BA 5th Edition FAQ - VII

Morticon

I am having some debate on the workings of Magna Grapple and Melta Gun on a Furioso.

My understanding is all weapons are fired simultaneously on a target. You can not fire one before the other and vice-versa.

So when you measure for range of the melta is it the first position of the vehicle, not the position after the magna grapple. For the extra D6.?

This was touched on very briefly, but I felt like it could have used more clarification. I could use more clarification, anyway :huh:

The Honor Guard entry says specifically that any HQ choice can take an Honor Guard, excepting an Honor Guard itself. An answer was previously given that all of the single model units (Meph, DC Tycho, Sang) cannot join an Honor Guard squad due to the lack of the IC rule, but is that really how it works? I don't have them handy, but there are other codices where a retinue is taken for a special character that lacks the IC rule (specifically Tyrant Guard comes to mind). Isn't it the retinue that is joining the character, and not the other way around?

I don't have it handy to quote, but I rememer reading in the BRB that IC's cannot leave special units that do not occupy a FOC slot which were taken specifically to accompany the IC. Obviously single model units, lacking the IC USR, could not leave their retinue either; I bring it up to illustrate the accompanying models idea.

If the answer is still "single model units cannot join a retinue", then the result is the possibility of having a single model unit running around the battlefield being shadowed (or perhaps not shadowed) by an Honor Guard squad that was chosen to accompany that HQ unit.

Loose Honor Guard running around the battlefield, anyone? Perhaps accompanied by non-HQ IC's, such as Chaplains taken as Elites or Sanguinary Priests?

This was touched on very briefly, but I felt like it could have used more clarification. I could use more clarification, anyway <_<

The Honor Guard entry says specifically that any HQ choice can take an Honor Guard, excepting an Honor Guard itself. An answer was previously given that all of the single model units (Meph, DC Tycho, Sang) cannot join an Honor Guard squad due to the lack of the IC rule, but is that really how it works? I don't have them handy, but there are other codices where a retinue is taken for a special character that lacks the IC rule (specifically Tyrant Guard comes to mind). Isn't it the retinue that is joining the character, and not the other way around?

I don't have it handy to quote, but I rememer reading in the BRB that IC's cannot leave special units that do not occupy a FOC slot which were taken specifically to accompany the IC. Obviously single model units, lacking the IC USR, could not leave their retinue either; I bring it up to illustrate the accompanying models idea.

If the answer is still "single model units cannot join a retinue", then the result is the possibility of having a single model unit running around the battlefield being shadowed (or perhaps not shadowed) by an Honor Guard squad that was chosen to accompany that HQ unit.

Loose Honor Guard running around the battlefield, anyone? Perhaps accompanied by non-HQ IC's, such as Chaplains taken as Elites or Sanguinary Priests?

BA honour guard are not a retinue. They are their own unit. Any IC can join they as well. They are pretty great. No one expects the librarian to break from the unit and assault a different unit. The look of surprise on your opponents face is priceless.

vharing is correct. Retinues don't exist in modern marine codexes. The Honor Guard is its own unit, it does not have to join the character. And in the case of Mephiston, Sanguinor, DC tycho, it can't join the character.

Wait, our honor guard champion doesn't get the champion rules? I mean the "must always engage Independent characters in combat" "rerolls to hit ICs"?

Is he just a veteran with ws5 and a power weapon who happens to be called "champion"?

Wait, our honor guard champion doesn't get the champion rules? I mean the "must always engage Independent characters in combat" "rerolls to hit ICs"?

Is he just a veteran with ws5 and a power weapon who happens to be called "champion"?

Yeah. Codex marines Command Squad champions are same way.

Yeah. Codex marines champions are same way.

Wait, what?! Sorry but that didn't make sense to me the way you choosed your words... Last time i checked SM Honour Guard are artificer armor, power weapon weilding marines that come in a squad of 3: Champion + 2 Honor Guard as oposed to our 4 honorguard + novitae in power armor and bolters/swords.

In the SM Dex the champion has WS5 A3 S2+ and a special rule that is very similar to the Fantasy champion - he MUST fight Characters in the assault and gets a BONUS against them.

So which one is it? Do they get the special rule for being champions or are they a vet with WS5 and a power weapon?

Remember, our Honor Guard are the equivalent of the Codex Space Marine Command Squads. Our champion is the same as the champion in the command squad (codex space marines has 2 champions) We don't have the reroll rules you reference.

Just because the squads have the same name does not make them the same.

• 1 month later...
I'd like to know if it is possible for a Librarian with apost. upgrade to use the same power twice, i.e; Might of heroes on seperate models, and Shield (if it fails).

