Stabbin' and such: Triumphant at Last! 2/9/17

Firepower

I got it at a hobby shop, three different sizes.  Any store that sells bits and bobs for making jewelry should have plenty to choose from.  As for size and thickness, that's something you'll just have to eyeball.  The chain across that shield is the smallest size I got.  It looks like it's about 20 links per inch.  You can get as small as 40 something per inch I believe, which would be best for infantry models.  The links on this one are fairly small, but it would probably still look rather large on a power armor wrist or the like.

So a guy at my local GW apparently bought like 4 of the Sigmar boxes, so he had one of these to spare:

gallery_38474_6916_63459.jpggallery_38474_6916_23082.jpg

It looks just a tad goofy, I think. It's so damn tall, and yet, so cool. Maybe if I add some height to the arms to make the silhouette a bit less awkward and narrow. It's not glued in place yet, which is why it's at a crooked angle in the back picture.

Painting it is gonna be a pain in the ass, on account of the recesses the chain is covering up.

Would it be more of a pain to paint it first and add the chain later ?

I assume the key issue would be that if the chain moves while being placed so,e of the paint may scrape off and would have to be corrected ?

That thing screams templar relic something fierce. As for it's size, it isn't really much bigger than the hanging skeleton of Forgeworlds Venerable BT dread. The difference is of course, that this one is more 'entombed', while the FW is hanging more freely. How does it look if you make a mockup of a completed dread?

Like you said, maybe if you add some bulk/height to the arms (like the ablative padding on forgeworld's Brayarth Ashmantle) it would help.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to add some items on the sides of the relic either.  Hunter killer missiles, some candles, maybe a laud hailer-- all would help add weight to the model, and detract from the "goofiness" of the banner height.

I love it! Gotta find me that bit... Do you know what it's actually called/which character it is from?

It get where you're coming from about the height, but I don't think it's a problem - as mentioned before, it's not much more than the BT Venerable banner and it's so freaking awesome that Rule of Cool is in effect. I think it will look better once the legs are on, they'll help balance it, and just find something to soften the right-angles between it and the chassis. That suggestion of HK missiles would do it, or whatever other bits you have going spare.

That's a fantastic Templar relic! 

The back plate doesn't lend itself easily to a banner pole, so maybe the solution for mounting this on the dread is a horizontal, shaped "wall" that covers the dread's shoulders and allows the relic to embed into the top curves of the wall?

Can't wait to see your dread built .....

Would it be more of a pain to paint it first and add the chain later ?

I assume the key issue would be that if the chain moves while being placed so,e of the paint may scrape off and would have to be corrected ?

I'd have to prime the chains first, and just about every movement of them would scrape off some of the primer. Besides, it's already glued on. One must never fear nooks and crannies, lest the Emperor frown upon your laxity in disapprovingness. :laugh.:

I love it! Gotta find me that bit... Do you know what it's actually called/which character it is from?

It get where you're coming from about the height, but I don't think it's a problem - as mentioned before, it's not much more than the BT Venerable banner and it's so freaking awesome that Rule of Cool is in effect. I think it will look better once the legs are on, they'll help balance it, and just find something to soften the right-angles between it and the chassis. That suggestion of HK missiles would do it, or whatever other bits you have going spare.

The model is in the Age of Sigmar starter set. I think it's called a Lord-Relictor. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be sold independently. I lucked out to just get it for free, no doubt :smile.:

As for the similarities to the Forgeworld banner, a couple of things. First, Forgeworld arms can be splayed out, adding to the horizontal profile to offset the vertical. Second, the skeleton banner has a pole to separate it from the main silhouette. And as noted, it's a hanging skeleton with some gaps to break up the shape. Meanwhile, this relic is just a solid slab stuck right on top of a very square model.

I may have found a solution though. For poos and giggles, I held it on top of the previous dread with the torches on top. It actually looks much better, spreading out the shape rather than just a straight vertical slab. I may put it on top of that dread instead, actually.

gallery_38474_6916_37470.jpg

I'm just looking for another top ornament at this point. I think the banner from the Command Squad set would look good, but I gotta find a plastic rod to hold it up. The standard one has a hand in the middle, and I chopped it up years ago anyway. :tongue.:

I have a pair of gothic looking lantern things to put on either side of the second Dread's top. The models are getting so cluttered that I don't think I'll be able to take the 'easy' route and airbrush them rather than paint them by hand. All these tight spaces and panels would make airbrushing very precise work to begin with. But I'll figure that out later on.

As for bulking up the arms, I can't do too much there. The magnets on one are kinda weak, so I can't go adding unnecessary weight now.

Oh, and i built a Vindicator yesterday. I haven't done decorations or anything yet, so no real point in posting a picture. I'm drifting between models a lot. It's helping to ease frustration when i get stuck, or overwhelmed by tedium. :laugh.:

Edited by Firepower

It look wicked on top of the Dread with the flames. Definitely like that one over the other one without.

As for the banner pole, you should be able to find styrene tubing at your local hobbytown or equivalent. They make it quite thin so you should be able to find a size that is suitable

I dunno, I'm not sure I want both Dreads to be so tall. I've got this as a prototype for the second one. Nothing is glued down yet, so no worries there. :smile.:

gallery_38474_6916_57792.jpg

gallery_38474_6916_51167.jpg

Sensing a theme here? :wink:

It's leaning back a little in the pic, so the brazier kinda wobbled backwards a bit.

