IA: Death Heads

Donkey Kong

Megalodon is the name for a giant, prehistoric shark. Basically a great white's big cousin.

http://www.fossilien.de/seiten/haizaehne/megalodon_weisserhai.jpg

It's used in lots of B monster movies:

Shark Attack 3: Megalodon

Megalodon

Shark Hunter

Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus

There are a series of novels called MEG, about a Megalodon.

It's honestly a really cool prehistoric sea monster, but I just don't like what's currently associated with it.

I also have a problem coping with the fact that it's called a MEGAlodon.

I certainly approve of the dark-green soft armour, instead of black. Very nice!

It's a lighter gray, but if it looks nice, it doesn't really matter!

B) It is? I mean, yeah, of course it is. I noticed that. My new bionic eye can distinguish colours just fine.

Fair point on Filo's promotion.

I guess I was a little biased. :(

Are there any other waterborne predators (other than sharks, I mean) that might suit the First company of the Death Heads?

Carcharodons?

Perhaps, but it has a ring to it that's not quite as threatening as something more specific. Also, I don't particularly like the ending "odon" for a Space Marine, it sounds too, to put it the way I see it, scientific and realistic to embody the biological phenomenon and legend that is a Space Marine veteran.

Requiem, derived from Requin: French for shark, the species name for Sharks including the Tiger and Bull, makes more sense to me as the name because of its religious use as a word to describe a mass for the dead. I just don't know how to apply it to the First Company since just calling them "The Requiem" doesn't sit well with me for some reason.

The more I think about it, I'm starting to warm up more and more to "The Tritons" as a name for them.

Are there any other waterborne predators (other than sharks, I mean) that might suit the First company of the Death Heads?

There are, but nothing quite suits the Death Heads' ferocity so much as Sharks.

Alligators and crocodiles may fit, the latter more so than the former simply because of the mythology associated with it.

Perhaps the Iron Tritons? Who have a knack for decorating their armour/ piece of armour with solely iron?

I'd go with bronze, rather than iron, but they're both good.

Tridents could also work - a weapon often associated with sea-gods from old legends and what have you. (The head of a trident would also make a sweet company badge, inceidentally.)

Perhaps the Iron Tritons? Who have a knack for decorating their armour/ piece of armour with solely iron?

:D erm ... but Narrik wears gold, and Iron isn't as shiny as gold.

Tridents could also work - a weapon often associated with sea-gods from old legends and what have you. (The head of a trident would also make a sweet company badge, inceidentally.)

It's also the heraldry of the Emperor's Spears which makes me reluctant to use it.

I'm probably going to go with something a little less blunt than a metal.

Tridents by itself is pretty threatening. Now, let's see what I'm basing this one:

Firedrakes

Ravenwing

Deathwing

Fire is the idea of an element or force in use. The Death Heads associate themselves with the sea and storms. Lightening Tritons sounds alright, but not quite as catchy. Sea Trident is redundant.

Storm Tritons, Thunder Tritons, etc.

Tritonstrikes is still silly but harks on what I'd like the name to be like.

Tritonbolts is similar to the above.

Wing makes sense because of the Chapter being the Dark Angels.

The Death Heads associate themselves more with the former than the latter (because Head has connotations that I'd rather not delve into on a family friendly forum).

Death Tritons is silly.

The heraldry for the Tritons will have something to do with a Conch, possibly a banner of someone using a Conch horn to stir the sea into a violent storm.

Although, going from the second part of the Chapter's name for a moment, you could use something like Darkskulls or similar. Have them paint/wear black skulls instead of white ones on their armour.

You could do a very different badge from the Emperor's spears, if that's a concern. Make the trident prongs smaller, and show some of the weapon's handle, perhaps. Then make it all gold, for instance. :P

Although for some reason I'm thinking a skull and crossbones for the company badge... :lol:

Although, going from the second part of the Chapter's name for a moment, you could use something like Darkskulls or similar. Have them paint/wear black skulls instead of white ones on their armour.

Or adorn their helmet with the skull of the first enemy they kill after joining the company?

Or adorn their helmet with the skull of the first enemy they kill after joining the company?

Or adorn their helmet with the skull of the strongest enemy that have killed, thereby supporting the ideal of personal accomplishment.

