Codex: Order of the Faithful Blade

Eh, it's always struck me as something of a pointless limitation - the loss of grenades/sweeping advance seems like enough of a secondary balancer beyond increased points costs. Regardless of that, perhaps let Termie-armoured Inq.s purchase a Hellrifle so they can get their shooty-radical on? :D

Hellrifles, I can do; and I just did.

Also, Sioban's Hammer seems a little odd now Daemonhammers are Force Weapons in addition to being Thunder Hammers. Perhaps change it to a Thunder Hammer with Daemonbane? (Daemonbane being the special rule granting Nemesis Force Weapons their anti-daemon qualities.)

Easy fix to avoid a bit of rules/fluff wonkiness.

Like the look of the Bahamut; maybe have the Executioner Plasma Cannon available as an option to replace the Twin-linked, similar to the Tiamat's Melta Cannon upgrade?

I would like some sort of upgrade option for the turret to stay true to the theme, but I'm concerned that going up an Executioner turret might be a bit too much. It's a lot of dakka.

The Executioner's equivalent to three Plasma Cannons, so it wouldn't be more dakka-y than the PlasCan turret with sponsons, but I guess that would make it kinda a boring upgrade (and an executioner with PlasCan sponsons would be overkill/too expensive), not sure what to expand it too though. A Plasma template would be too much in that it would ignore all armour and cover saves, so that form of expansion's out. Maybe a "line"-type Plasma weapon, similar to the Blood Angels' Blood Lance Psy power? Some sort've advanced Plasmacutter, normally used in Admech workshops to quickly cut large sheets of metal. The player can trace a 4d6" line from the weapon, and all models under the line suffer a S7 AP2 hit. It gives up the bulk killing power of the PlasCan in exchange for sniping capability.

On the other hand, the Adeptus Custodes minidex I'm putting up in a few hours has a semi-plas longish distance anti-tank weapon (fluffwise, it's more along the lines of a Las weapon, but has some mechanics which are undeniably similar to plasma weapons. It's supposed to be one of those old artifact "yeah we're not sure how this works"type weapons), but I'm not quite sure if it would really gel with the Order (partly because its Cascade mechanic is meant to highlight instances in which two of them are equipped to a vehicle.) Still, here's the lil' feller:

Falconet Sol: Range:36" S7 AP2 Type: Heavy 3, Cascade

Cascade: If at least three shots from all the weapons with the Cascade Special Rule in a unit hit their target, all shots from weapons with Cascade from that unit may roll an extra d3 when determining Armour Penetration.

The Custodes have the opportunity to use that on some BS5 platforms and units equipped with two of 'em, so currently it seems a bit too luck-based when used alone on BS4.

...actually, had an idea on how to alleviate that in a potentially fun way while I was typing this, a tracer mini-turret mounted on a vehicle similarly to a Hunter-killer missile that pads out the amount of Cascade shots being fired at the enemy unit:

Lume Tracers: Range:24" S2 AP5 Type: Assault d3, Cascade

Hmmm, coupla thoughts (had while pdfing); maybe shift "Specialized Turret" to "This Vehicle fires its weapons as though it were a Fast Vehicle.", a bit more generic/applicable cross the Immos and Dragons. Would also be a bit of a buff to Sponson-usin' tanks.

Maybe add a note stating that the Rhinos/Repressors from IA2 cannot select Holy Promethium, Blessed Ammunition or Holy Icon.

Which squads have access to the Command Immolator?

Maybe give the Command Immolator an option to have Special Ammunition, would support the veteran theme.

Hmmm, coupla thoughts (had while pdfing); maybe shift "Specialized Turret" to "This Vehicle fires its weapons as though it were a Fast Vehicle.", a bit more generic/applicable cross the Immos and Dragons. Would also be a bit of a buff to Sponson-usin' tanks.

Maybe add a note stating that the Rhinos/Repressors from IA2 cannot select Holy Promethium, Blessed Ammunition or Holy Icon.

Which squads have access to the Command Immolator?

Maybe give the Command Immolator an option to have Special Ammunition, would support the veteran theme.

Changing specialized turret into shooting as though they were fast vehicles sounds fine.

Making those adjustments to the IA2 Rhino/Repressor is fine.

The Command Immolator is HQ-only. I would have to say no to Special Ammunition though; none of it's current weapon options can use it, after all.

Whoops, totally forgot it was malleus weaponry only. Certainly not advocating putting loading Special Ammo into a psycannon :P

One thing that comes to mind, though; if both an HQ and the unit it's joined to can purchase a Dedicated transport, then there could be an excess transport or two lying around to hand over to any Fallon. Not a big problem, though, since the Fallon is most effective when she's being a deep-strike bomb.

