Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

=][= GOLDEN BOLTER WINNERS =][=

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

Kurgan the Lurker

Kurgan the Lurker

++ INQUISITUS EXTERMINATI ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 18,582 posts
GOLDEN BOLTER WINNERS AND FINAL RESULTS

First off a big thanks to everyone who entered. 180+ entries was far more than we were expecting for a first time event and you guys-n-gals crushed the previous record of 80+ from the old Legio contest.

So kudos to all of you for making it a success and ensuring that we will at least be doing it again for another year.

Obviously we will be taking your feedback, feedback from the judges and our own observations to make improvements to the entire process. Some things we will be looking to change:

Squad pictures for one will be revamped as in the end we felt the squad pictures did put those entries at a disadvantage compared to other categories.
Voting for People's Choice. As you know from reading the comments thread we discovered some shenanigans in the voting and we will definitely be revamping that at several levels (including a new version of the software with greater tools).
Categories - for the most part we were happy with the categories but will be making some adjustments and possibly adding some.

If you would like to make comments or suggestions for next time you can PM myself or you can post in the comments thread.

We would like to thank the Judges for giving their time and effort in picking our overall winners.

Thanks to -Q- and Kommissar Kai for creating the trophies for us. Thanks also to DragonForge who has taken on the mantle of casting the purity seals for us after Argos ran into some troubles with his home-brew-setup. Please note that an issue in regards to shipping has come up with the bolt pistol trophy and we are working to resolve that. Full details will be provided to the overall winner and we apologize for the delay.

We'd also like to thank all the sponsors for contributing to the prize pool for this event. Some of you have expressed interest in contributing to next years event as well and we will of course be more than happy to discuss that with you all.

We also owe an apology to two people:

TheDarker
GirlPainting

They did send their entries in on time but in the crush of entries there at the end I missed them somehow and as such they were not part of the People's Choice voting. Naturally if they wish to post their entries in the Hall of Honor they can do so.

So let's get on to the winners announcements.

Just to give you a quick run down of how the posts look:

First Cut -- This means one of the judges selected your entry as one of the 5 entries they believe should be discussed for placing.
Honorbale Mention -- Not only did you get First Cut but you also received at least 1 placing vote. However you didn't receive enough placing votes to make the top 3.
Placing Entry -- You made it through First Cut, Honorable Mention and you garnered enough placing votes to make the top 3 in your category.

You can click the name of each entry to be taken to that entries post in the various gallery threads.

For those that didn't place or get a random selection feel free to lay claim to your entry either in this thread or in the comments thread. You can of course also start up a thread in the Hall of Honor if you haven't done so already.

I will be contacting the winners via PM/Email to get your full details to pass on to the sponsors so you can collect your prizes.

Every contestant (whether you placed or not) will be getting an email from us with a special promo code from one of our sponsors. So if you placed or won a random prize you may wind up getting multiple emails from us in the next 48 hours or so.
The Cult of Orange -- None Can Withstand Our Color!
Duck Blind Miniatures - The website has been gone for a long time so I've put up a FaceBook page to show what photos I have left or may add in the future.
Duck Blind Minis IG - I do post on IG too but fair warning there are other things (mostly the gym) on here besides minis.
Kurgan's Twitter Feed
Kurgan's FaceBook Page

"And maybe the Traitor Legions would come to their senses, renounce the Ruinous Powers and return to the light of the Emperor." -- Ciaphis Cain on the likelihood of a Mawloc being scared off by a melta blast.

Selling off the PILE OF SHAME! Links to my ebay page for everything that is going up over the next 10 days:
Kurgan's Pile of Shame auctions

Kurgan the Lurker

Kurgan the Lurker

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 18,582 posts
Overall Winners

Overall winner, winner of the Slayer Pattern Bolt Pistol, a £100 gift certificate from Wayland Games and a $100 in resin bases from Dragon Forge Design:

DV8

Posted Image

2nd place overall, winner of a £50 gift certificate from Wayland Games:

TRANC

Posted Image

3rd place overall, winner of £25 gift certificate from Wayland Games:

LUNCHBOX

Posted Image
Duck Blind Miniatures - The website has been gone for a long time so I've put up a FaceBook page to show what photos I have left or may add in the future.
Duck Blind Minis IG - I do post on IG too but fair warning there are other things (mostly the gym) on here besides minis.
Kurgan's Twitter Feed
Kurgan's FaceBook Page

"And maybe the Traitor Legions would come to their senses, renounce the Ruinous Powers and return to the light of the Emperor." -- Ciaphis Cain on the likelihood of a Mawloc being scared off by a melta blast.