You could do a very different badge from the Emperor's spears, if that's a concern. Make the trident prongs smaller, and show some of the weapon's handle, perhaps. Then make it all gold, for instance.

Although for some reason I'm thinking a skull and crossbones for the company badge...

The idea of a black skull works, but it's more or less inherently there because of the Veterans' white helms.

I think the trident would be a little overbearing and out of place.

Jolly Rodger is pushing the theme, I think.

Or adorn their helmet with the skull of the strongest enemy that have killed, thereby supporting the ideal of personal accomplishment.

I actually think that these two can tie more into an inherent Chapter Cult. Bear with me as I try to draw this one out.

I imagine some part of the Death Head cult expanding on the inherent desires of Astartes: simply, an honorable death in battle. Every initiate wears a human skull, their "face" for all purposes concerning other Chapters the Death Heads do not recognize as close brothers and all humans. As they progress, their skull will change, in turn recognizing their proudest or most difficult foe.

Isaik's flaming demon face possible represents a Daemonhost he killed in the past. Monssaud's beast skull a Tyranid Synaps creature (Hive Tyrant, Carnifex or Zoanthrope).

I would imagine many Death Heads would have mutant skulls representing killed traitors (fallen Astartes, corrupt humans, etc.). This will surely bring up a certain doubt for others to have in the Death Heads, especially those who hear them refer to their blatantly heretical skull mask as their face.

I think I will call the First Company the Triton Host for the time being.

The First Company Banner will involve a Triton (effectively a merman) with a skull mask (only debate is whether it should be human or distinctly demonic and corrupt) blowing a conch horn and summoning a lance strike from the sky behind him. Basically, a more lively version of this: http://rusa1ka.deviantart.com/art/Merman-1...48?q=1&qo=1

all credit to rusa1ka

I actually think that these two can tie more into an inherent Chapter Cult. Bear with me as I try to draw this one out. I imagine some part of the Death Head cult expanding on the inherent desires of Astartes: simply, an honorable death in battle. Every initiate wears a human skull, their "face" for all purposes concerning other Chapters the Death Heads do not recognize as close brothers and all humans. As they progress, their skull will change, in turn recognizing their proudest or most difficult foe.

I like this a lot, though I'm curious as to the officers with their Kraken Helms. Are they exempt from this procedure because they have reached the pinnacle of promotion within the chapter? Or do they still mark their kills but in a different way.

Also if this is tied to the chapter cult, do the Death Heads Chaplains still wear the human-skull masks just like every other chapter or do they too have varying masks?

I really like that development of the Chapter Cult! Grey Hunter has some interesting questions, though. Personally, I'd have the Chaplains follow the same routine as the other Marines, OR, perhaps wearing a human-skull mask like regular Chaplains, but still bear the skull of their greatest kill on their shoulder or something. Maybe even mounted/incorporated on their Crozious Arcanum.

I like this a lot, though I'm curious as to the officers with their Kraken Helms. Are they exempt from this procedure because they have reached the pinnacle of promotion within the chapter? Or do they still mark their kills but in a different way.

Also if this is tied to the chapter cult, do the Death Heads Chaplains still wear the human-skull masks just like every other chapter or do they too have varying masks?

Effectively, the face of the Death Heads officer is the kraken. Where their battle brothers take on the identities of their greatest victims, the officers have reached a pinnacle of identity, the kraken.

I imagine most Chapters to have a variety of helms for their Chaplains in general. For example, I highly doubt that all Space Wolf Chaplains wear wolf skull helms like Ulrik. Chaplains will wear the helms of their predecessors and mentors, ideally passing down a regal face. Like the officers, they have reached a pinnacle of being, their skull helm.

but still bear the skull of their greatest kill on their shoulder or something. Maybe even mounted/incorporated on their Crozious Arcanum.

Too much involved, especially when a Chaplain's default weapon is effectively a hammer that they use to beat people upside the head (doesn't really leave much skull to wear). I also find incorporating it into weapons is a little silly, even with the Death Heads ideals of which accomplishment was truly their greatest. I mean, by that standing, Miguelo would have gone through 7 Croziouses, and that's if he only got a huge victory every century (highly doubtful).

but still bear the skull of their greatest kill on their shoulder or something. Maybe even mounted/incorporated on their Crozious Arcanum.

