Anyone still enjoy the origional DoW?

MasterOfDisaster

Hey...i'm probably going to get alot of people yelling at me (i do in real life as well >_<) but i was wondering if anyone here still enjoys the origional dawn of war dark crusade of soulstorm insted of dawn of war 2. I like the origional better for a few reasons.

1. I like controlling masses of units. having 2 predators, a land raider, 2 terminator squads, and a crap load of marines with 5 heavy bolters is fun. and yes!!! its unrealistic, but its still fun!

2. Dawn of War 2 doesn't have chaos or imperial guard. Yeah, the chaos expansion is coming out, i know...but i still didn't buy it because of no chaos or guard off the bat.

3. The turrets the techmarine builds in DoW2 should not take up food slots!!!!

4. Well this is for Dawn of War 2...i liked its campaign alot more than any of the dawn of war games.

I still play (and enjoy) DoW, but then again, I've not yet played DoW2.

Sadly, with a lack of human players to play against it, it's just me skirmishing vs the CPU. That got boring awhile ago, so I installed the Skirmish AI. Unfortunately, at the higher levels, the only way to beat the :D is to rush the enemy base immediately, which works ~75% of the time, but makes for bloody boring games.

Also, when the CPU is playing as Tau, it heavily abuses the fact that it doesn't actually have a fog of war (many Tau units can actually shoot farther than they can normally see, the idea being to use other units as spotters), which is incredibly annoying.

I still play! It's nice because you can have this Apocalypse feeling when you play with 3 allies against 4 enemies! Not only that, I really like the blood ravens and the imperial guard in these games, altough DoW 2 does have the BR it doesnt have IG.

I love the first one. Marines had by far the best tactics in it though, servo-skull in their base, 2 deep striking termy squads, 3 deep striking tac/GK squads, and a rhino rush with maxed out characters. Gets pretty epic, had an 8-man terminator veteran squad take on 3 armies worth of dudes and not lose ONE of them.

Dark Crusade will always remain my fave out the series. All thanks to another mod: Annihilation mod. Shadowsword Titanicus anyone? :devil: The FoK mod is pretty good as well but the game in general was always fun.

DoW2 makes you work more and as for army sizes & units, well it falls down ;) If there ever was a mod to make it to the original DoW style of play I'd be all over DoW2 for hours

I still play DOW, inlcuding a trip back to the original every once in a while. I like the feel of a RTS with the larger armies and ability to play with allies against the computer. DOW2 is alright, but I haven't played it enough to really get into it yet.

Dark Crusade is still one of my favorite "pick up and play" games on my computer, I never got the hang of playing the Tau or Imperial Guard but every other race in that game is a blast to play.

I've also come to respect the fact that unlike DoW II, I can just play Dark Crusade without having to wonder if I'm going to have to sit through a 15 minute Steam update followed by a Microsoft Live update.

I still play Dark Crusade. Me and my firends often get together for destruction on an epic scale (sadly, I'm the only Space Marine player). I prefer the multiplayer in DoW. DoW II has a much better campaign, though a little repetitive.

I wish DoW had Tyranids though, they are amazing! I might one day collect a miniatures army of them.

Hey...i'm probably going to get alot of people yelling at me (i do in real life as well >_<) but i was wondering if anyone here still enjoys the origional dawn of war dark crusade of soulstorm insted of dawn of war 2. I like the origional better for a few reasons.

I kind of did not like Boss fight in DoWII's demo and the fights though somewhat funny not look as W40K to me.

So I still play Dark Crusade sommetimes and even managed to win on Tau ,ordinaril I like defensive doctrine

and factions with turrets.

Soulstorm is nowhere to be found though nowdays I keep hope to locate and buy one.

Very much so. I tried DoW 2 during the beta and didn't like it at all, I felt that they changed the game so drastically it couldn't really be called a sequel to DoW any more. So, since that game didn't pan out for me, I still play (and love) DoW. It'll always be a classic game for me.

I feel all your guys pains...another thing that bugs me about this game is that there's no rushes you have to defend against. 4 predators can be swatted away like flies in a matter of minutes, hardly doing any damage to the enemy base! This makes for a 45 minute 1v1 game with extreme rage. That's why i enjoyed just getting the mods for DoWDC, becuase its like a real rts game, where there are unfair unts, but counters for everything (stupuid dakka guns killing my predators *cries*) and all they did with marines was downsize them and make them alot more powerfull. while this remains true to the fluff, it makes for a very boring game (4 man marine squads?!) However, i do enjoy the last stand, and have successfully finished the 20th wave (hooray i love the chaos) if anyone wants to play dow dc with me, my username is sumgy (pronounced: some guy) and i'm usually on saturdays and sundays most of the day (random times)

Well, I really like Dark Crusade. However, my computer is so slow, it takes half an hour between battles loading for soulstorm. That's not even getting to the point of playing it in the first place.

DOWII I had to play on a freinds computer. However, it is very fun. I dislike that it gets repetitive, and that I generally take the same list every time, and that the Avatar JUST WON"T DIE!!!!!! But other than that, it is extremely entertaining and leads to some very exciting, narrative moments (like when I defended the Angel Gate by the skin of my teeth!)

I play alot of Inquisition Daemonhunt Mod for Dark Crusade when I can find opponents. The only army that it feels utterly unbalanced against is Necrons (Whats that? All of your units wither under psycannons and your low troop count means Exterminatus hits like a truck? Thats too bad)

I also play Codex Edition mod for DoW2, but my computer is not quite optimal for DoW2 so I lose alot due to lag and inability to react to situations fast enough (its a fluid mod where a second can mean the end for you in the long haul)

I thoroughly enjoyed the original DoW, and the FoK mod hugely expands the gameplay but some how, I still enjoy DoW2 better (even though I'm much worse at it.)

DoW2 sucks because of unit spamming but more than makes up for it with super rewarding tactical battles.

Plus, I like the non-epic scale... It feels more personal.

Side note: psyched for Chaos Rising!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, speaking of mods made me think of something: is there a mod for DoW 2 that makes it more like DoW? Really, all I want is DoW with prettier graphics, so my issues would probably go away if there's a mod which gives decent-sized squads, and higher population cap overall.

Still loving the Original DoW's, many marines kicking butt. I wanted DoW 2 to be more like Company of Heroes I guess, or just DoW with the cover mechanics of Company of Heroes and the pretty graphics of DoW2. Fair play to them for trying something new though.

Archived