Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising

Hubernator

Yes you have been warned. So let's down to it.

I completed the campaign, normal difficulty, and everyone being the purist. Yay, awesome. I beat up dear ol Ulkair's face and won, and the game didn't crash on me :P Now, I watched through the cutscene at the end and well, it's odd to say the least.

First off being, whether

beating up Kyrus is going to be in another expansion or not

. I hope so since it'll give some extra stuff to do and not make the campaign feel short.

Second, is that

Eliphas on the operating table?

I'm assuming it is but I'm not sure.

Third & fourhtly;

Is that really Abbadon at the end? And what the hell is he doing there? Or more importantly; why focus on the Blood Ravens and not the damn crusade he's meant to be operating?

Thoughts welcome on this.

Some thoughts in response after finishing Chaos Rising (before being shipped off temporarily by the company to California):

1. Cleansing the Blood Ravens of Kyrias' influence is no longer a question of if, but when. THQ will deal with him sooner or later, likely sooner.

2. I assume that it IS Eliphas in that chamber, and it's just his way of escaping any permanent death (remember, you actually had to kill him to open up the gate to Ulkair's arena).

3. Yes, it is Abaddon apparently. Also, I'm under the impression that, while the collapse of a loyalist Chapter like the Blood Ravens would be a nice bonus on his multi-sector rampage, it's not exactly a major goal of his.

Just to put it out there, is there any date mentioned in the game? Perhaps this takes place before the 13th Black Crusade?

I was wondering about why Abbadon cares about a piddly chapter like the Ravens meself.

Also, Angelos mentioned the FC being named 4th Co. Captain. To me this doesn't make sense. If I was the Chapter Master, I would put someone I can trust/control in that spot. Especially with what events of the game would get back to him. (Most of the Honor Guard getting killed, the demon killed, etc.)

I think it was funny how, prior to that event, he was oh so helpful about ratting out the traitor too! His dialogue would have made more sense of you allowed some of your other squads to be Corrupted, but him? "I found the traitor! And it happens to be... me!"

Forgotten Knight: I was under the impression that the promotion was pretty much ad hoc, and Gabriel Angelos was doing it so that the Fourth Company (formerly led by Thule) wouldn't be leaderless when the time came to confront

Kyrias and those he corrupted, or just duped

. While he wasn't Chapter Master, he WAS the highest-ranking Blood Raven in the sector, outside of Apollo Diomedes.

That's why I rigged it on my second play-through so the traitor was Avitus. Never could stand him anyway. In fact, it made me like him more- the way he rebelled out of sheer nihilism, hating both sides equally at the end, added poignancy to an otherwise cardboard-thin character.

Edit: As for the promotion, notice that you only get it of you let Diomedes live. I imagine that he's the one who recommends you for the job, which he obviously can't do if he's dead.

Mostly. Apparently the squad with the highest Corruption score before that particular mission becomes the traitor. If all of your squads remain pure though, the traitor is always Martellus.

If you haven't been paying attention to the Purity/Corruption counter, the betrayal of a squad can REALLY surprise you.

To be honest, heresy of Avitus (just did yesterday) was predictable somewhat, although his reasoning wasn't :D

Anyone got any of the other squad leaders to be the Traitors? I've been trying to imagine the reason Tarkus, Thaddeus or Cyrus would go bad, but I can't think of any.

Well, I can see Tarkus. "They killed me off in the novelisation?!"

Anyone got any of the other squad leaders to be the Traitors? I've been trying to imagine the reason Tarkus, Thaddeus or Cyrus would go bad, but I can't think of any.

Well, I can see Tarkus. "They killed me off in the novelisation?!"

Well Avitus is easy; hes a hothead who has alot of anger.

Thaddeus is the brash young-gun, so he could think "why is everyone considering me a minor? a kid? ACCEPT ME DAMMIT"

Cyrus is tricky, could be some form of jealousy or ill judgement.

Jonah, well hes a librarian so it'd make sense anyway :D

Tarkus is the hardest one, considering hes the one with the cool head.

Thaddeus:

During the last battle with Tyranids, Daemon is whispering to him 'Your fleet is trapped in the Warpstorm, I can make it stop. The fleet will come and save you. I will save you. Just embrace me.'

Something like that.

When you're wandering through the Hulk Cyrus mumbles about why your Commander is the leader. That might have something to do with it.

Yeah I got that too. Tarkus' was more like "it'll be mine! all mine! then we can win". Very odd

Archived