Too much involved, especially when a Chaplain's default weapon is effectively a hammer that they use to beat people upside the head (doesn't really leave much skull to wear). I also find incorporating it into weapons is a little silly, even with the Death Heads ideals of which accomplishment was truly their greatest. I mean, by that standing, Miguelo would have gone through 7 Croziouses, and that's if he only got a huge victory every century (highly doubtful).

Chapter Symbol on one Pauldron and Skull or artisitc styliasation on the other?

• 2 weeks later...
Chapter Symbol on one Pauldron and Skull or artisitc styliasation on the other?

Chaplain armor is usually a relic, I'd imagine murals and such would be a given.

As a name for the First Company, how does Triton Kin sound?

Having read over Codex Grey's Silver Skulls article, I've felt several waves of inspiration.

One thing that I would like to add would be taking skulls from kills and plating them in silver, like Grey's Silver Skulls. I think it works as a homage to their parent Chapter.

A second aspect I would like to remove from the Chapter is the use of Librarians as spiritual guides. The Death Heads value freedom above all else, except the Emperor of course. Following a Librarian seems almost like giving that up. I don't think Librarians will be suppressed, but they won't have the special treatment they receive in the Silver Skulls. The respect will still be there, and I think I might get rid of the luck factor, replacing it with red being: 1. the Emperor's color (considering the Vostroyans and the Imperial Army) and 2. a fairly easy way to designate a bloodied warrior.

The Chapter's green will still represent the hope of humanity.

what do you all think?

The following line keeps bothering me:

To manifest the terror his Chapter would inspire, Derii ordered his brothers to print a human skull on the face plate of their helms. In the beginning, the Chapter wore this fearsome symbol as their heraldry, taking up the Kraken as the Chapter took on greater portions of its homeworld's culture.

Perhaps you should reconcile the bizarre image of a :confused: OCTOPUS as Death's head (as opposed to the traditional skull) by adding this line:

Klysium's apex predator is the kraken, a cephalopod the size of a battleship.

The Klysians believe Hell lies under the sea, in water so deep and dark, it can extinguish stars. The ruler of this dark realm is Davy Jones, a giant whose head scored the sky the first and only time he set foot on land, raising storms as he sought to conquer this domain as he did the sea. The Emperor beheaded Davy Jones and threw the giant's head into the sun, sparing His land and His people the psychopomp's tyranny. Kneeling before the Emperor, Davy Jones accepted his duty- he lorded over the sea and its dead, while the Emperor lorded over the land and all who live- and was granted the Emperor's mercy. His head forever beyond his reach, Davy Jones was forced to replace it with the first creature he saw when he returned to his dark realm. The severed head, black with soot, occasionally surfaced as if to return to its place on Davy Jones' shoulders; in these moments, the head shields and eclipses the sun.

As for the First Company's nickname, how about Sea Lords?

Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

As a name for the First Company, how does Triton Kin sound?

Ooh, catchy. :tu: Go for it - I can see that working.

Having read over Codex Grey's Silver Skulls article, I've felt several waves of inspiration.

Pirate themed marines.... waves of inspiration.... I see what you did there. :rolleyes:

One thing that I would like to add would be taking skulls from kills and plating them in silver, like Grey's Silver Skulls. I think it works as a homage to their parent Chapter.

Seconded! :eek

The respect will still be there, and I think I might get rid of the luck factor, replacing it with red being: 1. the Emperor's color (considering the Vostroyans and the Imperial Army) and 2. a fairly easy way to designate a bloodied warrior.

Honestly, I liked the luck thing. It's a nice nod to all those superstitious Klysians that the Death Heads originate from, and in turn a subtle nod to the pirate theme.

Go for it - I can see that working.

Well, that's one vote in favor :P .

Honestly, I liked the luck thing. It's a nice nod to all those superstitious Klysians that the Death Heads originate from, and in turn a subtle nod to the pirate theme.

