Come fellow Word Bearers

LorgarXVII17

For me my interest in the Word Bearers and chaos started with the Dark Apostle series. I really enjoyed the depth of the characters and the books showed me that just because you're chaos doesn't mean you're full on insane. I like that my bad guys have some self control and can make a plan to take down the Imperium.

I am surprised and glad that there are so many Word Bearers here!

Since there are so many of us I was curious to ask what first got you into the Word Bearers?

For me, it was the representation of the Word Bearers in Daemon World (I thought that Ben Counter's vision of the legion was far more appealing and evocative than Ant Reynolds'). From there it was a logical evolution to read the various background pieces, and to fall in love with what is probably the best Chapter/ Legion shoulderpiece

in the game today.

I first got into the Word Bearers years ago, I think in 3rd edition. I loved their color scheme, their background, and their fanatical faith in the dark gods. I have since slaughtered many armies with them. Oh, and reading the Dark Apostle books got me back into the Word Bearers, whereas before I read them I was doing the Space Wolves. I still play and continue to add to both armies.

Anyone interested could copy the list and add sources/pages to it, and it could grow in this thread. It would be nice to make a complete one, don't you think? Any true fanatics out here?
There is more in the sticky, particularly the literature index.

The sticky is really great! I'll add those sources into here if you don't mind. If any other sources should come up in this thread maybe they could be brought into the sticky as well. What do you think?

* White Dwarf no 270 (Index Astartes: Word Bearers): pages 50-57.

Full article also published in "Index Astartes: IV".

Also in Chapter Approved III (I think it was) there's a two-page spread of how to paint Word Bearers.

Do you, or anyone else, know the differences between the full article in Index Astartes IV and the one published in WD? Is it almost the same, or is it much more?

Do you, or anyone else, know the differences between the full article in Index Astartes IV and the one published in WD? Is it almost the same, or is it much more?

Both are the full article AFAIK.

Just pointing out that there's a much easier place to find it as well since the IA are still in print while the White Dwarf is not :D

TDA

Just pointing out that there's a much easier place to find it as well since the IA are still in print while the White Dwarf is not :lol:

TDA

Alright, that's good. :D

I have high expectations on this book though, which I think is really needed in the Horus heresy series:

The First Heretic

November is so far away!

Just pointing out that there's a much easier place to find it as well since the IA are still in print while the White Dwarf is not :lol:

TDA

Alright, that's good. :D

I have high expectations on this book though, which I think is really needed in the Horus heresy series:

The First Heretic

November is so far away!

Feels pretty close to me.

Hail Dark Brethren,

My chaos army currently consists of Word Bearers and Iron Warriors. Check out my flikr page to reveal their glory:

chaotic flikr page

I am particularly proud of my Daemon Prince; Arioch, Lord of the 7 Darks (any Elric fans out there...?) I wanted a Chaos undivided legion at the centre of my force, I didn't want Black Legion as I thought that would be too obvious.....and I becam thus ensnared.

Hope you like, and comment on, my minis.

Saw your link Prophet, and I read all the good words contained.. well thought out and structured to say the least.

If anyone is interested I do have my blog... check my sig, has anyone else notice that a lot of Word Bearers players are on the forums now?

Makes my little black heart proud. :P

Take care,

Grim

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings fellow bearers of the word.

After seeing some of the word bearer armies on BaC, i decided to make an account to upload pictures of the 19th Host of Borkhal the blessed. ive played WBs on and off for several years, but now they are my one dedicated force.

[...] i decided to make an account to upload pictures of the 19th Host of Borkhal the blessed. ive played WBs on and off for several years, but now they are my one dedicated force.

That is the true way of playing Word Bearers! Hope to see some pictures soon...

well I was thinking about converting/repainting my black legionnaires to a Word bearers force..

Eversince reading Dark Apostle (and the following novels.. I'm hoping there's more to come) I'm really getting interested..

