Deathwing

Kyznetsovich

I've never really looked into playing Dark Angels but I think a Deathwing army would be pretty sweet to have. My only question is, can they be made into a very competitive list for stuff like 'Ardboyz and Rogue Traders, where I'll be using them 90% of the time?

I played Deathwing in an Ard Boyz style tournament (well Deathwing with with an allied inquisitor). I did ok and placed just below middle. I don't think they would be considered a highly competitive army. I came close to doing a lot better, had I been a bit luckier in 1 particular game. IMO they are pretty solid but they don't really have anything in particular that will put you on top, you will have to rely on your skill and tactical ability.

My answer to this question is: YES.

It will, however, require you to learn the units' strengths and weaknesses against each threat they could face and build a list that combines that knowledge with your local metagame and playstyle. Deathwing is fully a water-style army. I am of the opinion that mech Deathwing is stronger than the basic foot slogging list, and just slightly stronger than its double-wing counterpart. The two lists play significantly differently though, and double-wing must be more aggressive to succeed.

While the codex is overpriced in certain areas, and we don't have updated rules for certain wargear, here are the basics of what makes them viable:

- 4th-edition style smoke makes armor almost invulnerable for a turn.

- 4th-edition style apothecary is able to save against plasma wounds and assault cannon rends.

- Venerable upgrade on dreadnoughts is cheap as we don't have to pay for the statline increase.

- Deathwing squads can be kit out to maximize wound allocation

- Fearless is awesome for small squads. Anyone that tells you different needs to take wolf guard and get run off the table after losing 2 models to shooting.

- Leadership 10 bubble from Rites of Battle for non-morale leadership checks.

- Reduced need for extra armor due to old Machine Spirit rules. I personally like the newer Machine Spirit rules a little more, but this does provide a means of points saving which can be helpful.

- Choice on first-turn deep strike via Deathwing Assault (as opposed to the mandatory first-turn drop for new Drop Pods)

This army will require better deployment, movement, and target priority on your part than most other armies. When built for full mech, however, the army is quickly able to limit the opponent's ability to deal with the armor.

Deathwing has some advantages, to be sure. It has some notable problems, however don't fixate on the differences between DA and the other Marine codices, as many of the differences balance out. Yes, you get lousier storm sheilds, but get better psychic hoods, etc.

If you're serious about winning tournaments, I'm not sure I can recommend the Deathwing in good faith. It's a competitive list, but like other lists it has trouble putting 3 big wins together in a row.

If you like pure terminators, you can always run a Space Wolf Loganwing. It's not as versatile as the squads can't teleport, but you can generate much more long range fire.

Sharing some experience, if it helps.

In my local area (Barcelona, Spain), stars are wolfs ( 3 full ML/LC/HB Long Fangs, 2 or 3 10 marines w/ 2 plasmas in rhino, runic priest with the raven and Jaws ... and 800 points to spare upto 2.000 ;) Usually Canis+15 wolfs and 3 pods [melta dread, 5 combi termies, 5 scouts] ) or daemon (2 whips, some 9 multi-weapon bad guys, a couple "crabs"). Big nids are also used... but don't do so well.

I play pure DW: Belial w/ apo and standard + 7*5 men squads + 3 bikes w/ 2 MG + AB w/ MC

Configuration: Sgt (PW/SB), PF/HF, CF/SB, Claws, TH/SS. Also have 2 AC, but I'm changing them to HF: not worth the points.

¿What do I do well against? Basically big cheap units. Orks, IG, even SM with no special kitting. When it gets to CC, ALL my weapons are power... so no saves :P:D:D Plus I always get a 2+/5+... if you just camp next to an objective, make that a 3+ when dropping to the ground :P

¿What's a pain? Initiative. Sgt+Claws in Ini 4 work decently, but PF+CF+TH Ini 1... many many attacks that only hit when everybody else is done :(

Since AP 1 and 2 is SO frequent (way too many meltas, plasmas and big guns like demolishers and so), you usually have to try to hide properly or ar least engage ASAP.

Usually what I do is: throw the bikes as far as possible, try to make 1 survive, deploy as close as possible, don't care if you charge me, I WANT close combate :P 20 termis putting pressure turn 1, then the other 3 squads, usually I keep them to secure objectives, at least one entrenched.

Forget about shooting: our weapons are FAR too expensive.

Forget about transport: give away points in aniquilation.

Forget about Initiative: 60% of your attacks are rolled when everybody has hit :P

Concentrate in what you do best: drop, flame, chaaaaaaaaaarge, consolidate :P

BTW: area is your friend... it gives saves PLUS when charged, they go with Ini 1... but remember you don't have grenades :(

Hope it helped!

I run Deathwing at my local stores. I have found them to be a very good army to play, and they can even be cheap if you add in blackreach termies :)

in a 1850 list I field 5 termy squads, a single land raider, and a venerable dread...in about twenty games, I have lost 1, tied 2 and won the rest.

thanks to terminator armor, we are immune to missile spam which has become a favored tactic.

we can move and still retain our shooting power

we can move, shoot, and then assault.

we are fearless, once on an objective the enemy has to kill us completely. No just running us off.

they are hard to play, you will always be outnumbered but they will surprise you every game with just how much they can actually take.

They're not competitive.

Firstly, if taking a 'proper' Deathwing army, you're limiting yourself to Terminators, Dreads and Land Raiders. This puts you at a disadvantage when campared to other armies who take a balanced list from across their codex

Secondly, our Terminators just aren't that good compared to some others. We lag massively behind in assault compared to SM TH/SS and BT TLC for example.

Doesn't stop them being huge fun though ;)

Archived