Chaos Rising

THQInsider

bought it, went to install id, said the installation size was 1 Megabite..... yeah right..

not sure :D is going on with it, no matter what i try it wont install.

have returned it twice so have tried on 3 copies of the disk, still no go!

any ideas?

i've tried completely uninstalling steam and reinstalling it too...

grrrrrrr

i HATE steam..

The actual activation for CR is 1 meg. The actual game files? Included in the patch that updated DoW2. All DoW2 players have the CR content on their computer, they just can't use the races/campaign unless they get that 1 meg.

Steam is great man. Installed patch for me while I slept, I woke up, played game, CR released, I spent half a second dling the 1 meg and I've been playing since.

MINOR SPOILER:

We have traitor in our ranks. He is RANDOM. I had Martellus once and Thaddeus for the second time, a friend of mine had Jonah.

Pretty nice. Every campaign is a suprise. :lol:

updated my drivers about half an hour after posting here, this game is awesome :D

SPOILER

traitor was the techmarine for me. all my squads have 0 curroption however, perhaps thats somehow involved?

this is just me, i would definetly like to hear other peoples opinions.

PROS/ IMPROVEMENTS:

-overall gameplay

-every mission being unique

-corruption system

-story

-capturing shrines and other points are a bit more meaningful

- hints at some answers to the mystery of the 5th company

CONS:

- I do miss the defend/ kill particular creature optional side missions

- could have answered a few more things in my opinion but as long as they make another expansion or DOW III soon i'll accept it.

- could have used a few more "pure" items (maybe just one or two things) im thinking a psycannon (i know its not in line with the codexes but then again neither is having commanders that can wield heavy bolters).

Ok, here's summed fluff which we learn in Chaos Rising. BIG SPOILERS.

There were two expeditions on the Space Hulk, Judgement of Carrion. In the first one there was Librarian Azariah Kyras. First expedition was lost somewhere in the Warp. But not all of them died. They were trapped there for a long time. Kyras got corrupted after years (?) of hearing daemonic whispers in his head. Other members of the expedition probably also turned to Chaos.

The second expedition was under Apothecary Galen. Almost everyone died. Galen took gene-seeds and hid it from the daemon somewhere on the Space Hulk. Then he met Kyras, who claimed that he survived by the miracle. Then Kyras made a ritual in which daemon possessed Galen. After that this daemon helped Kyras and other heretics left the Space Hulk. Kyras' heretics (from 1st expedition) returned under changed names, they used those of Galen's 2nd expedition.

Soon Kyras became Chapter Master and Chief Librarian of the Blood Ravens and most of those heretics became members of the Honour Guard.

Apollo Diomedes, captain of the Honour Guard wasn't part of the expedition and he's still pure to the Emperor.

In the campaign we can kill Apothecary Galen and/or Apollo Diomedes, depends if we're playing corrupted Space Marines or pure ones.

If we kill Galen the daemon release him and he die cleansed, Apollo swears that he will help us to get Kyras and root out heresy from the Chapter.

If we do not kill Galen but we "kill" Diomedes then he's defeated but he swears that he will chase us, even in the Warp itself. Then come Galen and says that he can help with that.

The main campaign story is a bit similar to the one in DoW1 but without Eldar and Orks (just a bit of them in CR). Bale = Araghast. Sindri = Eliphas. Daemon from the Maledictum = Ulkair. Isador = Martellus or Thaddeus or Jonah or.... probably it's totally random and every squad leader can become traitor. So, Araghast is leading the forces of Black Legion. Eliphas is helping him. In critical moment he stops, we kill Araghast and Eliphas seize power over the Black Legion forces. Then we fight the traitor in our ranks. Then we kill Eliphas and Ulkair, The Great Unclean One bound to the planet Aurellia.

Also in the last cut-scene we can see Chapter Master Kyras and.... Abaddon.

Oh, and Gabriel Angelos is declared renegade. Kyras don't want to fight with the Black Legion and orders to leave sector Aurellia. Our Commander and Gabriel decided to stay and fight.

END OF SPOILERS

Picked up the game, hope its been polished; I wasnt a fan of DOW II, we'll see how things have changed after being away from the game for a year.

