Chaos Rising

THQInsider

Chaos Rising, the expansion for DOWII, is due out on Friday.

Reviews have been going up, with fairly good scores:

Eurogamer gives 9/10: "Chaos Rising is a game of choices. Will you open a defensive gate by disabling its hard-to-reach power generators, or just kick the whole thing down and hang the consequences?"

The next two reviews include a minor spoiler about something that happens in the campaign, so if you'd prefer not to know, this is your warning..

GamesRadar gives the game a second 9/10: "Doing battle with the Chaos Space Marines is, at first, very much like fighting Space Marines… until they unleash the Bloodletters: tough-to-slay, flame-sword-swinging split-tongued devils, and Bloodcrushers, the demonic cavalry."

NowGamer's review (9.1/10) adds more detail about the corruption mechanic, but also mentions the events of the campaign: "Most games require ‘action’ to register a morality path but Chaos Rising is one of the few that organically dictates that ‘inaction’ or even failure is a morality choice."

Anybody got in mind which route they're going to take?

On my first playthrough I'm going to try and avoid the corruption.. but it sounds like it'll not be that easy :(

At the end of last month, we had a Community event in London, where some of the guests were able to play a little of the campaign, and try out the multiplayer. Some of the guys from here attended, I think.. what did you think of it?

You work for the company and they don't let you play it until it's out? ;)

That said, when I eventually get around to buying it, many moons from now, when it is cheaper and I am wealthier, I'm totally being uncorrupt the first time through. I think. I'm more likely to play morally and see what happens.

Steam has already downloaded the free units on my account, the Librarian is epic and the minor changes to Space Marine gameplay refreshing. I have yet to test the other new additions to the armies. Btw. I plan to go and buy Chaos Rising this weekend if it is aviable in store.

Well a friend and I have been running the Steam update that came out yesterday and I am impressed at the upgrades on the current DOW2 :D MELTAS AND LAS PREDS :huh: I so want the expansion for my Birthday...

Well a friend and I have been running the Steam update that came out yesterday and I am impressed at the upgrades on the current DOW2 :D MELTAS AND LAS PREDS :lol: I so want the expansion for my Birthday...

Today IS my birthday! :D

Already bought and updated. I'll be downloading this as soon as I come back from the party dinner tonight ;)

I think I'll try the Nid and Chaos "heroes" in Last Stand while I wait the download - if it not locks down DOW2 completely during that...

Today IS my birthday! :lol:

Already bought and updated. I'll be downloading this as soon as I come back from the party dinner tonight :D

I think I'll try the Nid and Chaos "heroes" in Last Stand while I wait the download - if it not locks down DOW2 completely during that...

You lucky son of a gun :D Happy Birthday http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg17/Hubernator/gifs/bestwishes.gif

Picked it up last night as the US release date was 3/11. :)

So far just played the first couple of missions and I gotta say it's pretty cool at this point. I played a skirmish against the computer to try out the Chaos marines. Bloodletters are pretty nice and I like being able to mark (Khorne or Tzeench) the units. I really like that the quotes from the Chaos marines are almost identical to the original game just with better/different voice effects.

As far as corrupt/pure, I'm going to try and stay pure. The fact that you get abilities from whatever path you take is REALLY cool. I'll have to play a lot more later on today/tonight. I want my Terminator armor back!

Ok beginning long boring but essential list of questions: When is it ouw? Where can i get it? How can i get it? Why is dawn of war 2 or at least mine malfunctioning?

Oh and happy birthday you lucky person! :)

I'm ever luckier than it seems - my game was already loaded and ready to go! I played it a bit yesterday to test the waters.

Answering your questions:

1- yesterday!

2- In steam itself

3- you'll be forced to do an upgrade in dow2 to make the game compatible with the expansion, and to get the extra new stuff. After this update, it will work again.

I haven't tried the new units yet, but I have played a few games as Chaos. My impressions so far:

-Chaos voice acting is absolutely superb. Many of the voices and phrases are familiar from the original game, but all well done. The cultists (now called Heretics I believe) no longer sound quite so irritating, but are instead kind of creepy to listen to. The Chaos Sorcerer is voiced by the original Sindri voice actor. The advisor voice sounds and has lines like a demon, and is actually kind of fun to listen to.

-They feel different enough from normal Space Marines. I was afraid they might just be copies with spikes added, but even the similar units function somewhat differently.

-The visual effects are very nice. Doom Bolt looks really cool, all the Nurgle units leave slime trails, the Great Unclean One has a constant cloud of flies around it. My favorite graphic is actually the autocannon on the Dreadnought, which is really well done.

