Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Duel to the Death

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
82 replies to this topic

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,970 posts
The first ever Arena of Death conducted at the B&C was held to recognize a large batch of newly-appointed moderators way back in the days of ezBoard (I was among those new mods at the time - my character died in the first round :) ). We've had a number of Arena of Death competitions since then, but we've tended to focus on the members at large. Every once in awhile, though, we like to recognize the sterling efforts of our staff here. These members put a lot of time and effort into the site behind the scenes to keep the B&C a friendly place where dedicated hobbyists can come to relax and (hopefully) enjoy some civil discussion about the hobby and the power armoured armies of the WH40K game universe.

So it is once again time to recognize these staff members with a little fun and shenanigans - a Duel to the Death (cue dramatic music).

This will be an Arena of Death pitting individual models against each other.

The competition is open to all staff members (except myself). This includes all administrators, custodes, moderati, moderati cedo, librarians, and the Adepti Domus.

All a staff member has to do to participate is post a picture here of their fully painted miniature, along with stats. The requirements:
  • HQ independent character
  • 145 points or less
  • 0-1 attack at Str 8 -or- instant kill ability
  • Not accompanied by any models with stat lines
  • No bikes, jump packs, or the equivalent (just to keep things easy)
  • No monstrous creatures or vehicles
  • Special characters are okay if they meet all of the above criteria
  • Any B&C army is allowed (including Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, Inquisitors, and Daemons)
Note that I'm allowing them a little leeway here, as well as encouraging creativity. So we'll be using the counts-as rule and allowing them to come up with some out of the ordinary stuff (hypothetically, I'd allow someone to model a Space Marine Captain with golden bracelets a la Wonder Woman and have those represent a combat shield, but I doubt anyone would do something so silly - but you get the idea). Some exceptions to the above will be granted on a case-by-case basis (the staff member in question will clear them through me before posting their entry here).

They'll have until May 21st to submit their entries - the first battles will be conducted that weekend with batreps published as quickly as I and the other authors can get them done.

We're not going to have a storyline with this one, and the battle reports won't be all that flowery. They'll be fun(ny) and entertaining (hopefully), but not up (down?) to Black Library standards :) .

Battles will be to the death (or whatever humiliating ending the authors of the batreps come up with - we might come up with some doozies), and it will be a single-elimination tournament.

Now why does this matter to you?

Well, each staff member will declare which forum he's fighting for. Any staff member can declare for any forum - there's no limit to the number of staff members per forum (i.e., multiple staff members can declare for the same forum).

The staff member that wins get bragging rights as the 2010 Staff Champion, and there will be something nifty in it for the forum at large (I haven't quite figured out what, yet, but it will be something that can be lorded over all of the other (loser) forums). At the very least, the winning staff member will get a signature banner image and members may choose to use a "My Mod Won" banner image with appropriate imagery (Chapter/Legion and character-specific). There might be more, depending upon what I can pull off.

So if you don't see your friendly neighborhood staff member posting a character in here, let him know what a cowardly git he's being and remind him that he's fighting for your honour. Some of them might try to pull some excuse out such as (in a lame voice) "but I'm too busy with work/school/family to get a mini painted up" or "I really have to focus on getting my army painted up for a Rogue Trader tournament" or something equally pathetic, but you know that's just a cop-out for being afraid to fight and lose in front of everyone. Keep them honest.

Expect a lot of good natured smack talking as we all let our hair down (those of us that still have hair, that is) and have a good time. Y'all are encouraged to get in on the fun (just be sure to keep it fun and light without any profanity or other buzzkill stuff).

gallery_26_548_13550.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_548_4494.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_6764_14592.pnggallery_26_6764_3621.png

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts
Glad to see this finally starting up.
to bad there wont be a proper storyline and that it isn't tied into Nestir as suggested, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what all of you come up with.
Best of luck! ;)

Edited by Chaptermaster Graymantle, 17 April 2010 - 07:37 AM.

New-GA-hotlink-banner-190511.jpg

Aurelius Rex

Aurelius Rex

++ GESTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,726 posts
What the heck - I'll throw my hat into the ring to uphold the honour of the Cedo mods. ;)

Sergeant Ephran Pallas - Eighth Company, Scions of Dorn
T
he eighth Assault Company is the place that marines are first trained in the use of the prized mark 4 Apollyon chainswords, a pattern used almost exclusively by the Scions of Dorn. The opportunity to wield an Apollyon in combat is highly sought-after, and the sergeants of the Assault Company are meticulous in ensuring the marines that eventually pass into the Battle Company assault squads are worthy to carry their blades.