Also, since the Vulture entry here is significantly altered, both options-wise and fluffwise, maybe rename it? While having a flight of Vultures cruising above the Imp. Guard corpse-laden battlefield is thematic for that army, the name/imagery doesn't work as well for the Sisters. (Plus, not having it specifically be a Vulture-variant means it can be modeled off the cheaper Valk-chassis :P) "Ibis" bounces to the fore of my mind when I try and think of a name, but I'm not sure if a bird name would be a great choice, the only OotFB unit with a bird-name would be the sparrow squad (kinda shame Valkyrie's already taken it'd be perfect.)

It is a pity Valkyrie's taken, since it would just about perfect.

I suppose if we want a bird-name, "wren" would fit nicely into the generally Irish/Welsh theming of the Order. Or I could dig around in Irish and Welsh folklore and mythology, and see if I can find something good.

Kestrel briefly caught my eye as a name, but kestrels are a type of falcon, and considering the other project I'm working on, I'm inclined to save the name Kestrel for them.

Maybe something similar to Vendetta? Any Irish/Welsh lore with an iconic term for vengeance/crusade or somesuch? Might work out.

Looking at the Dragon tanks; when equipped with the same default weaponry to Immolators they don't really add much to the army that isn't already present in great amounts, their only difference being a slightly higher front/side armour value (11 to 12 not being a huge leap in durability.) They're not unbalanced or anything as-is, but it might be worth it to have their turret upgrades simply be their default turrets.

Edit: Should the Celestian Gunners and Dominions have access to Krak Grenades in some form, whether it be default or option?

Not really a criticism/advice, just a couple of naming things. I'm writing the Stalker-pattern Boltgun into the pdf as just "Stalker Boltgun", and the "Shotgun w/ Executioner Shells" as just "Executioner Shotgun", mainly since the full names take up that little bit extra space that can be kinda painful. Also, helps distinguish the Stalker from Telion's unique weapon, and it feels kinda weird to identify the Shotgun's shells when it's the only shotgun in the 'dex.

Assuming the Kestrel's for the Errant Falcons :P? Read the IA, looks pretty good - had one or two ideas of how to rules 'em as a minor alteration of the Blood Angels 'dex, if you're interested.

I'm pretty happy with the Dragons as they are; at the basic level, the higher AV, the ability to take them in squadrons, and not being transports are all pretty big changes.

The current Celestian Gunner entry have Kraks listed as default wargear. Blades and Martyr's don't get kraks, but then they have the option for multiple evisverators in a single unit, which makes kraks superfluous anyway.

Dominions need access to them though; added a 5 point for the entire squad upgrade.

Little naming changes to help the PDF look better are fine.

Kestrels will be going to the Falcons. Fell free to PM any ideas my way, since I've been toying with some custom rules for them.

For renaming the Vultures...

Harrasser (inspired by the Harrier, since Vultures basically are)

Houri (Named for the 99 virgins that await Islamic martyrs.. kind of a middle-eastern Valkyrie)

Banshee/Beansidhe (a little overdone, but it fits the Irish theme)

Teirtu (A welsh Bard who created a harp that plays itself and ensorcels people to keep listening)

Gwyntred (From "Gwynt-Traed-y-Meirw," or " wind blowing over the feet of the corpses")

Cyhiraeth (A welsh 'sound omen' of death - the mythological source of the Banshee's wail, since you have to actually see a Banshee for the omen to stick)

Tolaeth (Another Welsh death-omen. The Tolaeth can "only be percieved by one sense at a time")

• 9 months later...
Yeah, but they either have schizophrenic combos (Plasma pistol & Bolt/Las pistol) which are meh since both have very different preferred targets, or are hilariously expensive - why would I deck out my sergeant with 2 plasma pistols for 30pts when it leaves him a close range shooter with no close combat ability? Seraphim are still unique as a unit that can take dual pistols while still remaining cost-effective ;)

Stormtrooper Sergeant can get (for free) bolt pistol and hot-shot laspistol, or even two bolt pistols.

Canoness can get a pair of inferno pistols for the same price as the Seraphim ones.

Snap-fire makes a plasma and a bolt pistol a viable combination, anyway (as I discovered to my pleasure last night). I just wish I could give my Superiors inferno pistols (Dominions snapfiring with four meltaguns and two inferno pistols, hee...)

Huh, that simplifies things. Makes sense; Seraphim are practically the only unit in the game that can get a good pair of pistols for a decent price, after all. Maybe give them the ability to fire weapons in the Shooting Phase even if they're in Close Combat so they can remain one of the "Assaultier" Sisters unit.

I don't think Seraphim need extra assault punch for OotFB; Knights, Lancers, Celestian Martyrs, and Blades all fill in the close combat role just fine. I like them better as mobile skirmishers.

Archived