My impressions on the units:

-The three commanders each have a Khorne/Nurgle/Tzeentch flair. The Lord starts out in Terminator armor and gets some nice close-combat related wargear (including Lightning Claws!). The Nurgle champion starts out very similar to the Techmarine, with a bolter and the ability to build turrets; he's more defensive with some protective abilities mixed in (he can get close combat gear if you like, also). The Sorcerer gets all the kinds of stuff you'd imagine, lots of spell-casting abilities and wargear that gives him new powers (like teleport); overall reminds me of the Farseer's playstyle but with more offensive powers.

-Heretics are much more useful than just being an inititial cannon-fodder unit. They have a couple of abilities that change depending on your commander. One is the ability to go immobile and defenseless while praying, giving different bonuses to nearby units depending on your commander. They can also build a shrine, which again gives different bonuses (Nurgle shrines heal and allow reinforcement, Tzeentch shrines shoot at enemies, etc.). They start with autopistols and swords, and are pretty cheap. My favorite ability is that you can click a power and blow one of them up, damaging nearby enemies. I used this to deal with infantry very nicely, especially with two units blowing themselves up. The power is limited by a cool down and the fact that you can only explode one at a time. They can also get an Aspiring Champion to lead them, and get grenade launchers as an upgrade (this swaps their suicide ability for some kind of grenade barrage). Their various abilities leave me to believe they'll be useful at all stages of the game.

-Chaos Marines start off pretty standard but have a few upgrades. The first just increases their damage and health, there's no drawback besides the cost. They can get an Aspiring Champion, also. They also have the option to take the mark of Khorne or Tzeentch (this is regardless of what commander you have). Khorne swaps their bolters for chain axes and basically makes them Berzerkers. Tzeentch gives them inferno bolts, which are really good against heavy infantry (they don't appear to be full on rubric-marines).

-Havocs are in there, but I sadly haven't used them yet.

-Bloodletters are available at the second tier. I don't have a good handle on them just yet. They appear to be melee infantry with perhaps more damage and less protection than Khorne Marines. They have a couple of powers, one of which is teleport, so I guess they're the Chaos 'jump-pack' unit.

-The Bloodcrusher (Bloodletter on a juggernaut) is available at tier 2 also. It has a cost similar to a dreadnought. It's a large, fast melee unit. Since the dread also has close combat options I'm wondering if the Bloodcrusher is meant to be faster and less protected, but I don't know yet.

-The Chaos Dread is another tier 2 unit. It starts with an autocannon and close combat weapon. You can give it the mark of Khorne or Tzeentch. Khorne replaces the autocannon with a second claw, and Tzeentch replaces the autocannon with a missile launcher. I guess the launcher is more geared towards killing vehicles, and the autocannon is more an all-round weapon.

-Plague Marines are the final tier 2 unit. It's not an upgrade to a Chaos Marine unit, but rather an independent unit (available to all commanders). They come in a squad of four, no option for aspiring champion, although one automatically has a missile launcher. The missile launcher is pretty flexible, and served well against infantry as well as vehicles. They're mostly meant as a ranged unit, and are tough to kill. When you do actually kill one, it explodes and heals nearby infantry (it may also hurt enemies, not sure yet).

-The Predator is the first tier 3 unit. I haven't actually built one, so I'm not sure if it has any god-specific surprises.

-The Great Unclean One is the last tier 3 unit. It's super expensive on par with an Avatar. It's a big, slow super melee unit with a bunch of different special powers you can activate (like summoning swarms of flies, puking on units, or eating your own soldiers to replenish energy). You can only have one at a time. I don't know just how it compares to the Eldar Avatar, the only other unit type similar to it.

Just my impressions so far. I'm enjoying the Chaos faction, I think it's a worthy addition.

am i trhe only one whos version isent working?> the graphics are messed up....forums seemed to be done when i was over there. got this thingy saying they couldnth lpe me at the time...

I had some issues with the main menu not working right and the game crashing when I changed anything in the graphic options until I updated my video drivers. Try that if you aren't up to date.

I did also notice a small download today from Steam so maybe there was a fix. Maybe the OP can pop back in and provide some help. Good luck because it's a great game.

I'll also say on the gameplay, if a unit in the mission screen says he's good for a mission, believe him. I got part way through the 3rd mission and had to quit because I didn't bring jump packs. You can finish without them, but I'm trying to stay "pure." :devil:

Archived