IA: Death Heads

Donkey Kong

Edit: The most recent updates are on the last page. Please look there before commenting, thanks!

Original Post:

Following the example of Codex Grey, I find it fit to attempt to see the current view of the Chapter and catch any outside input that may have escaped development.

Completed IA found here:

Death Heads

The piece at the top was done by Codex Grey.

Edited by KingHongKong

In my opinion, the IA is pretty good as it stands. But if you want to continue working on them I'd suggest looking at the aspects of them that don't fit into an IA. Here is my WIP attempt for the Lions. Just to give you some ideas to think about. But like I said, I think it's time you started to think outside the box, or was it IA?

But like I said, I think it's time you started to think outside the box, or was it IA?

I agree. I'll be using this thread to address other aspects of the Chapter that don't fit in the IA, however, any commentary on the IA itself is still more than welcome. I'd also like to retype the Battle Cry section which was more or less typed late at night and while I was half asleep.

For kicks, I'd like to give the First Company a name (Salamanders: Firedrakes, Dark Angels: Deathwing, etc.), albeit I have no idea what it would be.

I'd also like to settle that internal debate on whether or not the Captains should wear gold armor (with molded abs and pecks) like the Blood Angels.

The Perditia Campaign takes place 200 years before the end of the current 40k timeline, so 2 Charts are going to be made.

The Perditia Campaign:

Captains:

Captain Lucil Tobulo, First Company Captain

Captain Strabo Thussaud, Second Company Captain

Captain Tomaj Barbari, Third Company Captain

Captain Roca Filo, Fourth Company Captain

Several members of the four companies play more important roles in the Perditia Campaign.

Force to aid Arctic Lions during the assault on the "World Train" (until a better name pops up)

First Company: To clarify, I am of the belief that Terminators squads are normally arranged like Deathwing/ Wolfguard squads with veterans being allowed to choose the load out of their choice. I also like the believe that the World Train is going to be a battlefield not unlike a very linear Space Hulk, meaning that terminators are going to make or break it, and because it moves so quickly, jump pack assault squads are going to find themselves several train cars behind if they even bother.

(Terminator armor) Champion Narrik (Power Sword, Storm Bolter)

(Terminator armor) Master of Sanctity Miguelo (Crozius Arcanum, Storm Bolter)

(Terminator armor) Veteran Sergeant Balthamo (Power Sword, Storm Bolter)

(Terminator armor) Brother Arcturo (Power Fist, Storm Bolter)

(Terminator armor) Brother Moik (Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield)

(Terminator armor) Brother Laffiti (Power Fist, Heavy Flamer)

(Terminator armor) Brother Barssaud (Chain Fist, Storm Bolter)

(Terminator armor) Veteran Sergeant Pantilimon (Power Sword, Storm Bolter)

(Terminator armor) Brother Roux (Power Fist, Assault Cannon)

(Terminator armor) Brother Nikolo (Power Fist, Storm Bolter)

(Terminator armor) Brother Tryphe (Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield)

(Terminator armor) Brother Cosmo (Lightning Claws)

Infiltration Squad Jackobi (scouts, carapace armor) (This is another "just my opinion" if not "Death Heads" Scouts are veterans, Neophytes are kids with bolters, boltpistols, knives and guts wrapped in Carapace armor and thrown at the enemy. The Death Heads also have infiltration squads which wear power armor and are not unlike the BOLS Badab Campaign Mantis Warriors Tranquility Snipers Both may have to be edited in the IA).

Camo-cloaks, sniper rifles, heavy bolter, teleport homer

Second Company:

Captain Strabo Thussaud (Relic Blade, plasma pistol)

Command Squad

Apothecary, champion, flamer

Lexicanum

Chaplain

Veteran Squad Solssaud (10 Sternguard Veterans)

Combi-flamers, heavy flamers

I'll characterize them when I have more time, after finals.

Ferrus, tell me what you think, since this is your shining moment in the Campaign.

