Oklahoma, USA

Brother_Kaelgrim

My buddies and I are from Edmond, OK. Always looking to game. Any events at Top Deck going on soon? Also, do they have a website/forum?

Haha, I live in Edmond, OK too ;)

I also used to live in Yukon, and still go there occassionally.

Bannus, are the Battlefields place, is that the one that had the cards that everytime you would purchase so much they would clip out a discount? My dad did that and got the closing discount price and bought his friend a 'cron Monolith for 10 dollars.

Edited by Telanicus

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, I didn't think anyone would start this topic.

Stillwater, Knight Arms Incorporated. Tournaments on every other statuary (first and third), feel free to stop by. Know some of the guys from TopDeck, good people. Who was this store that was messing with them? We had that problem for a bit, some damage is undoable.

@ Bannus: I miss Battlefields so much. They had the coolest stuff, used to go down there with everyone on weekdays we don't have tournaments.

Gearhead, what happened at Knights Arms? I do think that New World and Top Deck are the only to partnership level stores in the state. I didn't realize how many game stores are around until I did some googling. Do you hold any fantasy tournaments there or is it just 40k? Also for those who play at their lgs regularly can we get some websites? Maybe we can get gaming groups going more state wide? I would like to do some tournaments at other places too.

Store Competition/Drama happened. It started when I was in sixth grade. I'm now a sophmore in college. It took a long time to get all this old man drama settled so I can play games without worrying about grudges older than me, and I'll be damned if I'll see it start up again. It's a very long story, drop by when Micheal's around and He'll tell you, I was a little young.

EDIT: Basically, a man polarized the gaming community for profit, and it pissed us off. Stilly's not big enough for that kind of thing; It can't be an "us and them" thing because that'll kill both stores, watched it happen. If KA couldn't bottle and run so lean we'd've been swallowed up too, and there'd be 0 stores in Stillwater.

Fantasy isn't very popular here. That doesn't mean it's not played, but 40k/Magic/Pathfinder are much more popular. I know some of the guys have armies (Beastmen/Brettonians/Emprie/Chaos/Vampires/Skaven off my head), bu they haven't seen play in a while. If you can get some people up here we'll play the hell out of some tournaments; the college kids in Stillwater go nuts for the sci-fi, not sure why fantasy has never picked up. Might be beacuse Pathfinder is SUPER popular, and that's how a lot of people get their swords and sorcery fix (myself included) Sort answer; we don't have fantasy tournaments due to a lack of interest, if we can get that interest then we'll happily do them, probably on the third Saturday of the month (currently a second 40k slot).

Edited by Gearhead

Cool, I may just have to make a road trip and venture out to see all these other stores. I have been trying to collect other peoples events to post to our forums, I know the guys around our store like tournaments and big games so they may be inclined to drive out to see other crowds of players.

• 4 months later...
I am getting started I live in Ardmore and in the process of building a table on my garage, I really don't know any players down this way I need to start going north to play once me and my son get our armies going.

• 4 weeks later...

OK folks a new Games workshop is opening this Weekend in OKlahoma. Saturday is grand opening they have three comps going. Painting, Conversion, and finally table top game. Here is the addy:

13801 N. Penn

Suite F

Oklahoma City

OK

US

Edited by Nexus25

OK folks a new Games workshop is opening this Weekend in OKlahoma. Saturday is grand opening they have three comps going. Painting, Conversion, and finally table top game. Here is the addy:

13801 N. Penn

Suite F

Oklahoma City

OK

US

Sweet! I'll come check it out after I get off work.

OK. I came, I saw......

What a bust!

Opning day and they were already closed by 6pm! They did provide me a calendar though. Their hours surprised me:

They don't open til 1pm most days - but they are closed by 8pm (closed for lunch from 4-4:30pm and closed on Mondays and Tuesdays). They do open by Noon on Saturday, but close by 6pm on Sunday.

So if you are a working man and are willing to skip dinner, you might be able to spend a little time there during the week before closing time. My work weeks end on Saturday, so that day is largely out for me. So Sunday afternoons are the only window of opportunity for me.

