New Dark Angels' artwork for the Black Library

ODM

Yummy!

[...], and when a renewed greenskin offensive takes the Dark Angels by surprise, the orks swarm towards Kadillus Harbour. Little do the Dark Angels know of the technological power available to the xenos, and the true scale of the threat they face

Even if it does make the DA seem a bit tactically naive :P.

*spoilers: Naaman dies* ;)

:P Now you've gone and given the ending away *tuts*

Belay that -- you never know how it might turn out with the amount of retcon that sometimes goes on <_<.

Gav Thorpe, nice.

I've been and continue to be down on Angels of Darkness, because I don't think Gav Thorpe writes good dialogue or characters, but he is a good narrative writer, and I like his sci-fi take on 40k. (Most BL writers don't have a sci-fi take on 40k. They either go for a fantasy feel, like Ben Counter and McNeill, or they go for a comic book feel, like Dan Abnett.)

Purging of Kadillus shouldn't go anywhere near the Fallen, so Thorpe's weakness with dialogue and characterization shouldn't hurt him as much. And I love the way he thinks about the details of his stories in a more realistic and sci-fi fashion, so that bodes well for an action-packed story like this one.

Abnett's a good narrative writer too IMHO -- read Titanicus.

Never really analysed it that way. Shame Iain M Banks doesn't write for GW -- now there's a science based science fiction writer.

Realistically, I've come to the conclusion that generally BL books are aimed at a certain age level and they are formulated precisely for that age group, both in terms of language/vocabulary and content/sensationalism/philosophy.

Cheers

I

Should be interesting.

As for making the DA look a little underwhelming on the tactical side of things... well, they didn't know that the orks had a "tellyporta" (at least, I think that's how they spell it, but with Orks you never know.)

I happen to like Abnett's writing, but maybe that's just because I like things dark, down to earth, and gritty, which he does well in Guant's Ghosts, and Titanicus wasn't that bad either.

Also, the full cover artwork makes a few of the random seeming flashes in the first piece posted make sense--they're muzzle flashes from the other bolters.

And finally, the summary proves a well know piece of military advice: When in doubt, listen to the sergeant.

--BoR

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Boreas was indeed there as I recall it being mentioned in Angels of Darkness he fought in the battle. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing about Belial's and Namaan's Exploits as the codex doesn't do much justice.

How come no one has written a Ravenwing book though? Well, other than the old Ravenwing mentioned in Descent of Angels, but that's just to show their roots.

I have a shotgun and a .22 rifle, but I don't usually carry them around with me when I go to work (unless I expect to be attacked by aliens). :D

My guess is Belial kept his extra wargear in his tent when he didn't think he'd be using it.

yeah but your job isn't killing aliens all day long :lol:

I like that art alot. The heads look too small, even for marines. But it is a great piece and hopefully, an amazing book.

(Bring back Namaan!)

way to flog a concept to the Nth degree! The Piscina IV campaign started out as a home brew series of linked battles, played out over several issues of White Dwarf, then remade into the original Storm of Vengeance campaign box set, without the slightest mention of it's origins. This was way back in 2nd Edition. The events of this have of course become cannon, and for those feeling that the codex doesn't make enough mention of this campaign, there is a revised PDF of the Storm of Vengeance Campaign that I downloaded from the GW website. Not sure if it's still there but worth a look. To see Gav Thorpe now making a novel out of it takes the cake! I'm sure I'll end up buying and reading it all the same though.

On the subject of the artwork, I'm fairly sure it's meant to be 3rd Company Master Belial in the "historical" setting of the book. You can see the army badge of the Piscina IV campaign on his right leg greave, the two crossed swords in the buff coloured circle.

Cool campaign to play, and perfect for my "historical" setting 2nd Ed Dark Angels (Entire 3rd Company plus elements of DW, RW and scouts)

Storm of Vengeance was one of my first W40K purchases!! I still remember the cardboard building that came with it!!!!!

Cant wait to read the book. And i do think the picture is of Belial by the way.

way to flog a concept to the Nth degree! The Piscina IV campaign started out as a home brew series of linked battles, played out over several issues of White Dwarf, then remade into the original Storm of Vengeance campaign box set, without the slightest mention of it's origins. This was way back in 2nd Edition. The events of this have of course become cannon, and for those feeling that the codex doesn't make enough mention of this campaign, there is a revised PDF of the Storm of Vengeance Campaign that I downloaded from the GW website. Not sure if it's still there but worth a look. To see Gav Thorpe now making a novel out of it takes the cake! I'm sure I'll end up buying and reading it all the same though.

On the subject of the artwork, I'm fairly sure it's meant to be 3rd Company Master Belial in the "historical" setting of the book. You can see the army badge of the Piscina IV campaign on his right leg greave, the two crossed swords in the buff coloured circle.

Cool campaign to play, and perfect for my "historical" setting 2nd Ed Dark Angels (Entire 3rd Company plus elements of DW, RW and scouts)

Hey Battleplate, not sure why disapprove of the way GW is flogging the concept of the StoV campaign. I think the original SM army that it was play tested in Wd were Howling Griffons but GW decided to use one of the premier chapters for the Box Set... obviously as a marketing ploy. The second edition box set and rules were subsequently updated by a joint effort between Owen Rees, Andy Hoare and some of the B+C DA Mods. I think a fourth edition versionw as also published on line.....

Gav Thorpe got in to the act with the novel Angels of Darkness which is based on Piscina bu in the aftermath of the Ork invasion.... and now the Purging of Cadillus comes as its prequel... So it's all good for us DA fanatics... :lol:

Storm of Vengeance was one of my first W40K purchases!! I still remember the cardboard building that came with it!!!!!

I still have the card board power station sitting in my display cupboard!! :unsure:

Archived