Based on precedence from GW, sure.

• 4 weeks later...
If one would take two librarians with Might of Heroes, put them in the same squad and cast the spell would the bonus attacks stack? Giving the squad 2d3 attacks?

Might of Heroes applies to 1 model in the squad. Each Librarian can cast it, but ts unclear if 1 model could benefit from both MoHs or would you have to apply them to 2 different models in the squad.

If one would take two librarians with Might of Heroes, put them in the same squad and cast the spell would the bonus attacks stack? Giving the squad 2d3 attacks?

Might of Heroes applies to 1 model in the squad.

Oh how embarrassing. Good thing I haven't actually used the power in any game yet.

Each Librarian can cast it, but ts unclear if 1 model could benefit from both MoHs or would you have to apply them to 2 different models in the squad.

Exactly. Is there any similar powers in other armies and how have you handled them?

I would let them stack.

Cases in Warhammer 40k with stacking bonusses from psychic powers are very rare. Of the top of my head, Blood Angels and Grey Knights are the only armies able to actually cast any powers which can stack. BA with the Might of Heroes, Grey Knights with Hammerhand. Now Hammerhand specifically states how multiple instances of the power works (independent characters in the unit) - IE the unit won't benefit from multiple uses. Might of Heroes merely gives a flat random bonus, no further explanation.

Besides, I have a hard time seeing when 2d3 extra attacks might be that helpful, gaining rerolls to hit for an entire unit is just so much better.

I would let them stack.

Cases in Warhammer 40k with stacking bonusses from psychic powers are very rare. Of the top of my head, Blood Angels and Grey Knights are the only armies able to actually cast any powers which can stack. BA with the Might of Heroes, Grey Knights with Hammerhand. Now Hammerhand specifically states how multiple instances of the power works (independent characters in the unit) - IE the unit won't benefit from multiple uses. Might of Heroes merely gives a flat random bonus, no further explanation.

Besides, I have a hard time seeing when 2d3 extra attacks might be that helpful, gaining rerolls to hit for an entire unit is just so much better.

The extra attacks can be better when placed on a Powerfist/Thunder hammer guy depending on what you are fighting.

Also, if up against something nasty in combat that is slower than you with good saves (say some monsterous creatures or Hammernators) you might want a particullarly good power weapon model (Astorath, Dante, even a lightning claw sergeant) to get a ton of attacks to try to take the enemy out before they swing.

True, depending on the opponent a single powerful model with a lot of attacks is worth it's weight in plastic. But depending on the squad the librarian is with it really depends.

Might of Heroes will net an average 1 wound on a single high str weapon. (approx. +2 Attacks, hitting on 3+, wounding on 2+. not accounting for saves)

Unleashed Rage will give you about 1 wound pr. 3 or 4 marines, with average ws/str.

Of course, if you are running dual librarians in the same squad, having one with rage/might and the other with might/somthingdifferent is perfectly viable.

It gets really interresting once you hit 11+ attacks, and wether or not you can break the "roof" on the profiles (Wounded Lemartes +2x3 extra attacks).

• 3 weeks later...

The new BRB FAQ answers the question of might stacking. All psychic powers stack, unless otherwise stated.

Also, no psyker can attempt the same power more than once a turn unless the power specifically allows it (or the character has a special rule overriding this like Ahriman has).

Yeah, had done math-hammer based around a wounded Lemartes with a max potential of 13 attacks on the charge at str 6 init 7 awhile back, and the new BRB FAQ does indeed make it possible. (With two libbys to cast MoH on him, of course.)

• 4 weeks later...

Granted that a Furioso Librarian cannot be upgraded with extra equipment....does that also mean that the Librarian himself cannot be upgraded to an Epistolary with the 4 psychic abilities, with 2 per player turn at 50 additional points?

Cheers

(just working on by 6th draft of a BA army...I want to get this right)

Furioso Librarians can not be upgraded to Episoltaries.

Normal Episoltary Libarians can not take 4 psychic powers, just 2.

Apologies...I misread the bit about the additional powers, it's just 2 powers per turn, (one of which, I understand, can be to use the Force Weapon to try and instant death your opponent in the event of an unsaved wound - thus the question)

However, at the risk of sounding picky...is there a reason why not being allowed to upgrade the character...apart from the fact that the Librarian is the only one talked about in the Furiouso upgrade? After all, the upgrade doesn't say that the Librarian is an HQ choice, and the Furioso is normally an Elite choice, but I assume that the Librarian remains an HQ even in the Dread?

Genuinely interested.

Cheers

Archived