Dark Angels and Sisters of Battle

Dark Dajin

So I was thinking, since greenwing DA's are generally regarded as being 'shootie', would it be a good tactic to add one or two full squads of Sisters to act as close fire support / intercept CC (cannonfodder)?

There's nothing the Sister can do that marines can't do better except for acts of faith...The I,S,WS and T of marines comes to it's own and just for a few points more. If you're looking for support options, You have scouts that can fulfill same roles.. unless you make heavy usage of Elite slots,

my two cents.

What about the whole dislike/hatred of the Inquisition that the DA have, wouldn't that extend to the sisters? Or are they sort of a seperate group as far as the DA are concerned. And yeh, marines are better, and I would employ, personlly termies. Gotta love the Deathwing, they also look great.

I was asking because I have written fluff for my chapter that involves a large number of women, and would like to reflect that on the gaming table. I dislike the idea of creating Female Space Marines, so that is why I wanted to field them as Sisters of Battle.

And I understand that they have their weaknesses, but being able to field so many flamers should be an advantage against hordes, right? And 20 bolters for 220pts is quite cheap filler in my opinion :D

I was asking because I have written fluff for my chapter that involves a large number of women, and would like to reflect that on the gaming table. I dislike the idea of creating Female Space Marines, so that is why I wanted to field them as Sisters of Battle.

And I understand that they have their weaknesses, but being able to field so many flamers should be an advantage against hordes, right? And 20 bolters for 220pts is quite cheap filler in my opinion :lol:

Well if you are going from a fluff perspective, then you can never have female SM in 40K. Also from a fluff perspective DA do not have allies either. I am not saying you can't do this, because it's your fluff, you can do what ever you want, but since you came here to ask for our opnions, I would have to say you are wrong on 2 fronts right there. No female SM, no allies for DA.

Also since you are mentioning point costs, it just looks like you are trying to power game by squeezing as much as you can for points, (more bang for the buck) and justify it with fluff. Maybe this isn't your intent, but that is what I see when you had to metion points, for me, fluff went out the window. When you do about fluff, you shouldn't care about point costs. :blush:

Hehe, I do go from the fluff POV, just wanted to make the SoB's in general more attractive, as they do have quite an old codex.

But the Guardian Angels are not your typical DA. Sure they copied the chapter structure and colors from the Dark Angels, but that is so they cannot be identified as being a separate chapter :ph34r:

Their home base is a very old space station that was created during the dark age of technology. Their flagship is an exorcist class grand cruiser which was the original vessel that was sent out to investigate the rumors about the station. This was just before the start of the Horus Heresy.

Because the DA company master did not know who to trust after the HH, they cut all ties with the DA and started recruiting on human worlds close to the station. Being severely short handed, they recruited men and women alike to fight. Although the women were unable to successfully receive the gene-seed, they were able to wear power armor, created on the small forge aboard the station.

That is a small summary/excerpt of the fluff I'm currently still in the process of writing...

Is it any good? Bring that constructive criticism :unsure:

That is good Dark Dajin. I didn't think you could pull it off, but I like so far. It is original, was taken off guard when you said DA Company master didn't know who to trust, I thought now way. But why not? Would your Guardian Angels be considered Fallen? Would they be persecuted by the DA, or are they back in the chapter now? I didn't think it could be pulled off, but I like so far. Keep it up, would love to hear a more fleshed out version.

I think it is an exellent idea, just because the DA have a very strong monkish theme, and the sisters of battle is nuns in space, so mixing them together makes perfectly sense, although perhabs not from a fluff perspective. Go for it!

And I understand that they have their weaknesses, but being able to field so many flamers should be an advantage against hordes, right? And 20 bolters for 220pts is quite cheap filler in my opinion :ermm:

Well if you are going from a fluff perspective, then you can never have female SM in 40K. Also from a fluff perspective DA do not have allies either. I am not saying you can't do this, because it's your fluff, you can do what ever you want, but since you came here to ask for our opnions, I would have to say you are wrong on 2 fronts right there. No female SM, no allies for DA.

Also since you are mentioning point costs, it just looks like you are trying to power game by squeezing as much as you can for points, (more bang for the buck) and justify it with fluff. Maybe this isn't your intent, but that is what I see when you had to metion points, for me, fluff went out the window. When you do about fluff, you shouldn't care about point costs. ;)

This seems rather harsh, considering:

1. He already said he was going for Sisters of Battle, not female Space Marines

2. The "no female space marines" thing is only barely supported in an obscure white dwarf article, and merely upheld by legions of angry 40k borderline-mysogynistic fans who don't like imagining their masculine "He-men" as women. Plus I dislike arbitrary restrictions on creativity from blanket statements like "... you can never have female SM in 40K".

3. Taking lower points-cost units is a perfectly acceptable practice in a 40k and hardly consists of "power-gaming" any more than taking a heavy bolter instead of a lascannon in your tactical squad would.

Back on topic, I like the theme so far, and you have good justification for it.

Alright, a few thoughts:

First, I'm on record as pretty much considering the "No Allies for DA" to be both monumentally stupid from a "fluff perspective" and overly simplistic. I'm also an avid player of the Sisters of Battle.

If you are going with a "Shooty" Dark Angels army, the Sisters could make a good support unit. The idea that they don't add "much" beyond Acts of Faith is flawed, because Acts of Faith are a pretty big thing. A hefty 20-woman squad of girls is nigh-promised to be able to pass the check for AP1 bolter fire, and that's a huge, scoring troops squad. As they get whittled down, they'll be able to work in more defensive powers if they're needed.

Basically, I'd say try it out, maybe with some proxies. It's a more delicate thing to play - they ideally need to be in rapid fire range, but be unable to be charged - but its quite rewarding.

• 4 weeks later...
Well, went ahead and spent another paycheck on stuff :)

Here is a rough armylist.

I am not the best to judge on Dark Angel fluff,but the premise seems solid. Given the situation you described,you might try copying a page from the SW book and have them recruit warriors on those worlds that are dying on the battlefield,but have fought well. The idea that they were brought back from the brink of death by the Chapter would likely do wonders to ensure loyalty. You might also go with the idea that amongst that group that went to investigate it was a brilliant Apothecary..those are the ones in charge of the Dark Angel geneseed right? Anyways,a brilliant Apothecary that found a way for the gene-seed to work on females,possibly only from a certain planet near the chapters home base. This research was done to try and counteract the low numbers of suitable male individuals. Maybe the closest planet had a Matriarchal society,where the strongest and fittest were women(Like amazonian tribes or the structure of the Dark elves in D&D for instance) so while your chapter would find and recruit the men it could,it had to pass up the far more plentiful but problematic women.

That is if you don't say bugger that to the whole "Women can't be Space Marines" Bs.

Archived