BA 5th Edition FAQ - VII

Morticon

I would find it hard to explain however that a vehical that I can see part of gets a 3+ save but a vehical that I can't see at all only gets a 4+ that to me doesn't really make much sense. I can see where arguments over that little rule would come up.

Fair enough - but arguments over that little rule would all be based in fluff and realism vs. rules.

To aid in that area of fluff and realism however, I point you to this;

The book also states that the 3+ "represents such an extremely angled shot". Nothing about the amount of the vehicle being in cover -just the fact that the shot is at an extreme angle.

If the vehicle cannot be seen at all and the part of the hull intersected by the lance is beyond 45 degrees, one could easily argue it should be getting the 3+ save too. While the rule doesn't literally encompass such circumstances, it's intention seems to support it.

The only thing that matters is if they can see the target (first) unit, after that the rest get 4+ saves due to fireing through the first one. if it was only targeting the vehicle that you can see little to none of i would agree with you though.

The only thing that matters is if they can see the target (first) unit, after that the rest get 4+ saves due to fireing through the first one. if it was only targeting the vehicle that you can see little to none of i would agree with you though.

I do believe anyone using this power is intentionally out to get as many ducks in a row as possible, thus the 4+ is justified.

this has honestly never come up where i play. i can see the validity of giving them the cover save even though it doesn't seem to be intended that way.

blood lance is in no way over powered, even without the cover saves, as we've been playing it here, it often has no more range than a normal meltagun and it only inflicts a single hit on a unit, it's nothing like JotWW. i hope this gets a mention in an official faq, because if they get cover saves the power is almost useless.

this has honestly never come up where i play. i can see the validity of giving them the cover save even though it doesn't seem to be intended that way.

blood lance is in no way over powered, even without the cover saves, as we've been playing it here, it often has no more range than a normal meltagun and it only inflicts a single hit on a unit, it's nothing like JotWW. i hope this gets a mention in an official faq, because if they get cover saves the power is almost useless.

Matey two things;

1. Why do you need an FAQ when the rules are so clear?

Pg. 21 - When are models in Cover?"

"When any part of the terget models body is obscured from the point of view of the firer, the target model is in cover."

Pg.62 - Vehicles and Cover

"At least 50% of the facing of the vehicle that is being targeted needs to be hidden by intervening terrain or models from the point of view of the firer for the vehicle to claim to be in cover."

(And i need to check here quick- did you mean yoru group play with a cover save or without?? If you play without- then read on- if you play with, then ignore the next bit!!)

2. Its perfectly acceptable to come to an agreement within your group - but that is a house rule. And passing your house rule off as the rule because its the majority in your area is not really fair as its misleading. It doesnt matter how effective or ineffective the power is, the rules are very clear.

i meant that we didn't grant cover saves. i don't know why, but no one ever considered it. and i understand that the rules as written support them getting a cover save and i plan on playing it that way from now on, but i doubt it will affect me that much since i don't plan on taking the power that much anymore. it just doesn't seem that useful anymore.

Do you measure range for Sanguinary Priests' FC buble before charging or after?

Its currently unclear. Most people accept that it is before charging.

OMG - LoS is prerequisite of targeting a primary unit. If the lance travels through that onto other guys/vehicles then, just as scattered blast markers, they will do damage to them.

After thinking more about this question I find that the issue isn’t with the Blood Lance but it’s with the concept of scattered shots in general. Per the BRB pg. 30:

Note that it is possible, and absolutely fine, for a scattering shot to land beyond the weapon's range and line of sight, representing the chance of ricochets, the missile blasting through cover and other random chance. In these cases hits are worked out as normal, and can hit units out of range and sight (or even your own troops, or models locked in combat). Emphasis added.

So the problem is what is considered normal for a shot that’s both out of range and outside of LoS? I can see where cover saves should be considered normal but difficult to account for when LoS is completely blocked by impassable terrain or a vehicle model.

So the basic 4+ save seems to be a fine enough rule of thumb for lack of a better definition of normal. Still I hope this get’s FAQ’ed when the FAQ powers decide to grace Codex: BA with their official sanction.

-OMG

Something else I happened to notice, that I don't think has been brought up yet.

Furioso Librarians can take the Wings of Sanguinius psychic power, that would allow a normal Librarian to move like a jump infantry/jetbike(depending on his wargear, bike or no bike).

A furioso librarian of course is neither. Does he/it now become a skimmer (as well as a walker), with all the rules that go with it? Some rules such as:

I suppose it would be able to move at cruising speed (as a skimmer) and then run (as a walker)?

Walkers are always able to fire their weapons, no matter how far they move. Skimmers however are restricted in their shooting depending on their movement that turn. Which takes precedence?

Not of any great importance, just thiking of what knowledge I should have when my opponents become shocked and hurt that those three furiosos that were a safe 18" away, are now engaging in an orgy of melee death with their units :P .

Oh aye, not a bad point. Over-complicating it though. The power says you move as if jump infantry. It doesn't say your unit type changes at all. ie, no restrictions to dreadnoughtness occur.

I believe stubborn would override the fear penalty

Righto. If stubborn means they never fall back, then they would be immune to this power.

Its not an issue of stubborn -thats "fearless" you're thinking about. Stubborn would not be immune to this power, the would simply not take the test at a -2 !

So this may be a stupid question that has been answered somewhere but I can't seem to find it. Since the honor guard says that it can be bought for every hq you include in your army does that mean that you can buy one for meph or any of the other non ic char therefor ging them a squad ?

Honour Guard aren't retinues. Being able to buy one per HQ is simply a limit of the number of HG's you can have.. they don't have to accompany the HQ's that allow their purchase.

And as Mephiston isn't an IC, he can't join that Honour Guard squad.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

Can BT Dreads' split their attacks between ICs and attached units when in B2B with both? And further, can extra generated attacks be re-allocated between both at player discretion?

How does one handle a dreadnought's line of sight for Rage? Is it a 360 view?

Thats something we possibly shouldnt touch ><; The chaos dread debate has raged on in every forum for pages and pages and pages.

Archived