Stabbin' and such: Triumphant at Last! 2/9/17

Firepower

Woo templates!

Looks pretyy darn good so far. I've been working so long with the Deimos pattern vehicles I forgot how neat the 40k pattern Vindicators look.

I love the little micro-reliquaries on the side. It's like an iPod sized version of a battle shrine for Zeal on-the-go.

Woo templates!

Looks pretyy darn good so far. I've been working so long with the Deimos pattern vehicles I forgot how neat the 40k pattern Vindicators look.

I love the little micro-reliquaries on the side. It's like an iPod sized version of a battle shrine for Zeal on-the-go.

Yeah, Vindicators are one of my favorite tank models. Very beefy and dangerous looking. They're just a pain to paint, with so many angles and such. I got those shrines from a bitz site ages ago, for just such a purpose. I'm gonna be trying to sneak some in on a Dread an maybe my Stormtalons, too. Love 'em. :smile.:

Now then, another day, another few hours wrestling with the airbrush. I fixed a lot of mistakes, and made a lot of new ones. Today's mission was to paint the bone panels, and I succeeded...mostly. I only have very thin masking tape, so it was brutal to mask them off in the first place, but some gaps meant I had to go back and redo the black after the fact. And then, while doing the black, a sudden clog sent out a dusting of black on to one of the rear panels. So now I gotta fix that tomorrow. Overall though, I'm fairly pleased with how they came out. Especially considering how long it's been since I last piddled around with airbrushing tanks.

gallery_38474_6916_25989.jpg

gallery_38474_6916_61597.jpg

I gotta remember to replace my knife's blade when I do this. Cutting masking tape good, tearing bad. A few rough edges here and there on that bone.

It's ass backwards from my previous method. I wasn't sure I was going to like airbrushing it, so I started with the black. In practice, I have to start with the bone, then mask it off and do all the heavy lifting. Going in reverse makes for a lot of problems.

Photographing this thing is a challenge in itself, too. No lightbox means sharp shadows, and seeing as it's a shaded black surface, unless I'm aiming straight against a panel with the camera, it all just washes out. :laugh.:

Oh well, one hobbying bane at a time. Speaking of, I think I'm just gonna have to go all in on this, and give weathering another shot. The masochistic streak strikes again. But on the other hand, weathering is a very sneaky way to hide mistakes made with the airbrush. Learned that one working on my Arrows. :)

Edited by Firepower

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks much.  Unfortunately I lost my mojo a bit.  I needed wider masking tape, and my local supplier was fresh out.  5 days of waiting, no painting, and my manic flow ended.  I need to get back to that, and hard.  

No Destiny, I don't care that you finally got a proper expansion.  No!  Shush!  Leave me alone!

:teehee:

• 2 weeks later...

So this is where you hide when not posting sarcastic, not-so-funny, or downright critical comments about the forum.

Hum. Interesting.

I'll have to delve further into this morass and see what I can find ;)

So this is where you hide when not posting sarcastic, not-so-funny, or downright critical comments about the forum.

Wow.  That was downright critical of you.  Not so funny either.  Hopefully sarcastic though.

:biggrin.:

....:unsure.:

Edited by Firepower

So, I've gone some time trying to get a couple things painted..and failed. Mostly I've been lacking motivation, and when I got it half the time I'd be fooling around with test models to try and master the color purple...which I also failed to accomplish.

But now..a completed model! Hooray!

gallery_38474_6916_135559.jpg

A heavy weapon? Is this a sign that I've fallen to the Laeroth-side? Well...kinda. This is the first of 10 fire support troops and a razorback which will be acting as...well, fire support. Duh. They're all in various stages of completion, with weapons heads and shoulders done. Really all I've got left to do is black highlighting, so if I can work up some motivation they should be here soon.

Also, you might notice, I finally figured out how to take decent photos! Hooray! Now my mistakes can no longer be hidden by out of focus pics :teehee: Of course a paintjob is bound to look a bit sloppy when you blow up a model 400% as a jpeg :tongue:.

Hey oddball I mean firepower. great film. If anything the paintjob looks even more impressive at 400%. I always thought Plasma cannons looked cool but wow. haha. Blue works great. White trim on the bikes and first land speeder looks cool. Oh just discovered the word Threadromancy :huh.: Anyway awesome stuff makin me feel like startiing a crusade on here myself.

Thanks much, and if you feel up for the challenge, then I say 'go for it.'  A nice little field of angry black models is gratifying to behold :D

And of course, you've got plenty of sources around here to help guide you along in painting them and list building.  There's just the matter of the hazing paddlin's... :devil:

• 3 months later...