They are portrayed as I thought word bearers would be.. fanatical but not mindless....

Altough my black legion could end up as Night lords as well since I've read ADB's novel, soul hunter...

He's writing a Word bearer novel too, so I could end up with word bearers in the end afterall

well I was thinking about converting/repainting my black legionnaires to a Word bearers force..

Eversince reading Dark Apostle (and the following novels.. I'm hoping there's more to come) I'm really getting interested..

They are portrayed as I thought word bearers would be.. fanatical but not mindless....

Altough my black legion could end up as Night lords as well since I've read ADB's novel, soul hunter...

He's writing a Word bearer novel too, so I could end up with word bearers in the end afterall

Here was my thought process to choosing Word Bearers.

1: I knew I wanted a first founding legion.

2: Had to be Undivided. Thousand Sons, World Eaters, Death Guard and Emperor's Children are out.

3: Playstyle - Night Lords and Alpha Legion seem like they would be hard to play in a "fluffy" manner. The rules just don't allow for the sort of tactics they normally use. Iron Warriors are out because their style is too similar to guard, which I already have.

4: So at this point it's between Black Legion and Word Bearers. And to me, BL is just so... generic. Know what I mean? Bearers win out by far on the flavor side of things.

(Although there are times when I'm painting that I wish I had gone Iron Warriors. Full-on metallics seems much simpler than all the red!)

Here was my thought process to choosing Word Bearers.

1: I knew I wanted a first founding legion.

2: Had to be Undivided. Thousand Sons, World Eaters, Death Guard and Emperor's Children are out.

3: Playstyle - Night Lords and Alpha Legion seem like they would be hard to play in a "fluffy" manner. The rules just don't allow for the sort of tactics they normally use. Iron Warriors are out because their style is too similar to guard, which I already have.

4: So at this point it's between Black Legion and Word Bearers. And to me, BL is just so... generic. Know what I mean? Bearers win out by far on the flavor side of things.

(Although there are times when I'm painting that I wish I had gone Iron Warriors. Full-on metallics seems much simpler than all the red!)

Wow. That sounds very much like me..... Tell me, were you adopted :sweat: ?

Although in my case it was a split between Word Bearers and Alphas. I was just going by the fluff, and sneaky marines and religious zealots both sounded appealing.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone used the Space Wolves codex for a count-as Word Bearers? I just thought of a quick list.

HQ: Sagas could be used to represent a powerful sermon. Leaders of the Pack rule allows you to flood your HQ with priests.

Wolf Lord = Head Apostle

Wolf Priest = Dark Apostle

Elites: You would be able to use Wolf Guard attached to your Troop choices with a power weapon to represent more Apostle Initiates within the ranks. Lone Wolves could be considered Dark Apostles elevated to Dark Saints driven by an unholy mission.

Wolf Guard = Initiate Apostle

Lone Wolves = Dark Saints

Troops: Grey Hunters as your standard Word Bearer marines and then Blood Claws with reduced WS/BS as your Word Bearer cultists.

Grey Hunter = Word Bearers

Blood Claws = Word Bearer Cultist

Blood Claws = Word Bearer Cultist

Fast Attack: Fenrisian wolves could be considered lesser demons summoned. One of the Wolf Priests/Dark Apostles could be given a Saga of Wolfkin making all your demons leadership 7 and initiative 5.

Just something that I thought of while reading. Comments/criticism?

Finally put up some pictures in my army blog.

Dread

Apostle.

Possessed.

still to go.

10 man coterie.

5 man coterie (W.I.P)

Spawn.

Dead ultrasmurfs

have a look-see and tell me what you think :)

Greetings, Brothers!

