Stabbin' and such: Triumphant at Last! 2/9/17

Firepower

Alright, let's see how democracy works in the Imperium.  Not well I imagine, but still, worth a shot.

So I submit to you, brothers, what should I paint next?

Option A: 8 Sword Brothers

Option B: 2 Drop Pods

Option C: 2 Storm Talons

Option D: 10 Neophytes

Option E: Helbrecht

None of these have been assembled yet, or primed.  If I had funds, it would be 3 instead of 2 Drop Pods, or 2 Ironclads.  But I don't have funds.  So they aren't options.

I really don't wanna paint...well, any of these.  So I figure it's better to ask my fans (yes, you have all been demoted to mindless followers of my mediocre painting) what models I should stare at on my work desk for the next 2 months.

As an aside, this blog is now more than 4 years old.  That's a long time for such little progress, even with a year off travelling abroad.  Considering how much free time I have, that's fairly unacceptable on my part.  I feel like I should ask you all to set a deadline for me, too. I rarely get anything done without one of those hanging over my head. :tongue.:

Edited by Firepower

It's time to revitalize your crusade!  Paint those neophytes. I would say take 2 weeks to finish them. That will give enough time to get them done but short enough that you'll have to work regularly. 

Drop pods arent that big a chore...  Prime separately and paint the innards before assembly.  Direct time took about 5 hours to major completion.  Finishing the bone panels on the outside is what took me forever.

I say Neophytes.  You know you need more and you have the Sword Bretheren as a reward when you are done..

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/Dark%20Angels/pod.jpg

Drop pods arent that big a chore... Prime separately and paint the innards before assembly. Direct time took about 5 hours to major completion. Finishing the bone panels on the outside is what took me forever.

I say Neophytes. You know you need more and you have the Sword Bretheren as a reward when you are done..

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/Dark%20Angels/pod.jpg

I set a higher standard of detail for my painting.* Just look at my Broken Arrows pod:

gallery_38474_8443_79147.jpg

gallery_38474_8443_64957.jpg

Unfortunately, crap like this is (partly) why it takes me so long to paint. If I do Drop Pods, I'll have some thinking to do. None of my Templar vehicles are proper-weathered (aside from dirty white panels), but a pristine Drop Pod would feel incomplete, I think.

Point is, everything I paint is a big chore :tongue.:

Hence, you all get to pick my poison. Looks like Neophytes are currently in the lead. I hate you all. :teehee:

*Sounds way more snobbish than intended, but I imagine you see what I mean.

Edited by Firepower

Neophytes. Not just because I'm looking for ideas to pilfer ;)

As for a deadline I know how much of a pain it is to complete something without some pressure... How about a Thanksgiving (US) deadline? Thats just a bit over a month and if you're in the states at least it'll be hard to forget :D.

Neophytes. Not just because I'm looking for ideas to pilfer :wink:

As for a deadline I know how much of a pain it is to complete something without some pressure... How about a Thanksgiving (US) deadline? Thats just a bit over a month and if you're in the states at least it'll be hard to forget :biggrin.:.

I don't really do anything special with the Neophytes. At least I haven't yet.  I am thinking about using bare heads though, as Marshal Barbarosa did.: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/231503-barbarossa-crusade-army-project/page-4?do=findComment&comment=2853104  Doing the heads with my usual technique is a nightmare of shaving and sanding and filing down plastic.  I hope shaving off necks will be relatively easy to that.

I consider them such tedious models that I never bothered smothering them in BT gubs or doing big conversions.  And my bitz bin is running low, so I have to scrounge just to find enough CCW arms for them, much less decorations.

Edited by Firepower

As for a deadline I know how much of a pain it is to complete something without some pressure... How about a Thanksgiving (US) deadline? Thats just a bit over a month and if you're in the states at least it'll be hard to forget :biggrin.:.

I don't really do anything special with the Neophytes. At least I haven't yet.  I am thinking about using bare heads though, as Marshal Barbarosa did.: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/231503-barbarossa-crusade-army-project/page-4?do=findComment&comment=2853104  Doing the heads with my usual technique is a nightmare of shaving and sanding and filing down plastic.  I hope shaving off necks will be relatively easy to that.