Luck may stay, I think I'll transfer it to an Astartes reasoning though (like trying to explain something with myths), off the top of my head:

It is the belief of the Death Heads that blue is the color of the negative energy within the warp. Librarians channel this energy against the Chapter's foes. However, it is a common opinion that the Librarians walk a fine line between controlling the warp and being corrupt and consumed.

Red will channel positive energy, something that those without psychic abilities can benefit from.

• 2 weeks later...

So, any other votes for or against the First Company being named the Tritonkin?

One of the edits that has to be made to the IA is the idea that the Death Heads split their First Company into 3 groups: Sternguard, Vanguard and Infiltrators. Sternguard and Vanguard will wear Terminator armor when necessary. Infiltrators will wear Carapace and Power armor depending on the situation.

This is the progress I have on characterization:

First Captain Lucil Tobulo

Venerable, wise and deadly, Tobulo is the First Captain of the Death Heads. He is an open minded tactician, eager to share information in exchange for learning more. Tobulo is a strong believer of humanity's needs, and is eager to support them in any way he can, most often in crusading against the Enemies of the Imperium, alien and domestic.

Second Captain Strabo Thussaud

Mentor.

Third Captain Tomaj Barbari

Spirit.

Fourth Captain Roca Filo

The protegee of the Death Heads Chapter, Roca Filo is a rising star within the Death Heads Chapter. Having served for three centuries, Filo has developed multiple lasting bonds with his brothers and members of brother Chapters. During his time in the First Company, Filo served under Captain Lucil Tobulo and campaigned alongside Strabo Thussaud's Second. Appreciative and eager to please, Filo took well to their teachings. Both senior members of the Chapter took part in molding Filo into the warrior, and leader, he has come to be.

Filo is young for a Captain of the Death Heads. To many, he is still naive, too humane for command and too inexperienced to truly lead. Although a zealot true to the Chapter's cult, his hatred and spiritual fears are not as devout as his criticizers. Filo's mind and devotions have been guided by the venerable Tobulo, calling upon Filo's already kind nature. His eagerness to please was pulled away from him, in its stead he was given only respect. It was not his role to fulfill the requests of others, but to meet the needs of the Imperium that he could with his own decisions and integrity. For Filo, the purpose of the Astartes is to walk side by side with humanity, defending them from the darkness. For this, he is hailed as an example for what the Death Heads should be.

Filo's kindness rarely extends beyond members of his own Chapter, often branching into the ranks of brother Chapters and rarely if ever into the human population of the Imperium. However, he still holds only the purest intentions. A fine warrior, Filo numbers amongst the best in the Chapter. Filo keeps a number of treasured trophies on his person, however his time of actively collecting fetishes to adorn his armor is long over.

Master of Sanctity Miguelo

The eldest non Dreadnought member of the Chapter, Miguelo has served the Chapter for nearly a millennium. The Death Heads choose their Chaplains carefully, and Miguelo's passionate fire has yet to wane in all his centuries of service. Miguelo's trophies are relics of the Chapter and he prides himself on knowing their histories with the skill of Lexicanums.

Miguelo has been responsible for the induction of several of the Chapters most famous members including Pantilimon, Narrik, Thussaud and Filo. Miguelo's word carries great weight in the Chapter, and it is his word that has influenced the more prominent Captains to take a humane stance, knowing the Astartes to be the servants of Humanity, the Emperor's chosen people, and not their oppressors. Ferocious in combat and zealous in faith, Miguelo leads Death Heads with unmatchable bravado.

First Company Champion Astos Narrik

Dogmatic, eager to please, and a skilled warrior, Narrik is the greatest warrior in the Death Heads next to Chapter Master Nemo and First Captain Tobulo. Like Filo, Narrik spent some time under Thussaud and has spent even longer in the service of Tobulo as his Champion. However, unlike Filo, Narrik was alienated by the Veteran's methods of teaching. Narrik, bordering on four centuries of experience, is still deemed unfit for command by Tobulo.

Narrik's interests are exclusively personal, his desire for self advancement and refusal to learn have placed placed him in a rut that Lucil Tobulo is sure to keep him in until the day he dies, although his combat prowess makes that day unlikely to occur any time in the near future. Where Filo has long given up trophies, Narrik wears only the reclaimed relics that he has taken from looting xenos, refusing to wear anything unholy that would stain his armor.

