New Dark Angels' artwork for the Black Library

ODM

This artwork has been showcased on the BL for a yet unnamed project. I'm assuming it's the rumored Kadillus Harbor novel? Is this Belial?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2CJ2DgXAD9Q/S-AWcMMQmNI/AAAAAAAAAJk/QwIXcJCpUTI/s400/DAJSullivan.jpg

That depends. I've seen, in various places, that Belial was currently master of the 3rd company during the attack (our codex), or, alternatively, he was the master of the Deathwing (ork codex, I think).

I think it probably is Belial, if we go by the 3rd company fluff, since he's wearing robes (generally said to indicate high ranking members of the chapter), and whatever the red design on his right shoulder pad is, it doesn't look like a tactical arrow, assault cross, or the devastator flame.

--BoR

It's generally written that Belial was Company Master of the 3rd Company leading the defense of Kallidus Harbor. In fact, he was almost killed in single combat with Gazkul.

The subject's got 3rd company markings, vet markings, a power sword and special backpack.

I think this is very probably Belial.

Good find ODM and a great image. Yep I think it's probably supposed to represent Belial too – storm bolter, power sword and skull on the shoulderpad are a clue but could also merely signify a Veteran of some kind – but my money's on Mr B.

Cheers

I

HsojVvad, Kadillus Harbor was an important part of a famous battle on Piscina IV between the Dark Angels 3rd Company, led by Master Belial, and an Ork invasion force led by Ghazghkull Thraka and Nazdreg. The 3rd Company was severely outnumbered, and could not hope to defeat the Orks alone, but Belial led a counterattack focusing on slowing the Orks until Dark Angel reinforcements could arrive. When they did, Ghazghkull was defeated, but he escaped, and soon after began his second invasion of Armageddon.

Notably during the Kadillus conflict, Belial faced Ghazghkull in single combat and was nearly killed. However, even being severely wounded, he still directed the Dark Angels' defense. His efforts on Piscina IV were a large factor in his being promoted to Master of the Deathwing.

I still doubt it's Belial though . The very reason why I think it's not Belial is because his personal heraldry is nowhere to be seen , not on a banner nor on his armour . Most likely it's a Vet Sarge .

Erdagon Faldan

Dark Angels Commander

Heretic Butt's Kicker :D

@ Renegade and Octavulg

Belial would have neither of these yet as he hasn't risen to MotDw yet. Maybe a company banner, but I doubt a personal one.

I would have to dig out my copy of Storm of Vengeance to be sure, but I remember that Belial was kitted out with a ludicrous variety of weapons. I remember the following items in his wargear list: power sword, power fist, master crafted bolt pistol, displacer (I think) field, plasma grenades, krak grenades, frag grenades, and I think he had melta bombs as well. Don't ask me where he keeps all of this - if you were to build a model of him, you'd need a bunch of Watchers in the Dark to carry the gear behind Belial like a pack of sherpas.

Very nice artwork, though. It certainly could be Belial.

I have a shotgun and a .22 rifle, but I don't usually carry them around with me when I go to work (unless I expect to be attacked by aliens). :P

My guess is Belial kept his extra wargear in his tent when he didn't think he'd be using it.

@ Renegade and Octavulg

Belial would have neither of these yet as he hasn't risen to MotDw yet. Maybe a company banner, but I doubt a personal one.

Dark Angels Masters get a personal banner once they reach the level of Master . Just like other Marine Captains do once they become Captain . And at that time , Belial was the Master of the 3th Co .

Erdagon Faldan

Dark Angels Commander

Heretic Butt's Kicker :D

WOW, nice picture, nice picture indeed! I do hope that we will see the figth between Belial and Ghaz, that would be sweeeet! Nevermind that he loses, as long as it is awsome!

"Faced with an ork invasion of Piscina IV, the 3rd Company of the Dark Angels believes the threat to be minimal. As enemy numbers continue to increase, their commander, Captain Belial, insists that his Company are strong enough to resist. But Scout-Sergeant Naaman knows just how dangerous this foe can be, and when a renewed greenskin offensive takes the Dark Angels by surprise, the orks swarm towards Kadillus Harbour. Little do the Dark Angels know of the technological power available to the xenos, and the true scale of the threat they face. Belial, Naaman and their fellow Astartes fight a desperate siege at Kadillus, knowing that they must hold out until Imperial reinforcements arrive or the planet will be lost."

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/Product/DefaultBL/xlarge/Purging-of-Kadillus.jpg

There's the full picture. Feb 2011

Archived