Codex: Order of the Faithful Blade

• 3 weeks later...

Since I was writing up a normal-codex list from memory, and due to my mind playing tricks on me wound up pricing one or two things out of the Order Codex, I got inspired to make an Order Army list just for fun

Have to say, looking at the Codex from a list-making perspective was an interesting experience:

2500 point Order List

:HQ:

Cannoness w/Blessed Weapon, Cloak of St. Aspira, Mantle of Ophelia: 135 pts

Inquisitor w/Power Armor, Psyker Upgrade (Inspired Aim and Holy Might Powers), Psychic Hood, Psycannon, Nemesis Daemonhammer, Storm Shield: 135 pts

;)

5 Celestian Blades w/1 Eviscerator (Canoness joins this unit)

Immolator w/TL Heavy Flamer

Cost: 155 pts

9 Celestian Gunners w/2 Psycannons (Inquisitor Joins this Unit)

Rhino

Cost: 255 pts

:woot:

Battlesister Squad x2

Sister Superior w/Eviscerator + 9 Battlesisters w/Heavy Flamer, Flamer

Rhino

Cost: 185 x2 = 370

Battlesister Squad x2

Sister Superior w/Eviscerator + 9 Battlesisters w/2 Meltaguns

Rhino

Cost: 190 x2 = 380 pts

:FA:

Sparrow Squad

Mika + 9 Sparrows w/4 Plasma Pistols

Cost 300 pts

Lancer Squad

10 Lancers w/2 Eviscerators

Cost: 260 pts

:HS:

2x Exorcists: 260 points

2x Tiamat: 140 points

Fafnir w/Inferno cannon: 110 points

Total: 2500

It's good to have all the rules on one page now, but it can be tricky to read at times (what with the wall o' text and the scrolling), perhaps shift the fluff into a separate post from the rules? (Big undertaking though that may be.) Also, it would help a bit to have the upgrades Morrigan unlocks listed in the affected units upgrade lists, with (Morrigan) after the upgrades (There's some precedent in this for that Without Number-type upgrade for Conscript squads in the guard 'dex.)

Tinkered with making a list (focusing on Morrigan), came upon a few points. Morrigan's special rules state that Celestian Retinues can upgrade to have Daemonblades, while Martyrs only upgrade to have Lesser Daemonblades. Is this difference intentional?

Also, the "reference the Grey Knights codex" seems to indicate that the Inquisitor's retinue can call upon Grey Knights style Rhinos/Razorback/Chimeras. Although the Chimera is reasonable, the Razorback is sorta awkward, and the Rhino's a bit redundant. Perhaps clarify them to more Orderly options?

Also, do Augmetic Enhancements/Combat Drugs effect special character inquisitors/retinue members?

Looking at the pricings when trying to make a list, it might be a good idea to drop the secondary retinue special characters down to 1 wound each, and a matching drop in price (perhaps with Gabriel Kolbe being an exception.) It would make using them in a list much more manageable.

It's good to have all the rules on one page now, but it can be tricky to read at times (what with the wall o' text and the scrolling), perhaps shift the fluff into a separate post from the rules? (Big undertaking though that may be.) Also, it would help a bit to have the upgrades Morrigan unlocks listed in the affected units upgrade lists, with (Morrigan) after the upgrades (There's some precedent in this for that Without Number-type upgrade for Conscript squads in the guard 'dex.)

A good idea; the Profane Wargear options fit a bit better there.

As for the text-crowding, moving the fluff might be a solution, but an imperfect one; it's really down a limitation of the forum format; if I knew enough about how to make PDFs, then the fluff wouldn't in the way of the rules nearly so much.

Tinkered with making a list (focusing on Morrigan), came upon a few points. Morrigan's special rules state that Celestian Retinues can upgrade to have Daemonblades, while Martyrs only upgrade to have Lesser Daemonblades. Is this difference intentional?

Oops; I goofed. Fixed now

Also, the "reference the Grey Knights codex" seems to indicate that the Inquisitor's retinue can call upon Grey Knights style Rhinos/Razorback/Chimeras. Although the Chimera is reasonable, the Razorback is sorta awkward, and the Rhino's a bit redundant. Perhaps clarify them to more Orderly options?

