Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

=][= GOLDEN BOLTER WINNERS =][=

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

Iacton Qruze

Iacton Qruze

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 660 posts

THANK YOU TO THE SPONSORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That really is the most important thing, is thanks to the sponsors and the B&C staff. We couldn't have had this competition without all the hard work and swag they put forth. Thanks also to the judges for taking time out to decide the winners.

Thanks everyone! :cuss

Tranc

Tranc

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 462 posts
Wow! I won! I didn't think I would :cuss I voted for Iacton Qruze's Large Model myself, because I really loved the pitted weathering on that dreadnought. I've been trying to emulate that look on the tactical marine I'm currently working on, using all sorts of things (a spunge, hairspray + sand, what am I missing?)

Anyways, I was really disappointed by how my photos of that rhino turned out. (Both my girlfriend and I think it looks much better in real life ) I feel vindicated now that the month or two I spent working on it wasn't a complete waste :P

Thanks to our sponsors, the Bolterandchainsword organizers and our judges!!!

-Tranc

Ultramarines & Successor Chapters Blog:
gallery_37066_4287_24265.jpg

Army of Eataine: http://www.ulthuan.n...php?f=5&t=24671
Da Red Skullz: http://z3.invisionfr...showtopic=23224

StrayCatt

StrayCatt

++ ERRATUS FELES ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 945 posts
As one of the judges, I wanted to thank the entrants for making this such a tough job. The judging process was not fast, by any means, and that is a testimony to the quality of the entries.

Everyone should be proud of what they accomplished in preparing for and completing your entries, something I don't know that I would have been able to do.

-Adam

Iacton Qruze

Iacton Qruze

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 660 posts

Wow! I won! I didn't think I would ;) I voted for Iacton Qruze's Large Model myself, because I really loved the pitted weathering on that dreadnought. I've been trying to emulate that look on the tactical marine I'm currently working on, using all sorts of things (a spunge, hairspray + sand, what am I missing?)

Anyways, I was really disappointed by how my photos of that rhino turned out. (Both my girlfriend and I think it looks much better in real life ) I feel vindicated now that the month or two I spent working on it wasn't a complete waste :D

Thanks to our sponsors, the Bolterandchainsword organizers and our judges!!!

-Tranc

FWIW, I used a piece of blister pack foam and a W&N series 7 000 brush for my weathering. Keep at it. Less is more, especially with the smaller models. Your brush-fu is strong, so don't overdo it, or else people will think you're hiding sub-par paint skills. I had to use more than I would have normally in a few places to cover some more noticeable streaks in my wetblend that I didn't have time to keep working on... I finished that dread about an hour and a half before the cut off. :D

gil galed

gil galed

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,457 posts
Good job everyone one, It still astounds me the level of awesomeness some of you can paint to

~Gil ;)

Chaplain Lucifer

Chaplain Lucifer

++ RHETOR ORIENS ASTRUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 15,154 posts
Congratulations to the contestants for achieving such high quality entries. It was a pleasure to see so much creativity in both painting and converting.
very inspiring.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Brother 'Ussell

Brother 'Ussell

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 428 posts
Congrats guys, some great looking models there.

Kurgan the Lurker

Kurgan the Lurker

++ INQUISITUS EXTERMINATI ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 18,582 posts
Ok 2 emails went out this morning:

One to everyone that entered the contest. You may get this email more than once if you had more than 1 entry. This is for a special offer from our sponsor Secret Weapon.

The second email is going out to those who won a prize either through the judges choice, voting or random selection.

The Cult of Orange -- None Can Withstand Our Color!
Duck Blind Miniatures - The website has been gone for a long time so I've put up a FaceBook page to show what photos I have left or may add in the future.
Duck Blind Minis IG - I do post on IG too but fair warning there are other things (mostly the gym) on here besides minis.
Kurgan's Twitter Feed
Kurgan's FaceBook Page

"And maybe the Traitor Legions would come to their senses, renounce the Ruinous Powers and return to the light of the Emperor." -- Ciaphis Cain on the likelihood of a Mawloc being scared off by a melta blast.

Selling off the PILE OF SHAME! Links to my ebay page for everything that is going up over the next 10 days:
Kurgan's Pile of Shame auctions

Tomevans

Tomevans

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 399 posts
Congratualtions to everybody who won, especially to Ducarte's assault marine which is eye wateringly beautiful. It has inspired me to be as good as all of you guys (and girls) who entered and to try and push my painting on further. Bring on the next Golden Bolter.

Edited by Tomevans, 27 February 2010 - 11:33 PM.

Motto of the day 1: "All of the world's problems can be solved with high explosives" US Navy Seals
Motto of the day 2: "Who dares wins" The SAS
Dumb Britain
QUOTE (Steve Wright in the Afternoon, Radio Two)
Steve Wright: On this day in 1963, how did Valentina Tereshkova become famous?
Contestant: Was she the first woman to grow a potato?

QUOTE (The Big Ask, LBC)
Gary King: What is the largest carnivore that lives on the land?
Contestant: A Whale.

Boltman

Boltman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 890 posts
Amazing job guys! Congrats to finishing your entries, presenting them on time and sharing them with the community!

Of course, my hat to the winners, and a cheerful thank you to the organizer for all the hard work in making this happen!

A lot of very impressive entries, and some, even though they might not have been ranked, displayed a lot of ambition and guts in the sculpting and converting department.

It was an honor and a pleasure to have been part of the jury. Some of these models have inspired me, I think I should get back to painting after all :D

I look forward to next years turnout!
My tutorial on Magmatrax, Slayer Sword winner 2004
Help with NMM gold

Current project: Might try WHFB...

TheDarkApostle

TheDarkApostle

++ EXAUGURO OCULUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 3,145 posts
Amazing contest, and a shame I didn't get around to finishing anything up in time.

