1250 Marines vs Nids

waaanial00

Marine list

I wont retype it you will find it Here

Tyranid List - I wasnt really paying attention to the unit sizes so they might be a bit off

Tyranid Prime (Warrior IC thingy)

Boneswords, scything Talons

2 Zonethropes

18 (ish) Hormagaunts

16 (ish) Genestealers

8 Bases of Ripper Swarms

4 Warriors

Scything Talons, Rending Claws

4 weird floating mine things

2 Carnifexes

No ranged weapons

Mawloc

Board setup

6 x 4 board, 3 building structures (just South West of centre, on the East, North West), Some trees to the West and to the North, a crater complex to the south and a low wall to the West of the Northern Trees. (I will post some pictures later which may make this a little easier to picture).

Game and deployment

Annihilation and Pitched battle (same as last week). I won the roll off and I chose to deploy first.

Marine Deployment

I decided to "bunker up" with as much as I could. I deployed in the centre of the board close to my board edge (knowing that if the Mawloc wanted to deepstrike on me he would risk scattering off). I placed my Thunderfire Cannon in the centre with my Missile Combat Squad behind it. My Sternguard and Libby in Rhino deloyed to the right of them, with my Lascannon Dread to the right of that.

To the left of my Thunderfire I deployed my rifleman dread and to the left of them (with slight LOS blocking from the Western Building structure) was my Typhoons. I deployed my flamer combat squad in Rhino on the other side of building to delay any flank attack that might happen.

I declared I would be infiltrating my Scout Snipers.

Nid Deployment

Started off deploying his weird mine things in the crater complex about 6" from my Thunderfire.

My opponent deployed his Rippers in the North Tree clump with his hormagaunts deployed behind. To the left he deployed his Warriors and Leader Warrior behind the low wall with his two Carnifex behind. Infront and to the left he placed his Zonethropes between the low wall and the tree patch.

He placed his Genestealers and Mawloc into reserve, outflanking and deepstriking respectively.

Infiltrators

I set up my Snipers on the 3rd level of the East Building with a good LOS to everything.

Marine turn 1

Opponent failed to sieze the initiative.

I moved my Speeders out from behind the shadow of the building but nothing else really moved apart from my Lascannon Dread which moved to get a better angle on the Zonethropes.

Shooting sees me kill his funny looking mine things (didnt like the look of them) with my Sternguard shooting from the top hatch and my Rhino's storm bolter.

My Lascannon Dread puts two wounds on the Zonethropes but both are saved by their invul. My missile from the combat squad puts a single wound on the lead Carnifex. Then combined fire from the Typhoons and Rifleman Dread kills one Warrior outright and puts 1 wound on another.

The Thunderfire Cannon then targets one of the two hormagaunts I can see. 4 Templates later and I have killed 4 hormagaunts with Airburst rounds and put 2 wounds onto a Ripper base. Sniper fire from the scouts put another wound on the warriors.

Nid turn 1

All nids roll forwards making impressive gains with their run moves. The Warrior dude splits from the squad for some reason. The warriors push forwards with the rest. The Zonethropes move towards my lines.

With nothing in range the game continues.

Marine turn 2

I push my Lascannon dread back to my lines and push my Rhino towards the Zonethropes, the Typhoons just shuffle around a bit.

Shooting sees 1 Carnifex brought down and the Warriors brought down to 1. The Zonethropes take a wound. Importantly I forget to fire with my thunderfire cannon

Nid turn 2

Neither his Mawloc nor his Genestealers arrive, much to his dismay and my relief (rolls 3+ for both).

He continues to push his forces forwards. His zonethropes move into cover near my Combat squads Rhino (not in range to fire so he ran). The Carnifexes move fowards as well as the Warriors, forming a conga line (See pic, very funny).

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm183/waaanial00/DSCN0728.jpg

Marine turn 3

I push my sternguards Rhino up a bit and disembark them near to the craters (they are now within Rapid fire range of the rippers). My Typhoons shift up a little. The lascannon dread moves out a bit and so does the rifleman.

In the shooting round I manage to put 2 wounds onto the other Fex, I manage to wound 1 of the warriors. I manage to kill 2 bases with shooting from my sternguard. Across the board I manage to kill 1 Zonethrope with shooting from my Combat squad.

Not great as I still havent scored a killpoint!

Nid turn 3

Both the Mawloc and the Genestealers come on. The Mawloc aims to deepstrike onto my Sternguard (I have allowed this in my club until the official FAQ) but scatters onto my Missile Combat Squad and Thunderfire Cannon. Result is that the Techmarine dies, 3 Marines get killed and the other two run off the board. Thats 2 killpoints to the nid player with 1 deepstrike.

