Deep Striking Land Raiders...

Wadey13

QUOTE (wizard12 @ Apr 10 2010, 08:44 PM)

I don't like the idea of deep strikeing land raider either. I mean, your thowing your best, most holy piece of equipment which you as a chapter only have 43 of, off a fast (and I mean really fast) moving flying vehicle. Not even todays armed forces are stupid enough to throw tanks out of planes (though i'm sure we've tried). Also, if it's as simple as that, then how come you just decided to put it in this codex. At least give other SM players something other than "Oh yes, they just fly their thunder hawk transporters (not exactly common pieces of equipment either) over some ground and drop their land raider."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:C-130_airdrop.jpg

Hope I did that right, posting the pic. If not just go to the image yourself (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:C-130_airdrop.jpg), its cool. Or Google airdrop tank.

If we can do this now, they could deliver a Raider in the future.

Edit: guess I don't yet know how to post a pic.

fast vindicators... I keep hearing the wailing and gnashing of teeth on them.

I wish they had potms and could DS. (lol)

Fast? Meh, an easy trick.

demolisher cannon is an ordanance weapon. You can't move and shoot

Might wanna double check your BRB for 5th ed ;)

Sabadin is right: Ord can move & shoot, though no other weapons (even defensive)

Ord BARRAGE can't move if it wants to shoot.

• 10 months later...
I don't like the idea of deep strikeing land raider either. I mean, your thowing your best, most holy piece of equipment which you as a chapter only have 43 of, off a fast (and I mean really fast) moving flying vehicle. Not even todays armed forces are stupid enough to throw tanks out of planes (though i'm sure we've tried). Also, if it's as simple as that, then how come you just decided to put it in this codex. At least give other SM players something other than "Oh yes, they just fly their thunder hawk transporters (not exactly common pieces of equipment either) over some ground and drop their land raider."

Guilliman must be turing in his stasis field thinking "How on earth did I not think of that!"

Edit: then again, it is quite cool when you picture it in your head.

there are actually currently vehicles that are inserted from planes. some using parachutes some just drive out the back of a cargo plane that's flying really close to the ground...

I can't really see the point in Deep Striking Land Raiders tbh, most armies have ways of taking them out. In my 1750 DW list for example, mines are lucky to make it past 1 turn and thats me using 3 of them.

It's not as bad as using khan and a squad of assault terminators to flank a land raider redeemer in a vanilla whitescars list.

I love it when people go errr... Shouldn't your redeemer be on the table at the start?

Haha, no!

Giving LAnd Raiders deep strike illustrates why Matt Ward doesn't have a great analytical mind when it comes to rules writing.

so if using the justification that land raiders are deep struck via transporters why cant the other vehicles DS? i would love to deep strike 3 vindies lol.

I hope you nay Sayers realize that we're talking about a LAND RAIDER! The Tank which can fight by itself on land, in the sea, and undoubtedly in the air. It's armor can take any weapon in the game on and come away giggling a good percent of the time. If Terminator Armor can survive a reentry why can't a Landraider? They probably place them on the ground, but a hard landing at terminal velocity is not going to break something a Rail Cannon can't even do consistently.

I know they're obviously dropped off via some sort of transport vehicle, like a Thunderhawk. However, I personally like to think it my head of a far more "bamf" entry. Pushing them out of the hangers up in orbit and having the hundred of tons beasts throttle through the atmosphere like a meteor where they land to fight with an earth-shattering slam and crater. The top hatch opens, the crew commander pops out and points forward. Commence driving and shooting.

On that note, I've always found it a bit weird that drop-pods nor our Land Raiders couldn't land on troops. I mean for obvious game reasons it can't, but it's a multi-thousand pound metal teardrop/tank slamming down to the ground. Some random orks, or even SM, would just be turned to paste by that.

Because of it's delayed deployment, shooty contents are better, most especially if it's to compliment a DoA style list.

It has some tactical advantage if your army's other components are designed to kill anti-armour units at range; ie. If the enemy gets his anti-armour weapon models killed before it arrives, it's unstoppable.

But they couldn't figure out how to super-charge the Land Raider engines, ... So the fluff at least tries to explain it, though I might agree it's just a bit of hand-waving.

this is wrong. The chapter has figured out how to Lucify the engines. They just cause damage if used in the long term. (Check out the Luficer Assault force Formation to see Fast Raiders [<3 Tycho <3]) They actually use them in Armeggedon to take out an Ork Speed Freak force that was harassing their allies.

Archived