Kythnos' Iron Warriors

Kythnos

Venomcrawler looks good. Did you add that rubble or did it come with the kit? Also I like how you did the yellowy orange for your contemptor, I adapted that while I am working on mine! :teehee:

Thanks mate. The rubble comes with the kit and is attached to the claws.

Work on two Greater Possessed for the ETL progresses as planned. One more painting session and they will be finished.

gallery_43993_7905_430112.jpeg

While I was waiting for some shades to dry I used the time to update some old Raptor models with bits from the modern CSM models as well. I think they turned out quite nice :)

gallery_43993_7905_1174819.jpeg

• 5 months later...

It's been a while... again. However, that doesn't mean that the Forge of Tormented Souls was idle and stopped providing the Stonebreakers with new warriors and war machines! So be prepared for some pictures (please excuse the picture quality of my phone camera on badly lit kitchen tables) ;-)

First of all the Raptors that I have already shown above in their unpainted state. They now bear the colours of the warband and started to mingle with the five Raptors that were painted over 10 years ago (who can spot the 5 new ones? ;-) ). Since they are in a jumping pose and their backbacks are quite large, they fit well enough next to the new Chaos Space Marines when they're on 32mm bases. This means that they will be kept, while most of my old CSM have alreay been sold off as I cannot stand the size difference and have started to take this opportunity as a big update to my warband.

gallery_43993_7905_678167.jpg

Next up are my first 10 new Chaos Space Marines. Nothing fancy about them, just lovely models.

gallery_43993_7905_150412.jpg

Next up is a Leviathan (everybody needs on these days, right?). He is carrying pieces of rubble from the fortifications that he has destroyed - some do even say that these pieces of stone were taken from the broken walls of the Imperial Palace of Terra. But who can really say?

gallery_43993_7905_37656.jpg

The Contemptor Dreadnought that I finished last year received a new close combat weapon this year. I finally used my Green Stuff cable maker again for this after some years of neglect. Such a nice tool to have.

gallery_43993_7905_134004.jpg

And of course, what would an Iron Warriors warband that likes Daemon Engines do without a Lord Discordant?

gallery_43993_7905_17127.jpg

This group photo also shows my new Master of Possession. For some reason, I wasn't able to find a solo picture of him on my phone...

gallery_43993_7905_160413.jpg

And last but not least a group shot of the Stonebreaker's dreadnoughts. I wouldn't call myself a dreadhead like some members here, but I still aquired a solid wall of bipedal death machines over the years as it appears. A Decimator is inbound to vomplete the little family for the time being and he only thing that will be missing then is one of those FW Iron Warriors Dreadnoughts that they stopped to produce. Still need to source one of those...

gallery_43993_7905_509651.jpg

Next up on my painting table are 20 Chaos Space Marines, 1 Venomcrawler, 2 more Obliterators, some 30 GSC models to serve as additional meat shie... I mean Cultists and the aforementioned Decimator once he arrives. So there is potential for further updates, if I don't forget about posting them here ;-)

Edited by Kythnos

Looking great! Do you recall how you painted the skin on your last Obliterators?

Thank you, yes I do:

Basecoat of Leadbelcher

One rather thick layer of Nuln Oil

One layer of Carroburg Crimson

One thinner layer of Nuln Oil

That's it. To me the result gives off a feeling of a combination of daemonic flesh and metal and is easy to achieve. With two kids time is a rare ressource after all. One variation would be the use of Nuln Oil Gloss for the final layer to achieve a more 'wet' look.

First time going through your thread excellent painting and conversions!

Thank you!

I like that Levi, my will to wait for an IW one seems to erode every time I see someone using the normal one....

Well, you can always have two... ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

With lockdowns due to the Corona virus, there is more time to work on the hobby! So I took the time to finish one conversion that I had in mind to bring one of my older character models into 2020. This was poor Vilos, Battlesmith and Blood Hound of the Stonebreakers, in his previous existence. Old, blocky and far, far too small, always needing to look up to the new recruits.

gallery_43993_7905_7400.jpg

Time for a makeover!

The Chaos Lord from Blackstone Fortress proved to be a good basis to remake Vilos from scratch. Topknot? Useable, but had to go. I prefer helmets on my characters. Plasma pistol? Nah, I wanted to use a Kombimelta as a connection to the original model. Thunderhammer? Thunderhammer! Black Legion shoulder pad? Definitely had to be replaced...

Now, I present you the new Battlesmith Vilos!

IMG_20200317_122239.rsz.jpg

He still needs paint and a few spots need a bit of Green Stuff, but I like what has become of the old guy! :)

Great kitbashing on that Warsmith! Obsidius Mallex is a great match for an Iron Warrior with his advancing stance, and I really like the look of that helmet! Maybe some kind of targeting array/servo-skull would be a fitting addition to his backpack?

• 1 month later...

Some progress! I've been using some spare evenings to finish these mutants I had in my to-paint box for ages. Since I am also close to finishing a small non-40k project with my next painting session, I guess some Iron Warriors will be next after that.

IMG_20200412_230238.rsz.jpg

Edited by Kythnos

• 5 months later...

It's been a while again, but I have been working on a few things. My current projects include some new cultists/heretics and some defences:

IMG_20200920_174930.rsz.jpg

And I am also in the process of updating my warband's main sorceror. Since our group is starting a new campaign next month where I have a good idea for a new narrative arc for this guy, I wanted to update him to current height standards:

IMG_20201004_150322.rsz.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Battlesmith Vilos and Company are looking great! I especially love how you re-used that classic helmet for the Sorcerer, he looks fantastic.

Thank you, I appreciate that. Since I am currently reinventing several of my old character models to the new astartes size, I am having a lot of fun combining old signature parts with the new models. Vilos is actually a similar case, though I did depart a bit further from the original model that I used for him in my early tabletop years.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a productive painting session today and managed to finish the updated version of my Chaos Sorcerer (picture of the two models side by side can be seen some posts earlier). I quite like how he endd up looking and how the visual resemblance worked out.

IMG_20201115_225610.rsz.jpg

I just want to pop in and say, I appreciate you sticking that iconic sorcerer head on the new plastic model. It brought a huge smile to my face for some nostalgic reason.

Thank you, I can definitely relate to that. It was definitely worth massacring (?) the old metal sorcerer for this result.

• 8 months later...

With me not getting any models done since the end of last year, I decided to outsource painting for the first time in my life. Since I have banned myself from buying new models until the grey pile is gone, I had hobby budget to redirect to get things finished instead of adding to the collection.

With the rather simple paint recipe that I use, this went really well and the models fit into the army seamlessly.

received_1266805783773197.jpeg

received_546019506442939.jpeg

With the next available slot at that painting studio being in March, however, I guess I need to paint more myself to get things done