Posted Image

Among these sergeants, Ephran Pallas has elevated the instruction of the Apollyon to the point of obsession. Under his fastidious and inspired tutelage the Scions in his charge rapidly gain an innate understanding of the idiosyncrasies and intricacies of the blade, extracting maximum advantage from the enhanced reach and rotation speed, while compensating for it's slightly greater weight. When not with his Company, Sergeant Pallas is often found stalking the halls of the Chapter's Forges, subtly terrorising the artificers to ensure that the weaponry they supply is worthy of his marines. Among the tech-adepts of the Forges there are few more devastating sights than the disdainfully raised eyebrow of Sergeant Pallas when inspecting their handiwork.

Chapter legend has it that he is unmatched in the Chapter in the use of the Apollyon, and that he has the ear of the Chapter Master when it comes to deciding if a sergeant is to be granted the honour of bearing one of the rare and priceless mark 6 Apollyons. Yet despite this, he has remained the sergeant of the second squad of a Reserve Company for more than two centuries. Some say that it is due to his obsessive focus on the Apollyon preventing him from gaining the wider vision required for higher office, but most believe that he has found his ideal position in life, and has stubbornly refused transfers and offers of promotion to follow his vocation of training his brother Astartes in the Way of the Blade.

+++

For the purposes of this AoD, Sergeant Pallas has the stats of a space marine captain with power fist and a 'counts-as' storm shield - he uses the Apollyon chainsword to deflect blows and bullets - for 140 points.

Right... who's up for a fight. :P
Hidden Content

Brother Cambrius

Brother Cambrius

++ VISUM COLORATOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,794 posts
Wish I was in the higher ups now...guess I'll jusat have to support someone this time. Now who to pick? I accept bribes of imperial credits, weaponry, a funky new suit of power armour...:D

Cambrius

gallery_26154_15777_7413.png sml_gallery_81492_11492_822.pngjHkptLG.png]gallery_77459_13226_2824.pnggallery_48988_10069_2782.png gallery_48988_11572_5225.pnggallery_48988_15094_15503.png

Captain Juan Juarez

Captain Juan Juarez

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,518 posts
Who ever steps up for the Liber Astartes.. Fail and I'll end you.

:sweat:
" They made you to be untouched by God or mortal. As I cannot kill you, so I curse you, not with death but with life.

I curse you - with the pain of ten thousand days in the Dark Place, with the life's blood of a mage's sacrifice, with Death's authority held in my hands.

I curse you, and I strike your name from history, stripped of arrogance and pride, empty of the self you once knew, gutted of all you are. I take your name and all you have won by the strength of your hand. I curse you for eternity, to find only darkness where once you knew your own face.

And I dub you the Ragged Man."

Sigismund Himself

Sigismund Himself

++SCRIBERE NOVELLUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,415 posts
And in the blue 'Librarium' corner...

Brother-Codicier Korvac of the Legio

F
resh from the snowy wargrounds of Nestir V, Korvac already bears the skull of one mod foolish enough to challenge him. Searching for more challenges after emerging unscathed (well, barring the mere flesh wound that was the loss of an arm) from two battles with Team Chaos, he returns to the Legio to defend the Librarium's honour against any mere subforum-bound mod or mighty admin.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Of Blood Ravens geneseed, Korvac was seconded to the Legio's Librarium as a mere Lexicanium. As he continued his service to the Legio, his powers grew under the tutelage of his Space Wolf and Warmonger mentors. With his elevation to Codicier, Korvac forged his own familiar in the forges, using the skull of his Space Wolf tutor who had died gallantly in the sealing of a warp portal during the Girant campaign, a length of chain that came as a gift from a Black Templar and a lantern from the halls of the Legio's Librarium. Imbued with a part of his own power, the unnamed familiar has saved Korvac's life on numerous occasions.

Apart from his battlefield skills, Korvac's talents lie in the use of the Emperor's Tarot. Using this arcane suite, the Librarian has become adept at reading the strands of destiny and fate that lay before him and the Legio. Already foreseeing his victory over any mod whose name begins with F, Korvac is confident in his chances of victory during the first round. Armoured in artificer armour, guarded with fell wards, armed with a pole with a bloody big blade on the bottom of it, not to mention several nasty psychic powers, and a name as awesome as Korvac, this Librarian is ready to put any challengers back in their place...

For the purposes of this AoD, Korvac has the profile of a C:SM Librarian armed with terminator armour, a storm shield (he wears artificer armour and has formidable psychic protection in the form of wards) and a force weapon with the psychic powers Null Zone and Smite for 145 points.

Edited by Sigismund Himself, 18 April 2010 - 08:00 AM.