Overall, a very underwhelming experience. :(

I may be able to find some time tomorrow to try a visit again. We'll see...........

OK. I came, I saw......

What a bust!

Opning day and they were already closed by 6pm! They did provide me a calendar though. Their hours surprised me:

They don't open til 1pm most days - but they are closed by 8pm (closed for lunch from 4-4:30pm and closed on Mondays and Tuesdays). They do open by Noon on Saturday, but close by 6pm on Sunday.

So if you are a working man and are willing to skip dinner, you might be able to spend a little time there during the week before closing time. My work weeks end on Saturday, so that day is largely out for me. So Sunday afternoons are the only window of opportunity for me.

Overall, a very underwhelming experience. :)

I may be able to find some time tomorrow to try a visit again. We'll see...........

The store is not set up as a tournament place just yet. If more people start showing interest in doing that I HIGHLY suggest emailing GW customer support and tell them you really like the store and wish it had a day or so set aside to just play and get more people into/familiar with the game. So far as the hours the store is The First GW store in all of Oklahoma so they are not going to be a 9-9 store till more people show them a profit or demand is there for that. Remember GW is still a business not just a building to hold your tables.

I was there on Saturday and loved the range of stuff they had and was shown on their computer that if they did not have it they could order it from GW.com and it would be shipped to their store. No shipping charge of other fees for this cool option, you order they call when it comes in.

The only thing I found was the idiots who proceded to make fans and hobbiest like myself look horrible with the never ending "Why can I not get Forge World here?","What do you mean I can not bring my Apoc Army here and play all day, your a GW store."," Why did this or that get put into/exculuded from the new rules?" most of these were asked in mildly annoying to almost hostile tones. I felt so bad for the woman who was the new manager and had to take the crap from people when she would have to say things like " I dont know" or "We are not allowed to." Almost forgot the few socially awkward/rejects who when the woman who runs the store would greet them and offer to help them would just look at her and walk over to her trainer and ask to be helped instead of letting her because apparently "she must not have known what to do right?" Bull I was so close to telling theses rejects to be a man and answer the lady or atleast have the balls to tell her you didn't know how to act around not digitized/animed women.

This ends my rant as I have diverged from my original topic. I closing OKC guys we need to step up and make this store a success, if we show GW there is a strong fan base and profit in OKC then they will give us more options and cool offerings at the store.

• 3 weeks later...

There are a handful of us in Sallisaw. I do all my shopping in Fort Smith, but it has been a long time since I have actually played a game, and even then it is usually at my or a friend's house as opposed to at a store. Our group has been mostly into the modelling and painting side of the hobby for a while now.

I am curious though, the small size of the community means we probably know each other already...

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

OK. I came, I saw......

What a bust!

Overall, a very underwhelming experience. :sad:

So... it's been a few years but that game store on Pen has better hours now, lol. Not sure if you knew that now or not... >.>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Looks like I will be moving to OK near OKC in the relatively near future.

So regarding OKC and the surrounding areas.

What is the gaming scene/community like?

Good places to play?

I have so many armies and models and WIPs i can theoretically be down for just about anything. I am building a relatively portable table and a very portable table and all kinds of mudular terrain, so once I am established I will be down for in-home games as well. So no store hours or restrictions to worry about then.

I have lots of other things to ask but they are all off topic, so anyone who is willing to talk about life and work around OKC hit me in the PMs please. This is an important life move for me.

Edited by Canadian_F_H

• 7 months later...

Hey y'all. I am in Orklahoma City for the week for family reasons. I intend to move out here within a year if possible. For now I am just doing research into local and regional Warhammer groups.

For anybody else looking I've found 2 Facebook groups.

Central Oklahoma Warhammer Crew

https://www.facebook.com/groups/374225882636274/?ref=share

And...

Warhammer GHQ Oklahoma

https://www.facebook.com/groups/192360695345437/?ref=share

Seams to be a decent sized community here, and multiple places to game. GHQ = Game Headquarters. It is a pretty big shop and venue. They boast a 4000+ square foot gaming area.