Good idea to clarify that.

Also, do Augmetic Enhancements/Combat Drugs effect special character inquisitors/retinue members?

Augmentic Enhancements don't buff SCs, but combat drugs do. I should have noticed that issue sooner.

Looking at the pricings when trying to make a list, it might be a good idea to drop the secondary retinue special characters down to 1 wound each, and a matching drop in price (perhaps with Gabriel Kolbe being an exception.) It would make using them in a list much more manageable.

Done. I can certainly see your point there; I was a bit surprised myself by how things could get expensive.

Yeah, moving the fluff to another post wouldn't be a perfect solution, but it would help. Also, I have several .pdfs I made of some of the Inq project units, I could easily convert those to OotFB units, if yer interested.

Also, a couple of more points:

Thinking +5 points for the Lesser Daemonblade on Martyrs might be a bit overpriced as an upgrade to the Flaming Blade, seeing as how the Lesser Daemonblade's rolls of 5 & 6 are simply half of the Flaming Blade's effect, and at +5 points they're competing with the Eviscerator. That they're a one-handed weapon is irrelevant as the Martyrs have no pistol. It might be better for them to be a free upgrade, and while it would be a teensy downgrade, the value would be in making the squad into Troops.

Maybe give Arbites the option of purchasing the Blind Grenade from the Grey Knights 'dex? A Defensive smoke grenade seems to be right up their ally.

---

Hrm, looking at the Heavy Support options, not sure how well Rapiers would work due to their limited mobility combined with their fragility. Lascannons would work, but the rest could safely be ignored until they need to be dealt with. Assuming they're a similar size to the Imp Guard Cyclops, they could fit in a transport, taking up 5 spaces. Might be worth making them an optional add-on to Retributors, so the Rapier can take advantage of the closer ranged options (especially the Multi-melta.)

Getting a PDF Conversion would neat, if it's not too much trouble I would appreciate it.

For the Daemonblade, looking them over I agree that bumping them down to free is probably a good idea. After all, on top of the issue you already mentioned, using them negates a couple of the nicer offensive AoFs.

I might just give the Arbites Blind Grenades as a freebie instead of it being an option; as it stands, right now they still suffer a bit from the IST's old problem of being not quite as awesome as Sororitas.

The Rapier is a bit on the weak side; when I play around with lists, it seems to lose out to the Exorcist, Dragon, and Vulture. They do have their uses though; relentless is nice, negating turbo-boosts is also handy, and they provide some cheap extra firepower. The fundamentals seem good, it just needs a boost. Perhaps I should bump up the max unit size up to 4-5 guns+crew? Extra bodies would add to the durability, and adding another gun or tow would give it some more dakka. The multi-melta option is still a bit weak since there are better melta-delivery platforms in the codex, but a relatively cheap way to spam multi-lasers and lascannons is a pretty useful thing.

---------------

Also, on a totally unrelated note, it briefly occurred to me that background-wise it would make sense if Morrigan made Fallon troops instead of daemonblade Martyrs. However, shortly after said thought occurred, I tossed it out the window, since it would make for such a bizarre, oddball army that I have no idea how it would work in terms of game balance.

Yeah, I could do a bit of slow&steady pdf sheets, a page here, a page there. It's nothing fancy, but easy to read (introducing defined pages helps so very much), and gets the point across.

I suppose the multi-lasers/lascannons would be okay, being able to relentlessly advance into the midfield. Multi-meltas are still meh, but cheap. I suppose in the backfield they'll be able to perform the typical infantry-multi-melta role of area denial a bit more effectively than retributors. Still, not quite the best unit. Maybe drop the Relentless, but let them be delivered onto the field via grav-chute? That would emphasize an advantage of their light-weight, compact design over bulkier chassis.

Blinds would probably works as standard items on the Arbites, yeah. After all, it basically means they won't die quite as quickly to the first unit to assault them.

If Morrigan was to be given an effect like that, it would probably be a bit better to make the Fallon count as both Elites and Heavy Support. Still, Morrigan already makes huge alterations to the army, she's probably complex enough as-is.

