Chaos Rising

THQInsider

Yeah, I agree. Last boss is a pain. After defeating him for the first time (full purity) I had crash to desktop during his monologue. I repeated the mission. Then I was playing campaign for the second time (full corruption) and I had crash to desktop soon after his monologue. I haven't repeated it yet. :D

I'm loving it so far. I finished up DoW2 campaign first and then started CR. I'm hooked. While a nice upgrade from the original, it still could stand to be more true to form and give you at least the min of your squads but thats the worst I can say so far. Look forward to more goodness from this series

man had the same monologue problem with the last boss ;) first time i preserved most of the allies forces, second time 75/75 died and he dident crash...

*sigh* always crash on the perfect playthrough :blush:

That last boss is indeed a pain. The first time I fought him I thought "how many wounds does this guy have?" I think he's doubly irritating if you use mostly melee squads.

I do like how things in the campaign are mutable. I'm not totally sure what triggers what, but things were different the second time through.

Finished it with full Corruption! I liked the ending. Won't spoil it ;)

edit: just found it on official forum, there are 5 different endings (I'll write them in black)

Epic Victory!: Your example shall forever shine in the annals of the chapter.

You have defeated the Black Legion and avoided the stain of corruption. Thanks to your efforts, Captain Diomedes has joined the cause of Gabriel Angelos. Together, you three -- and those loyal to you -- are set to return honor to the Blood Ravens.

Campaign Victory!: You have walked through the shadows of corruption and emerged purified.

You have beaten back the Black Legion and purged the traitor from your ranks. You stand shoulder-to-shoulder with Gabriel Angelos, ready to confront the heresy of Chapter Master Kyras. The battle shall be hard, but you will restore the chapter's honor.

Pyrrhic Victory: Your victory has come at a heavy price. You must atone for your sins.

You stand apart from Gabriel Angelos and his followers. Although not lost, you have committed grievous sins for which you must atone. You and your brothers have embarked on a century-long crusade of penance.

Executed for Heresy: Your name shall be struck from the Book of Honor.

You lie dead at Gabriel Angelos' hand. Faced with the temptations of Chaos, you surrendered your honor and failed your brothers, and have paid the price. Only Davian Thule shall remember you, and that memory drives him into a centuries-long torpor.

Fallen to Chaos: Death to the False Emperor!

Let the lickspittle Angelos mewl about the honor of his precious chapter. You have seen the truth at last and embraced the power of the Dark Gods. Eliphas and Kyras shall be as nothing compared to the devastation you shall visit on the Blood Ravens.

Finished it with full Corruption! I liked the ending. Won't spoil it :D

edit: just found it on official forum, there are 5 different endings (I'll write them in black)

Epic Victory!: Your example shall forever shine in the annals of the chapter.

You have defeated the Black Legion and avoided the stain of corruption. Thanks to your efforts, Captain Diomedes has joined the cause of Gabriel Angelos. Together, you three -- and those loyal to you -- are set to return honor to the Blood Ravens.

Campaign Victory!: You have walked through the shadows of corruption and emerged purified.

You have beaten back the Black Legion and purged the traitor from your ranks. You stand shoulder-to-shoulder with Gabriel Angelos, ready to confront the heresy of Chapter Master Kyras. The battle shall be hard, but you will restore the chapter's honor.

Pyrrhic Victory: Your victory has come at a heavy price. You must atone for your sins.

You stand apart from Gabriel Angelos and his followers. Although not lost, you have committed grievous sins for which you must atone. You and your brothers have embarked on a century-long crusade of penance.

Executed for Heresy: Your name shall be struck from the Book of Honor.

You lie dead at Gabriel Angelos' hand. Faced with the temptations of Chaos, you surrendered your honor and failed your brothers, and have paid the price. Only Davian Thule shall remember you, and that memory drives him into a centuries-long torpor.

Fallen to Chaos: Death to the False Emperor!

Let the lickspittle Angelos mewl about the honor of his precious chapter. You have seen the truth at last and embraced the power of the Dark Gods. Eliphas and Kyras shall be as nothing compared to the devastation you shall visit on the Blood Ravens.

If the next expansion goes trough which end you got, I bet it will be awesome! And of course they should bring Imperial Guardsmen.

So the Chapter Master is corrupted... Do any of you reckon that the whole Kauruva campaign was a plot to thin out the number of Blood Raven loyalists? He would have known how difficult it would be (the Novamarines failed), Boreale was a student of Angelos and would most likely have supported him over Kryas and it specificaly says that the veteran honour guard "were sent by the chapter master." Also, it was Kryas who promoted the commander from DOW 2 despite never having met him and considerable resistance from other members of the chapter. Perhaps he was hoping that a young and inexperienced commander who didn't have the support of the others would get them all killed too.