Edited by KingHongKong

I'd also like to settle that internal debate on whether or not the Captains should wear gold armor (with molded abs and pecks) like the Blood Angels.

I've alway had the feeling that DH Captains are very individualistic. Each to his own I say. If one of them is a very proud fellow, with a large horde of trophies and likes to show it, I could see him painting his armor gold, or at least add a lot of gold to his armor (Narrik?). But maybe you have another captain, who is less concerned with showing off, thinking only off the fight and his brothers, choosing to keep the traditional green of hope as a sign of kinship with his men (Howl?)

In short, I would let it be up each Captain. Less rules is only fitting for the DH, methinks.

Edited by Codex Grey

I'm with CG on this one. I always saw these guess as very individual and different, with no two Brother's armour being alike - more so than with most other Chapters.

Ferrus, tell me what you think, since this is your shining moment in the Campaign.

I think that realistically, they only need to add the Terminators to the Lions Strike Force. I mean, apart from having large volume of the strength and power of TDA that will be needed to take the train, the Lions have a Company w/ Scouts. However, I have a little idea for the two Scout squads working together, so I'd be happy to have those. So I guess I'd just suggest dropping the 2nd Company elements, as they could be put to better use in other areas of fighting. But, like you mentioned, I think teleport attacks will be the main tactic of the day.

I think that realistically, they only need to add the Terminators to the Lions Strike Force.

I am aware of there being a squad of Terminators and a squad of Scouts with the Arctic Lions Third Company. However, I don't know whether these are squads of 5 or 10. Also, just because I'm curious, how much of the Company is being put on the train? Keep in mind this is a huge train responsible for carrying people and goods around the city network, and, while I haven't said it before, the Imperium is more likely than not interested in taking it intact.

I am aware of there being a squad of Terminators and a squad of Scouts with the Arctic Lions Third Company. However, I don't know whether these are squads of 5 or 10. Also, just because I'm curious, how much of the Company is being put on the train?

Scout = 10

Terminators = 5

And I think it will most likely be the 2 Assault Squads, Command Squad, Arnkel and other Commanders plus the more Veteran Tactical Squads. As well as the Terminators and the Scouts (who will most likely be finding a way to stop the train in its tracks so that the Thunderhawks can bomb it to dust.

who will most likely be finding a way to stop the train in its tracks so that the Thunderhawks can bomb it to dust.

Erm, Ferrus :P :

Keep in mind this is a huge train responsible for carrying people and goods around the city network, and, while I haven't said it before, the Imperium is more likely than not interested in taking it intact.

ie: DON'T BLOW UP THE TRAIN :P !

Also

2 Assault Squads

just keep this in mind:

jump pack assault squads are going to find themselves several train cars behind if they even bother.

Just how stupid fast the train moves.

So, let's move your ideas into the Perditia thread and discuss this further there. The list of troops assigned to taking the train, armaments, strategies, ideas for defenses on and around the train, so on and so forth.

For kicks, I'd like to give the First Company a name (Salamanders: Firedrakes, Dark Angels: Deathwing, etc.), albeit I have no idea what it would be.

Hmm. A name for the Death Heads' first company?

How about something to do with the giant squids from their homeworld? Or is that overplaying that part of the theme?

That said, I also have the mental image of the First Company wearing deliberately rust-coloured metal decorations (including metal skull masks) so it looks like they've just marched off of the sea-bed. But again, an actual suggestion for a name escapes me.

As for the gold armour and stuff:

Narrick: If he doesn't have more gold than green on his armour, something has gone wrong. Narrick likes everyone to know how good he is, right? :P

Filo/Tobulo: Not so likely. I see Tobulo especially as wearing only enough gold armour to denote him as Chapter Master, although I don't doubt for a second the man has a lot of trophies on his green armour.

Of course, it's your chapter, so the decision on 'to be gold or not to be gold' is ultimately yours. :P

And one day I'll write something for the Death Heads or the campaign when it's not ten minutes to midnight, and I might be capable of a bit more sense. :P

Hopefully my late-night/very early morning ramblings still contain something useful.