I haven't gotten around to deciding what I want to use to decorate the front. I have a grimdark skeleton thing that fits the right plate pretty well, or I could chain another relic to it like I did the shield. Not sure what item I would use though. There's the sword from our upgrade kit, but while it would fit, I've never been a huge fan of it.

I took a back pic because of how the lantern/torches attach to the exhausts. The way it goes narrow and then wide again looks a tiny bit weird, but I'm not sure it's anything to worry about.

Thoughts?

This WIP stuff is weird. I'm not used to getting feedback on unfinished models :lol:

Edited by Firepower

I have a grimdark skeleton thing that fits the right plate pretty well, or I could chain another relic to it like I did the shield

What does the grimdark skeleton thing look like?   Also, a minor idea- but since you are using fantasy bits on these dreads lately, you could just stick some small Empire cannon knockers/ornaments (they are shapped like lions) to the front and string chain through them to hold the flaming skull brazier down so it would look more secure on top of the dread chassis.

I have a grimdark skeleton thing that fits the right plate pretty well, or I could chain another relic to it like I did the shield

What does the grimdark skeleton thing look like?   Also, a minor idea- but since you are using fantasy bits on these dreads lately, you could just stick some small Empire cannon knockers/ornaments (they are shapped like lions) to the front and string chain through them to hold the flaming skull brazier down so it would look more secure on top of the dread chassis.

The skeleton thing is from the Wall of Martyrs Vengeance Weapons battery.  You can see them lining the base in sets of three.

I don't have those bitz you mention. I was thinking of chaining the brazier, but I'm probably gonna have to paint it separately from the model, so that's out. :confused:

However, I am currently puzzled by the brazier.  I have to find a way to make it look like a part of the dread, rather than a dread wearing a flaming hat.  Chains would be the aesthetically simplest way, if it wasn't so technically difficult.

Edited by Firepower

That brazier is awesome!

Not as big a fan of the skeleton thingy.

I see what you mean about the wide > skinny > wide exhaust vent thing ... maybe can find some kind of tubing you could cut to fill that area in?

Love the idea with burning heretic skulls, not so fond of the first one. :sad.:

With the 2nd one, the way you could blend it into being part of the dread to make it less of a hat, maybe something like this. The front of the ven dread, the part on the top right.

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-ou1isn/5hf1vb1/products/453/images/650/48-32I__43945.1398886121.500.750.jpg?c=2

The bit itself might be a bit small, but something similar would finish it off pretty well.?   Just the bit around the middle, the pillared/windowed bit. Chop the top and bottom off. 

Looks like the bits are from the vampire counts corpse cart, the lanterns could be from the same kit or the coven throne/mortis engine.

Might just have to buy or refurb a dread to do something similar.

Edited by Eberious

With the 2nd one, the way you could blend it into being part of the dread to make it less of a hat, maybe something like this. The front of the ven dread, the part on the top right.

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-ou1isn/5hf1vb1/products/453/images/650/48-32I__43945.1398886121.500.750.jpg?c=2

If I had something analogous to that, or even a whiff of sculpting skills, I'd be mocking that up right now. Unfortunately, I've got neither. :sad.:

I can see the reliquary dreadnought being a 'love it or hate it' kinda thing. I'm still teetering myself. But seeing as the problem is mainly one of proportions and shapes, I wouldn't be able to decide without seeing it all together:

gallery_38474_6916_57912.jpg

Much better this way, I think. Painting will be something of a curiosity though. The skeleton is taller than a Space Marine. I could either ignore that little tidbit and paint it as bones, or paint it metallic. But metallics are already gonna be used in abundance up there, with all the filigree and chains and such. Suppose I should just focus on one problem at a time, though.

Edit- I just had to double check. The skeleton is in fact exactly as tall as a Space Marine. So, that's nifty :)

Edited by Firepower

I wouldn't worry about scale, nothing in 40K is to scale anyway, and I doubt anyone is going to notice that the skeleton is a little bigger than it should be ;)

He looks awesome all put together, now get a badass sarcophagus to put on the front :D

They won't fit.  They go over the front plate from the venerable kit, which is totally different.  I've seen some folks cut em up and make ironclads, which looks awesome, but it's far too late for that now. :sad.:

Edited by Firepower

Alright, another object of distraction. This time it's a Vindicator that I just primed. Or more accurately, a test of my airbrush for future use on the Vindicator.

You guys remember this fella? This is the latest attempt at good shading/highlighting. I think it's alright, but I made some masking mistakes. More importantly, it has way less detail and is a lot less cramped than the Vindicator or Dreadnoughts (which I also want to airbrush) are.

Is the highlight bright enough? Good positioning? Anything else I haven't considered/should consider?

gallery_38474_6916_44877.jpg

The ongoing issue is whether to highlight the panels in the center or along the edges. The former makes the model much brighter, and is generally easier, but doesn't make much sense logically. The latter is much harder, but on the off chance that I get it right, it can be super pretty.

Edited by Firepower

Well I decided to just dive right in and see what happens. Edge highlighting is definitely better, but I've got plenty of mistakes to clean up already. I miss a lot of them at my workstation. It was only when I put it under the lamps I use for photography that I saw some really glaring misses, like the left side of the rear exhaust cover, which is supposed to be solid black, but has a huge gray smear. I'll have to keep that issue in mind...

Anyway, here is Guiltless (or Graven, if I can't fit Guiltless on the banner :P ), the third and final addition to the G-Vindis, in the early stages of painting. This is about one and a half hours of work. The opposite side hasn't been touched much yet.

gallery_38474_6916_33462.jpg

Edited by Firepower