Kythnos' Iron Warriors

Kythnos

After the ETL is before the CoC!

My next projects will evolve around adding further units and warmachines to my Renegades. For this I am currently building a Dark Heretek and a Bombard. Have a look and leave a comment. I'm especially curious, whether you guys think that the Bombard's cannon is over the top or not :smile.:

http://forum.warhammerportal.de/data/attach/38/553938/DSC01332.rsz.jpg

http://forum.warhammerportal.de/data/attach/38/553938/DSC01331.JPG

Both units are still WIP, of course. Especially the Bombard still needs quite a bit of Green Stuff :)

Iron Within! Iron Without!

Edited by Kythnos

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Progress! The last few days saw me finish the Dark Heretek and continue with the work on the Bombard. The GS work on the latter one went smoothly so that I was able to undercoat the model already. I aim to have it completed by the end of the month, including crew members. Let's see how this works out while I also have to write application letters to find a new job to start in November... :D

gallery_43993_7905_34232.jpg

gallery_43993_7905_32836.jpg

Edited by Kythnos

• 1 month later...

=][= Call of Chaos - Update I =][=

It's this time of the year again when the Call of Chaos comes around and the forces of Chaos mobilize to crush all opposition below their armoured boots and the treads of their tanks. The Stonebreakers would of course participate in this massive show of force and I decided that this year's CoC would be a good time to rework a few older older miniatures of mine, while at the same time adding some new models to my army. Thus I designed my vow as follows:

I, Kythnos, answer the Call of Chaos and vow to complete 1 Demon Prince, 1 Chaos Lord, 10 Noise Marines (incl. 1 Champ, 2 Blastmasters and additional Sonic Blasters), 3 Kyborgs, 1 Renegade Bombard and 1 Renegade Basilisk before December 15th 2015. If I do this successfully I will receive the Mark of Spilled Blood and continue on the path to ruin. If I fail I’ll wear the Mark of the Lost and I expect no mercy on my soul!

It's a big vow for the standards of my painting speed during the last forum events, but I intend to push it through with all the time and effort I can muster. Wish me success (luck is for the followers of the corpse-god :devil: )!

As to the current situation of my vow, here come the pictures:

gallery_43993_7905_109075.jpg

This is my Demon Prince Kythnos the Iron Dread, who has been leading my warband for years. These years have begun to show as you can clearly see, so he's in for an overhaul. I intend to strip the model completely and add a few new bits as well, before I start repainting him. If some of you has an unused set of Lasher Tendrils from the Maulerfiend or an unused twohanded rock hammer from the Dragon Ogre box, I'd be delighted to buy them from you or exchange them for some bits from my collection :smile.:

gallery_43993_7905_79945.jpg

The Chaos Lord is going to be the event-only FW Iron Warrior whose name escapes me at the moment. No extra work needs to be done here except the painting progress itself.

gallery_43993_7905_40793.jpg

The Noise marines were bought on ebay and will have to be repainted into the colours of my warband. You can see how that is supposed to look on the previous page in this thread. One of the guys still needs to receive his Blastmaster, but that shouldn't be any problem :wink:

gallery_43993_7905_88517.jpg

The Kyborgs are of a similar age to the Demon Prince and are also showing their age as well as missing quite a few of their weapons. They'll need some modelling and fixing first, before I can repaint them.

gallery_43993_7905_107384.jpg

The Renegade Basilisk was bought from another hobbyist and as you can see will need some repair work before I can start to repaint him.

gallery_43993_7905_32836.jpg

And lastly there's the counts-as Renegade Bombard, who was modified from another Basilisk model to look like the gun has even more oomph. I picture it as Balefire engulfing the projectiles as they leave the gun barrel, to incinerate everyone who isn't blastd to pieces from the explosion of the impact.

Anyway, that's it for a start. I hope to be able to show some progress very soon. Iron Within! Iron Without!

Where did you get that awesome dragon head?

The head comes from the Greater Fire Dragon model from Forge World. I ordered it for my High Elves once and the head had a few casting defects, for which I promptly received a replacement. I used the original head with the casting defects for this conversion, after storing it for some years. After all, renegade troops would surely not have enough time and ressources at their disposal to repair every missing tooth and horn on the skull :wink:

=][= Update =][=

Well, the first part of my vow is done - I'm on schedule!

I decided to tackle the Bombard first, as most of the other nominations still needed some preparation work. To put it shortly: despite having been coated in really thick layers of paint by the previous owner of the base model (Imperial Basilisk), the Bombard was a lot of fun to paint and came together really quick. I hope the Noise Marines will be as much fun, as I've started to work on the unit as the second part of my vow. I even found some more Noise Marines, which I decided to paint together with the nominated ten models.

gallery_43993_7905_5229.jpg

gallery_43993_7905_5041.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

=][= Call of Chaos - Update II =][=

The Stone Breakers have made good progress so far and completed two additional units: one Renegade Basilisk left the forges and a unit of Noise Marines joined the warband to shed blood in the army's war in the Theseus-System. Next up will be Nârik Dreygur!

http://forum.warhammerportal.de/data/attach/85/555685/DSC03652.JPG

http://forum.warhammerportal.de/data/attach/85/555685/DSC03653.JPG

Nice work. The big Dragon Skull definitely looks cool, I don wonder if it would look better and less basilisk with a shorter barrel, say up to the first set of teeth, though I guess that's personal preference. The daemon prince promises to be epic, keep up the good work. 

Nice work. The big Dragon Skull definitely looks cool, I don wonder if it would look better and less basilisk with a shorter barrel, say up to the first set of teeth, though I guess that's personal preference. The daemon prince promises to be epic, keep up the good work. 