How about something to do with the giant squids from their homeworld? Or is that overplaying that part of the theme?

I think it would be over the top. Also, I don't really want to call them Krakens and have the whole confusion between my First Company and the Hive Fleet.

That said, I also have the mental image of the First Company wearing deliberately rust-coloured metal decorations (including metal skull masks) so it looks like they've just marched off of the sea-bed. But again, an actual suggestion for a name escapes me.

Sounds like you saw the first Pirates of the Caribbean, or at least the end sequence, recently :D . I'm kind of against it, besides, I think most Death Heads would call something rusty (or rust brown) trash.

Narrick: If he doesn't have more gold than green on his armour, something has gone wrong. Narrick likes everyone to know how good he is, right?

Filo/Tobulo: Not so likely. I see Tobulo especially as wearing only enough gold armour to denote him as Chapter Master, although I don't doubt for a second the man has a lot of trophies on his green armour.

Alright then, I think it'll be on a Captain by Captain basis then. All of them will have molded armor though (abs, pecks, the works). I imagine Narrik to have completely gold armor, maybe keeping his power pack or just the center of it green. I imagine Filo to follow a more conservative approach, albeit an open one, having a Scythes of the Emperor style scheme with green arms and legs and gold torso, cod piece and power pack. I imagine Tobulo and Thussaud would have a similar scheme with Filo, with more gold trimmings. Barbari would follow Narrik more, more gold, less reserved pride about his position.

As far as names go for the First Company, I'm brainstorming some ideas in my half asleep sate.

The first is relatively stupid, however must be said anyway:

Men'o'War (like the jellyfish): While it's responsible for enough stings and deaths to be frightening, there's something about calling super human monsters vital to the survival of humanity jellies that just rubs me the wrong way, no pun intended.

Medusas: Calling them Medusas brings up an issue of 1. Hermaphrodites and, more importantly, 2. Confusion with the Sons of Medusa and the home world of the Iron Hands.

Cecaelias: Calling them Cecaelias has appeal, albeit the issue of hermaphrodites is still there since most are portrayed as women and it's the equivalent of calling them mermaids.

Mermen: Which brings me to mermen which, while it works, is kind of like calling the first company fairy boys, depending on what portrayal of mermen you choose to take.

The other options are somewhat more masculine and threatening.

Note: all below have two options, the shorter one (Bulls, Tigers, etc.) and a longer one (Bull Sharks, Tiger Sharks, etc.)

Bulls (Bull Shark): Unpredictable, aggressive, I just don't know whether or not I like the name (y'know, like Bull :cuss )

Hammerheads (Hammerhead Shark): I like the play on Thunder Hammers and also the expanded significance of 'Heads', however, there is still the confusion between the Hammerhead First Company and the Tau Hammerhead Tank. Before anyone suggests it, I'm not a fan of winghead.

Tigers (Tiger Shark): One of the most dangerous species, I also like the idea of painting stripes on the First Company. However, there's still the possible confusion between them and the Tau Tiger Shark.

Makos (Mako Shark): Sort of dangerous. It's more or less interesting to me because of the movie Deep Blue Sea with super intelligent Makos. Nothing remarkable, albeit, not taken by Fish Head Tau, so still alright.

Great Whites (Great White Sharks): Of jaws fame, aggressive, dangerous, I like it, and *quickly checks* the Fish Head Tau haven't taken it yet :D ! I also like the idea of painting the First Company white, albeit I'm sure someone will accuse me of coping the Deathwing. Another thing, I think the 'Great' is kind of redundant, and Whites just sounds like the KKK. Other names for the Great White are: White pointer, White shark and White Death. I don't know what pointer means, White Sharks is alright, but nothing mind blowing and White Death, while awesome, is the nickname of Simo Hayha, thus making my Company pale in comparison to a famous Finnish sniper.

I hope to avoid naming them Meaglodons, just because.

