Days of Darkness: A Dawn of War Campaign

The Normish

Excellent Brother!

In that case, I'll be changing a few things. I've decided that it would be best if I didn't use my DIY Chapter for this, or its histroy for the plot (not to worry, the plot will be the same, just unrelated to anything I've built before). A little too egocentric, and possibly confusing for some people. so, what better Chapter to use for the Space Marines then the Imperial Fists, the noblest of all Space Marines! They're generic, under-represented, and have a neat-o color scheme!

Make sure to post a link to the thread when you make it.

Oh, and how good are you at things like cinematics?

Right everyone on the team so far, I've made a possible new cover for the PDF. I should probably be working on the actual Campaign though...

Anyway, feel free to criticize or anything, if you think you can improve the concept, feel free to draw your own version, and if you can color it in, great!

gallery_50723_4325_177900.jpg

Zoom in on it to get better quality.

Okay, I've modified the first two posts a little, and am doing the third. I've decide to just go ahead and use my CHapter for it anyway, I can't be bothered to make up new fluff (plus, it's shameless self-promotion).

Tonight I'll be working on the plot a little, and hopefully on the logistical concerns of the missions again.

So, feel free to update the RelicNews thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. A mutliplayer campaign for SS is long overdue. This has a LOT of potential. Its great to see modders working valiantly to keep DoW (nearly 6 years old) fresh and on its feet with more replay value than you can shake a chainsword at. The skirmishes are truly timeless with the help of folks in the modding community all over. So, useless goats like me tend to take our hat off to folks like you lot. However, a CAMPAIGN just sounds even better. A skirmish is a skirmish, and though it is true that as amazing as some mods are... it is still a skirmish, and after the bloody carnage, there is another skirmish. A campaign gives a lot of purpose to the fight, and a purpose brings a lot of (what can only be described as) UMPH! So, bring it on boys! I cannee wait!

As I say above, I'm not really a modder, but I write a lot of and if you wish, I could perhaps help you with some plot / mission development? I love stuff like that, and I ain't half bad at it, either!

Secondly, if you need any voice acting, give me a shout. I'm involved with a number of unfinished (that is to say, unreleased) mods at the moment but I'm fairly versatile. I've done tonnes with orks, a fair few with guardsmen, and a couple here and there for Space Marines. If you'd like some reels, I can ask very nicely that they be sent to you for a little listen to.

But, I'm here if you need me anyway. I must confess, I'm a little rushed at the mo and haven't read through the whole thread but I will do in an hour or so, so apologies if I've broken any forum rules - shan't do it again whatever it was if anything :) and er... good one guys! Bring on the Days of Darkness.

Right, back...

I've thoroughly read through the thread now. Done and done, and can can I say, this sounds EPIC! I noticed Reaper mentions seeking a bit of help from Thudo on the Voice Acting front. Rather fortuitiously, I'm currently dealing with Thudo regarding voices on a lot of ongoing projects, and have done over 50 unit voices for him spanning various races. Frustratingly enough, none of these are released yet but come the glorious day... I'd be only too happy to assist here also. I've also did some BETA testing for him and would like to do the same here also, if that is alright with project leader / Force Commander.

As for the writing of the plot, I would, with The Normish's permission, wish to assist there as well. I do a lot of writing to, and when it comes to writing my own stuff, I can get a bit a bit posessive, so I completely understand if you wouldn't want me involved in that. If you did allow the help, don't worry - as this is not my project, I would by no means be posessive ;)

So, all in all, give us a shout if you'd like my help as much as I'd like to help! Also, er... this may seem a bit arrogant but whilst waiting for your response, I am going to do a bit of writing for it. Of course, feel free to scrap it completly, its just a few ideas to throw at you. I'm a little excited about this project so its just something I can work at work whilst waiting for your reply.

Well, Obi, your enthusiasm and praise has already earned you a spot on the team! Welcome, to Days of Darkness and to the Bolter and Chainsword (I see you're new)!

As you can see, we're still not very far along, and we still have a rather small group here. I wish I could be doing more, but I haven't played DoW in some time (not having a computer is a hindrance). So most of my work is based off what I remember, which is why I can't finish the mission outcomes for the Campaign (I can't remember about Tech-trees and things like that).

As for story writing, any help would be appreciated of course! I messaged calgar101 about it, because he volunteered earlier, but I still haven't heard back from him. Myself, I've been overloaded with procrastination and work, but mostly procrastination: I'm still writing a short paper that I started Saturday. So, sure, you can try improving what I have written so far, or you can get cracking on some inter-mission story that could use points of interest on the planetary map and have some character development.

As for voice-acting, I think it's best if first we get the plot and logistics out of the way, before making it aesthetically pleasing. Unfortunately, some of my team are rare on the thread (I know Reaper297 is busy with real-life, and is FZappa). So, feel free to make any suggestions on how this could be better organized, it's obvious you have the most experience with modding.

Again, welcome to the team, I'll update the um... updates.