Yeah, I could do a bit of slow&steady pdf sheets, a page here, a page there. It's nothing fancy, but easy to read (introducing defined pages helps so very much), and gets the point across.

That's great, thanks. I don't need anything fancy, just something a bit more reader-friendly than the B&C Forum; even with the charts, it's a bit clunky.

I suppose the multi-lasers/lascannons would be okay, being able to relentlessly advance into the midfield. Multi-meltas are still meh, but cheap. I suppose in the backfield they'll be able to perform the typical infantry-multi-melta role of area denial a bit more effectively than retributors. Still, not quite the best unit. Maybe drop the Relentless, but let them be delivered onto the field via grav-chute? That would emphasize an advantage of their light-weight, compact design over bulkier chassis.

I'm not sure how useful Deep Striking a pure-shooty non-relentless heavy weapon unit is that useful, since it wouldn't be able to shoot it's meltas on-arrival (which is the main appeal of Deep-striking melts, after all). Also, I think the Rapier needs to keep it's bit of mobility, since Retributors are better with hunkered-down multi-meltas thanks to their Entrenchment rule. A Rhino-mounted Retributor squad could get into midfield cover just about as easily, and holds their position better once they're dug in.

All that said, I imagine the multi-melta would be a rarer choice than the las weapons, simply because the Order has plenty of other options for adding melta to the list, while multi-lasers and Lascannons are much rarer.

If Morrigan was to be given an effect like that, it would probably be a bit better to make the Fallon count as both Elites and Heavy Support. Still, Morrigan already makes huge alterations to the army, she's probably complex enough as-is.

Yeah, Morrigan doesn't need another FOC-changing rule; I just found the idea of letting a one-model unit be a troops choice darkly amusing, since it would enable utterly ridiculous things like a 2000 point army that had eleven infantry models (6 Fallon, 3 Assassins, 2 HQs).

Well, it was asked that I make a test list, and that's something I generally enjoy anyway, so...

"The Uncoordinated Mass of Models on the Table" - 1,996 points

Palatine with Inferno Pistol, Blessed Weapon, Cloak of Saint Aspira and Grox Mount (150)

Celestian Bodyguards (215)

-5 Flaming Blades

-1 Purifier

-1 Incinerator

-Imagifer

-Hospitaler

(Used to tar-pit enemies while still dealing enough damage that they shouldn't be tar-pitted themselves against trash)

:Elite:

6 Celestian Gunners (325)

-1 Purifier 15

+Superior upgraded to Gaelle

Transport: Command Immolator (included in cost)

Celestian Martyrs (165)

-1 Eviscerator

Transport: Immolator with Laud Hailer (included in cost)

(One melee assault unit (with an Immolator to help get them to the front and maybe scorch some foes before exploding), one shooting squad that can pop tanks in a pinch, and can keep infantry pinned - with a nice command tank to keep them safe and scorch foes)

:P

Battle Squad (280)

-1 Flamer

-1 Heavy Flamer

-Krak Grenades

-VSS has a Hand Flamer

Transport: Repressor (included in cost)

(your basic "fry infantry and sit on that objective" squad)

Blade Squad (190)

-2 Inferno Pistols

-VSS has an Inferno Pistol

Transport: Rhino (included in cost)

(tank-busting squad that can also, in a pinch, do some assaulting)

Devoted Squad (180)

-2 Flamers

-VSS has a Hand Flamer

Transport: Repressor (included in cost)

(Very similar to the Battle Squad, except more likely to run screaming into HtH)

Mika + 4 Sparrows (160)

-All Sparrows have Bolt Pistols with special ammunition

-Mika swaps her Hand Flamers out for Bolt Pistols with special ammunition

(Good threat area for using special ammo to be a pain in the ass to enemies)

6 Retributors (151)

-2 Multi Meltas

-VSS has a Storm Bolter

Transport: Immolator with Heavy Bolters (included in cost)

(The Immo is likely to carry them to a good spot to guard and take cover in, before zooming off to keep shooting)

2 Typhons (240)

-Both with Twin Ass Cannons

-Both with Heavy Bolter Sponsons

(Acceptable for anti-tank (light vehicles, at least) work, they are also capable or shredding infantry squads - multi-purpose)

As you can see, there's no real focus to the army, it's rather all-over-the-place, but each unit does have a job it's supposed to do, with a bit of redundancy. For 2,500 points I would probably take Sioban (thus making those two Celestian choices Troops) and take either more Sparrows and a Lancer squad (with any spare points going to some Rapiers) or a massive 10-girl unit of Celestian Blades with a couple of Eviscerators.