The option that doesn't concern Sharks (and I'm not just calling them Sharks because it's pretty silly, albeit, it gives me the idea of using shark jaws on the First Company banner) is Orcas. Orcas are simply awesome. They're dolphins so they have the protective mythology surrounding them. They basically kill everything. They also give me the opportunity to pain the First Company black and white so that they can be confused with dairy cows /sarcasm. The only problem, the fish heads took it to name a drop ship.

So, what do you all think?

Edited by KingHongKong

Makos is also used by Star Trek, though in the form of an elite Military organization called "MACO" (the Mako shark was their badge).

Other options include:

The Tritons

The Umibozu (also used as the name for an elite special forces unit in the JMSDF in anime TV series: Ghost in the Shell: SAC)

The Naga

Edited by Heru Talon

Makos is also used by Star Trek, though in the form of an elite Military organization

That one doesn't bother me as much since I'm not a huge Star Trek fan. However, there is also the name of the tank, or probably AFV, that is in Mass Effect.

I like Tritons, but the other two don't really fit with the Chapter, it has more Mediterranean themes and Umibouz and Naga are both Asian.

I'd still like to decide between the Bull, Tiger, Hammerhead and Great White though.

Makos is also used by Star Trek, though in the form of an elite Military organization

That one doesn't bother me as much since I'm not a huge Star Trek fan. However, there is also the name of the tank, or probably AFV, that is in Mass Effect.

I didn't bring up the Star Trek reference to say "this is a bad idea". I was saying it is a name linked to an elite military unit, which lends well to being associated with an elite military unit in the 40k'verse (like a Space Marine Veteran Company).

I'd still like to decide between the Bull, Tiger, Hammerhead and Great White though.

Well you could call the company something along the lines of the "Shark Warriors/Guard/whatever", and have each squad named after a different shark. You could also give each squad a banner with the shark they are named after painted on it. It also helps fight off the whole Tau association.

Edited by Heru Talon

I didn't bring up the Star Trek reference to say "this is a bad idea". I was saying it is a name linked to an elite military unit, which lends well to being associated with an elite military unit in the 40k'verse (like a Space Marine Veteran Company).

Sorry :P , I guess I was really just clueless when you brought it up. I was thinking along my own lines of association (ie: if it's not at least fractionally unique, then it's probably not the best bet).

Well you could call the company something along the lines of the "Shark Warriors/Guard/whatever", and have each squad named after a different shark. You could also give each squad a banner with the shark they are named after painted on it.

While a good and valid suggestion, I'd like to avoid something like this. I want a unified group.

Another possibility could be something including the word Requiem, the family Tiger, Bull, Blue and Milk Sharks belong to. The actual word is also pretty moving, "a mass for the dead", even though the name for the Sharks is derived from the French for shark, requin.

Final Exams are now done (alright, I have CPR class and Gym tomorrow, no biggie), so back to expanding on the Death Heads ;) !

The primary goal as of now is characterization.

First Captain Lucil Tobulo

Venerable, wise and deadly, Tobulo is the First Captain of the Death Heads. He is an open minded tactician, eager to share information in exchange for learning more. Tobulo is a strong believer of humanity's needs, and is eager to support them in any way he can, most often in crusading against the Enemies of the Imperium, alien and domestic.

Second Captain Strabo Thussaud

Mentor.

Third Captain Tomaj Barbari

Spirit.

Fourth Captain Roca Filo

The protegee of the Death Heads Chapter, Roca Filo is a rising star within the Death Heads Chapter. Having served for three centuries, Filo has developed multiple lasting bonds with his brothers and members of brother Chapters. During his time in the First Company, Filo served under Captain Lucil Tobulo and campaigned alongside Strabo Thussaud's Second. Appreciative and eager to please, Filo took well to their teachings. Both senior members of the Chapter took part in molding Filo into the warrior, and leader, he has come to be.