As warned - lol - I have did some writing of plot and mission. This is your project and I'm just a cheerleader, so don't worry when you see that your Mission 1 now resembles Mission 10. So, without further ado

Mission 1: The Guard Falls

Map: name

Factions: Necrons vs. Imperial Guard

Background: The Necrons have overrun the continent 'X' and all but one sanctuary remains in Imperial hands: Fort Steelforge. Holed up within this doomed bastion, and surrounded on all sides, the last survivors of an obliterated continent hang on for bitter life. Leading these battle-weary men is their leader Commissar Alcian Lyons. Lyons is the only reason these men are sitll alive. Unlike many Commissars, Lyon's wills his men on by his words, and not his gun. The last of 'X's (continent name) civilians remain in the factories and the bravest pilots of Masheeba's navy flay back forth through peril to take them to safety. Lyons had been requested to step onto the first transport, but insisted "My Guardsmen will not move from here until the civilians are safe, and I will not move from here until my Guardsmen are safe!"

Victory Conditions:

Necrons: Annihilate

Imperial Guard: Hold out for half an hour / hour

Results:

• Necron Victory: Necrons capture factories and adapt them into their own mass-production facilities. Increases Necrons squad / vehicle cap by 5 for rest of campaign

• Imperial Guard Victory: Commissar Alcian Lyons saved and is spawned with IG HQ at the start of every mission thereafter. Commissar Alcian Lyons does not use the execute command, but instead rallies his men without bloodying his own men, and better, he regenerates the health of his squad at a greater rate than that of a regular commissar. A true hero! Also, a +2 to infantry cap. Its not much, and I personally think its too much when given with the commissar, but I have suggested it simply because it represents the survival of some men.

Notes: I realise this calls for a bastion map which is not as you planned (nor, sadly, what Reaper has already catered for). However, I believe it sets the scene immediately and shows exactly what the Imperial Guard (and Masheeba's civilians) have been up against. It may be quite bitter, but as a side note, I think for this mission, it would be neccessary to actually disable the Imperial Guards Command Squad. Also, I can't stress enough, I am just throwing ideas at you and don't expect you to roll with any of this.

Mission 2: The Flood Gates Open

Immediate Note: As much as I'm a fan of Necrons and Imperial Guard, I'd be careful of putting any one race in more battles than others. If they are to pick up little perks for every victory, they may be overwhelming when compared to other forces, so, for that reason, I'd suggest that after Imperial Guard and Necrons, all other forces start with their perk but are able to LOSE it as opposed to gaining one. As for the IG and Ns walking into a level where one of them have lost a perk and everyone else still has there's... well, serves them right for losing Mission 1. And sorry, yet again I have mumbled your factions around which may destroy any plot you have made for this already.

Map: name (note: ORBITAL BOMBARDMENT feature should be made)

Factions: Eldar vs. Dark Eldar vs. Necrons vs. Imperial Guard

Background: I may have went a little OTT on that last one, so I will keep the rest brief to make the read easier for you. Imperial Guard unleash Necrons. Necron's go 'yargh, die puny mortal' and said puny mortal sets off his beat alarm. One of those who hear it and decipher it are the Eldar. Eldar gear up for a fight with their old enemies. Dark Eldar leader has a bone to pick with the Eldar leader. Strange battle. Imperial Guard can ally Eldar - this is an option. If (and only IF) that happens, the Dark Eldar / Necrons can ally together. If they do ally together, Necrons being Necrons - will (if possible) break allegiance the second the Imperial Guard AND Eldar are defeated and they fight anew. Alternatively, Necron and Dark Eldar should be placed in such a way that, if their players wish it, they can avoid 'contact' until such a time that their allied foes are deaded.

Victory Conditions:

• Control Area

• Take and Hold

Results:

• Eldar Victory (if allied): Gain alliance with Imperial Guard for any future engagements where they are both involved

• Eldar Victory (if didn't ally) Destroys Dark Eldar webway - decreasing future Dark Eldar squad and vehicle caps by 5 (which is a nifty idea within itself, as it kinda reflects the animosity between both sides, but I imagine Eldar players would find this a bit useless, and so, if not that, then how about +2/+2 Eldar, and -1/-1 Dark Eldar, Imperial Guard, and Necrons.

• Dark Eldar Victory: A whole lotta slaves! Each level begins with 2-3 Slave Cages already made.

• Necron Victory: One of the factories contained some data on the orbital bombardment. Once every future engagement, they may issue incorrect information to Imperial fleets and have them send an Orbital Bombardment to a desired location. (Thinking about this, its not actually that great unless MAYBE if used at the start. However, bare in mind this is potentially the second perl they've recieved)

• Imperial Guard Victory (if allied): Gain alliance with Imperial Guard for any future engagements where they are both involved.

• Imperial Guard Victory (if didn't ally): Factories preserved. That's +4 to the home team's vehicle cap. (Far more advantageous to NOT ally, but the opportunity to ally brings something 'cool' to the game. Besides, it wouldn'pt be the first time...