Hopefully I'll be having more thaa enough time to get something better out for the next one :D

TDA

Iacton Qruze

Iacton Qruze

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 660 posts
I was curious if anything ever happened regarding the trophies. Did that casting issue get sorted?

Kurgan the Lurker

Kurgan the Lurker

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 18,582 posts
Yes and the recasts should be taken care of here in the next few weeks. We'll post the pics up when it is all done.
Duck Blind Miniatures - The website has been gone for a long time so I've put up a FaceBook page to show what photos I have left or may add in the future.
Duck Blind Minis IG - I do post on IG too but fair warning there are other things (mostly the gym) on here besides minis.
Kurgan's Twitter Feed
Kurgan's FaceBook Page

"And maybe the Traitor Legions would come to their senses, renounce the Ruinous Powers and return to the light of the Emperor." -- Ciaphis Cain on the likelihood of a Mawloc being scared off by a melta blast.

Selling off the PILE OF SHAME! Links to my ebay page for everything that is going up over the next 10 days:

Iacton Qruze

Iacton Qruze

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 660 posts
Just wanted to follow up again. did I miss a secondary thread with the pics/info or anything? :)

Kurgan the Lurker

Kurgan the Lurker

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 18,582 posts
No we just ran into some issues that were being worked out. The purity seals issue has been resolved and about half of them are ready. The pistol is still stuck in England and we are working to resolve it.

Sucks I know having to wait so long but at least for the next GB we'll have all these kinks out of the way.
Kurgan's Twitter Feed
Kurgan's FaceBook Page

Iacton Qruze

Iacton Qruze

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 660 posts
No worries, although hopefully if need be I can change my mailing address with whomever sends out the trophies, since I may be somewhere else by the time they get finished and sent out.

Kurgan the Lurker

Kurgan the Lurker

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 18,582 posts
Oh we will be confirming all address material before anything gets dropped in the mail.
Kurgan's Twitter Feed
Kurgan's FaceBook Page

Tranc

Tranc

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 462 posts
Just an idea, but is it feasable to mail a bolter in pieces that didn't look anything ressembling a gun until it was reassembled on the other side of the pond?

Ultramarines & Successor Chapters Blog:
gallery_37066_4287_24265.jpg

Army of Eataine: http://www.ulthuan.n...php?f=5&t=24671
Da Red Skullz: http://z3.invisionfr...showtopic=23224

Kurgan the Lurker

Kurgan the Lurker

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 18,582 posts
Well the issue here was that it was all set up to be cast in metallic resin so cutting it apart would be problematic. We're looking into one last option (Argos should be getting to it first of next week) and if that works then things will go the way we want in the end (just late). If not then we'll look at some other option for the overall trophy.
Kurgan's Twitter Feed
Kurgan's FaceBook Page

Kurgan the Lurker

Kurgan the Lurker

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 18,582 posts
So I heard from Jeff today, last of the purity seals are being cast up today and we should be sending those out in the next 2 weeks.

Sadly the gun trophy issue is proving exceedingly problematic and the only way around it may involve having to cut in half :o

So we are taking one more stab at that this weekend.

More info as we get it.
Kurgan's Twitter Feed
Kurgan's FaceBook Page

jah-joshua

jah-joshua

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 356 posts
cool news, Kurgan...
i was wondering if i would get to see these before i leave the country...
end of September i'm moving back to Mexico, 'cause i just bought a surf shop down in Sayulita!!!

i'll be happy to get a look at the seals before they go in a box, gathering dust with the rest of my painting awards, in the back of my Mom's garage...
i really have to stop moving to a new country every year;)...

thanks for all your hard work, and effort...

cheers
jah

paint like ya got a pair!!!

available for commissions...

http://coolminiornot...artist/jahminis

https://www.facebook.com/jahminis

Kurgan the Lurker

Kurgan the Lurker

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 18,582 posts
Finally the seals are done. Between bad casts on first attempts (which resulted us in sending it to a pro to be done -- thanks Dragonforge!), changes to the original design (see first post in the contest thread and this pic) and then the challenges of getting the parchment right this has been a way way too long process in regards to the first trophies.

For that we apologize to the winners for having to wait 6 months for their trophies. Now that we have the kinks in the system worked out that won't happen for the next Golden Bolter (coming soon!).

So here are some pics of the finished trophies. Our goal was to have something that looked like an actual purity seal that you might see on the armor. So it has the pressed wax look and the whole "survived the war" look to the parchment. The seal itself is the same for everyone just done in different color resin and then washed to bring out the detail. The parchment portions all vary to the degree they were weathered so each seal trophy has a bit of uniqueness to it.

You can see a gold, silver, bronze and people's choice variants here. We also did a thank you version for the judges in green (not pictured).

Hope you guys like them.

Posted Image

and a close up on the seal so you can see some detail hopefully:
Posted Image
Kurgan's Twitter Feed
Kurgan's FaceBook Page

Brother Nihm

Brother Nihm

++ INTEMPESTA NOX ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 11,859 posts
It's a shame about the kinks but crud happens.

As for the end result, they're gorgeous and I hope that the winners will enjoy them.
Posted Image
My Blog | My Gallery | Call of Chaos: IV, V

Iacton Qruze

Iacton Qruze

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 660 posts
Just got mine in the mail today and they are AWESOME!

Well worth the wait.

Thanks again, and I look forward to competing again in the next one. B)

jah-joshua

jah-joshua

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 356 posts

Just got mine in the mail today and they are AWESOME!

Well worth the wait.

Thanks again, and I look forward to competing again in the next one. :lol:

me too!!!

thanks again...

cheers
jah

paint like ya got a pair!!!

available for commissions...

http://coolminiornot...artist/jahminis

https://www.facebook.com/jahminis