Kythnos' Iron Warriors

Kythnos

So I signed up for the CoC MKIV a few days ago and as the rules rightfully demand I'm opening my WIP-thread here. My plan until the end of the Call ist to finish the following models for my Iron Warriors army, which are waiting for paint on my desk (maybe some more if I finish these really quick):

1. 1 Defiler with a Reaper Autocannon and a Havoc Launcher
2. 5 Chosen with 4 pairs of Lightning Claws and a Plasmagun
3. 5 Chosen with 2 Plasmaguns, 1 Powerfist, 1 Lightning Claw and Combiflamer and 1 Powerfist and Plasmapistol

Of course, these aren't really optimised unit configurations, but they are the miniatures that stood on my desk and I organised them into legal entries for the Call. I hope that's ok as far as the rules go :smile: Below you can see the pictures of the actual models. I'm going to start with the Chosen (some still have some old colours visible, so there is some need for another session of base-coating) and am planning to paint the Defiler whenever I might want to do something different than Poweramour :wink:

gallery_43993_7905_74295.jpg

gallery_43993_7905_55148.jpg

gallery_43993_7905_17308.jpg

Edited by Kythnos

• 2 weeks later...

Good greenstuffing on the defiler.

Thanks for the kind words, but I didn't do that greenstuffing myself as I'm really crappy with that :biggrin:

Nevertheless, I already started painting the first group of Chosen (because I need the Powerfist-wielding guy for a tournament on Saturday) and have the first basic layers of colours applied to them. With some paint on it, the Combi-Flamer from the vehicle-sprue also doesn't look that huge anymore. I had been a little bit worried about that.

gallery_43993_7905_48844.jpg Edited by Kythnos

• 2 weeks later...

The first unit of Chosen is finally done!

The complete unit:
gallery_43993_7905_20538.jpg

The Plasmagun-carriers Phyadot and Amnides:
gallery_43993_7905_30336.jpg

Lupias and his Powerfist:
gallery_43993_7905_7870.jpg

Apothecary and harvester of enemy geneseed Charon:
gallery_43993_7905_27236.jpg

Combiflamer Kareus:
gallery_43993_7905_21213.jpg

Up next is the second unit of Chosen, but I don't intend to hurry them that much, as I'm good within my timeframe. I should try to get a game going with these new guys in the meantime... :biggrin:

Edited by Kythnos

• 1 month later...

June Update 1

As watching World Cup games and painting goes pretty well with each other imho, I've made some progress with the second squad of Chosen these days. Most of the base colours are already applied and I'm soon going to start with the details. Maybe tomorrow afternoon/evening while watching the US or England play their games :D

http://npshare.de/files/de2567e8/SDC10906.JPG

I've also ordered additional legs and close combat arms for my defiler, so I can convert it into a more useful configuration. Seriously - who pays extra points to add a havoc launcher to this model? ;)

June Update 2

I finished two of my Chosen today while watching England play. Only the bases need to be done now, but that'll have to wait until the whole unit is painted and I can base all of them at the same time. I'm pretty pleased how they turned out, considering my low painting skills. Also the Defiler pieces have arrived - maybe I'll do some conversion work this weekend :smile:

gallery_43993_7905_92840.jpg

gallery_43993_7905_30915.jpg

gallery_43993_7905_55033.jpg

What do you think about the lightning claws? I chose different layers of blue getting lighter to the tips of the blades. Does it work for you?

Edited by Kythnos

June Update 3

Finally, the second unit of Chosen is finished! \o/

gallery_43993_7905_36531.jpg

The final part will be the Defiler, which I've already started to work on. I've taken the Machine Cannon and the Havoc Launcher off to make room for additional close combat weapons. But I'm still undecided on which arms to use - the usual close combat arms or maybe the Defiler legs? What do you all think or do you have some examples for both pieces?

gallery_43993_7905_62493.jpg

gallery_43993_7905_87774.jpg

Edited by Kythnos

You've got to love that lighning clawed zombie walking fellow to the right! Great work!

Hehe, now that you mention it - didn't notice the pose to be that zombie-ish myself until now. I must have been blind! Thanks! :biggrin:

July Update 1

I've finally finished my conversion with the Defiler and added some additional close combat arms. It wasn't as difficult as expected, because GS and a tiny net of wire (also used in architectureenterprises to build models - at least I got it there) worked really good in combination with each other to stabilize the pose. I'm quite happy with it! Also repositioned the left combat arm to stabilize the model and keep it from falling over. Next step is priming and painting :smile:

gallery_43993_7905_41443.jpg

gallery_43993_7905_39445.jpg

gallery_43993_7905_72242.jpg

Edited by Kythnos

• 3 weeks later...

July Update 2

With my exams finished for this semester, I finally have enough time to paint the Defiler and finish it in time. The first colours are already put on and it's going along well. I should be able to finish it within the remaining 1 1/2 weeks without too much problems :smile:

gallery_43993_7905_112141.jpg

Edited by Kythnos

Thanks mate :)

I didn't have a chance to use them on the battlefield yet, but as I'm trough with my semester and exams now, thee might be a chance coming soon. I'd definitely like to give them a try in one of my next games. I'm just unsure about Outflanking and bringing destruction to my opponents weakpoints or if I should let them advance wit ma main battle-line.

I really like the colors you chose for the lightning claw blades, but i think you should have cut the wolf skulls on the back of the claw gloves.

looks too "wolfy" to me and could be replaced with chaos bitz without too much trouble

Thanks guys! :)

but i think you should have cut the wolf skulls on the back of the claw gloves.

looks too "wolfy" to me and could be replaced with chaos bitz without too much trouble

I had considered doing this during te assembly stage, but skipped it, because the skulls are there instead of the usual lightning claw wires and stuff on the back of the claw glove. Cutting them off, would have resulted in me finding a perfectly suiting replacement, runining the glove with my not really good green stuff skills or having a glove, where most of the regular back is missing. Therefor I chose to keep te skull - consider it trophies from slain Space Wolves ;)

Are you outflanking them?

I'm actually not sure yet. The Plasma Chosen maybe - the Lightning Claws not as likely.

IMHO hazard stripes on the pipes are a little much but otherwise looking good!

Which ones do you mean?

July Update 3

Finally it's done! I've finished the Defiler and completed the Call of Chaos by doing so :smile: I hope you like him:

gallery_43993_7905_27141.jpg

gallery_43993_7905_41269.jpg

gallery_43993_7905_91808.jpg

I really like how this beast turned out in the end - even more considering that I was pretty unsure about the mutation parts and the posing of the arms at some points during the making. With these experiences I'll go finishing my last Defiler that's already waiting on the desk, so that I'll finally have three of these great killers in my army. If there wouldn't only be one week left, I'd even enter it into the competition, but that would be Spart... erm I mean madness :biggrin:

Thanks to everyone who commented and supported me here and of course to Brother Nihm for organising this competition for all of us! :smile:

Edited by Kythnos

• 2 weeks later...
You've got to love that lighning clawed zombie walking fellow to the right! Great work!

when I look at him I imagine him saying " Check out da bling on my lightning claws!"

models look great and aren't too shiny !

Plans for any tanks? Or a cool techno demon prince warsmith?