Edit: Use spoiler tags please.

Finished it with full Corruption! I liked the ending. Won't spoil it :D

edit: just found it on official forum, there are 5 different endings (I'll write them in black)[/color]

Now that you mentioned it, it's there the same thing in the original DOW2? I just finished it again - in coop time - and got the Epic victory ending there. Its there ways to get different endings at the regular DOW2? (having a planet with a complete nid infestation, or dying in the last battle, maybe?)

Personally I enjoyed the campaign in CR much more than the first game.

The first campaign felt WAY too much like go here, kill these guys, battle this leader, and repeat.

The way that the Chapter politics played out in the game kept me hooked and wanting to know what came next. It really picks up when Diomedes pops up.

So are the Blood Ravens now considered a Renegade chapter with Chaos and Imperial groups like the Soul Drinkers? If so what happens next will be very interesting.

Wait! So Aurelia was SUCKED into the warp!? ;)

Wow... the story in the Dawn of War games gets more and more silly the further you go.

Whole planets do NOT get sucked into the warp... and heck, if one did it would be torn apart piece meal if it was inside for a long time. Not to mention that the surface would be clawed, scorched and all around messed up, nothing would be alive.

No atmosphere would remain.. planets to do not have gellar fields, nor does Aurelia have any shielding. (Terra)

Couldn't they have just said the planet was "caught" in a warp storm, fully engulfed like Medusa V was?

I'm sorry, I just don't like how they randomly have Eldar making a webway portal on a world that is no doubt tainted by deamons. What, do the Eldar WANT daemons to capture and corrupt a webway... ugh!

I know they're xenos, but they are not complete idiots!

Now it's a great game for the DoW2 series, but the story is like something Matt Ward would write.

"The Nerd: Yeah. It's THAT bad!"

A WHOLE PLANET BEING SUCKED INTO THE WARP!? oh brother...

An Imperial world... still inhabited.. while TYRANID SPORE CHIMNEY'S jutt from the ground? What?

The planet HAS obviously been terraformed/infected by the nids.. the world should be declared PERDITA!

*also the AI could have been tweaked, unless you micro the units. (ala Starcraft)

A lot of Blood Ravens just stand around instead of engaging the enemy.

Personally I enjoyed the campaign in CR much more than the first game.

The first campaign felt WAY too much like go here, kill these guys, battle this leader, and repeat.

The way that the Chapter politics played out in the game kept me hooked and wanting to know what came next. It really picks up when Diomedes pops up.

I enjoyed the campaign alot more, also. I remember the design philosophy with the original DOW2 campaign was to have smaller bite-sized missions so you could sit down and quickly knock off a few missions. Unfortunately that experiment didn't really work out, and I'm glad to have the longer, more involved missions.

Regarding your spoiler:

I don't think anyone outside the Chapter even knows any of this, so there's no one to interfere.

Wait! So Aurelia was SUCKED into the warp!? <_<

Wow... the story in the Dawn of War games gets more and more silly the further you go.

Whole planets do NOT get sucked into the warp... and heck, if one did it would be torn apart piece meal if it was inside for a long time. Not to mention that the surface would be clawed, scorched and all around messed up, nothing would be alive.

No atmosphere would remain.. planets to do not have gellar fields, nor does Aurelia have any shielding. (Terra)

Couldn't they have just said the planet was "caught" in a warp storm, fully engulfed like Medusa V was?

I'm sorry, I just don't like how they randomly have Eldar making a webway portal on a world that is no doubt tainted by deamons. What, do the Eldar WANT daemons to capture and corrupt a webway... ugh!

I know they're xenos, but they are not complete idiots!

Now it's a great game for the DoW2 series, but the story is like something Matt Ward would write.

"The Nerd: Yeah. It's THAT bad!"

A WHOLE PLANET BEING SUCKED INTO THE WARP!? oh brother...

An Imperial world... still inhabited.. while TYRANID SPORE CHIMNEY'S jutt from the ground? What?

The planet HAS obviously been terraformed/infected by the nids.. the world should be declared PERDITA!

You're wrong on so many points there... whole planets can be suck into the warp and have in BL books and GW lore. Also the warp has no rules as to what happens when the planet in there... a god could take an interest in said planet and keep it going as normal or mess with it completely, sending demons and other stuff onto it. Chaos is not controlled by rules

Primarch mode isn't as bad as I originally anticipated... Then again I'm on like the 4th mission. Ranged Force Commander is a laugh, not done that before! Insta-gib meltagun is most useful!!