I consider them such tedious models that I never bothered smothering them in BT gubs or doing big conversions.  And my bitz bin is running low, so I have to scrounge just to find enough CCW arms for them, much less decorations.

all my neophytes are done with the blood angel bare heads. Don't shave off the neck of the head. Instead Drill out a hole in the torso for the head to fit into. That's how I did mine. I think it turned out Fantastic. If you'd like I can post some pictures later.

Edited by Metic

all my neophytes are done with the blood angel bare heads. Don't shave off the neck of the head. Instead Drill out a hole in the torso for the head to fit into. That's how I did mine. I think it turned out Fantastic. If you'd like I can post some pictures later.

I'd appreciate some pics, yeah.  What width is the drill you used?

I'd appreciate some pics, yeah.  What width is the drill you used?

A big one :wink:

3/32"  if I remember correctly. I don't have a bit that fits the size perfectly. Instead I worked it around a tiny bit to widen the slot. Took all of an hour to do 20 neophytes. And looks WAAAAYYY better than the standard Massive Stallone jaw the normal Scouts got going on.

Yea I just centered it off of the shoulders like a real person. I started the hole using the slot that's already there at an angel in towards the middle and just leveled it out as I got towards the desired center.  I also gave it a little bit of wiggle room for the head. I don't like the way the scout armour looks like he can't turn his neck. I'll upload some pictures tonight, I also have some Neophytes laying around that I still need to do 15/20 are done, so I'll do a step by step to how I drill it out if needed and finish the last 5. =)

This isn't something I'd recommend doing by hand, a dremmel makes this Insanely easy and quick. The standard pin vice for bolters/magnetizing is a no go.

Edited by Metic

A question for the Sword Brothers... what kind? Vanguard Sword Brothers or Sternguard Sword Brothers?

But I vote for Neophyte, deadline after a month and reward yourself with Sword Brothers, customized to look like 1st generation Templar armor (Imperial Fist and pre-heresy iconography [lightning markings and rivets])... that should be a challenge enough ;)

A question for the Sword Brothers... what kind? Vanguard Sword Brothers or Sternguard Sword Brothers?

But I vote for Neophyte, deadline after a month and reward yourself with Sword Brothers, customized to look like 1st generation Templar armor (Imperial Fist and pre-heresy iconography [lightning markings and rivets])... that should be a challenge enough :wink:

Honor Guard, actually.  And I haven't the resources or sculpting skills to give them sexy sexy Mk II/III armor.

This isn't something I'd recommend doing by hand, a dremmel makes this Insanely easy and quick. The standard pin vice for bolters/magnetizing is a no go.

I don't own a dremel. My largest pin vice drill bit is 2mm, I think. Actually, I recall trying this before, or at least drilling into a random piece of plastic and trying the fit. It wasn't a good one, if memory serves.

Edit- Just gave it another go with the 2mm.  Not gonna happen.  It is close though, so 3/32" may do it.

Edited by Firepower

Firepower, those are very similar to what I'm thinking of doing for my scout box. I might look into that is my meager milliput skill fail me. 

Yea I just centered it off of the shoulders like a real person. I started the hole using the slot that's already there at an angel in towards the middle and just leveled it out as I got towards the desired center.  I also gave it a little bit of wiggle room for the head. I don't like the way the scout armour looks like he can't turn his neck. I'll upload some pictures tonight, I also have some Neophytes laying around that I still need to do 15/20 are done, so I'll do a step by step to how I drill it out if needed and finish the last 5. =)

Metic, I am also looking forward to seeing this! Thanks!

Edited by AndrewChristlieb

To back up Brother Cris, I'm thinking sword brothers and/or Helbrect.

I love all those old school models, and I'd definitely love to see your take on them!

I'd only be using one or two of the old metal Sword Brothers at most. They aren't equipped properly, and chopping off/replacing the chainswords on one or two of them isn't worth the effort. And one has lightning claws, which are right out :tongue.:

But they'd stick out so much against any 'regular' models in the squad that it may look...wrong.  I may just paint up the one that already has a Power Sword, and use him as the Champion.  It makes sense for him to stand out at least.

Metic- Went cruising through your plog for a peek at those Neophytes, and it turns out about half your images are deleted or missing.  Didn't find what I was looking for in there. :lol:

Edited by Firepower