Filo is young for a Captain of the Death Heads. To many, he is still naive, too humane for command and too inexperienced to truly lead. Although a zealot true to the Chapter's cult, his hatred and spiritual fears are not as devout as his criticizers. Filo's mind and devotions have been guided by the venerable Tobulo, calling upon Filo's already kind nature. His eagerness to please was pulled away from him, in its stead he was given only respect. It was not his role to fulfill the requests of others, but to meet the needs of the Imperium that he could with his own decisions and integrity. For Filo, the purpose of the Astartes is to walk side by side with humanity, defending them from the darkness. For this, he is hailed as an example for what the Death Heads should be.

Filo's kindness rarely extends beyond members of his own Chapter, often branching into the ranks of brother Chapters and rarely if ever into the human population of the Imperium. However, he still holds only the purest intentions. A fine warrior, Filo numbers amongst the best in the Chapter. Filo keeps a number of treasured trophies on his person, however his time of actively collecting fetishes to adorn his armor is long over.

Master of Sanctity Miguelo

The eldest non Dreadnought member of the Chapter, Miguelo has served the Chapter for nearly a millennium. The Death Heads choose their Chaplains carefully, and Miguelo's passionate fire has yet to wane in all his centuries of service. Miguelo's trophies are relics of the Chapter and he prides himself on knowing their histories with the skill of Lexicanums.

Miguelo has been responsible for the induction of several of the Chapters most famous members including Pantilimon, Narrik, Thussaud and Filo. Miguelo's word carries great weight in the Chapter, and it is his word that has influenced the more prominent Captains to take a humane stance, knowing the Astartes to be the servants of Humanity, the Emperor's chosen people, and not their oppressors. Ferocious in combat and zealous in faith, Miguelo leads Death Heads with unmatchable bravado.

First Company Champion Astos Narrik

Dogmatic, eager to please, and a skilled warrior, Narrik is the greatest warrior in the Death Heads next to Chapter Master Nemo and First Captain Tobulo. Like Filo, Narrik spent some time under Thussaud and has spent even longer in the service of Tobulo as his Champion. However, unlike Filo, Narrik was alienated by the Veteran's methods of teaching. Narrik, bordering on four centuries of experience, is still deemed unfit for command by Tobulo.

Narrik's interests are exclusively personal, his desire for self advancement and refusal to learn have placed placed him in a rut that Lucil Tobulo is sure to keep him in until the day he dies, although his combat prowess makes that day unlikely to occur any time in the near future. Where Filo has long given up trophies, Narrik wears only the reclaimed relics that he has taken from looting xenos, refusing to wear anything unholy that would stain his armor.

Appearance wise, Tobulo, Narrik and Filo all look extremely similar. Strong built, capable soldiers, Tobulo, Narrik and Filo all match the customary Klysian warriors. Curly, blonde hair, all cropped in a similar fashion with youthful, but defined features. Tobulo looks a generation older than his younger Brothers, and Narrik and Filo are only truly separated by their armor and body language.

Armor wise:

Filo:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/sm.php?b62c=@iaig8_hMC1N.h1VNS@.@@@@@ia3h6@hPTKZ@@@@@@@______________________hOwb6.@@@@@@@@@@.@@hQJ6wiakk7&

Tobulo and Thussaud would wear similar colors, albeit all would have unique red markings and trophies.

Narrik and Barbari would wear more gold.

Question: Filo is supposedly 'young for a captain' but he has to be at least two hundred years old on account of being part of the Perditia Campaign? That doesn't seem to make sense to me. If you take the idea that the average marine lives for about 300-400 years, he's been captain for nearly half his life time. Most of my Captains weren't ( or just barely) marines at the time of the Perditia Campaign.

EDIT: unless we are talking at the time of the Perditia Campaign? In which case, it's all good. :D

Edited by Ferrus Manus

EDIT: unless we are talking at the time of the Perditia Campaign? In which case, it's all good. biggrin.gif

You hit the nail on the head. The lines so far outline the Characters 2 centuries before the Time of Ending. Filo is 300 during the Perditia Campaign.