Selling off the PILE OF SHAME! Links to my ebay page for everything that is going up over the next 10 days:

Kurgan the Lurker

Kurgan the Lurker

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 18,582 posts
SINGLE MINI

FIRST CUT:

HONORABLE MENTION:

PLACING ENTRIES:

Placing entries receive a purity seal in their placing color.

FIRST PLACE: DV8

Posted Image

SECOND PLACE: Jah-Joshua

Posted Image

THIRD PLACE: Brother Ducarte

Posted Image
Kurgan's Twitter Feed
Kurgan's FaceBook Page

Kurgan the Lurker

Kurgan the Lurker

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 18,582 posts
SQUAD

FIRST CUT:

HONORABLE MENTION:

PLACING ENTRIES:

FIRST PLACE: LUNCHBOX

Posted Image

SECOND PLACE: JAH-JOSHUA

Posted Image

THIRD PLACE: FRED REED

Posted Image
Kurgan's Twitter Feed
Kurgan's FaceBook Page

Kurgan the Lurker

Kurgan the Lurker

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 18,582 posts
LARGE MODEL/VEHICLE

FIRST CUT:

HONORABLE MENTION:

PLACING ENTRIES

FIRST PLACE: TRANC

Posted Image

SECOND PLACE: GRIM TEEF

Posted Image

THIRD PLACE: IACTON QRUZE

Posted Image
Kurgan's Twitter Feed
Kurgan's FaceBook Page

Kurgan the Lurker

Kurgan the Lurker

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 18,582 posts
PEOPLE'S CHOICE

Winners receive a red purity seal denoting their People's Choice Category and a $50 Gift Certificate from TheWarstore.com.

Ok as you may know from the comments thread we locked on to some suspicious voting and were forced into looking into all votes and deciding what to do.

What we found was that in every category there were several entries with multiple votes. In most of the cases there just 1 or 2 extra votes that can be tied back to separate and regularly used accounts. These point to spouses, children, roommates voting for their friends and family and we initially were fine with this.

However there was an entry in one category that had at least 11 accounts created to vote for it and possibly another 4 (though those 4 that did vote for it we can't directly tie to the entrant as we can with the other 11).

So this put us in a bit of a bind. While all we said was that people had to be members of the forum to vote and didn't say folks couldn't have their friends and family vote for them it seems more than a little suspicious to have so many accounts created and voting in very short period of time and voting for the same entry. Excuses, reasons, what have you were offered for some of these accounts and we had to decide how to treat it.

Option 1: Disqualify every entry that had multiple votes from the same IP#. We chose not to do this as it seemed heavy handed.
Option 2: Those that we can tie directly to legit accounts we let go and those that we believe to be sock puppets be discounted, the entries DQ'd and the suspected cheater put on the rack of public humiliation. While this option may have been more cathartic it still wasn't something that we felt was fair in the long term as there was a chance that a legit entry with 1 or 2 extra votes would be unnecessarily labeled a cheat.
Option 3: Throw out ALL multi-IP votes and go with just the votes from single user accounts.

Option 3 is what we decided on. It still isn't a perfect option as we feel it still lets suspect accounts get away with something that we feel is cheating/unfair at least in the sense of not being DQ'd. As it stands now, none of the suspect accounts are winning a prize. However it also means we don't have to tar and feather every account that may have had legit votes from the same household/IP#.

In the end this only effected final voting results in the Large Model/Vehicle category. You won't see the actual poll results change as we can't edit a poll in that manner. However the final order of People's Choice for Large Model/Vehicle ends up as: 1st - 37, 2nd - 14, 3rd - 15

So People's Choice will definitely be going under the knife for revisions before the next Golden Bolter contest (which should start in Nov. 2010).

So onto the People's Choice winners:

SINGLE MINI: Jah-Joshua

Posted Image

SQUAD: LUNCHBOX

Posted Image

LARGE MODEL-VEHICLE: IACTON QRUZE

Posted Image
Kurgan's Twitter Feed
Kurgan's FaceBook Page

Kurgan the Lurker

Kurgan the Lurker

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 18,582 posts
RANDOM SELECTION WINNERS

Winner of a $50 Gift Certificate from Greenfield Games:
I AM LEGION

Posted Image

Winner of a random prize from Wayland Games -- in all the maelstrom of the contest wrap up I failed to get clarification of what this is exactly but soon as I find out I will update this post.
Jah-Joshua

Posted Image

The following five entries all receive a $20 Gift Certificate from Secret Weapon
ARCHHERETIC

Posted Image

SOLID_STUF

Posted Image

ILUMINDAO

Posted Image

Ullyssies0110

Posted Image

DEZARTFOX

Posted Image
Kurgan's Twitter Feed
Kurgan's FaceBook Page

Kurgan the Lurker

Kurgan the Lurker

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 18,582 posts
If you want to lay claim to your entry (as we obviously aren't going to name all 180+ in this thread) or wish to give a congrats to each other please do so in this thread.

