Space Marine Painter Update

I need to reiterate ... I run my own company and have two daughters and a wife, all of which come before my hobby time. Then I have hobby time which comes before programming time.

So me doing work on programming projects is at the bottom of the pile.

@ Dark Link : Sorry to say, the project either lives or dies when I say it does ... no one else :)

Truth be told there has been progress on the project ... that's why you can see things like this

mk4final.jpg

Thats the full set of Mk4 armour generated by wargear, however it is a long way from public use yet.

Patience mon ami ...

It will be ready when its ready ... and not before.

I need to reiterate ... I run my own company and have two daughters and a wife, all of which come before my hobby time. Then I have hobby time which comes before programming time.

So me doing work on programming projects is at the bottom of the pile.

@ Dark Link : Sorry to say, the project either lives or dies when I say it does ... no one else :)

Truth be told there has been progress on the project ... that's why you can see things like this

mk4final.jpg

Thats the full set of Mk4 armour generated by wargear, however it is a long way from public use yet.

Patience mon ami ...

It will be ready when its ready ... and not before.

Glad to hear you're doing well then, and not to worry, I'm sure we can all be patient.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and that looks really good too. Though I never really understood why so many people loved the Mark Four armor. I always preferred Mark Seven and Eight myself.

Not to sound arrogant and almighty and stuff, but Argos' and I and all those who have helped on the painter are doing it out of goodwill to all, at our own leisure time. Argos' original vision was just to have a good enough painter that all of us can benefit from, and he has come up with an amazing engine to achieve this... and achieve this we technically already have. The wargear is just an expansion to it, rather than the program itself, and truth be told, it probably takes more work to make it good than the basic program. As of right now, we do have a number of painters already in service, and their basic goals have been met, which have far exceeded anything out there (sans the 3d painter in DOW2... which still uses our painter images). We do intend to come up with more stuff... and there are loads of things in the pipeline, but we do have our lives, and other priorities as well... so we will do what we can, when we can. :)

Well you're achieving that so far, especially in the Power Armoured division.

Anyway, take your time and get it finished when you feel is best ;) The picky guys can easily wait for their fancy gear for now, I'm just greatful we have something to use.

I don't think we want or deserve such praise. All we want is for BnC to be the best forum out there.

Heh, humility well done. I think that deserves more praise than the painter itself, but then again I don't spend as much time as you guys do working on it, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about <_<

I apologise for being so rash, and I do appreciate the hard work you guys are putting in to make this the most friendly and reputable PA community I've ever seen.

@Argos: I do apologise. I recently started a programming course in school, and until then, never realised just how long it takes to write a segment of code, even for a simple program never mind one as complex as this.

@Madscuzzy: I guess I kind of made that statement to try and kickstart the mods into action, as we hadn't heard anything for over five months. I'll never act like that again. How does the old mantra go?

"Patience is a virtue,

Find it if you can.

Always in a woman,

Never in a rabid fan."

At least, I think that's it :)

• 2 weeks later...
Out of curiosity, is all the wargear artwork done and just needs to be programmed? Or are you still doing artwork? Is there a list of all the wargear for the next version? I really want to find out if I can take more or less anything in the space marine armory (No more photo shopping crozius arcanum or lightning claws). Are there plans for terminator wargear?

The dream would be to have everything in the armoury available as wargear, although whether that is feasible remains to be seen. There has been a lot of artwork already done for the painter, and for the others, but there is still a lot more to go to encompass the entire range.

As revealed, for the PA versions, we have most of the basic weaponary and some special weapons on the way. The different mks will be available too, sans mk1.

As for the termi side, lightning claws have been made. As to whether the wargear add-on will be available... ahem... only time will tell...

We have lots of artwork done ... to be honest madscuzzy went all out and did a lot of really good stuff for the painters and wargear.

The current holding point is due to me, I am rewriting the wargear application from the ground up to do it "right" this time. It kind of grew out of control last time and although on the surface looked ok, actually it had grown incredibly entangled internally. I have this time written the basic painter to be "wargear" aware from the beginning (rather than bolted on afterwards) and wargear is working as can be seen here: -

mk4final.jpg

The problem is that that image was generated by these codes which I had to create MANUALLY!

bpe=7B3370&bpj=CC9621&bp=7B3370&bpc=7B3370&hdt=7B3370&hdm=7B3370&hdl=7B3370&ey=44FF00&er=F7B628&pip=454545&nk=7B3370&ch=7B3370&eg=F7B628&sk=F7B628&abs=7B3370&bt=7B3370&cod=FFFFFF

&ull=7B3370&lk=7B3370&lll=7B3370&lft=7B3370&url=FFFFFF&rk=FFFFFF&lrl=FFFFFF&rft=FFFFFF&slt=FFFFFF&sli=FFFFFF&srt=7B3370&sri=7B3370&ula=FFFFFF&lel=FFFFFF&lla=FFFFFF&lw=FFFFFF&lh=FFFFFF&ura=7B3370

&rel=7B3370&rla=7B3370&rw=7B3370&rh=7B3370&gr=52545E&rb=52545E&nkl=FFFFFF&chestl=FFFFFF&abdl=FFFFFF&hdtl=FFFFFF&hdml=FFFFFF&hdll=FFFFFF&btl=FFFFFF&codl=7B3370&erl=F7B628&bpl=FFFFFF

&bpjl=CC9621&bpel=FFFFFF&bpcl=FFFFFF&abdc=333332&bg=FFFFFF&grid=TRUE&f25010=1&f21010=1&f05010=1&f09010=1&f15010=1&f17010=1&f18000=0&f1a010=1&f05011=F7B628&f09011=F7B628&f17011=F7B628

&f15011=F7B628&f17012=F7B628&f17013=F7B628&f17014=F7B628&f17015=F7B628&f17016=F7B628&f15012=F7B628

Wargear this time round has a unique code which represents each piece. Broken down into: -

Height (to solve overlap issues)

Location (also for overlapping issues)

Number of subsections (for painting complex wargear in multiple colours)

and finally a unique code tagged onto the end allowing over a thousand different wargear items per area.

So the code "f25010" represents all the above information while "f25011=FFFFFF" would tell the first paintable area of that item to be coloured white and so on (up to 15 different paintable areas per item).

So with each item able to be painted multiple different colours I need to create the wargear app to allow each item to be painted individually ... and then placed on the figure when finished.

As you can imagine that's many times more complex than the original wargear app ... requiring a huge amount of effort.

Then add in the fact I own and run my own company, have two children and a lovely wife and want some playing time for the hobby ... I am sure you can see the problem is one of time.

Once the wargear interface has been written ... I can then work my way through programming each wargear item to work ... another long process another time issue.

However enough of the problems ... progress is slow .. but does actually happen and the layout of the new wargear app has been discussed with the alpha test team to gather ideas.

Oh just for your amusement ... f25010 is actually the Mk4 shoulderpad :tu:

Archived