During the Time of Ending:

- Tobulo is Chapter Master

- The Second Company is wiped out and replaced by the Eleventh under Narrik

- Barbari is dead, his successor is Chevo Quorra, another young Captain (probably a century to half a century younger than Filo)

- Filo is 500 years old, and I'm considering electing him to replace Tobulo as First Captain

- Miguelo is still Master of Sanctity

etc.

- Miguelo is still Master of Sanctity

Tough little bugger, isn't he?

While I don't necessarily like the color scheme for the death heads, I really like the article behind them, and I honestly cannot suggest any kind of improvements, really.

While I don't necessarily like the color scheme for the death heads

I hope that assessment isn't just based off of the picture of Filo, it didn't come out that well, <_< . To clarify, Captains have molded armor similar to the Blood Angels Sanguinary Guard, and the yellow in the picture is supposed to be a gold/ bronze color. Filo basically makes use of a scheme similar to that of the Mentors or Scythes of the Emperor. The Captains also all have helmets similar to the Dark Elf Hero Lokhir Fellheart model, hence Ferrus' squid head below.

A Death Head marine would be colored more like this:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/sm.php?b62c=@hMC1N_hKNnN.hBgCA@h1VNS@@@@@ia3h6@.@@iaig8iaig8@@@@@__@@__@@@@@@@@@@@@@@.hk9f9@@@@@@@@@@h1VNS@@.iakk7&

Albeit, the legs would look more like this:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/6/65/White_Scars_Marine.png

Death Heads mark themselves with red, so, it's more or less custom for a marine to mark themselves however they like.

I was bored, so I came up with this:

Certainly looks like something out of Cthulhu :D !

If you could PM me a SMP image, with a gridded background I'll give a 'typical' marine ago.

Same for Ace and CG, if they happen to read this. A few ideas of what you think would make them out to would be nice. <_<

Edited by Ferrus Manus

If you could PM me a SMP image, with a gridded background I'll give a 'typical' marine ago.

Same for Ace and CG, if they happen to read this. A few ideas of what you think would make them out to would be nice. :)

Which version of the painter should we be using, out of curiosity?

Well, the Death Heads look the business with the new painter, that's for sure.

I certainly approve of the dark-green soft armour, instead of black. Very nice!

The characterizing of your captains (and miguelo) is coming along great so far.

I'm all for promoting Filo to First Captain in the present day, although I'll admit I might be biased since I was writing the guy's story in the campaign. :mellow:

Thank you, Ferrus! You're going to have teach me some of your secrets so I stop relying on more technologically literate people than myself!

Ooooooh, Right on, that's definitely a feasible color scheme, in my opinion.

Thank you, DKC, I knew you'd see the light :D !

I certainly approve of the dark-green soft armour, instead of black. Very nice!

It's a lighter gray, but if it looks nice, it doesn't really matter!

The characterizing of your captains (and miguelo) is coming along great so far.

I'm all for promoting Filo to First Captain in the present day, although I'll admit I might be biased since I was writing the guy's story in the campaign.

I just think it's going to be a pain once I delve into the Terminator squads.

Miguelo was actually inspired by my progress into Helsreach, the Death Heads needed a Chaplain who was venerable and willing to get his hands dirty. Basically, everything I like about Cassius (venerable), Ulrik (mentor/ inductor), and Grimaldus (all around bad ass) in one character. I was going to write about how Miguelo had a skull helm that looked like a crocodile, until realizing my own IA was against that.

The grinning crocodile grin Reclusiarch is still up for grabs, I guess!

The problem with Filo being promoted to First Captain is that he is, by my own hand, a young captain. there are several more experienced Captains than him, and I'm sure that they would be more eager to have one of their own in the position than the Captain that they're most divided on. Remember, some don't even want him to be a Captain, let along Captain of the First Company (which still needs a name for those interested in giving some ideas).

I think having him nominated for the position would be something in his favor. However, I think my midnight brain fart of Filo being First Captain is a little far fetched at this point.