I've finally spat on my oaths and pledges and have joined the righteous path of the true faith! But I come to a fork in the road. Indeed, brothers, I have prayed and meditated on this but I can not yet find a solution! My words bearers, you see? are led by a loyalist-turned-traitor chaplain of the Iron Snakes(Guilliman's lapdogs, all! *spits*). Now I have the rough idea of how this came to be and I shall lay it down for you in dot points below, but first, just how likely do you think it would be for a loyalist chaplain to be corrupted so? their role is to watch for said corruption and guide his brothers spiritually surely they'd rather die than become pawns of that which they most oppose? Would the Word Bearers really take up the task of breaking an Imperial chaplain? wouldn't they just kill him and nail his corpse, rib cage spread open for all to see, to the front of their Dark Apostle's Land Raider?

Anyway, dot points!

• It is the 34th millennium, the IS are engaged on some crusade(I'll make one up) and are engaged in a system war with a word bearer host. Battle carries to the stronghold world the WBs are using, world wide ritual is underway to make it a daemon world IS arrive but too late, WHOLE population commits ritual suicide and then BAM! DAEMONS! IS pull back with a fighting retreat but a chaplain and some of his initiates are cut off and surrounded last stand the stuff of legends ensures.
  • IS mourn the chaplains loss greatly and curse the WBs with fierce oaths of vengeance, as you do. now, every 100 years hence on the anniversary of that fateful battle the tale of Ephialtes the Pure(hurr, cwutididthar?) is retold and the chapter mourns.
  • It is on one such festival of mourning that the IS chapter monastery begins receiving communiques and requests for aid, this isn't out of the ordinary after all the Snakes are tasked to watch over the reff stars cluster, all perfectly normal. A particularly urgent plea from the Braun system is received, Word Bearers, the Word Bearers have returned!
  • similar messages are received from all over the cluster and the IS are hard pressed to respond, some are false alarms, decoys meant to throw the snakes off course, some come from already conquered worlds turned to mere ashes as an insult to the snakes and their lineage. Eventually reports of chaos marines bearing an insulting mockery of the Iron Snakes iconography in the Braun system stirs the chapter master into immediate action, mustering 3 companies worth of Snakes they head to Braun II.
  • The Iron Snakes make landing on Braun II and set about scourging, purging and all those other lovely space marine things, now, they are confronted with the traitor astartes who bear their symbol at the head of the word bearer host, now we come to the big reveal, Ephialtes didn't die all those long millennia ago, the skulls hung from his armour, those of his initiates, they certainly did, but not the good chaplain.

And this is where I am now, now my current idea to explain this is that Ephialtes and his initiates fought their last stand but were overwhelmed and captured, through the long millennia he was being broken by the Word Bearers on their world in the maelstrom, and when he finally did crack, they made him kill the few surviving initiates to cement his loyalty to his new legion. Now I'm having issues with this, would that actually happen? wouldn't they, as I said above, just kill him and nail his corpse to their dark apostle's land raider?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Personally I can't see something like this happening fluff wise. While I'm sure the sons of Lorgar would rejoice in breaking any Loyalist, I believe that he would never be given Dark Apostle status. In my mind the Word Bearers wouldn't allow an outsider into the Legion. They are far too conservative for that.

In the end, however, it is your army. Do whatever you wnat as long as you have fun!

49th Host reporting in.

As far as my interest in the Word Bearers it was the old 3.5 codex and its description of them. Sadly my slow hobbying (and lack of a good paycheck) that kept me from using them as I wanted to (or starting that well for that matter). My first model is my pa da which is a poorly converted Chaplain with some chaos shoulder pads. I'm looking at remaking him. Though my hobby skills haven't really improved. I have 2 other models for him so no biggie (both tda but built slightly differently).

My host will be painted using the awesome tutorial in the librarium. I've tested it and am very happy with how it came out so that is my mo for this. Now to get it all built so I can start painting.

Is it better to use gold trim for the Cult of the Anointed or to stick with silver? I think gold could look more ornate in this situation. Also any tips on how to convert that model would be a big help to me, I have access to a lot of extras off the Vehicle Accessory Sprue and all its fun. I am just not good at converting and modeling to an extent. So any tips would be appreciated.

Archived