Thanks mate, I know what you mean about the length of the gun barrel on the Bombard. I like the finished model, but I can see how it still looks quite similar to a Basilisk despite the modifications. Still, I'd say it looks different enough to warrant the usage of the Bombard's rules :smile.:

About the Daemon Prince... have a look at my next post :wink:

=][= Call of Chaos - Update IV =][=

Well, my painting spree continued through the last week and even though I'm not exactly sure how that was possible I have just completed all my vows for this year's Call of Chaos - over a month before the deadline! I guess I must have been possessed by some kind of wicked demon, but that's the nature of dealing with all things warp-touched. I'll worry about expelling it once I run out of miniatures to paint, which is to say once he has expired his usefulness.

But less ramblings and more pictures! I start with my unit of Obliterators, 3 were vowed, 1 was painted along the way to get them all into good shape again, after years of slow deterioration. Here's the result:

gallery_43993_7905_157807.jpg

More important, however, is the revised version of my warband's leader: the Demon Prince Kythnos Thargelion, more commonly whispered of as 'The Iron Dread'. I must have built the guy not too long after the 13th Black Crusade campaign and the age was showing on the model in numerous ways. He received a temporary retirement after I got back from a year abroad and he didn't survive the shipping. This year's Call of Cha gave me the motivation to repair the model again and upgrade it with some new bits - most importantly the lasher tendrils, which were sent to me from our forum's Biohazard. I hope you like the result, mate!

gallery_43993_7905_135629.jpg

gallery_43993_7905_43910.jpg

gallery_43993_7905_71579.jpg

The iron dread looks awesome buddy, really glad I could help. Great effort on completing your vow.

Thanks mate, glad you like him. He's also been completed just in time to take part in the final of a little campaign my local gaming group is running currently. He shall crush many Dark Angels this Sunday :devil:

Yesterday we finished the campaign of our local player group and I took the chance to take some pictures of my whole army while the terrain was still on the tables. It was more difficult to arrange in a nice fashion than expected, but I think the pictures look fine in the end.

These are all the models that I have painted for my Stonebreakers warband so far - enjoy!

gallery_43993_7905_349360.jpg

gallery_43993_7905_23447.jpg

gallery_43993_7905_34182.jpg

Now for some closer shots:

1. Demon Prince Kythnos Thargelion leads the Stonebreakers warband in their relentless pursuit of victory.

gallery_43993_7905_310763.jpg

2. First Warsmith Argos Tvarr and his Terminator Bodyguard.

gallery_43993_7905_210410.jpg

3. The warband's fast units mercilessly hunt down their enemies.

gallery_43993_7905_315680.jpg

4.Some of the many demonic warmachines that the warband's Warpsmiths construct for the ongoing conquests of the Stonebreakers.

gallery_43993_7905_230453.jpg

5. Noise Marines and a Helbrute give supporting fire.

gallery_43993_7905_14894.jpg

6. Renegade units are employed by the Stonebreakers to serve as cannon fodder.

gallery_43993_7905_273541.jpg

Whole army looking really cool Kythnos.  Have you got plan's on what models & units you want to add on in the near future?  Also nice to see a few classic models like the metal Chaos Dreadnought & Vindicator, with a few special weapon Chaos Marines from 2nd ed.

Whole army looking really cool Kythnos.  Have you got plan's on what models & units you want to add on in the near future?  Also nice to see a few classic models like the metal Chaos Dreadnought & Vindicator, with a few special weapon Chaos Marines from 2nd ed.

Thanks mate!

I have to finish the few units that are still unpainted (1 Chimera, 1 Basilisk, 1 Sorcerer and one unit of Fallen Dark Angels) first. But after that I'd have finished my whole backlog and could choose any unit to expand the army. I'm currently thinking about either a] a Knight, b] some nice toys from IA13 or c] the Horus Heresy-set for a lot more marines for the army.

What would you add?

Thanks mate!

I have to finish the few units that are still unpainted (1 Chimera, 1 Basilisk, 1 Sorcerer and one unit of Fallen Dark Angels) first. But after that I'd have finished my whole backlog and could choose any unit to expand the army. I'm currently thinking about either a] a Knight, b] some nice toys from IA13 or c] the Horus Heresy-set for a lot more marines for the army.

What would you add?

I would add all those chose to be honesty.  It sound like models you'll enjoy painting them.  But plan which order you want to add.  I really like the Knight model, it really great fun to build & paint, I also suggest watching the Games Workshop video on this for reference over on youtube.  There a lot you can do with this model & as Chaos hobbiest, it great centre piece model.

Armour 13: Lost & the Damn has a lot of great units & there a lot I want to add to my own army.  It also open up the Renegade list to you as well & use/add unit from that as well.  Along with a lot great units & models to use for Chaos Marine side of things as well :D

Then the Horus Heresy box game, your getting a lot great basic troops & amount of money your saving & can mix up with left over chaos parts.

But again all down to the model you think you'll enjoy building, painting & gaming with.

But again all down to the model you think you'll enjoy building, painting & gaming with.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when choosing the next additions for the army! :smile.:

Btw.: here are the remaining units that I have on my desk. Once I finish these, I'll have no unpainted CSM model left for the time being. I think I never got into that situation for close to 10 years now :biggrin.:

gallery_43993_7905_228144.jpg

Edited by Kythnos

Wow, that is a very inspiring collection! My hat is off to you, sir! Iron within, Iron without. :wink:

Thank you! Let me add that your World Eaters have been an inspiration on several occasions as well. And let's not forget about that image of my First Warsmith Argos Tvarr! :)