I might, later on, look at a no-tanks list (also known as "Hahaha, you took Meltas/Lances expecting a balanced list? Wow, enjoy the huge pointsink")

Incidentally, I'm still cool with doing some art for this.

For the main stuff, just differences from the regular codex - the symbol, any changes to the armour/robes, whether Seraphim Jump Packs use the increasingly popular angel wings design, whether the Cyber Pegasus mounts are just jetbikes or actually robotic winged horses, the basic chassis design of the Dragon vehicles, whether all Exorcists use the FW or GW design or they're mixed, stuff like that.

And for any special characters you want pictures of, basic descriptions will be needed.

Question of the day for anyone with a good answer; any ideas on how to make Fallon a bit visually distinct from the ordinary Sisters of Battle? I feel like they definitely need to stand out from the crowd in some way, but nothing obvious springs to mind.

Apart from posing, the main think I was thinking of were filed down horns, Hellboy-style. Also, glowing eyes,

I think glowing eyes and filed-down horns is a bit too blatantly daemonic; they're not daemonhosts after all, and Fallon are supposed to still look entirely human. I was pondering something a tad more mundane, like making their armor/robes/etc. a bit different.

Also, I could see them wearing a lot of extra purity seals, as an effort to kind of counteract their tainting.

Part of my reasoning with the horns was a line in the Exorcist's fluff - it's mentioned that post-possession, some battle brothers need some amount of cosmetic surgery.

Thoughts on armour design - an old english heraldic traditions was to paint a large black diagonal bar over the heraldry of one who had dishonoured himself in some way. Perhaps have the Fallon do similar with their shield? (Although the shield would be purely decorative, what with their natural Inv. Save.)

On a more practical note, if you're making Lancers/Knights, chances are you'll be using the Cold One Knights and Pegasus Knights kits, what with them having riders who are a powerpack, an unhelmeted/Immolator head and several extra symbols away from looking pretty Sisterly. Perhaps some of the more distinct bits of armour from these kits, such as the helmets, could be used to mark out Fallon?

Part of my reasoning with the horns was a line in the Exorcist's fluff - it's mentioned that post-possession, some battle brothers need some amount of cosmetic surgery.

Ah; I assumed reversing any obvious mutations that occurred during the possession was just a part of the whole exorcism process and/or once the flesh gets seriously mutated, it's too late for an exorcism. I suppose that, for fluff purposes, we can state that any necessary corrections to make the Fallon look normal after their possession occur.

Thoughts on armour design - an old english heraldic traditions was to paint a large black diagonal bar over the heraldry of one who had dishonoured himself in some way. Perhaps have the Fallon do similar with their shield? (Although the shield would be purely decorative, what with their natural Inv. Save.)

Totally forgot about adding a bar; thanks for reminding me of that practice. Alternately/additionally, maybe her armor's color scheme could be halved/quartered with black? After all, certain sets of wargear would make it a bit hard to model a Fallon with a shield as well.

On a more practical note, if you're making Lancers/Knights, chances are you'll be using the Cold One Knights and Pegasus Knights kits, what with them having riders who are a powerpack, an unhelmeted/Immolator head and several extra symbols away from looking pretty Sisterly. Perhaps some of the more distinct bits of armour from these kits, such as the helmets, could be used to mark out Fallon?

Good advice; now we just need to wait for GW to get around putting out a multi-part plastic kit for sisters of battle so I can make some proper kitbashed minis for lancers and knights.

The "No Tanks" Army (2,500 points)

-Morrigan's unit will try to engage with enemies to deal casualties, perhaps even wiping scoring units out.