Mission 3: Scavengers and Barbarians

Background: After their last battle, the Dark Eldar are rich with the spoils of war, and feeling very confident. Confident enough to go it again and see what ork plunders can be taken OR, have just had their asses handed to them and need to quickly raid some new supplies. Either way, orks available for plunder. Orks however, have a similar idea. They fight it out.

Factions: Dark Eldar vs. Orks

Victory Conditions:

• Game Timer: This mission lasts one hour. Each time a Strategic Point is claimed, the faction who captured it obtains a point. At the end of the one hour time limit, the faction with the most points is the victor. Critical Locations and Relics have no function other than their default ones.

Results:

• Dark Eldar Victory: A whole lotta more slaves! +2 more cages - this is getting silly, but hey... they earned it.

• Ork Victory: Can call a WAAGH! Now this is deadly. It summons 'X' amount of AI Easy orks to come fight for them in their next battles (where 'X' equals number of player slots not used in a bttle the orks are involved in!)

Mission 4: A New Threat, And A Call For Help

Map: name (note: the map may contain only a single relic)

Background: Imperial Guard are by now battered and desperate. Whether or not they've been winning, the fact remains, there are xenos and aliens and Necrons running around their planet like they own the place and its only a matter of time before the planet is destroyed. And now, heretics are added to the list. In a moment of absolutel ecstacy, the Imperial Fists make contact with the beleaguered Guardsmen, however, that ecstacy disisapates when the contact is interupted, and ultimately, severed. by a storm. A Techpriest confirms there a particular Relics Listening Post is so advanced, it may be possible to reconnect with the Space Marines in orbit. But as it stands, Chaos has entered the fray.

Victory Conditions:

• Game Timer: The Imperial Guard must capture and hold the relic for a minimum of ten minutes without interruption. If they lose the relic at any point of the mission, they lose. The objective of Chaos is to prevent the Imperial Guard from completing this objective.

Results:

• Imperial Guard Victory: Nothing really. The Space Marines have arrived - who could you ask for more?

• Chaos Victory: Imperial Guard lose all benefits - chaos gain them (except Lyons). A word of warning, this could potentially give Necrons a humungous vehicle cap... Nothing springs to mind at the moment though. Perhaps they start every other mission they're involved in with three squads of traitor guardsmen?

Note: What I love about your Campaign is how the great Space Marines are actually not involved until so late in the game. And how it appears you've gone about it thus far is just an awesome entrance. Also, I would have in that fight some reoccuring communication between Space Marines over the comms, but the Chaos keep interupting with bleak comments about the Guardsmen. When the relic has been captured, and the countdown begins, say, during the last thirty seconds, the same Space Marines make contact and insist they are closing in on their position, and that the Chaos are nothing short of FOOKED! Also, if possible, some AI spawned Dark Eldar should emerge just to add that extra bit of DOOM into the hearts of the Imperial Guards, and worse, some in-game dialogue between the Dark Eldar and Chaos spells out the fact that they will now be allies. The Imperial Guard player should be made to be terrified, and the Chaos player should be made to revel in this absoultely 'Chaotic' battle...

Mission 5: The Emperor’s Finest

Map: name (note: ORBITAL BOMBARDMENT feature should be made)

Factions: Space Marines and Imperial Guard vs. Chaos and Dark Eldar vs. Necron and Necron

Background: Hmmm... I think you've tailored the sotry so well around the late arrival of the Space Marines that (rather greedily, but deservedly so) the next battle should be an immediate continuation. However, if the last map was in the day, this map (possibly located elsewhere in the city on a similiar map) should be in the day, and vice versa indicating the Guardsmen have fought all night, and now their nights in Imperial Yellow Armour are here to open a can of Emperor-blessed Imperial Woopass. And also, more spanners in the works: the Necrons have entered the battle.

Victory Conditions:

• Annhilate

Results:

• Space Marine Victory: Maintain Orbital Bombardment

• Chaos and Dark Eldar Victory: To be determined

• Necron Victory: There's a lot of power in the sector that can be rigged into other necron pwoer structures elsewhere. Necrons begin every battle with 200 Power more than usual. (As they're Power-Crazy (ha-ha...) this might be a bit much, I'm not sure on it. Anyone?)

Mission 6: Xeno Interest

Background: Seeing that peeps down there have the situation far from under control, the Tau decide to take things into their own hand and seize the lot foooooor... Yes, you guessed it, the Greater Good. And so as the Eldar and Necrons fight it out (if allied to Imperial Guard, Eldar begin with two squads of Guardsmen, if possible) Tau join the frey.

Factions: Tau vs. Necrons vs. Eldar

Victory Conditions:

• Annihilate: The Necrons must defeat BOTH the other factions in order to win. The faction cannot let the Tau kill the Eldar or vice-versa, or it will be defeated. The other two factions can do as they please.

Results:

• Tau Victory: Get a Req increase at the start of each mission, and Stealth Suit infiltration researched for every abttle thereafter right form the start - imediately, and for free. No wait. Sounds like a bit much but they came in late, bless 'em.

• Necron Victory: More power!?!