Remember this guy?

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz201/Wills40k/Black%20Templars/IMG_1974.jpg

Ahh, the memories. My first steps into Templar-dom actually.

Well, the old boy needed some fresh respect, and the most recent BnC painting challenge gave me a whopping 24 hours to do it.

gallery_38474_6916_66813.jpggallery_38474_6916_19307.jpggallery_38474_6916_10487.jpggallery_38474_6916_9301.jpg

There are some thigns I'm going to clean up still. My hand is shaking way too much today to do sharp edge highlights or paint the rivets. The sword is the other x-factor. I've always been torn between the fluff (flat, featureless black) and style. I'll continue to meditate on this, but currently I'm considering a very faint highlight with a high gloss varnish on top to give it an obsidian luster.

He'll also get a proper fluffy entry into the Jerulas Crusade, once I'm satisfied that he's ready for the challenge. ;)

He's obviously still WIP, but well met on the challenge. Things that especially caught my eye were:

1. Tabard - I really like what you did. That just screams out coarse fabric to me and I'm going to take a look at that and see if I can implement that on my tabards. I suppose I should thank you for all the extra work. :P

2. The banner across his back pack. Not only is that well executed, but an incredibly brilliant idea. I wouldn't want that on all back packs as it should be extra special I think, but I'm going to have to find a few guys to put that on.

I've always been torn between the fluff (flat, featureless black) and style.  I'll continue to meditate on this, but currently I'm considering a very faint highlight with a high gloss varnish on top to give it an obsidian luster.

Agree on being torn. Conceptually, I like your current line of thought. I've held off on my Sigismund for similar reasons.

Cheers,

He is alive...  Its been another year and I still havent played you...  My fault really...  I havent been playing much of anybody of late...

That cloth tho...  I dont know if it is inspired or clumsy. I guess if I have to ask it isnt clumsy because bad painting lets you know right off and that isnt the vibe I get from it....
How'd you do it?

He's obviously still WIP, but well met on the challenge. Things that especially caught my eye were:

1. Tabard - I really like what you did. That just screams out coarse fabric to me and I'm going to take a look at that and see if I can implement that on my tabards. I suppose I should thank you for all the extra work. :tongue.:

2. The banner across his back pack. Not only is that well executed, but an incredibly brilliant idea. I wouldn't want that on all back packs as it should be extra special I think, but I'm going to have to find a few guys to put that on.

The banner backpack is just straight out of one of the Veteran boxes.  Not my idea or conversion or anything like that.  :sweat:

He is alive...  Its been another year and I still havent played you...  My fault really...  I havent been playing much of anybody of late...

That cloth tho...  I dont know if it is inspired or clumsy. I guess if I have to ask it isnt clumsy because bad painting lets you know right off and that isnt the vibe I get from it....

How'd you do it?

I've been using the method for a while (see Ludoldus a few pages back), but I'm not so happy how it came out this time around.  I've used it principally on very compacted and tightly wrinkled cloth spaces, but it suffers in wide open spaces like the long swoop behind his left leg.  Worked alright on the front though.  But it's key to have the horizontal marks be thin, and there are enough sloppy ones on the back tabard and left swoop to make my teeth grind.  Not sure if and how I'll be doing something about that...

Anyway, the technique is just rapid, thin horizontal strokes of paint across raised areas in progressively lighter tones.  It's the same colors I would normally use for a tabard, just a different, stylized technique to make cloth look a bit like fabric.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, it's the big 6th anniversary of my plog...and I am disappoint.  :dry.:

In the last year, I've painted 3 Flamer Initiates, Ludoldus, half a Champion, annnnd...kinda tinkered with my airbrush?  That and some incomplete work on my Ironclads and Drop Pods.

This is unacceptable!  I need momentum!  I need motivation!  I need deadlines, and ultimatums, and of course, paddlin' esque consequences for missing said deadlines.  Normally, pretty signature banners are what motivate me to paint, along with banners of shame for failed completions.

But I need more than that now, if this Crusade is to move forward.

I still have 3 Drop Pods about half-prepped with mold line removal all in all, the 2 Ironclads which are mostly ready but still in need of a bit more ornamentation, and 2 Storm Talons cut off the sprue.  Oh, and one more Flamer Initiate.  

So now I come to my brothers for help.  Decide on a reasonable but firm deadline for some model(s).  You're free to suggest consequences for failure, something to publicly broadcast the shame due for failing the Eternal Crusade, but as of right now I'm thinking of...