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts
Well, considering that the Nestir timeline is still active, although the gameplay has been paused; Korvac suddenly stepping out of the Nestir timeline and into another gameplay/timeline makes for a strange turn of events.
I guess this must have happened before Nestir. - Or after - if he makes it. Or maybe it is a psychic farsight or a dream, or time travel, or another Korvac, or an alternative universe, or hmmm...
What happens if Korvac dies here? What happens if he dies at Nestir before or after he dies here?
A big ball of wibbely wobbely, timey wimey... - stuff...
You better win this one, or we have a potentially universe shaking paradoxical event on our hands that could destroy as much as three fourths of existence.
Don't look away, don't close your eyes and don't blink. Don't even blink, or your dead. - Good luck!
- Smith

PS!
Is that an original piece of artwork made specifically for Korvac?

Edited by Chaptermaster Graymantle, 18 April 2010 - 01:25 PM.

New-GA-hotlink-banner-190511.jpg

Ferrata

Ferrata

++ PUNIO TRUCIDO ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 9,909 posts

Well, considering that the Nestir timeline is still active, although the gameplay has been paused; Korvac suddenly stepping out of the Nestir timeline and into another gameplay/timeline makes for a strange turn of events.

Not really as this doesn't have a time line. It doesn't really exist, it never really happened :HQ: When Korvac gets pounded into some bloody mess, it doesn't really affect anywhere else as it didn't really happen.

Just finishing my entry. I might improve the model's paint job now I've got some new brushes and I need to throw some fluff together...and a tagline for the Liber winning banner....

Aurelius Rex

Aurelius Rex

++ GESTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,726 posts
Looks like a Liber / Librarium lockout so far. :ph34r:

Where are the First Founding chapters or the Chaos legions?

Think of the epic chances for the Space Wolves to battle the Dark Angels, (or the Thousand Sons) the Iron Hands to get retribution from the Emperor's Children for the death of their primarch!

Will they not rise to the challenge? :HQ:
Hidden Content

Chaplain Lucifer

Chaplain Lucifer

++ RHETOR ORIENS ASTRUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 15,243 posts
Give time so my SW entry can rule teh battle arena...
Posted ImagePosted Image

Ferrata

Ferrata

++ PUNIO TRUCIDO ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 9,909 posts
Lucifer, have you switched sides? I knew the Dark Angels had a thing about turning their backs on everything (like The Emperor, humanity, the good side), but to put down your dress and become a Space Wolf? Should have gone to Khorne, much more civilised :)

Barret

Barret

++PRAEDO EIULATUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 1,897 posts
I, too, will be throwing in for the Liber. Just picked up the parts I need and then something kilted this way comes. Oh, and Ferrata? Don't bother thinking too hard about the tagline. I'm sure that'll be down to me anyways. ;)

Ferrata

Ferrata

++ PUNIO TRUCIDO ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 9,909 posts
You do realise it is the winner who gets the banner, not the person who dies the quickest ;)

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,970 posts

You do realise it is the winner who gets the banner, not the person who dies the quickest :D

Maybe we can create little toe-tag banners for the losers. They might have little statements like "I got beat down in the Arena of Death" and "I went to the Arena of Death and all I got was this lousy tombstone". :ph34r:

gallery_26_548_13550.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_548_4494.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_6764_14592.pnggallery_26_6764_3621.png

JamesI

JamesI

++ OBITUS CAELESTIE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 14,137 posts
As long as the posted model is allowed to be wearing a jump pack, but not use it, I'll make up a character for this. Don't think I have any HQs for my Blood Angels right now without a jump pack (If I have time, I'll paint up the Librarian terminator from Space Hulk and use that).

If I take a Blood Angels Librarian, am I disallowed from using Wings of Sanguinius as one of my psychic powers?

gallery_26_4045_8286.gif

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,970 posts
Yes, you are disallowed from having a jumpy psyker.

I'm allowing a lot of leeway in WYSIWYG, though, so even though the model might have a jump pack, we can just pretend that he didn't perform the Rites of Jumping and it doesn't work for the purposes of this little soire.

Or you can use Calistarius from Space Hulk (which might even get you some cool points).

Apothete

Apothete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 624 posts
Just for clarification purposes, am I too weedy a git or do Lexicanii count under the Librarian heading?

If we're allowed, I'll totally throw down for the Liber Astartes.
You just had to look around you, Grey Knight, and you'd have seen it. What is Chaos? Suffering, you might say. Oppression. Deceit. But could not all of these things be said of your Imperium?
-Ghargatuloth, Prince of a Thousand Faces, Grey Knights.

The Exonerators Index Astartes WIP + The Inscrutable Index Traitoris WIP + The Black Friars Index Astartes WIP

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,970 posts
The Lexicanii are invited to participate in this as well.

Note for the rest of the members - this is a teaser of something to come for the board. Expect a big AoD for everyone (except the staff) shortly after this little staff AoD is done.