Appearance wise, Tobulo, Narrik and Filo all look extremely similar. Strong built, capable soldiers, Tobulo, Narrik and Filo all match the customary Klysian warriors. Curly, blonde hair, all cropped in a similar fashion with youthful, but defined features. Tobulo looks a generation older than his younger Brothers, and Narrik and Filo are only truly separated by their armor and body language.

From the first page.

What I'm realizing while reading this is the idea I want to have for the Death Heads and their view of humanity. Death Heads do not truly interact with humans outside of the guard, navy, mechanicus and inquisition they fight alongside. They have taken up the role of truly "walking beside" humanity and "guiding them through the darkness". I think this will promote a rather selfless attitude amongst the Death Heads, despite their individual pride. This will also aid in making Narrik a black sheep even though his combat prowess is praised by the entire Chapter.

I'm thinking of how to add to the simple similarities between Tobulo, Narrik and Filo. This is more for the ease of characterizing them in the Perditia campaign. Tobulo is a visually distinct character. He is proud, stands tall and has a stoic face and attitude. Narrik and Filo are the twins (and I am considering making Narrik and Filo even closer in age to reinforce that point, currently they're a century apart), lying on opposite ends of the spectrum of character. Narrik is selfish where Filo is selfless, Narrik is self absorbed where Filo is humble, both are proud, and they are nearly identical in appearance. Outside of armor and in fatigues or robes, Narrik and Filo should be indistinguishable aside from how they carry themselves. Filo is friendly while Narrik is inherently obnoxious and off putting.

More venerable characters will have the more self confident stature. Neophytes and new Initiates will follow the ideals of being guides for humanity, characterized by their skull and their trophies. Trophies are symbols of both personal achievement and dedication to humanity by displaying what they have helped humanity through or brought back for them.

Two common Klysian names are:

-ssaud

-ik

Should I expand the Klysian houses, these will be the first, however I will have to think of heads of houses, hopefully avoiding any distinct character (ie: the head of House ___-ssaud will not be Barssaud, Monssaud or Thussaud)

I also intended to start characterizing the Terminator squads for Perditia. As of now, I still don't know how I really want to work with them. I'm still using the Space Hulk 3rd Edition as reference for little blurbs.

(Terminator armor) Veteran Sergeant Balthamo (Power Sword, Storm Bolter)

(Terminator armor) Brother Arcturo (Power Fist, Storm Bolter)

(Terminator armor) Brother Moik (Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield)

(Terminator armor) Brother Laffiti (Power Fist, Heavy Flamer)

(Terminator armor) Brother Barssaud (Chain Fist, Storm Bolter)

(Terminator armor) Veteran Sergeant Pantilimon (Power Sword, Storm Bolter)

(Terminator armor) Brother Roux (Power Fist, Assault Cannon)

(Terminator armor) Brother Nikolo (Power Fist, Storm Bolter)

(Terminator armor) Brother Tryphe (Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield)

(Terminator armor) Brother Cosmo (Lightning Claws)

Roux is the only character I've really though anything on. I always thought that Brother Leon was kind or boring since he was defined by being quiet and letting his assault cannon speak for him. Roux was always intended to be talkative, humorous and light hearted. I imagine he would be the one to initiate a challenge with the Arctic Lions to race through the World Train and see who could finish first despite the Death Heads being outnumbered two or three to one by the Lions.

The others I really don't know. I imagine Laffiti to be somewhat short tempered and loud (bark worse than bite, but still a pretty nasty bite) and Tryphe to be headstrong and more violent than most Death Heads (meaning more violent than most Astartes). I also imagine Tryphe to be the newest Triton between the two squads, and probably holds his character simply because he is set on proving himself.

This is all midnight rambling, so any comments are more than welcome :lol: !

What theme are you trying to evoke with the name? Or what are you trying to avoid?

Tritons are the son(s) of Poseidon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triton_%28mythology%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritons

Kin means being part of a family or alike.

Combining the two: Tritonkin.

What it evokes is that the Tritonkin are the family of, or like, the storm callers and calmers of ancient mythology.

I avoid nothing, for I am Astartes and I know no fear :) !