...dare I say it?

Putting the Donald on the line!  Although that may be a tad extreme... :unsure.:

After enough proposals, I will put it to a vote which deadline and which consequence to follow.  Accept any challenge!*

Although for extra funsies, a mutual challenge could be even more fun.  Who can paint the X fastest?  What are you willing to put on the line?  Perhaps a group challenge...

*within reason

Edited by Firepower

I feel you brother. It's like pulling teeth to get me motivated outside of a challenge and even then I have issues sometimes.

With Tank Shock events sure to be popping up soon maybe we could do a group event to tie in with that somehow? A motorpool expansion open to vehicles of any sort, but geared towards those pesky transports that always get pushed to the back burner and likely won't impact an flgs events (since surely those will be focusing more on stuff like Prediators I would think?) I'm sure we all have a few pods, rhinos, and the like that could be pledged...

Hmm, a "To the Front!" transport-centric event...of course, we're still overdue for the big Crusade Expansion X.

I wonder if I have enough pull around here to run the Transport event personally as an independent deal thingy.  And if enough Templars around here can bite the bullet and paint up some transports. :laugh.:

Edited by Firepower

Also, keep in mind that April is generally the month that people build up their inventory of things to paint because ETL is just around the corner.

I got some unfinished drop pods laying around - and a I picked up a couple of half-painted Razorbacks a while back. None of these are Expansion/ETL worthy... Wouldn't hurt to finish them though ;)

Also, keep in mind that April is generally the month that people build up their inventory of things to paint because ETL is just around the corner.

True, but there's always some painting event around the corner these days ;)

I got some unfinished drop pods laying around - and a I picked up a couple of half-painted Razorbacks a while back. None of these are Expansion/ETL worthy... Wouldn't hurt to finish them though :wink:

Exactly.  At the cost of just 7 melta bombs, you'll never see Pods in the ETL, and yet what else would inspire one to go through the hassle of building and painting these pentagonal pains in the ass than a bit of friendly competition? :P

See that's why the transport idea would work imo. Since they're so cheap in points it's not likely that anyone will be putting them up for the ETL and it's not something that you would typically see a challenge for since they're not exactly 'heroic'.

Actually that could be something else to spice it up a little bit though, maybe a backstory/painting challenge similar to the recent champions challenge.

See that's why the transport idea would work imo. Since they're so cheap in points it's not likely that anyone will be putting them up for the ETL and it's not something that you would typically see a challenge for since they're not exactly 'heroic'.

Actually that could be something else to spice it up a little bit though, maybe a backstory/painting challenge similar to the recent champions challenge.

I'm always up for painting challenges.  I never win, but it helps keep me from slacking off and cutting corners ;)

Fluff may be a bit harder though, seeing as we're just talking about Rhinos, Drop Pods and the like.  

Firepower; I'll see your drop pod, and raise you a second ;)

Also

"Report - Techmarine Gregor on Drop Pod designation "Alpha-Niner - as follows;

Castellan Markov requested an investigation into the unexpected course-correction of Alpha-Niner on his last mission. The established co-ordinates were locked until well into the drop - no deviations were expected or authorised by command. My own subsequent investigations have been... hampered. Three seperate incidents involving door malfunctions and damaged or destroyed servitors forced me to look into it personally.

While accessing the central spirit core, the deathstorm launcher began to power up and track my position. It seems that despite the proper placations, the machine spirit of Alpha-Niner is unusually aggressive and difficult to control. However, after pulling all the data from its recent missions, I discovered a series of incidents worth noting.

Alpha-Niner has landed directly on enemy positions with an 87% success rate. I mean literally on top - while most landings have destroyed minor infantry units, several landings have obliterated enemy armour or command positions. One landing was later determined to have been responsible for the unexpectedly rapid victory on the world of Garian's Lament - singling out a Xenos witch riding a jet bike at speed, who so happened to be the senior commander of the enemy forces. While normally I would credit this to good fortune and the Will of the Emperor, in light of the myriad of coincidence involving Alpha-Niner, I can only conclude that the machine spirit has a particular zeal for destroying the enemy... personally.

I recommend an immediate move to honour the machine spirit with a commendation and a fresh paint job - may it continue the Emperor's work as the tip of our spear. Just don't expect it to land exactly where you aimed. Sir.

Gregor out."

:D

I've got 2 drop pods primed white (they were at one point going to be IF) that I need motivation to paint. I've also got 2 rhino/backs assembled, and 2 prined but not painted. A Transport Challenge would be very cool. And the name "To The Front!" is perfect.