Before picture

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm183/waaanial00/DSCN0730.jpg

After Picture (whats missing guys?)

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm183/waaanial00/DSCN0731.jpg

The genestealers outflank on my right but due to poor run moves are unable to get into the building.

The rest of the nids push towards my front line, his warrior dude joins up with the hormagaunts but is unable to get within charge range of anything. The other warrior skulks around behind the West Building.

Shooting sees the Zonethrope nuke 4 of my Marines with a template weapon. I pass my leadership test with my Powerfist duede though and stay in the fight.

The rippers were JUST out of range of assaulting my Sternguard.

Random pic of him moving his units

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm183/waaanial00/DSCN0732.jpg

Marine turn 4

Oh crap theres a dirty great big Mawloc where my firebase used to be! I shift my forces around a bit. I push my Sternguard back to get close to the Mawloc (and away from the rest of the nids), I push my Librarian towards the Ripper swarms. I bring my Lascannon Dread away from the Mawloc turning its guns on it.

I move my Rifleman away a little and position so that I can pivot to shoot at either the carnifex or the Mawloc. The Typhoons point at the Carnifex. My power Fist survivor pushes towards the Zonethrope.

Shooting sees the Rifleman, Lascannon Dread and Sternguard take the Mawlock down to 3 wounds. However I do manage to kill the carnifex with my Typhoons. I try to use Avenger on the Rippers but because I am within the "Shadow of the Warp" I roll 12 total and cannot concentrate on flaming the gribblies. Sniper fire takes out 2 Hormagaunts.

I charge the Zonethrope (just getting into range) and kill him good with my power fist.

Pic of what the board looked like beofre I killed the carnifex (note the 2 Typhoon shooting dice prepared to kill it)

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm183/waaanial00/DSCN0733.jpg

Nid turn 4

He moves his steelers a very depressing 4" total in move through cover and run so they are still not close enough to charge my Snipers.

He moves his Hormagaunts towards my Rhino, his rippers towards my Librarian and his Mawloc towards my Sternguard. His single Warrior pushes towards my Power Fist dude.

No shooting again so...

His Hormagaunts (well the Warrior dude) explodes my Rhino, This kills 5 of his Hormagaunts, 1 wound (killing off a base of Rippers) and downs 1 of my Sternguard.

My librarian causes 2 wounds on the rippers without return (no retreat wounds finishes off the wounded base) Leaving about 4 at this point.

His Mawloc kills 2 of my Sternguard and I force 2 wounds onto him leaving only a single wound.

Marine turn 5

I move my scouts across so that I can target the Genestealers with all of my pistols. I move my Power Fist survivor towards the single warrior. My Typhoons reposition so that they can get a better angle on the Warrior and his now single Hormagaunt friend.

My Rifleman moves towards the rippers ready to charge in.

Shooting sees the Hormagaunt and Warrior cease to exist. My Power Fist survivor pops the warrior with two rather lucky boltgun shots.

I kill 3 Genestealers with my pistols (whoop!).

I manage to charge the rippers with my Dread. The Librarian lands a single wound which he tries to force weapon, I roll double 6 and take a wound (typical, 2 powers rolled for and 12 each time) he is however alive. The rippers fail to wound my librarian and my dread crushes a base. They run and I catch them.

And here is what it looked like before I started killing the rippers in cc

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm183/waaanial00/DSCN0734.jpg

Nid turn 5

He now only has the genestealers, who charge and kill 6 of my scouts however I did manage to down 2 before they struck. They run and are caught killing 3 of the other 4.

We rolled for turn 6 and it carried on

turn 6

In summary I couldnt be bothered to move anything. He killed my scouts then massacred far enough so that he could be within charge range of my Librarian in his turn. Unsurprisingly he murdered him and was left sitting in a crater with all the rest of my guns pointing at him.

End result

Nids - 4

Marines - 8

Though if it had gone on it would have likely been a massacre.

I definitely feel that I did well. Forgetting to fire my Thunderfire on turn 2 might have had a little impact on the game but not that much. His army just didnt have any guns to shoot me and I had lots of guns to shoot him. Again the Typhoons came through, the scouts were OK but Nids being fearless their use was limited somewhat again their BS3 is the thing which brings them down. Sternguard did amazing again.

Surprisingly my opponent was most scared of my Thunderfire cannon, which is odd because it was my Typhoons that killed most of his units and a single combat squad ultimately accounted for 2 kill points of his. I think I played well.

