi to infiltrate Imperial worlds and establish Slaaneshi cults to help weaken the Imperial yoke before the initial planetary assualt.

Except the fluff says differently. Get over it, fanboy.

All the fluff on large numbers of defecting SoBs comes from the Black Library books, which are rather notorious for sometimes having a very loose relationship with official fluff. If fact, as I recall it has even been officially stated that Black Library books don't try to be completely accurate to the 40k setting if the author feels that changes, modifications, additions, or deletions from existing fluff will make for a better story. Meanwhile, "Only one Sister has ever fallen to Chaos" comes straight from the Codex, basically the highest level of canon there is.

Official GW fluff > Black Library books.

Have you looked at space marines? Those are the true 'drivel material' of a 13 year old. The 'Nuns with Guns' are just a poor offshoot, when they ran out of creativity to make new alien races ;)

Alright, lets please keep this topic from becomming a spot to debate other totally seperate topics to the original poster's question. I think we can sum it up and say "It's possible, however you may antagonize a few folks who have firm beliefs (valid or not) about the issue."

My recommendation is if you want to do it, go for it! There is precedent for fallen Sister(s), I'd advise figuring out the overall fluff for your particular Chaos warband and work them in nicely. If you have a good plausible story most folks will say "Right on, sweet looking models, you wanna set up terrain or roll for it?" and not worry about it. :woot:

Archived