In relation to the last battle:

I've found that Ulkair won't leave his little arena, and you can utterly confuse him by putting a ranged unit far enough outside that they can hit him and he can't enage them in combat. Instead he just stands at the edge or walk around in circles. He was still a pain to beat though (and I can't believe I chose that mission to give Thule the multimelta - horrible weapon).

I've found that Ulkair won't leave his little arena, and you can utterly confuse him by putting a ranged unit far enough outside that they can hit him and he can't enage them in combat. Instead he just stands at the edge or walk around in circles. He was still a pain to beat though (and I can't believe I chose that mission to give Thule the multimelta - horrible weapon).

That was how I defeated him. Even with my commander in Terminator and Lighting Claws and Thaddeus with the best thunder hammer I could find there was NO way I was going to get anywhere neer that guy. Just let Avitus, Thule, and Tarkus slowly pick away at him with heavy weapons.

I'll have to try that this time around. My first playthrough was my 'Blood Angels-themed' campaign. Close combat Tarkus, Thaddeus, FC, and Thule. It makes that fight kind of a nightmare.

You're wrong on so many points there... whole planets can be suck into the warp and have in BL books and GW lore. Also the warp has no rules as to what happens when the planet in there... a god could take an interest in said planet and keep it going as normal or mess with it completely, sending demons and other stuff onto it. Chaos is not controlled by rules

Ok, so in what BL book or piece of GW lore has such an event occurred?

Of course the warp has no rules, Space Marines sucked out of a ship (Blood Quest) can live, ending up on a world in the Eye of Terror. Chaos is chaos, I only see where you are wrong at proving the ridiculous DoW2 backstory.

off the top of my head, in one of the Grey Knights books

A forge-world transports itself into the Warp and remains there for a thousand years (planetside) only to reappear 100 years after it left the Materium

Ok, so in what BL book or piece of GW lore has such an event occurred?

Of course the warp has no rules, Space Marines sucked out of a ship (Blood Quest) can live, ending up on a world in the Eye of Terror. Chaos is chaos, I only see where you are wrong at proving the ridiculous DoW2 backstory.

For the BL please read "Dark Adeptus", excellent book on the Grey Knights, is based on a planet that spent a fair amount of time in the warp. Also in Dead Sky Black Sun 2 Ultramarines spend a lot of time on a planet in the Eye Of Terror, where the warp spills out into the material universe. Both show that planets and people on them can survive the effects of the warp.

As for GW lore check out the Codex:Chaos Daemons, plenty of lore on Daemon worlds (worlds trapped in warp rifts) these worlds tho are less friendly to human life. Look for "The Damnation Of Toreus".

Also a point I missed out on about the Eldar. Alot of their web ways are in the Eye OF Terror. Eldar are very good at dealing with Chaos, not perfect but if need be they can cut off these webways to certain planets to save the Craftworlds. They do what they need to to save their race, if that means they go to a planet control by chaos to try and stop a bigger threat in their future they would do so in a heart beat. We're talking the survival of a race, nothing is above that.

The Eye of Terror is not "THE WARP", yes it is a dangerous realm ruled over by the chaos gods.

Even if it was written somewhere, I still think it's an idea about as dumb as Blood Angels & Necrons.

The warp is a maelstrom of energy.. of course chaos gods can do things to protect the world. It's still not a direction MY version of 40k goes into. <_<

I'll have a look, as for the Eldar in DoW2.

They really don't need to cram every race into the DoW games, but as I stated earlier. Relic makes some "bad" story lines, cheesy voice acting aside. (see: Senile DC narrator who over enunciates every second word, Cmdr Boreal)

The DoW series got more farcical each game after WA, until it fell flat on it's face IMO. (see: Metal Bawkes)

Oh well, at least a Space Hulk is in it!

Lets not feed the troll.

The last battle was tedious. Though they left it open for a sequel, I got the impression that it will be DOW 3 as opposed to another expansion. However, relic has done bad idea's before (soulstorm).

As for Kyras: That conspiracy theory about sending them to Karuva to kill off Blood Ravens is an interesting theory, probably a retcon, but I like it.

I thought I remembered seeing a post by Relic somewhere saying that Gorgutz final appearance would be in the next DOW2 expansion, which to me implies they'll make at least one more before moving on to 3. Chaos Rising got really good reviews, and besides the tedious boss (I just crashed right after killing him) I enjoyed the expansion alot.

Archived