Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

=][= SQUAD VOTING and DISCUSSION =][=

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

Poll: People's Choice Squad (565 member(s) have cast votes)

Please pick your favorite squad entry

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

Hialmar

Hialmar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 246 posts
  • Faction: Crimson Lions, Black Templars
The thing I find funny is the large disparity in the voting in this competition as to me there were several entries that were as equally as impressive as number 18 and yet the voting is tremendously lopsided. I was under the impression reading the rules that the entries were to be anonymous, but then I see comments, such as: "Nr 18 is awesome as always" and it certainly gives the impression that in fact at least some of the entries are not in fact anonymous.

This is not to say that Number 18 is not deserving of the votes but I cannot in all honesty say the spread between that entry and many of the others should be so great. For one thing, as a few people stated previously, the pictures are so small that even when enlarged you cannot really make out the detail on most entries, including number 18. This is just an observation and I liked number 18, although I think I voted for one of the other entries, but I was wondering if anyone had any theories on why such a wide margin would occur, especially in an area as subjective as art? I did not notice the same margin in the single miniature entry voting, so was this an abberation or something else entirely?

LunchBox

LunchBox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,250 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Storm
The reason being, to the best of my knowledge, is that quite a few Brothers displayed their work in the WIP or Showcase forums. This is how some people know who's work is who's. Just like the Golden Demons are "anonymous", yet in mingling throughout the onlookers, you can hear many of them say, "oh, I saw that one on CMON/Warseer/Bolter and Chainsword/etc...that's "Joe-Blow's" mini.

Now, as for the "large disparity", perhaps voters have seen all the entries, but seen a few of their favorites up close, lending their vote toward thise which they have seen the details of. Is that fair? Who knows. As has been stated, this year's competition is a test-bed...we'll see what works, and what doesn't, and adjust for the next.

As for art being subjective...it is, as much as it is not. Certain techniques can be applied, but in a painting competition, the execution thereof is on display as much as the finished product, if not more. Being a painter who has entered a competition or two, I can tell you the most creative, artistic, and innovative piece will fall short if it is not executed as well or better than a basic or standard "out of the box" miniature.

Lastly, the owner of number 18 in the squad competition is getting a beat-down in the single mini voting...and everyone has seen that one too; so if your insinuation was that of favoritism, it is lost.

Check out my Painted Minis

Let your anger be as a monkey in a pinata...hiding in the candy, hoping the children do not break through with a stick."

*If you send me a PM, and don't hear back from me in a week or so, please PM me again. I've been licking brushes too long, and sometimes I read the message but forget to repond.

Hialmar

Hialmar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 246 posts
  • Faction: Crimson Lions, Black Templars

... Now, as for the "large disparity", perhaps voters have seen all the entries, but seen a few of their favorites up close, lending their vote toward thise which they have seen the details of...

...Lastly, the owner of number 18 in the squad competition is getting a beat-down in the single mini voting...and everyone has seen that one too; so if your insinuation was that of favoritism, it is lost...

The large disparity I spoke of was not between a few models and the rest, I was talking of the disparity between the leading entry and the entry getting the next amount of votes, as it had more than double that of the second place choice when I first commented on this. It may well be that the models in question were either seen in person by a large number of voters or perhaps as you said, the work's progress was followed online leading to an appreciation of those particular models. As to whether it is fair or not, I really do not care. I was more curious about the statistical anomaly I saw in this vote as opposed to the other catgeories and wondered what had caused that large gap.

As to an insinuation, I was not intending there to be any at all. I asked a fairly straightforward question as to whether there was an abberation or if there was some other force at work here. I think that you could be right that people either saw these models as they were a WIP or saw them in person, giving them a greater appreciation for the models. As I did not realize that some of these were being viewed during the WIP stage, I could not figure out what I was missing seeing in the models, that a majority of the people appeared to be seeing. I was not suggesting some big conspiracy theory, just looking for a cause and effect.

In regard to art being subjective, I again do not care whether people are looking at the mastery of techniques used or if they are looking at a piece of art as a whole, human perception is inevitably subjective. I think most of the voters on here, and most viewers of any piece of art, are probably looking at any given art submitted, and then deciding they either like it or not and are then comparing it to every other piece submitted and making a determination, for whatever reason, as to which they like best. I think a small minority may look at shading techniques, color choice, brush strokes, etc... but for the rest of us I think we just make a decision based on what we think looks best without really knowing why that might be. This is probably the same reason why some guys may prefer blondes over brunettes or redheads, for example. All three types of women in the example may be equally gorgeous, but at the end of the day we all make a choice as to which we find most attractive. But if a buddy asks why you chose the blonde over the redhead we may not be able to tell him exactly, and he may think we were crazy for doing so, as he thought the other women were more attractive.

Ullanor Wolf

Ullanor Wolf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1 posts
  • Faction: Wolves of Ullanor
They were all brilliantly painted, but there can only be one winner and without any doubt in my mind, entry #7 it is, as it made my jaw drop the most.

Awesome work all who entered. ;)

Edited by Schultz, 08 February 2010 - 11:56 PM.

'Forward scum, storm the gates; redemption lies beyond. Do not stop, ever, until they lie dead or you do.' - Commissar Zeck, 2nd Tedepan Penal Legion.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users