• Eldar Victory: More Req? (Yes, I'm tired and thinking is getting harder!)

Actually, I'm gonna leave it there. Let me know what you think. The thing to remember is, these are just suggestions in every shape and form. You've probably got a lot of literature written down for this already, and I don't want to ruin that for you but I'm just giving you some ideas that you can pick and mix about. Jesus Christ - told you I liked the idea of your campaign, its 07.25 in the morning here - I missed my bedtime!!!

Wow! Normish, I was busying away on my third post so pyschotically that I completely overlooked your response. I am VERY pleased you'll have me. I will go over what you've said on your recent post and work with that for now.

On Voice Acting:

"As for voice-acting, I think it's best if first we get the plot and logistics out of the way, before making it aesthetically pleasing. Unfortunately, some of my team are rare on the thread (I know Reaper297 is busy with real-life, and is FZappa). So, feel free to make any suggestions on how this could be better organized,"

I couldn't agree more. Just letting you know that when the time comes, I'm here for ya bud, if you wish :(

On the topic of:

"it's obvious you have the most experience with modding" - I can only say, "Do not be decieved!" I have very little modding experience beyond voice acting and voice acting scripts unfortunately, but I'm happy to pick a few new things. I know you don't learn this stuff overnight, but if I let that stop me, then where will I get with it? Where I am now - Nowhere!

As you can see, I've already posted a fair chunk which I feared blatantly didn't really coincide with what you had in mind currently. If possible, could you e-mail me all story-related info you may have at present so I can perhaps help you along the path you already had in mind? I would love to assist in inter-mission stuff, so a bit more info on each mission would be great. I was wading through ideas last night (this morning!!!) without much thought so feel free to remove my third post. I went on a bit of a tangent. If there is anything there you like, great! If not, like I say, bin it as its otherwise a lot about nothing. If procrastination is getting the better of you, don't worry. Once everyone's got a better idea of what exactly they're doing, you may find the project carries itself.

But yeah, thanks for having me on the team. I'll have another read through the thread and have a think. Like I say, if you could send me all Mission info you have (background etc...) that'd be helpful. I am aware there is stuff on here already, is that all you have yourself? Any ideas floating in your head would be helpful. I'm just being weary I don't change something you already had in mind like I did last night! (I mean this morning!!! argh!)

Anyway, for the Emperor n' all that! Game on!

Well, Obi, I'm glad you could spare the time to make such a lengthy start.

First off, I'll address your ideas for the results of each mission. Each make sense for the mission, and with a few minor adjustments (we don't want anyone getting too much stuff), I think you can be in charge of those.

A few minor inconsistencies with the fluff. The Commander of the Imperil Guard on Marsheebi (an not "Marhseeba") is General Peosa, as indicated by my Factional Character List. I do however, like this idea for a secondary hero, a powerful and valiant Commissar. Reaper297 will have to do some more scripting, and it might mean we have to do custom units for each character. We'll think about that later, so we'll keep Commissar Lyons, and have the General be based at Headquarters, only making an appearance later on.

For the second mission, I'd rather we kept Chaos involved. This is the point in the story when they start to take advantage of the weakened military on the planet and come down from orbit. I see what you mean though about overusing a faction, but we can worry about balancing the rules later on. As for alliances, I think it's best if we stick with what I've already made for each mission, in order not to change the plot too much (it is a linear campaign, after all). I do see the potential for a cut-scene here, where the Eldar here an Imperial Guard call for aid, and decide to see what was going on.

Of course, this ties in well with the fourth mission, where the Guard announce that their communications as intercepted, and must attempt making contact with the Space Marines once again. But we'll get to that later.

I like the "Waaagh!" idea for the Orks. It may be useless in some maps, but we can deal with that later...

Mission 4: I'm visualizing an awesome end cut-scene, especially if the Imperial Guard win. As they're about to fall, Drop Pods plummet from orbit, and the Emperor's Finest distribute His Judgment with Extreme Prejudice! Of course, if the Guard lose, we'd need another cut-scene to show how they arrive on the field after everyone is dead.

I was thinking that the next mission would be a coordinated assault on a city with major Chaos presence (think STEEL REHN!). Perhaps we should include a message saying that the Sisters of Battle will be there in time for Mission 7? Cue sarcasm from Space Marine Captain.

I like the idea for Xeno Interest as well. Don't worry, we'll think up some results later on.

I'm really liking what you've done so far. With a little refinement and detailing, we can bring the plot together, and then we can work out the darn proper Mod work.

As for ideas of my own, I was thinking that somehow we should tie in the Xenobiology research station (otherwise I included it on that map for no reason). And when we build it, we can release the plot to a larger audience and ask fro their input.

Right. Well, I've just donwloaded the mod tools for Dark Crusade. You know where I can get the Soulstorm amendment that Reaper spoke of sometime ago? I've been toying about here and there and I think I might be able to fix you up a map or two, but it will br a brave first attempt so, don't get your hopes up. Will give it a good go though.

Comments...