My biggest take away from the whole experience is how small the Nid army was, those big beasties can get very expensive. Had I been facing a more hoard army I think I would have been pushed harder, however I had the luxury of time and long ranged weapons to attack the big beasties whilst having enough other weapons to tackle the little uns later in the game.

By the way if some of the details dont add up thats because of my rubbish memory. I only took limited photos because I forgot to take photos of the first couple of turns and my camera batteries had run out by the end so I was unable to take photos of the end.

Enjoy

Wan

Well that sounded fairly one-sided. I myself am working towards a nid army with little in the way of shooting and this has not exactly encouraged me! :lol:

To be fair though, your list had plenty of vehicles in it which will always stump nid armies. I can't believe it took him so long to get across the board though. In practice, my hormagaunts usually get to charge in turn 2 and always by turn 3. Was he using fleet? Also, aside from the 3 heavy support choices there wasn't a lot to fear from his list. Too few models in my opinion.

Still, well done for seizing the victory! :)

Yeah I was a little surprised by how slow his nids were. He was rolling for run at the same time as moving (its easier that way) but I am not sure if he was adding it all up correctly. He did surprise me by moving slightly diaginally at one point (his Warriors moved sideways turn 1 which completely baffled me).

It has to be said that I didnt actually move much from the board edge and the Buildings provided me a natural funnel which his bugs had to move through cover to get to me (even with 3 D6 you are still running the risk of rolling low).

With me not moving his rippers had to cover at least 30" before getting close to me which even moving at his max would mean he couldnt get into assault by (as you suggested) turn 3. All that moving through cover quite slowed him down it seems (as I said his rippers were very unlucky not to get the charge in on my Sternguard on turn 3). Hormagaunts not having a 12" charge still means a 3rd turn assault on spearhead, if they had been closer than the Rippers they would have been toast earlier, those bases take quite the punishment.

Still I think that an assault nid force can work if it employs distraction units, a carnifex in a spore would be a very big distraction. Thinking back if the Mawloc were to have turned up turn 2 the game would have been a very different story. Hell if the genestealers had been infiltrated the game would have been massively different so I think the army picked would have done much better if played differently. Still thats not what happened in this instance so I will have to find another Bug player to test my mettle against.

What people think of my list? No real challenge to AV14 would spell doom methinks, I am spare player at a 1250 tournament (which ramps up to 1750 after two games) and I am thinking of just running this as my list.

Wan

Yeah you can give yourself a bit more time by staying right at the back of the table. (bit cowardly though :) )

I don't think I could justify taking anything av14 at 1250pts. Just too many points piled into something that can die from one shot. Maybe stick a multimelta on one of your typhoons? Only ten points and they are fast. I ALWAYS run a MM LS. They are well worth their cost. I'd also say you probably need another troops choice next too.

As shown by the departure of my ML combat squad after the Mawloc jumped in, sticking at the back of the board has as many disadvantages as it does advantages. I think if this were an objective capturing mission I would have been forced to be more agressive, however I lucked out and got the mission I would be able to control best.

Thanks for the comments, I could always dump a MM in the tactical squad (people keep pointing out that I underestimate this option). My 1750 variant is a massive improvement but I suppose I could shuffle the elements around to make the 1250 one a little more effective.

Wan

???? you fired snipers at gaunts when here was a honking big mawloc to shoot at??? shame on you!

(out of LOS perhaps).

i managed to get a game myself last night, but my dice rolling curse continues.. next week i play a black templar force at 2000 points... i dont suppose you can come and collect your bad luck troll mate?

???? you fired snipers at gaunts when here was a honking big mawloc to shoot at??? shame on you!

(out of LOS perhaps).

Well (looking at the ground sheepishly) I did think that the combined fire of Sternguard, Lascannon Dread and Rifleman dread would be able to take out the Mawloc. That and I didnt want the Warrior main dude to think he got away with existing for a single turn. Ok I was stupid, I had complete LOS but I chose to shoot at the damn hormagaunts for some reason that I cant remember, doughnut I am :D

i managed to get a game myself last night, but my dice rolling curse continues.. next week i play a black templar force at 2000 points... i dont suppose you can come and collect your bad luck troll mate?

Send him back on the train, the secret is to listen to "The Laughing Gnome" by David Bowie and he gets all confused and takes a train to Eastborne :) Anyone who gets this reference is old too.

Sorry to hear the bad luck continues, I have managed to hit a winning steak somehow ever since I put my Typhoons together, even when I dont play them. Though of course the bad luck just manifests itself in other ways.

Wan

Archived