Ferrata

Ferrata

++ PUNIO TRUCIDO ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 9,909 posts
Brother-Captain Purah - Twelfth Company, Wings of Death
Posted Image
Captain Purah aided by Johnny Boom-Boom

The Wings of Death venerate their own heroes above all else – for it is these ancients that define the pride of the chapter. Though many of these legends have long joined Ynsoldea and her angels, a few still walk amongst the chapter. One of the most feared is Captain Purah , Keeper of the Dead, who has led the Twelfth Company for the pass four centuries. So blessed is he by the Wings patron goddess that wherever his feet touch earth where blood has been shed, the dead are unable to rest. Scrambling out of their graves, they are bound to the will of Purah – often used as a shambling horde before the guns and combat weapons of the Astartes. The Twelfth Company have found one of the few things more fearsome than chaotic Astartes – the walking dead of friends and foes.

Like all brothers of the Wings of Death, Purah has been expected to become the master of combat - focussing his energy and training into a weapon of his choosing. Whilst other chapters may rely heavily on the sword, or the hammer, or the spear, the Astartes of the Wings will slaughter their enemies with all weapons imaginable. It has taken Purah's favour to use a massive, four-headed flail that is able to strike multiple enemies at once. Whilst it may lack the finesse of duelling swords, or brutal nature of punching daggers, the indiscriminative nature and range of the flail have allowed the Keeper of the Dead to continuously add to his ranks.

For the purposes of this AoD, Purah has the stats of a Space Marine Captain (Codex: Space Marines) armed with a Pair of Lightning Claws (Four-headed flail) and an Auxiliary Grenade Launcher (thanks to Johnny Boom-Boom) - for 145 points

Sigismund Himself

Sigismund Himself

++SCRIBERE NOVELLUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,415 posts

You do realise it is the winner who gets the banner, not the person who dies the quickest :P

Maybe we can create little toe-tag banners for the losers. They might have little statements like "I got beat down in the Arena of Death" and "I went to the Arena of Death and all I got was this lousy tombstone". :lol:

I'll start preparing one for Ferrata now then shall I? I mean half his team is already dead, it won't be long before the other half joins him in the grave ;)

Max_Dammit

Max_Dammit

++ EXCURSOR INDOMITUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 3,389 posts
Brother-Dammot for the sons of Russ

Wolfguard battle leader, TDA, Stormbolter, Wolftail, Frostblade, WTN.

Posted Image

*Ill edit the post with more info, it's busy at work :huh:

Edited by Max_Dammit, 27 April 2010 - 09:31 AM.

Sigismund replied.'"Are we going to scrap about it now. Argue which Legion is the toughest?
The answer always is, the Wolves of Fenris" Torgadon put in "because there clinically insane."
-1st captain of the imperial fists and Captain of the 2nd Company of the luna wolves.
"Horus Rising"
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Ferrus Manus

Ferrus Manus

+LEXICANUM+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,723 posts
Brother-Codicier Gudmund of the Arctic Lions

Posted Image

Gudmund is cold and calculating, much like the rest of his Chapter. Like his brethren, he is an albino. Within the Chapter he is known for his wise advice and is often looked to for counsel, by Captain and Battle-Brother alike. He is one of the older Lions alive at around 430 years old. His captain, Mathyon of the Third, is wont to leave Ursrik or enter the field of battle without him; utilising his psychic might and strong arm in the fight for the Imperium.

In rule terms, he counts as a C:SM Librarian with a Plasma Pistol. Psychic Powers: Smite and the Quickening. Total: 115pts

((Will add more fluff if I get chance))

Edited by Ferrus Manus, 21 April 2010 - 08:05 PM.

My WIP Space Marine Chapter

Ferrata

Ferrata

++ PUNIO TRUCIDO ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 9,909 posts

I'll start preparing one for Ferrata now then shall I? I mean half his team is already dead, it won't be long before the other half joins him in the grave ;)

If you are waiting for me to die, you might want to grab a faw of those books you have on your shelves that I paid for - you are going to be in for a long wait :( Thats right Librarium-boy, read! :P

Brother-Chaplain Gaius

Brother-Chaplain Gaius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,391 posts
I ask you this, is anyone taking up the banner for the most glorious and righteous Ultramarines?!
Courage and Honour

Barret

Barret

++PRAEDO EIULATUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 1,897 posts
Ahem.

So if you don't see your friendly neighborhood staff member posting a character in here, let him know what a cowardly git he's being and remind him that he's fighting for your honour. Some of them might try to pull some excuse out such as (in a lame voice) "but I'm too busy with work/school/family to get a mini painted up" or "I really have to focus on getting my army painted up for a Rogue Trader tournament" or something equally pathetic, but you know that's just a cop-out for being afraid to fight and lose in front of everyone. Keep them honest.