What are your thoughts on the Mission 1 I suggested? I was thinking of fixing up a small fortress for it - a fortress that is essentially central of a map and thus attacked on all sides. Perhaps no recruitable units - gotta make do with what you got? Sounds cruel, but have a think about it. And yes, if you were to use Lyons, he would be best used as secondary commander. There is no reason to totally to remove a Command Squad figure head. However, what I meant by Lyons was that he was not in command of Masheebi, but rather responsible for the overseeing of the continent that gets torn to pieces by the Necrons. And so, though he has much to his jurisdiction, ultimately, he answers to Peosa (and when the Necrons dig in, he does as best he can to save as many civilians as possible before fleeing to safety himself.

Mission 2 - Chaos are back in play. Mission 1, depending on your thoughts, may have use of a spaceport already. We've brought two more devils into the game. How's about a large urban map, largely involving a plaza of some sort - something that may have been quite quaint a few days earlier. Chaos have defiled the place, including a centreprice cathedral to the God-Emperor? Necrons casually pushing into the city as they do, and Dark Eldar licking their lips at the ensuing disorder and vulnerability. Perhaps these guys have also seized one of those defensive stations in orbit you mentioned, though a similiar thing happened in Soulstorm. The reason I have avoided the idea of the Spaceport is purely becaus eof my suggestion to have similiar (evacuation spaceport) kinda in Mission 1.

Mission 3 - I thought it was great just the way you had it - so I didn'tdo anything with that.

What exactly is a Xenobiology Centre and what does it do? It sounds like a building dedicated to the study of Xenos, which is all good and that, but I imagine the Imperium might deem such a thing as heretical or something similiar. For that reason precisely though, it does sound worthy of plot-status lol

I guess it could hold within it an old Eldar artefact but the Imperium don't realise its power, and you could therefore have an Eldar vs. Imperial Guard battle, or even more likely, an Eldar vs. Sister of Battle (who are there to destroy the facility in its entireity whilst the war ravages on everywhere else and understand that if the Eldar want it so badly, it is worht destroying, period). If Eldar win, they get an increased recharge time for all abilities (the power of the artefact) and if Sisters win, mleh, they get NPC Guardsmen to assist for other battles.

Battle Outlook:

Eldar start off very close to the Xenobiology Facility / Centre faced by NPC Guardsmen. NPC Guardsmen are poorly kitted and defending the facility. Sisters's start off miles away and have an AI led group of Eldar to fight through before they can reach the facility. Therefore, by the time the Sister's truly get ready for the fight, in theory, the player-led Eldar should have captured the facility (probably a relic / crit location) which they need to then hold for ten minutes or so.

Eldar Victory: Take and Hold

Sisters of Battle Victory: Annhilate

Notes: This 'artefact' could even be the true reason the Eldar arrived. It wasn't to fight the Necrons, it was to retrieve the artefact. I guess you could even say that the Eldar, warriors of wit, themselves awoke the Necrons (and made it look like it was miners) in order to weaken the Guardsmen so they could take this artefact. With the artefact, they then hoped to leave altogether, however, they did not anticipate the Dark Eldar and their savvy knowledge of Webways to exit from their own webway (though entering it from Commoragh or something) and seizing it for their own leaving the Eldar trapped and in the mess along with everyone else.

So, that's my thought on the usage of your Xenobiology Centre. It sounds like a mission its own right, and could be used quite well for Eldar's interest in the conflict. I like the idea of Eldar's triggering the Necrons in the first place. Some people might argue that the Eldar would NEVER do such a thing, but perhaps that's exactly why they were successful ;)

Right. Well, I've just donwloaded the mod tools for Dark Crusade. You know where I can get the Soulstorm amendment that Reaper spoke of sometime ago? I've been toying about here and there and I think I might be able to fix you up a map or two, but it will br a brave first attempt so, don't get your hopes up. Will give it a good go though.

Comments...

What are your thoughts on the Mission 1 I suggested? I was thinking of fixing up a small fortress for it - a fortress that is essentially central of a map and thus attacked on all sides. Perhaps no recruitable units - gotta make do with what you got? Sounds cruel, but have a think about it. And yes, if you were to use Lyons, he would be best used as secondary commander. There is no reason to totally to remove a Command Squad figure head. However, what I meant by Lyons was that he was not in command of Masheebi, but rather responsible for the overseeing of the continent that gets torn to pieces by the Necrons. And so, though he has much to his jurisdiction, ultimately, he answers to Peosa (and when the Necrons dig in, he does as best he can to save as many civilians as possible before fleeing to safety himself.

Mission 2 - Chaos are back in play. Mission 1, depending on your thoughts, may have use of a spaceport already. We've brought two more devils into the game. How's about a large urban map, largely involving a plaza of some sort - something that may have been quite quaint a few days earlier. Chaos have defiled the place, including a centreprice cathedral to the God-Emperor? Necrons casually pushing into the city as they do, and Dark Eldar licking their lips at the ensuing disorder and vulnerability. Perhaps these guys have also seized one of those defensive stations in orbit you mentioned, though a similiar thing happened in Soulstorm. The reason I have avoided the idea of the Spaceport is purely becaus eof my suggestion to have similiar (evacuation spaceport) kinda in Mission 1.