BTW, here is a great tune for Chaos Rising:

B)

got it to work by uninstalling dow2 and then just installing chaos rising?

odd..

one question if you go corruption do your marines become chaos marines?

or do they just stay the same but have different skills

also ihave heard that there is a mod that allows you to import your own color scheme into the campaign..

its a 3rd party mod so you can plays as say ultramarines in single player, just changes the colors

anyone heard where to get this?

would be cool to play through as your favourite chapter..

Almost done, fully corrupted on all squads.

The only issues I've come across is that of being stuck in the 'facing selection' completely at random, when moving units normally. I've looked in the menu, tried de-selecting sticky targeting and so on but it did not help.

Edit: a friend of mine experience the same error.

Almost done, fully corrupted on all squads.

The only issues I've come across is that of being stuck in the 'facing selection' completely at random, when moving units normally. I've looked in the menu, tried de-selecting sticky targeting and so on but it did not help.

Edit: a friend of mine experience the same error.

same issue here, normally i just go to where the abilities are and right click and it goes away. but still pain in the hindquarters

With the install bug, I'd have gone for verifying local content within Steam - I have had several games corrupt themselves lately and when I checked, a couple of files had gone and needed to be re-downloaded.

As for Chaos Rising, it installed without problem for me, though I had the issue with my Wargear not installing in GFWL (error 80004005).

With any tech problems, I'd recommend getting in touch with support on the THQ site for your territory. I'll help if it's something I know about, but my tech knowledge is sadly limited!

Found 2 strange bugs:

- when spending XP points (happened 2 times with tarkus): I spent 2 points in the same discipline, what would activate a trait. It added the 2 marks, highlighted as usual, but the trait didn't appeared. I needed to undo the change, change the squad selected and go back to Tarkus again to make it work.

- during the first mission in meridian, I entered a bunker with tarkus and avitus, near the foundry at northwest. When I ordered them to leave the building, tarkus left normally but... avitus disappeared! I found him in a bunker at southwest, near the first chaos buildings close to the drop zone (I had entered there before with him) and he was stuck! I select him, but no "leave building" button available. I destroyed the building, but he was still stuck. I needed to bombard and kill him and revive him to make him "normal" again :P

There was some issues when selecting units in the middle of the combat here and there but I didn't paid enough attention in the heat of the battle :D

What disappoints me about Chaos Rising is how limited the colours for the Chaos faction are. You have two colours for most things (one for main armour the other for trim) with a third being used on some rare things (Sorcerer tabard for example) and the fourth colour being used on the Plague marines. Considering the loyalist faction even has different colour layout choices (halved, quartered, Tauran style etc) it's really really lame. I don't have a single DIY Chaos faction that is anywhere near that bland...

I'm getting pretty jealous when reading all of this.

I can't install the freaking game... already tried that Steam trick 'install from disk" they put on their forum, but no revail..

I also noticed I can't install DOW2 too .. altough I had that on my system before.. I don't get it...

good to see some of have fun with it.. can't wait till i finally get this game to work...

I'm glad that they rotated the voice actors and gave Gabriel Angelos his original voice actor again. Of course that same voice actor did the original Eliphas, so it would probably have been really wierd having him do both in this game.

:angry:

The facing bug happened constantly in the last mission which was insanely frustrating.

On top of that Tarkus got stuck in a cliff. Thankfully triggering a cutscene 'teleported' him out of it.

The ending didn't feel very epic (like the one in DoW II does) and there is absolutely no point in going the corrupted route when spoiler ahead:

you get punished for it in the end

While I did have fun, particularly in the Judgement of Carrion missions I felt that the expansion was half-baked.

The voice acting was superb, which is the biggest plus.

@Nihm: How far corrupted were you?

My ending involved my strike team joining the Black Legion...

I. Hate. The. Last. Boss.

Far too much health, takes a long time. Do not look forward to that on Primarch difficulty...

Completely corrupted on all squads.

And I agree with you 100% about the last one, it had a distinct yawn-factor and requires nothing in the way of strategy. Unless you count cycling units back and forth between the teleport homer and the hot spot.

Archived