-Sioban's unit is more of a shooting unit, helping with anti-tank work

-The Fallon will start out front and basically find scoring units to assault, even if her survival isn't looking so good (in KP games, she's more use to kill small units and waste enemy time making them assault her to kill her)

-Fast Attack choices will largely flit around and try to disrupt infantry wherever it is needed - the Sparrows can make good use of their special ammo

-Masses of infantry will take ages to wipe out, and the Gunners can pin infantry, blow tanks and generally cause bad effects

Inquisitrix Morrigan with Celestians

-3 Flaming Blades, 2 Lesser Daemon Blades

-Rhona

-Hospitaler

-Imagifer

Canoness Sioban with Celestians

-3 Hell Rifles

-2 Purifiers

:D

1 Fallon

-Ghost in the Wind

-Terrifying Presence

:)

10 Celestian Blades

-2 Eviscerators

-VSS has a Neuro Whip and Melta Bombs

-all have Shields

10 Celestian Gunners

-Gaelle

-2 Purifiers and a Hell Rifle

20 Battle Sisters

-3 Meltas

-Inferno Pistol for the VSS

20 Blades

-5 Hand Flamers (1 for the VSS)

;)

5 Lancers

-Hospitaler

Mika and 5 Sparrows

-Hand Flamers for 1

-Special Ammo for 4

---

It probably bears mentioning that I did a few little tweaks to the point costs for Dragons, just to make them more consistent with similar units in other GW Codices. Nothing huge; added five points here, took away five points there; hurricane bolters are the only thing that got a really big price change.

Like your list Acacia; the fact that we can actually make a workable no-tank army pleases me. I didn't realize it before, but Sioban makes a very nice addition to any footslogging list; her Area of Effect Faith bonus makes the AP 3-2 Pieplates that have have always been the bane of footslogging lists much less problematic.

Also, as long as I'm here, I made a Twin list. I'll admit I had a bit too much fun with both the Allard's retinues, but it's fun and flavorful. The basic plan is to do an Immolator-rush with Morrigan and the Martyrs, as well as the Tiamats. Ideally, the meltas will crack open any vehicles, and let the Martyrs/Morrigan charge in and chop them up. The Rapiers give me a bit of badly-needed long-range firepower, and should be protected thanks to the fact that the rushing Immolators will be a much higher priority. Mika's squad will flit around shooting up whatever target seems best. Lastly, the Fallon will cause all kinds of back-field unpleasantness; the combination of Berserker and Presence will be very nasty for combat resolution, while Ghost and Nightblink make for a very good hit-and-run character.

Morrigan Allard: 175 pts

Celestian Bodyguard:

5 Sacreligious Shields

Imagifier

4 Lesser Daemonblades

1 Eviscerator

Cost: 200 points

Command Immolator w/Purifier: 110 points

:Elite:

Fallon: Daemonblade, Berserker, Presence: 185 pts

Fallon: Daemonblade, Nightblink, Ghost: 190 pts

;)

5x Celestian Martyrs

6 Martyrs w/4 Lesser Daemonblades, 2 Eviscerators

Immolator w/Multi-Melta

Cost: 190 x5 = 950 pts

Mika And Sparrow Squad

Mika w/Inferno, Plasma, and Bolt Pistols

9 Sparrows w/4 pairs of Plasma Pistols

Medi-Pack

Cost: 330 pts

4x Rapiers w/Lascannon: 180 pts

4x Rapiers w/Lascannon: 180 pts

Total: 2500

• 2 months later...

Got a bit of fresh inspiration from Sister Acacia's Order of the Sacrificial Lilac.

So, toying with a slightly radical idea here. When it comes to ranged weapons, currently the Order of the Faithful Blade tends to stick fairly close to the traditional "Holy Trinity" or bolter, flamer, and melta. That doesn't quite mesh with their general background of ignoring tradition when it suits them; it seems a lot more likely to me that the Order would diversify it's arsenal a touch, especially since the standard "Trinity" is pretty restrictive, tactically speaking. So, I'm toying with adding one or two options to give the Sisters a bit more ranged firepower

Stalker-Pattern Boltguns as special weapons: These things have been showing up absolutely everywhere in the fluff lately, so giving some to the OotFB seems plausible.