Mission 3 - I thought it was great just the way you had it - so I didn'tdo anything with that.

For Mission 1: I like it, but it seems like instead of a fort, there should be soem kind of minor defensive structure where the civilians are being evacuated, and with a limited number of troops, you would have to hold off the Necrons (so still no recruitment). Peosa could be introduced in the later missions, no problem, it wouldn't make sense for him to be risking himself during an evacuation. More likely he's already begun the battle on the other continents, or is fortifying them up. Map-wise, I like the idea Reaper297 had, it makes it seem like a more disorganized maneuver, but I guess some sort of dockyard would be good too.

For Mission 2: I don't really visualize it as urban, more of a sort of industrial area, out of the city.

This, to my mind, is where all the alrge Spaceports would be (for materials and imports and such), and hence where Chaos would make its descent. I am planning to use the Cathedral idea as a centerpiece for the last mission, Apocalyptic End (it seems more fitting).

What exactly is a Xenobiology Centre and what does it do? It sounds like a building dedicated to the study of Xenos, which is all good and that, but I imagine the Imperium might deem such a thing as heretical or something similiar. For that reason precisely though, it does sound worthy of plot-status lol

I guess it could hold within it an old Eldar artefact but the Imperium don't realise its power, and you could therefore have an Eldar vs. Imperial battle, or even more likely, an Eldar vs. Sister of Battle (who are there to destroy the facility in its entireity whilst the war ravages on everywhere else). If Eldar win, they get an increased recharge time for all abilities (the power of the artefact) and if Sisters win, mleh, they get NPC Guardsmen to assist for other battles.

Battle Outlook:

Eldar start off very close to the Xenobiology Facility / Centre faced by NPC Guardsmen. NPC Guardsmen are poorly kitted and defending the facility. Sisters's start off miles away and have an AI led group of Eldar to fight through before they can reach the facility. Therefore, by the time the Sister's truly get ready for the fight, in theory, the player-led Eldar should have captured the facility (probably a relic / crit location) which they need to then hold for ten minutes or so.

Eldar Victory: Take and Hold

Sisters of Battle Victory: Annhilate

Notes: This 'artefact' could even be the true reason the Eldar arrived. It wasn't to fight the Necrons, it was to retrieve the artefact. I guess you could even say that the Eldar, warriors of wit, themselves intentionally awoke the Necrons in order to weaken the Guardsmen so they could take this artefact. With the artefact, they then hoped to leave altogether, however, they did not anticipate the Dark Eldar and their savvy knowledge of Webways to exit from their own webway (though entering it from Commaragh or something) and seizing it for their own leaving the Eldar trapped and in the ;) like everyone else.

So, that's my thought on the usage of your Xenobiology Centre. It sounds like a mission its own right, and could be used quite well for Eldar's interest in the conflict. I like the idea of Eldar's triggering the Necrons in the first place. Some people might argue that the Eldar would NEVER do such a thing, but perhaps that's exactly why they were successful ^_^

Well, a Xenobiology Research Station is where Imperial scientists dissect dead xenos, so we can learn how to kill them better. I think the Adeptus Mechanicus sponsor that. Perhaps some more fanatical Sororitas Orders would consider it heretical, even more so if perhaps they had the body of an Eldar leader or an artefact. Possibly the Imperial Guard would get angry at the scientists for not warning them that an Eldar attack might be the result. If we draw up a mission outline, I can add it to the Mission List in post #3, and I'll update that according to what we've been discussing (I'll also post my general outline of how I see the plot advancing).

Plus, sounds like something the Eldar would do, those manipulative xeno creeps.

All good bro. I take it there is a Xenobiology plant model made somewhere?

Yeah, confession, not looked at Reapers map in detail, but I imagine if disorganization would have a part to play in the campaign, it would indeed be mission 1.

And about modding ME for Soulstorm, anyone got any ideas about how to do that? It appears to be the internnet's best kept secret...

All good bro. I take it there is a Xenobiology plant model made somewhere?

Yeah, confession, not looked at Reapers map in detail, but I imagine if disorganization would have a part to play in the campaign, it would indeed be mission 1.

And about modding ME for Soulstorm, anyone got any ideas about how to do that? It appears to be the internnet's best kept secret...

Well, as I understand it, people just use the Dark Crusade thing, there is no mod for Soulstorm proper. It's alright though, the maps are compatible with Soulstorm. Sadly, I would be making my own maps, but I only have Soulstorm, which means I don't have Dark Crusade, although I can play all the races (a friend, erm... cheated when acquiring it for me - I am buying it though). And you need Dark Crusade to use the Mission Editor.

As for the Xenobiology Station, I'm not sure if there is a model for it, but I was thinkign some kind of interior map might be nice. I got the idea from this Forge World piece:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/DefaultFW/xlarge/dtable.jpg

EDIT: Also, if you need reference for anything that might be related to it, I am going to be making an updated version of the Planetary Map on page 1, but use that one for anything plot-wise.