If you have specific comments on the contest itself, please add those to the Comments thread.

If you wish to get direct feedback on your entry from your peers we'd recommend starting a thread in Hall of Honor.

If the judges are okay with it I will post their display names so you can PM them for notes on your entry but until I get the okay from them or not I will will refrain from posting their contact details.
Kurgan's Twitter Feed
Kurgan's FaceBook Page

Ferrata

Ferrata

++ PUNIO TRUCIDO ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 9,909 posts
Let me be one of the first to congratulate all the entrants, and especially the winner. Not being a painter myself, I was quite proud of my entry until I saw the quality of the majority of the models painter - needless to say, I am still looking for my jaw. Neither me nor the girlfriend could believe how much detail people managed to get onto some plastic that is so damn tiny. For all those with the skill, I am envious. I think a special mention should go to Jah-Joshua, two second place finishes is a pretty good achievement. :P

DV8

DV8

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,017 posts
Wow. I am genuinely shocked, and I just want to offer up my congratulations to everybody who entered. Win or lose there were quite a few gorgeous entries, and several who I thought would have beaten mine.

DV8
[center]
[color=silver][img=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/mybrain/Banner.jpg]
[url=http://www.spacewithinspace.net]Homepage[/url]
I no longer accept commissions. Please do not PM me requesting them.[/color][/center]

Iacton Qruze

Iacton Qruze

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 660 posts
I'm happy for the 2 in the large model who took 1st and 2nd from the judges. They were a couple of the entries that I felt really didn't get the support they deserved in the peoples' vote.

Good Job to all those who entered! :P

Brother Nihm

Brother Nihm

++ INTEMPESTA NOX ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 11,859 posts
Congratulations everyone on a very fine showing and in particular the winners. Well deserved.
Posted Image
My Blog | My Gallery | Call of Chaos: IV, V

slipshod

slipshod

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 27 posts
Congratulations to all the winners! It was well deserved!
I'm happy just to have made the first cut in one category (mine is number 24 in the large model-vehicle) especially considering I started painting when Black Reach came out and that Whirl Wind is my first try at painting a vehicle. To have it put next to the winners, however briefly, is an honor. You guys did amazing work!

My single mini and squad entries (#63 and 29 respectively) didn't make it even that far, but given my inexperience at painting and photographing, and the entries they were up against :blink: that's no surprise.
I'd like to thank the organizers for all the time and effort they put in, I'll definitely be participating next year! :D :D

jah-joshua

jah-joshua

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 356 posts
congrats to all the winners!!!

it is really heartbreaking that there are never enough winner slots for some of the great work that really deserve it...
there were some wonderful entries for this contest, and many or your ideas will promptly be plundered and reproduced in the future...

congrats to DV8, and Lunchbox for giving me the smackdown in our categories...
great painting from both of you...

i'm really shocked that the termie version of Ulrick the Slayer didn't place...
what a cool mini!!!

great job, everyone...

cheers
jah

Edited by jah-joshua, 22 February 2010 - 10:19 PM.

paint like ya got a pair!!!

available for commissions...

http://coolminiornot...artist/jahminis

https://www.facebook.com/jahminis

Hubernator

Hubernator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,634 posts
Congrats to the winners, very good stuff indeed :D

*very very jealous*

QUOTE (StrangeGuy @ Jan 28 2010, 02:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Jonny the Space Marine)
-Don't like Vampires. If they "sparkle" though, my wife and 2 daughters just may take up 40K!

Vampires don't sparkle!!!! *ragefilledheadexplosion*

Vostok3

Vostok3

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 124 posts
Thanks everyone for putting this together! I had a lot of fun and congrats to all the winners. Really, really looking forward to doing this again next year.

/prostrate

Chaplain Desmodus

Chaplain Desmodus

++ RELINQUO NEX ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,642 posts
Congratulations to all the winners, well deserved to say the least. :huh:

(I made first cut, yay me :))

Pig Of Sparta

Pig Of Sparta

++ VERRES LACONIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 1,584 posts
Congratulations to all who won!

For those who didn't already know my main entry was number 45 in the single mini category (this guy). I was kinda pleased with it before I saw the calibre of the competition. My large mini/vehicle and squad entries were last minute additions that I knew never stood a snowball's chance.

it is really heartbreaking that there are never enough winner slots for some of the great work that really deserve it...

