Hello from the Midwest!

Midwest

Hello all,

After lurking here for quite a while, I finally decided to sign up as I'm in the process of creating my own Space Marine Chapter, which will lead into me playing 40k for the first time in

A bit of background: I first got into 40k back in the final days of Rogue Trader via the RT-era Ork models and books, thanks to the conspicuously-placed product placement at Merlyn's in Spokane, WA. By 2nd Edition, my family had moved to Nebraska, and I did most of my 40k gaming in Omaha (Ground Zero, Dragon's Lair, also Spellbound in Lincoln, NE).

I played Orks for all of 2nd edition as my primary army, but I also ended up adding CSM as I loved the metal CSM and Terminator models from that era, with Word Bearers (mostly as they were my favorite of the paint schemes - not a fan of the darker reds GW uses now for them) and Death Guard (the 2nd ed. Death Guard being all-time favorite models of mine). I also even managed to build two DIY loyalist chapter armies, although I don't recall every actually playing a game with either of them. :lol:

In addition to local gaming, discovering the initial online community also got me into fiction writing. Back then, in the 19dicketies (we had to use the word "dickety", as Horus had stolen the number "90"), when we still had mailing lists and web rings, I was a member of the old IGCOM 40k mailing list, discussing the superiority of my beloved Word Bearers (Lord Tubal-Kahn) and Orks (Warboss Gorblitz), the squishiness of panzees, and the loose reputation of Repanse de Lyonesse (the dicketies were a simpler, more innocent time, really).

My gaming pretty much stopped with the advent of 3rd Edition, but I still loved the background and modeling/painting aspects of the game. By this time I was in grad school (Go Cyclones! Also, Mayhem Comics!), so I mostly just bought and painted stuff I liked, occasionally dabbling in WHFB. Through my random connection to a certain bacon-loving editor, I even got to help write the original White Dwarf Index Astartes article for the Word Bearers (not to take any of the credit that Graham McNeill deserves, however). Sadly, in a fit of gamer angst, I sold off my beloved 2nd ed. armies - still kickin' myself for that, esp da boyz.

However, a few years ago I ended up moving to my current location (Kansas City), thanks to the promises of BBQ and anime by one of my long-time online friends (and Death Guard fanboi), and thanks to him and his kind, I've gotten back into the gaming side of the hobby, first through my WHFB Khorne Daemons and now into 40k.

After literally years of thinking and writing and rewriting and continuing to do so, I've decided to properly start working on my DIY chapter. I've yet to settle on a chapter name, although the current placeholder is the "Night Bearers". Which kinda sounds more Chaosy, but then I've always loved the older RT-era chapter names like the Exorcists and Minotaurs, rather than all the Angels, Templars, and Sons floating around these days (hmmm, "Sons of the Templar Angels"...). :tu:

Despite being a grumpy old 2nd. Edition vet still not completely sold on these fancy new editions, I've decided to make this a real army and start playing 40k again. In addition to my friend Ryan, I blame Dawn of War. (I've also been collecting the old CSM metals, but haven't decided if I want to do Word Bearers or a DIY.)

I have to say that the painter tools developed here are amazing! Along with all the DIY advice, templates, etc, I have to say the resources here are very much appreciated!

Despite being a grumpy old 2nd. Edition vet still not completely sold on these fancy new editions, I've decided to make this a real army and start playing 40k again. In addition to my friend Ryan, I blame Dawn of War. (I've also been collecting the old CSM metals, but haven't decided if I want to do Word Bearers or a DIY.)

Ha!

Try being a grumpier, older, RT vet (only managed a couple games of 5th ed. so far).

But it's nice to see the plains represent...even if you are too far South. :tu:

Haha, so true, so true. Although we've gotten a lot less snow this year than you guys. :)

I do miss Dragon's Lair and Ground Zero, although it sounds like Game Shoppe is the new hotness.

Archived