Legio Scout Squad & Scout Biker Squad

Since the Legio does not follow standard Astartes recruiting practices, there are no normal Scouts that are neophytes as in other Chapters. Instead, when the tactical situation calls for scout capabilities, full battle-brothers will don Scout armour in order to accomplish the mission.

A Legio army may not use the normal Scout Squad or Scout Bike Squads entries from Codex: Space Marines. Instead, a Legio Scout Squad may be taken as an Elites choice and a Legio Scout Bike Squad may be taken as a Fast Attack choice.

LEGIO SCOUT SQUAD (90 points)

Legio Scout Sergeant444414294+Legio Scout444414184+

Unit entry and rules otherwise identical to Scout Squad entry in Codex: Space Marines, except that additional Legio Scouts cost +15 pts per model. Note that the Legio Scout Sergeant may not be upgraded to Torias Telion.

LEGIO SCOUT BIKE SQUAD (85 points)

Legio Scout Biker Sergeant444414(5)294+Legio Biker Scout444414(5)184+

Unit entry and rules otherwise identical to Scout Bike Squad entry in Codex: Space Marines, except that additional Legio Scout Bikers cost +25 pts per model.

The standard Legio army uses the standard rules and army list found in Codex: Space Marines, with only a few exceptions. One notable exception is that the special characters are not allowed (we'll be creating some special characters for the Legio). The Scout and Scout Biker squads are two other examples. We're aiming for keeping things as simple and acceptable as possible, so we're not adding on things. All we've done (so far) has been to adjust the stat lines to match full battle-brother stats (in Scout armour) and the cost. Otherwise, we haven't made any changes.

At this point these are still proposed. We appreciate any feedback you might have before we finalize the rules. Don't worry about the special characters for now (we'll get to them later). This is all about the Scouts.

The feedback si just about rules, or about the whole idea?

Cause I don't think a marine would be confortable leaving his PA home, for some other duty. I agree that scouts for the legio NEEDS to be elite, but I think it would be more interesting if they have verteran, permanent, scouts.

My 2 cents :rolleyes:

Doesn't the Spacewolves have a similar set up for there scouts? IT is just a thought that you could wrap some fluff around that additionally.

I like the idea....

Do you think you'll modify it so they can have Storms assigned to them... (hint a BS 4 Storm?)?

We'd like feedback on both the rules and the concept.

The Space Wolves provide one example of experienced battle-brothers that perform scouting missions. The Raven Guard Index Astartes article and Insignium Astartes also provide solid evidence of full battle-brothers performing scouting missions. So there is ample official background material to support the concept.

The premise of the Legio doesn't allow for the current Scouts entries. If the stat lines hadn't been adjusted, we wouldn't have an issue. As it is, though, the difference in stat lines between Scouts and full battle-brothers, as well as the perceived need for Scout capabilities, requires some adjustment.

We don't want to give them a Veteran stat line, though, nor do we want to make them nifty because we're talking about homegrown rules. While it would be nice to turn them into something nifty, the more conservative approach is both supported by the concept we're trying to implement and likely to be acceptable to other players.

Don't expect nifty special rules or options.

• 8 months later...

It's similar to DA scouts and I believe that there is one negative point. Who will take them while they cannot claim objectives? Arent they only viable as snipers and support group only?

I believe it's okay to increase points value for the stats, but to become elite? It's making scouts, such as myself, a lot worse :-)

• 4 weeks later...

It's been quite awhile since I addressed this concept, but it has reared its head in another project (that will be revealed soon). Basically, we're looking at a Veteran Scout squad, too, which pretty much forces us to shift the Battle-Brother Scout squad described above back to Troops.

Even if we shift the "regular" Scouts back to Troops, though, I'm not sure that they should be able to claim objectives. We have to look at this squad in the context of how the Legio utilizes them tactically. Scout squads perform reconnaissance, scouting, surveillance, sniper, sabotage, and similar sneaky sneaky duties. They are not sent in to claim objectives (normally). I see three alternatives. First, we just treat them as a normal Troops unit without any further complications. Second, we don't allow them to claim objectives even though they're a Troops choice. Third, we limit the number of Scout squads that might be included in a Legio army. There are pros and cons to each of these options, and there are probably other alternatives that I haven't thought of, so feel free to discuss.

Shifting back to the Veteran Scouts, our starting point is the regular Scout squad (rules, options, etc.) with the profile shifted to that of a Veteran (except for the Sv, of course, which will remain appropriate to models in Scout armour). We're then going to tweak the options a bit to reflect their veteran status (not quite going as far as Vanguard Veterans). This will be a fairly expensive unit. We'll flesh it out a bit more once we've made a decision on the Troops Scout squad.

Archived