Plasma: Fairly common Imperial tech, so it wouldn't be that odd for a tradition-breaking Order to field a bit more of this than usual, especially when the Traitor Legions are one of their more common opponents.

I'm also pondering following the precedent of the Codex-which-must-not-be-mentioned, and giving the standard Battle squad access to some heavy weapons.

Not exactly a huge change, altogether, but it adds a couple new options to the field.

Adding Plasma would be sound and simple, the weapon class isn't exactly overpowered, after all.

Stalkers might also work out, but does give me a thought on Special Issue Ammo. (Also, I'd advocate dropping the Storm Bolter weapon option from the Battle Squad/other non-Veteran units getting these two new weapons, to keep the options from getting a bit out of control.)

Perhaps instead of having a set profile for the ammo's use with Storm Bolters and something similar for the Sparrows' Pistols, perhaps reduce each ammo type to a Weapon Type Special Rule which can then be granted to any Bolt weapon? This would allow it to work with Stalkers, which might be fun.

Veteran Ammunition: A model firing a Bolt Pistol, Boltgun, Stalker-Pattern Boltgun or Storm Bolter may select one of the following Special Rules immediately before it rolls to-hit, granting it to their fired weapon for that Shooting Phase (all models in the same unit must choose the same Special Rule):

• Blessed: Wounds from this weapon ignore Cover Saves.
  • Inferno: This weapon may re-roll failed to-wound rolls.
  • Shock: A unit which was successfully hit (but not necessarily wounded) by this weapon will be I1 for the following Assault Phase.
  • Tempest: An Armour Penetration roll of 6 made by this weapon inflicts a Glancing Hit, regardless of the target unit's armor.
    (Maybe this too?):
  • Venenum Gel: This weapon gains the Poisoned (2+) Special Rule. This may only be chosen if a Venenum Temple Assassin is included in the Army List.

The main advantage here would be that this one special rule could be applied to the Sparrow Squad and the Celestian Gunners with the same effect as their currently separate special rules, and it would also allow the Celestian Gunners to make some interesting new choices - do I trade in my Storm Bolter for a Stalker, losing a second shot of Special Ammo, but increasing my range?

Also, one thing I ran into with Shock (I've used a variant of it in a Custodes list I've been fiddling, posting that on Homegrown soon) is whether or not it effects walkers. I leaned towards it not doing so, but I might've been a bit oversensitive to making it too powerful, since Custodes lists have a tendency to be a bit much :P Finalized a new Army List design as well, should have some pages of OotFB whipped up in the next few days.

Edit:

I'm not exactly sold on the idea of Sisters of Battle whos stats are better than SM captains....and can apparently come back from the dead.

Huh? Which unit are you talking about? If you mean the Fallon, its increased stats are due to the aftereffects of daemonic possession (the same S and T as a Possessed marine), not a flimsy justification based on skill/experience. It's reasonable fluffwise, and an expensive solo model wouldn't quite work out at S and T 3.

Adding Plasma would be sound and simple, the weapon class isn't exactly overpowered, after all.

Stalkers might also work out, but does give me a thought on Special Issue Ammo. (Also, I'd advocate dropping the Storm Bolter weapon option from the Battle Squad/other non-Veteran units getting these two new weapons, to keep the options from getting a bit out of control.)

Perhaps instead of having a set profile for the ammo's use with Storm Bolters and something similar for the Sparrows' Pistols, perhaps reduce each ammo type to a Weapon Type Special Rule which can then be granted to any Bolt weapon? This would allow it to work with Stalkers, which might be fun.

Veteran Ammunition: A model firing a Bolt Pistol, Boltgun, Stalker-Pattern Boltgun or Storm Bolter may select one of the following Special Rules immediately before it rolls to-hit, granting it to their fired weapon for that Shooting Phase (all models in the same unit must choose the same Special Rule):

• Blessed: Wounds from this weapon ignore Cover Saves.
  • Inferno: This weapon may re-roll failed to-wound rolls.
  • Shock: A unit which was successfully hit (but not necessarily wounded) by this weapon will be I1 for the following Assault Phase.
  • Tempest: An Armour Penetration roll of 6 made by this weapon inflicts a Glancing Hit, regardless of the target unit's armor.
    (Maybe this too?):
  • Venenum Gel: This weapon gains the Poisoned (2+) Special Rule. This may only be chosen if a Venenum Temple Assassin is included in the Army List.

