Days of Darkness: A Dawn of War Campaign

The Normish

Cutscenes and voice acting seems fine to me, but my only concern is that then we'd have to expand the voices to in-game responses, like "Yes sir!" and all that. We'd have to do that for a lot of units.

Is Thudo the guy who's always looking for voice acting for various projects? I forget. Of course, we'd all have to contribute our own voices for the sake of author narcissism, haha.

Heck, I'm sure with enough polish and repetition, even amateur voice acting could cut it, I mean, perhaps the best people to voice these guys would be the really rabid fans of W40k. Well, that's all for later. It's good to know that it can happen though. I personally am pushing for a replacement to heretic voices (We've Captured it for CHAOOOOOOS!!!!!) and some ork lines (We're all gonna DIIIIIIEEEEE!!!!!). Otherwise, if I may make some suggestions, I feel like the Necron Lord should have as unctuous a voice as those Necrodermis vocal generators will allow. I feel like any NL who retains most of his personality must have something striking about them.

Hmm... One thing I just realized. If The Normish wants the races to be *insert personal unit here* we'll either have to make all the fiction name neutral, or other players will just have to deal with it. In which case, it falls to us to make the story actually interesting.

@ The Normish: Yep Thudo is that guy. Probably one of the most helpful people I've ever met. As for us contributing voices you'd have to give me a script and even then it would have to be for the SM, as I can get their vox effect with Audacity.

@FZappa: Yeah amateur voice acting would work. As for replacing voices, while I would like that, it would be a total pain to rework the voices. The Necron lord having a voice does interest me though, it would certainly set him apart from the rest of the units. Seeing as how this is a DIY chapter mod(If I'm not mistaken) the people would have to get over the name thing. The story itself is in The Normish's hands, but if necessary there are a lot of folks here who could probably help get a nice story set up that would help flesh out the characters and stuff.

Well, I was sort of going off the Dawn of War Campaigns for premise, and not everyone likes to play as the Blood Ravens, I'm sure.

Anyway, I think that before we get into the voice-acting and scripting and all that, we should sort out the meat of the Campaign.

Reaper297: How go the maps? Do you need any help, because I could find some other people to help, or if I can finally find a working copy of the modding tools I could to (I've tried the official links and everything).

I do have one thing to say for voices though. It would only be necessary for cutscenes, and for in-game replacement by extension, only for the guys who have different voices in the cutscenes. That way we wouldn't have to re-work all of the voices for every unit in the game.

Good luck with your exams, then!

Concerning the tools, I tried downloading using the link you provided, and although it installs, it doesn't work. When I load the Mission Editor, it says:

The procedure entry point ?Setup@Input@Plat@@YG_N_N@Z could not be located in the dynamic library Platform.dll.

It has done this every time I've tried using it, even when downloaded from different sources.

P.S. I'm going to have a limited internet connection starting Friday, I'm traveling, so you may not hear from me for a while. I will try to get my Missions finalized though by the time I get back, in a week or so.

Thanks.

I'll look into that error and see if I can find a fix for it. Could just be the tools installed awkwardly or something. I'll let you know if I find something out.

Have fun on your travels, in the meantime I'll be working on hopefully reworking the first map and getting a camera test map set up.

Edit: Wait just thought of something. Do you own Dark Crusade?

That might be the problem; I thought of that too.

In my THQ folder, all it says is that I have Soulstorm only. I should probably get Dark Crusade installed again, right?

How embarrassing.

EDIT: Incidentally, did you have a look at the update I posted on post 21? Is everything I write about so far feasible as far as modding goes?

Yeah that'll do it. Sadly relic never released tools for Soulstorm, so a couple guys came up with a work around that basically takes the environment related files from Soulstorm and put them into a mod.

And yeah I checked it out. Can be done with SCAR code and some markers. Shouldn't take that much time to get that done.

Well, sorry I haven't been up to much, but I've been without internet or my work materials for four days. And I won't be for a week or two.

My recommendation is to keep working on the maps, whenever you want to, and I'll try to get some creative work done, maybe some concept art for the booklet.

I have Internet for a day or two, so I'll get you guys some updates on my status.

Still nothing new for the mission specifics (shame on me), but I have been working on cover art for the .pdf booklet (I don't know if that's good or bad), and have designed a logo for the whole thing. I like things to look nice. The logo is still uncolored, and the cover art is unfinished, but I think you'd like to see them here:

Logo - needs refining, colors

gallery_50723_4325_134336.jpg

Artwork - needs finishing

gallery_50723_4325_1986518.jpg

• 1 month later...
I know I'm late to the race, but I'd like to be involved in this, please? Something along the lines of testing rules? I'm close to a fair amount of gamers than are great at this thing so it would be ideal, but I don't mind if you say no.

As in Captain Davian Thule? I quite like the character model myself, but I always preferred Angelos's voice. As long as it isn't Indrick Boreale!

Like I said, a lot of my work is not on this Computer, so I can't really get much work done on this project until at least early September. But if you think of anything, have any comments or suggestions, do not hesitate to post!

It was a guy who was asking for voice script writers, I think it was Thule, it might have been Thale or something like that.

I think you mean Thudo

And calgar101, I don't see why not. I'll try and get some work done myself.

I've added the link here for the Scouring of Nagorynth Campaign. Perhaps we can draw some inspiration from that?

As for myself, I did glance over it briefly. It was a Campaign that seems less driven by story and specific missions, and more along the lines of the later Dawn of War Campaigns.

I was hoping ours would sort of emulate the first Campaign, with a linear storyline (albeit the mission parameters would be influenced by the results of previous missions).

What do we all think of this?

EDIT: I also modified the first post to show a list of objectives, which will be the aspects of the project we need to complete. If you think of any more to add, or if any seem redundant or not needed, feel free to say so.

Oh you couldn't be more wrong. Back then, it just so happens that whilst I was on the B&C under the name Captain_Sevrius, we had quite a large narrative going. In fact, we each contributed quite a bit of fictional goodness to the campaign and I WAS compiling it into an e-novel. Sadly, the document was lost when my Dad at the time decided to sell my computer without my consent whilst I was away on service with the army.

If I had a considerable amount of time off from university at the moment I would even consider writing more 40k fiction, but alas, university is an uncaring banshee and is loath to let me wander too far off.

I have returned from the warp bearing news.

The code work is pretty much done for Days of Darkness. Characters are completely coded up with correct names and all. That's all for the code portion unless we need other things done.

The mapping has dwindled heavily on account of school and countless other projects. I still am able to map during my free time, but I think we need another mapper or two to help out. Also I think we might want to get a thread up on Relic News that way we can get some more team members recruited.

Glad to see you again!

Equally pleased to ehar about the coding. I take it that for character names and similar, if we need to change a few things, it would not be extremely difficult (we may want to generalize the plot a bit, make it less specific in terms of faction names), right?

And if you want to start the thread on Relic News, I make you head of the Relic News Branch!

This reminds me, I need to be working on this after I finish all my other work.

Archived