I wanted the Map Editor to dabble with some of my own designs. Your project has inspired me to try a similiar linear story campaign myself. So, I am hoping i can pick up some know-how here whilst we work on this beauty of yours. Got me a fairly crap mapon the go but its early days. Trying to work out how to begin a mission with some units and no base but that's another story (literally!)

Later today, hopefully, I will send your way some more mission info / plot stuff. It may be the same missions I've already sent you, but containing whatever you have instructed that I had missed or altered with some more Victory perks to boot.

Oh, and lastly, I'm not actually clear on how this will all come together multiplayer wise. For example, Me, you, Tom, Dick, and Harry, all wish to play this campaign. Me and you (IG and Necrons respectively) play Mission 1. You win. Let's just say for the next level, there is another three armies. 1) It is now me, you, Tom, Dic, and Harry, all on one level. How did Tom, Dick, and Harry manage to join the game, and 2) How does the PC recall you won the last mission and have some perks? Ignore my idiocy if this is something that you have not got around to working yet. Just not sure if you have a means in mind yet or not.

Oh, and lastly, I'm not actually clear on how this will all come together multiplayer wise. For example, Me, you, Tom, Dick, and Harry, all wish to play this campaign. Me and you (IG and Necrons respectively) play Mission 1. You win. Let's just say for the next level, there is another three armies. 1) It is now me, you, Tom, Dic, and Harry, all on one level. How did Tom, Dick, and Harry manage to join the game, and 2) How does the PC recall you won the last mission and have some perks? Ignore my idiocy if this is something that you have not got around to working yet. Just not sure if you have a means in mind yet or not.

Good question. This is how I see it working:

It may seem restricting for each of the players, but of course, there is always the option of changing something around.

Really, each player would be assigned to one of the factions, as detailed in Post #2. From then on, we would have some kind of computer keep track of who wins each battle, tallying the various perks and such each faction gains. the Campaign would not progress necessarily one after the other in immediate succession. I intend to have it sort of like the Skirmish map thing, where you select which of the missions you want to play, so you don't have to do it in one sitting (of course, you'd have to do them in order and the next mission would unlock after you finish the previous one). I'm not sure how to program the game to do that, but no doubt eventually we'd find some computer wizard to do this.

The idea of having each player have a faction is so they get attached to it. The Campaign as I see it is meant to be played by LAN, which is more fun, but if you schedule it, it could be played over the Internet. Really this started as an idea I had to spice up my LAN parties with my friends, where we always played the same armies in DoW, and developed rivalries, but never actually made a story.

While some players are sitting out, they could play another game, or observe, or heck, if we get around to it, maybe even play a sort of side Campaign! I'd like to see if you think this wouldn't be all that fun, but in my group it would work (and we're pretty strange, so it's likely different for everyone else).

Also, if I've left a point unaddressed or am not making myself clear in something, be sure to let me know.

Two last things:

Firstly, perhaps we could find some way to link our two Campaigns? Not necessary story-wise or anything, perhaps only in the mechanics, and in each download, we could say: "Hey, check out this other great Campaign!" or something. What's your idea for it anyway?

Secondly, how do you intend to send me this information about things? Should I send you a PM with my e-mail address, or will you send me a PM with the info, or will you post it here?

Linking the campaigns story-wise would prove very difficult as mine is on a totally different planet that does actually exist in the War40K universe. For now I'm looking at a handful of singleplayer missions. If I can apply a 'two-player' touch to these missions, then that would be great. I will PM you further details. Its not that I'm keeping it secret, it just involves some external sources who have been made aware of my intent who I'd rather not have bothered over questions about my campaign, so, check your PMs, Normish.

I don't really have access to LAN parties myself, but I really can see the appeal. Its a far better (and rewarding idea) than say, 'leagues' or something. If it is to be tailored for LAN or a very close-nitted community of regular gamers, then to be honest, I would suggest (and I know his has been discussed, but hear me out) as more of a campaign map like we have seen in DC and SS.

You have currently got some Missions structured from 1-11. Why not do exactly like the DC/SS campaign and give dominion of these regions to each of your players, but also keep each level a mission within itself. This is actually far better than the original game DC and SS campaigns for the following reasons... (big breath).

Both Dark Crusade and Soulstorm sportt some excellent levels where there is a lot to do, a lot to keep you on your toes for, and a lot that can mess up your base if not done properly, but hang on, here I'm just referring to the HQ levels!! What about the rest of the levels, particularly Soulstorm? Well... Sadly, they are merely skirmishes and the only way they get more difficult is by sometimes giving them another base (AI) to go against you. These levels ocntian no dialogue, and a purely skirmishes, which is downright rubbish, and I feel this is where the DC/SS campaigns fall over. At least Dark Crusade did give you a few other levels with some kind of new objecitive, but even so, the objective was all that was different. Essentially, a skirmish with a new win condition. DC (and DC alone) did have one or two moments like, taking out the orks in Van De Mar (?) mountains with your vast (though limited) army.