The main advantage here would be that this one special rule could be applied to the Sparrow Squad and the Celestian Gunners with the same effect as their currently separate special rules, and it would also allow the Celestian Gunners to make some interesting new choices - do I trade in my Storm Bolter for a Stalker, losing a second shot of Special Ammo, but increasing my range?

Also, one thing I ran into with Shock (I've used a variant of it in a Custodes list I've been fiddling, posting that on Homegrown soon) is whether or not it effects walkers. I leaned towards it not doing so, but I might've been a bit oversensitive to making it too powerful, since Custodes lists have a tendency to be a bit much :( Finalized a new Army List design as well, should have some pages of OotFB whipped up in the next few days.

I'd agree; special ammo could use a bit of a cleanup into a wargear entry. It also gives a few side-bonuses, like making Celestian Gunners with Heavy Bolters a bit more tempting. Gunners with stalker-patterns and heavy bolters are a nicely scary sit-back-and-shoot unit now.

Also added in a new Dragon-variant, the Bahamut.

Mika and the Sparrows got a tweak as well; base cost went up a bit, but special ammo comes standard.

I'm not exactly sold on the idea of Sisters of Battle whos stats are better than SM captains....and can apparently come back from the dead.

Huh? Which unit are you talking about? If you mean the Fallon, its increased stats are due to the aftereffects of daemonic possession (the same S and T as a Possessed marine), not a flimsy justification based on skill/experience. It's reasonable fluffwise, and an expensive solo model wouldn't quite work out at S and T 3.

Not to mention that Fallon can't use Faith, and can come close to 200 points when fully geared up.

Converting some bits to pdf, noticed a few things;

Kolbe lacks Ally of the Order. Intentional?

Is the Inquisitor's new statline an intentional change, or a holdover from last edition?

A thought on the Inquisitor; maybe have Terminator Armour just overwrite the Carapace Armour and the Grenades, leaving the weaponry untouched? We know that Termies can potentially use Bolt Pistols (Njal has one), and it would greatly simplify the options/allow for new weapon combos.

Palatines have a rule, "Into the Fray". Is that just an earlier name for Lead from the Front?

Kolbe lacks Ally of the Order. Intentional?

Nope, I goofed. Probably a side effect of Kolbe predating the OotFB codex.

Is the Inquisitor's new statline an intentional change, or a holdover from last edition?

Was a holdover from the old Codex, but I don't see a pressing need to change it. Everyone knows that in the Imperium Authority Equals Asskicking, and Inquisitors have a lot of authority.

A thought on the Inquisitor; maybe have Terminator Armour just overwrite the Carapace Armour and the Grenades, leaving the weaponry untouched? We know that Termies can potentially use Bolt Pistols (Njal has one), and it would greatly simplify the options/allow for new weapon combos.

Njal aside, Terminator Armor restricting your weapon options pretty established in the background, and every model that has the option for Terminator armor in a GW Codex has to deal with a restricted weapons list.

Palatines have a rule, "Into the Fray". Is that just an earlier name for Lead from the Front?

Yeah.

Eh, it's always struck me as something of a pointless limitation - the loss of grenades/sweeping advance seems like enough of a secondary balancer beyond increased points costs. Regardless of that, perhaps let Termie-armoured Inq.s purchase a Hellrifle so they can get their shooty-radical on? :P

Also, Sioban's Hammer seems a little odd now Daemonhammers are Force Weapons in addition to being Thunder Hammers. Perhaps change it to a Thunder Hammer with Daemonbane? (Daemonbane being the special rule granting Nemesis Force Weapons their anti-daemon qualities.)

Like the look of the Bahamut; maybe have the Executioner Plasma Cannon available as an option to replace the Twin-linked, similar to the Tiamat's Melta Cannon upgrade?

Archived