You have no idea... I'm not saying my entry was 'great', maybe it was somewhere between 'table-top' and 'well painted' but nothing crushes your confidence like entering a competition with a mini that you've spent 3 months working on, which other people tell you looks good, thinking you might possibly have a slim chance of getting somewhere and achieving nothing.

Please, please understand that I'm not attacking the winners, they deserve every ounce of praise they get. I'm more berating myself for not doing better, and for thinking that I might have. On a positive note, thanks to Starks333 I have improved my painting skills by taking part in this competition, so I'll probably be back for the next one and who knows I might even make the 'first cut' :huh:.

Edited by Pig Of Sparta, 22 February 2010 - 09:09 PM.

[img=http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Master%20of%20the%20Armoury/200px-Crux_Terminatus-1-1.png][img=http://www.fortressoftheunforgiven.com/Img_CH00_08Awards_03_ETL_2012A.gif]

++[url=http://coolminiornot.com/artist/pig+of+sparta]My CoolMiniOrNot Gallery[/url]++ ++ [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/pigofsparta/sets/]My Flickr Photostream[/url]++ ++[url=http://styofpigs.blogspot.co.uk/]the pig's sty[/url]++ ++[url=http://s11.zetaboards.com/IBoH/index/]IBoH Forums[/url]++

Brother Ducarte

Brother Ducarte

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 24 posts
Congrats to everyone for a great event.

I'm pretty stoked to even have my entry come near to Jah-joshua's and DV8's entries. The level of detail in both your Ulrik and Salamander is outstanding and it's no surprise to me that you took out the top 2 spots in the category.

I'm surprised as well about the Termie Ulrik. I was sure it would place well above my entry.

Iacton Qruze

Iacton Qruze

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 660 posts
The important thing is the attempt. I spent a long time working on my Rune Priest for the single mini (entry 90) and at the end when I submitted him I thought he would do better than my dreadnought, but it became clear to me early on, that it just wasn't going to happen.

I'm still satisfied with what I did, and glad that I took the time and pushed myself on some new things.

LunchBox

LunchBox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,250 posts

Congratulations to all who won!

For those who didn't already know my main entry was number 45 in the single mini category (this guy). I was kinda pleased with it before I saw the calibre of the competition. My large mini/vehicle and squad entries were last minute additions that I knew never stood a snowball's chance.

You have no idea... I'm not saying my entry was 'great', maybe it was somewhere between 'table-top' and 'well painted' but nothing crushes your confidence like entering a competition with a mini that you've spent 3 months working on, which other people tell you looks good, thinking you might possibly have a slim chance of getting somewhere and achieving nothing.

Please, please understand that I'm not attacking the winners, they deserve every ounce of praise they get. I'm more berating myself for not doing better, and for thinking that I might have. On a positive note, thanks to Starks333 I have improved my painting skills by taking part in this competition, so I'll probably be back for the next one and who knows I might even make the 'first cut' :).

You achieved knowledge...which trumps the prizes.
Check out my Painted Minis

Let your anger be as a monkey in a pinata...hiding in the candy, hoping the children do not break through with a stick."

*If you send me a PM, and don't hear back from me in a week or so, please PM me again. I've been licking brushes too long, and sometimes I read the message but forget to repond.

ironbear

ironbear

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 208 posts
i dont get the IP thing as both myself and my missus (peachpaint) share a computer so therefore the ip address would be the same, does this mean i was DQ`d?
Help me learn to be a better painter, view, comment, critique

@

http://bearspainting....wordpress.com/

Ferrata

Ferrata

++ PUNIO TRUCIDO ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 9,909 posts
ironbear, from my understanding of how it was dealt with, using the following;

Option 3: Throw out ALL multi-IP votes and go with just the votes from single user accounts.

Your votes would have be discounted at the worst. I'm not sure how it would apply if you voted for different entries, but I will say at worst your votes would have been discounted, not your actual entry. Like Kurgan said, it isn't the most perfect method but it was the least unfair. Hope that clears things up for you :)

LunchBox

LunchBox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,250 posts
THANK YOU TO THE SPONSORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Check out my Painted Minis

Let your anger be as a monkey in a pinata...hiding in the candy, hoping the children do not break through with a stick."

*If you send me a PM, and don't hear back from me in a week or so, please PM me again. I've been licking brushes too long, and sometimes I read the message but forget to repond.

Joker

Joker

++ RIDICULUM PAUXILLUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 2,700 posts
Worthy choices by the judges, and no small task.

DV8's model is in a class of it's own.

Joker

gallery_3570_2095_14088.jpg