For me, the only problem with these mapped campaigns we've seen thus far, is that they are for the most part, 'skirmishes in disguise'. If you could have each level say, as wholesome and fulfilled as any of the HQ / Stronghold levels, then you have a good war on your hands.

Forget 'Skirmish', we want 'War'!

All the same, linear stories are often the best told stories, and I find this to be the tricky compromise. Though rather than having a 'general campaign', how's about each race has their OWN campaign to follow and their own story to tell. There will no doubt be massive difficulties in creating this style, but ersonally, I have no idea if they would be anymore difficult than what you presently have planned. Anyway, there are plenty ofpros and cons on this style, so for ease it may be worht going with your original idea, but that's my two shillings.

Also, on my campaign, that will tkae years as I have no knowledge yet of Mission-making. Now, I can make a map easily enough on the Moodtools Mission Editor, but that's just i. I have played a lot of mod maps and NONE are mission, they are all skimply skirmish maps. That's not to say I've been there done that and they don't exist, I'm sure they do, but they are certainly outnumbered. So, for my campaign, I'm currently trying to operate the Attribute Editor which keeps dying on me whenever I open it even when left for fifteen minutes. My PC is really not up for this task - lol.

I know what you mean about map campaigns. I think Reaper297 and I discussed it earlier, and we agreed that a linear plot would be best for the story. As in, there is a general story, but the specifics would be decided by how you play. For example, I play the Imperium, and my friend Phillip (not real name) plays the Orks. Phillip wins the most battles against me and the other players, so he obviously has the advantage for the final missions. The winning side is not fixed in the story (unlike how it was for the original DoW: the Space Marines win no matter what), but how the story progresses might be different.

Right, good stuff. I'm off to Blackpool for four days but when I get back I should have some plot stuff for ye. You can take out parts you don't like and such, but I intend to look at your missions thus far, and try making some story between each involved race on that level, why they are there, and what they have to gain from being / winning there. That's probably the simplest way of moving this forward. Unlike my previous one's, I will keep it all in line with what you have done yourself.

Oh, and you said you liked the idea of the WAAAGH! (When the orks win on a particular level they gain the WAAAGH! which meant where possible they get 'Easy AI'assistance. Perhaps the Space Marines could be a similiar thing? However, I note they currently get missions of there own, so perhaps not. Also, back to the WAAAGH!, perhaps when there are no available slots for an AI ally, then perhaps the ork player just starts off with additional slugga units OR, begins the level with 'More Boyz For The WAAAGH!' ability already researched (it is normally one of the later researches and means whenever you buy Sluggas they are free of charge to recruit, though I believe when you reinforce that unit you have to pay the 30 req). Mmmm... more food for thought.

begins the level with 'More Boyz For The WAAAGH!' ability already researched (it is normally one of the later researches and means whenever you buy Sluggas they are free of charge to recruit, though I believe when you reinforce that unit you have to pay the 30 req).

Oh God no! That would be insanely unfair if the Ork player could spam Slugga Boyz that early on. I can barely beat them regularly!

lol. That is true, Hopefully other players would have a few perks of their own but that is a bit insanely good. lol - didn't put much thought into that. But allowing orks to start off with a limited number of slugga squads at hand can be done very easily. Though this sort of thing happened a lot in DC and SS and it did mean you killed off one AI in about 5 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone still following this, just so you know, I am working on it, it's just that I can't currently have access to Dawn of War, due to a lack of a computer. I am however still thinking about it, although, in quite a narcissistic manner, only in the context of my Chapter's history. I promise however to have something further on this by the end of the month or so, byt he time my college workload will have decreased (I think).

Also, we're always on the lookout for more project members, particularly in the areas of programming and map-making.

We need people to:

Make maps based on the specifications detailed earlier in the thread.

Program some sort of interface which can be loaded up from the Dawn of War "Switch Games" (or whatever) menu.

Also, if anyone can do any artwork (mine stinks), it would be appreciated.

Additionally, we need people who can think of a good visual presentation. This includes level transitions, as well as a way to make default color schemes that would last for the entire Campaign.

Also, an option is to work on cut scenes and voice acting (though you likely wouldn't be needed until late in the project).

Forgot to mention, we need someone to start work on the .pdf as well. Or, someone could direct me towards a template.

EDIT: Boosh! One thousand posts!

@The Normish: Do you mean the game manager menu? If so I have that part already done. As for artwork what exactly are you looking for? Seeing as I have access to a tablet nearly everyday(Yay for school!) I can draw some stuff up if needed.

Also do you want that coded beta or should I keep a hold of it for now?

@The Normish: Do you mean the game manager menu? If so I have that part already done. As for artwork what exactly are you looking for? Seeing as I have access to a tablet nearly everyday(Yay for school!) I can draw some stuff up if needed.

Also do you want that coded beta or should I keep a hold of it for now?

I would keep a hold of it, since I can't understand code, and don't have Dawn of War available to run. Do you have some artwork samples you could show me?

Glad to hear from you again, incidentally.

Archived